Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Americans Flock to Mexico City, Locals Wish They Would Leave
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Americans Flock to Mexico City, Locals Wish They Would Leave
Now, this is something new. Instead of poor Mexicans flooding into this country hoping for a better life, Californians and other Americans are pouring into Mexico to live, many because it is cheap. Mexicans are not amused, as it is raising prices and gentrifying parts of Mexico City.

Quote:Fernando Bustos Gorozpe was sitting with friends in a cafe here when he realized that — once again — they were outnumbered.

“We’re the only brown people,” said Bustos, a 38-year-old writer and university professor. “We’re the only people speaking Spanish except the waiters.”

Mexico has long been the top foreign travel destination for Americans, its bountiful beaches and picturesque pueblos luring tens of millions of U.S. visitors annually. But in recent years, a growing number of tourists and remote workers — hailing from Brooklyn, N.Y., Silicon Valley and points in between — have flooded the nation’s capital and left a scent of new-wave imperialism.

The influx, which has accelerated since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and is likely to continue as inflation rises, is transforming some of the city’s most treasured neighborhoods into expat enclaves.

Quote:In leafy, walkable quarters such as Roma, Condesa, Centro and Juarez, rents are soaring as Americans and other foreigners snap up houses and landlords trade long-term renters for travelers willing to pay more on Airbnb. Taquerias, corner stores and fondas — small, family-run lunch spots — are being replaced by Pilates studios, co-working spaces and sleek cafes advertising oat-milk lattes and avocado toast.

And English — well, it’s everywhere: ringing out at supermarkets, natural wine bars and fitness classes in the park.

At Lardo, a Mediterranean restaurant where, on any given night, three-quarters of the tables are filled with foreigners, a Mexican man in a well-cut suit recently took a seat at the bar, gazed at the English-language menu before him and sighed as he handed it back: “A menu in Spanish, please.”

Some chilangos, as locals are known, are fed up.

Recently, expletive-laced posters appeared around town.

“New to the city? Working remotely?” they read in English. “You’re a f—ing plague and the locals f—ing hate you. Leave.”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fww...to-go-home
07-28-2022 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kyle Mack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati Bearcats
RE: Americans Flock to Mexico City, Locals Wish They Would Leave
03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
I found Lindsay and Amanda
[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...gos-06.jpg]
07-28-2022 11:44 AM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
BUILD A WALL !!! PLEASE !!!
07-28-2022 11:53 AM
Advertisement

miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Excellent. Let's see if Obrador changes his tune on free migration across his border.
07-28-2022 12:08 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
How's the turn tables have turned

It's funny the article says they are from NY and CA

Many Sunbelt states know the struggle the Mexicans are now facing
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2022 12:11 PM by solohawks.)
07-28-2022 12:09 PM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Mexico City has always been multiethnic.

It was founded in by Mexica in 1325, and quickly became the capital of the multiethnic Aztec Empire (an alliance of three separate peoples).

In 1529, the Spanish moved in and it became a center of trade between East, West, and South.

In 1635, Mexico City passed an anti-immigration law targeting Chinese barbers.

In 1921, Mexico City was 22% European, 18% indigenous, and 55% Mestizo. It's probably about the same today (although they no longer ask about ethnicity in the census).

Today, 11.4% of Mexico City is foreign-born, including at least 400,000 Americans. 8% of the population speaks an indigenous language as their native tongue, and there's 63 officially recognized indigenous languages from 11 different language families (meaning they're more different than English is from Hindi). About 124,000 Indigenous people in Mexico City are monolingual and don't understand Spanish.
07-28-2022 12:19 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(07-28-2022 12:09 PM)solohawks Wrote:  How's the turn tables have turned

It's funny the article says they are from NY and CA

Many Sunbelt states know the struggle the Mexicans are now facing

LOL, all of those Americans mobbing their asylum centers and processed into temporary housing on Mexico's dime...
07-28-2022 12:27 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-28-2022 11:33 AM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  Now, this is something new. Instead of poor Mexicans flooding into this country hoping for a better life, Californians and other Americans are pouring into Mexico to live, many because it is cheap. Mexicans are not amused, as it is raising prices and gentrifying parts of Mexico City.

Quote:Fernando Bustos Gorozpe was sitting with friends in a cafe here when he realized that — once again — they were outnumbered.

“We’re the only brown people,” said Bustos, a 38-year-old writer and university professor. “We’re the only people speaking Spanish except the waiters.”

Mexico has long been the top foreign travel destination for Americans, its bountiful beaches and picturesque pueblos luring tens of millions of U.S. visitors annually. But in recent years, a growing number of tourists and remote workers — hailing from Brooklyn, N.Y., Silicon Valley and points in between — have flooded the nation’s capital and left a scent of new-wave imperialism.

The influx, which has accelerated since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and is likely to continue as inflation rises, is transforming some of the city’s most treasured neighborhoods into expat enclaves.

Quote:In leafy, walkable quarters such as Roma, Condesa, Centro and Juarez, rents are soaring as Americans and other foreigners snap up houses and landlords trade long-term renters for travelers willing to pay more on Airbnb. Taquerias, corner stores and fondas — small, family-run lunch spots — are being replaced by Pilates studios, co-working spaces and sleek cafes advertising oat-milk lattes and avocado toast.

And English — well, it’s everywhere: ringing out at supermarkets, natural wine bars and fitness classes in the park.

At Lardo, a Mediterranean restaurant where, on any given night, three-quarters of the tables are filled with foreigners, a Mexican man in a well-cut suit recently took a seat at the bar, gazed at the English-language menu before him and sighed as he handed it back: “A menu in Spanish, please.”

Some chilangos, as locals are known, are fed up.

Recently, expletive-laced posters appeared around town.

“New to the city? Working remotely?” they read in English. “You’re a f—ing plague and the locals f—ing hate you. Leave.”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fww...to-go-home

lol. All those progressive policies and racisim is sadly remains alive and well. Gringos better get to work voting out that element in Mexico. Wait---they dont let non-citizens vote there? How odd......
07-28-2022 01:04 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(07-28-2022 12:08 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Excellent. Let's see if Obrador changes his tune on free migration across his border.

The Mexican government is more than happy about new sources of revenue spending money in the capital city.
07-28-2022 02:11 PM
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I didn't like Mexico City when I visited. It's too big for my taste, those gringoes can stay there as far as I'm concerned. Also, Mexico passed some pretty liberal laws about homosexuals and such. They're like the bald eagles here, a protected class.

I'll bet you I know who's pretty happy that they're there though...pickpockets and muggers. These gringoes carry American cash. LOL
07-28-2022 06:13 PM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
I had a co-worker visit Mexico City on business. He told us that while he was sitting in a cab at a red light he observed a man robbing another man at knife point.
07-28-2022 06:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.