Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News US Hospitals asked to use term 'father's milk' in new language guide
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
US Hospitals asked to use term 'father's milk' in new language guide
Quote:New "gender inclusive" language guides put out by The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (ABM) are being implemented in some US hospitals. A screenshot of a language guide table was shared to Twitter on Tuesday titled "Suggested Terms in Breastfeeding and Human Lactation." On the left-hand side, a column labeled "traditional terms" includes "breast milk," while a middle column of "Gender-inclusive terms" suggests "father’s milk" as a possible alternative.

"This document was sent to me by a friend whose wife is a hospital nurse for new moms and their babies," evolutionary biologist Colin Wright Wright told The Post Millennial. "He said this new 'inclusive terminology' is being implemented at her hospital, and that nurses and other health professionals are being required to ask each patient what terms they wish to have used when discussing their care."

The guideline also includes words "chestfeeding," "human milk feeding," and "lactating person" to use in place of "traditional terms" like breastfeeding, nursing mother and breast.

Wright brought the new guidelines to light when he shared a screenshot of the suggested terms on Twitter along with two words: "Father’s milk."

"While this policy is portrayed as creating a friendly and 'inclusive' hospital atmosphere, I think most people would rather have nurses focused on more important things like medications and proper dosages instead of devoting mental real estate to memorizing lists of inane ‘inclusive’ terminology," Wright adds.

A press statement from UC Davis Health featuring medical director of the UC Davis Children’s Hospital, Laura Kair, who co-authored the new breastfeeding language guidelines, said:

"ABM recognizes that not all people who give birth and lactate identify as female, and that some individuals identify as neither female nor male. The statement states that to be inclusive to all people in written materials, the use of desexed or gender-inclusive language is appropriate in many settings."

The statement also called for "future studies to include broader gender categories and include information about hormone therapies and surgeries for transgender patients."
The ABM published its latest position statement in August of 2021, with its intended mission to affirm their "commitment to gender equality and health equity" and provide "guidelines on infant feeding and lactation-related language and gender."

Link
07-27-2022 04:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
RE: US Hospitals asked to use term 'father's milk' in new language guide
I've got to quit reading this nonsense.
07-27-2022 05:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
At this point, im not completely sure i could keep from punching someone in the face if they said fathers milk to me.
07-27-2022 05:37 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
I know what I think of when I hear that phrase and I aint be wantin' none of that.
07-27-2022 06:39 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(07-27-2022 06:39 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  I know what I think of when I hear that phrase and I aint be wantin' none of that.

03-puke03-lmfao
07-27-2022 10:50 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Who are the actual crazy people here; those mentally ill folks that claim they are not the gender that God made them or those bending over backwards changing language to accommodate and validate these fools?

So sick of this moronic nonsense.
07-27-2022 11:21 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
I say again, if God flooded the earth again I would completely understand
07-28-2022 06:04 AM
Siborg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bowling Green
(07-27-2022 10:50 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 06:39 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  I know what I think of when I hear that phrase and I aint be wantin' none of that.

03-puke03-lmfao

This.......I've heard the term used as slang for what you thought of.
07-28-2022 06:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.