Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dodd: B12 Zeroing in on Arizona, at least
Bookmark and Share
BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2022 02:33 PM by BraveKnight.)
07-27-2022 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BraveKnight Offline
All American

RE: Dodd: B12 Zeroing in on Arizona, at least
07-27-2022 02:58 PM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

If we can add one, the rest will follow. Just got to get one brave enough to jump.
07-27-2022 03:08 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Has Dennis Dodd ever been right on anything?

Seems like that guy gets quoted a lot for someone that never knows anything.
07-27-2022 06:33 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
This tweet makes a lot more sense now

Jackson
07-27-2022 06:37 PM
HornFrogFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TCU
Personally I'd still rather have Arizona and Colorado. Nothing against SDSU, but I'd love to have some of those old Big 8 rivalries back like we're getting some old SWC rivalries back with Houston.
07-27-2022 07:57 PM
Advertisement

Huan Offline
1st String

I Root For: TTU, USA,
(07-27-2022 07:57 PM)HornFrogFan Wrote:  Personally I'd still rather have Arizona and Colorado. Nothing against SDSU, but I'd love to have some of those old Big 8 rivalries back like we're getting some old SWC rivalries back with Houston.

Agree. And expands our footprints/ media markets in the process with two flagships and AAU. It is a pro growth move that should generate revenue.
07-27-2022 08:35 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-27-2022 08:35 PM)Huan Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 07:57 PM)HornFrogFan Wrote:  Personally I'd still rather have Arizona and Colorado. Nothing against SDSU, but I'd love to have some of those old Big 8 rivalries back like we're getting some old SWC rivalries back with Houston.

Agree. And expands our footprints/ media markets in the process with two flagships and AAU. It is a pro growth move that should generate revenue.

Yeah---getting into Cali is interesting---but I like the idea of being somewhat as geographically coherent a conference as possible. If we make a huge 6 or 8 team move to the west---then it might make more sense.
07-27-2022 09:16 PM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies
What has being in California done for the Pac 12 besides lead to their downswing?

We don't need that area for recruiting. We are in Florida, Ohio, and Texas for that.

So we can add a late night Saturday football game that no one watches? Um no thank you ....

If we can get Arizona plus one of Utah or Colorado (still considered a P5 even though they currently suck) the Big 12 will be in a better position.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
07-28-2022 06:39 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
I’m ok with SDSU as a means to get Arizona. However tradition matters in college football. I’d still take the four corner schools first if possible. I can see Auburn giving Colorado or Arizona st a home and home. I can’t see Auburn playing @ SDSU

Jackson
07-28-2022 08:55 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
This is the most practical lineup with SDSU and AU (2 protected rivals and 6/6 with one non-protected carryover opponent from previous year)

Pod 1: SDSU, AU, BYU
Pod 2: WVU, UC, UCF
Pod 3: ISU, KU, KSU

OSU: TCU, Baylor
TTech: TCU, Houston
Baylor: Houston, OSU
TCU: TTech, OSU
Houston: Baylor, TTech

The final piece should be adding one more ETZ school and another western school for a 4 pod setup. But they can survive indefinitely with these 14 and the PAC would be stuck at 9 schools looking at the likes of Fresno and BSU to remain competitive.
07-28-2022 09:21 AM
Advertisement

tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(07-28-2022 09:21 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  This is the most practical lineup with SDSU and AU (2 protected rivals and 6/6 with one non-protected carryover opponent from previous year)

Pod 1: SDSU, AU, BYU
Pod 2: WVU, UC, UCF
Pod 3: ISU, KU, KSU

OSU: TCU, Baylor
TTech: TCU, Houston
Baylor: Houston, OSU
TCU: TTech, OSU

The final piece should be adding one more ETZ school and another western school for a 4 pod setup. But they can survive indefinitely with these 14 and the PAC would be stuck at 9 schools looking at the likes of Fresno and BSU to remain competitive.

Baylor would be the #1 priority for protected rival for TCU.
07-28-2022 09:23 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
(07-28-2022 09:23 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  Baylor would be the #1 priority for protected rival for TCU.

Maybe something like:

OSU: TCU, TTech
TTech: OSU, Houston
Baylor: Houston, TCU
TCU: Baylor, OSU
07-28-2022 09:47 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

(07-28-2022 06:39 AM)uhmump95 Wrote:  What has being in California done for the Pac 12 besides lead to their downswing?

We don't need that area for recruiting. We are in Florida, Ohio, and Texas for that.

So we can add a late night Saturday football game that no one watches? Um no thank you ....

If we can get Arizona plus one of Utah or Colorado (still considered a P5 even though they currently suck) the Big 12 will be in a better position.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That’s a myopic point of view go ahead and look which teams have taken qbs from California and those team records.

Current starting qbs from CA: Ohio state, Bama, and Clemson. That’s not everyone but you get the point
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2022 10:06 AM by jaredf29.)
07-28-2022 09:57 AM
okiestate1979 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: oklahoma state
(07-27-2022 09:16 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 08:35 PM)Huan Wrote:  

Yeah---getting into Cali is interesting---but I like the idea of being somewhat as geographically coherent a conference as possible. If we make a huge 6 or 8 team move to the west---then it might make more sense.

look at the current map- I think the idea of being geographically coherent is out.

The big12's(or the 'new' big12 I guess lol....fortunately Texas and OU are still part of the conference) biggest problem is that they don't have any anchor/prominent programs. The biggest problem past that is that the mostly middling programs they do have has no cohesion period for the most part(geographic or otherwise).....just a random collection of non-anchor teams.

The pac right now has the same biggest problem as the big12(although you could at least say Oregon is closer to being an anchor program). But at least the pac has a sense of cohesion(for now) amongst the teams and those teams make sense together. The same cannot be said for a lot of the new big12.
07-28-2022 10:06 AM
okiestate1979 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-28-2022 08:55 AM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  I’m ok with SDSU as a means to get Arizona. However tradition matters in college football. I’d still take the four corner schools first if possible. I can see Auburn giving Colorado or Arizona st a home and home. I can’t see Auburn playing @ SDSU

Jackson

Auburn has played home and homes over the last 20 years with programs like Syracuse and West Virginia....but more recently, there last home and home contract was with penn state. Do you think penn State and Colorado/ASU are similar types of programs.....

Also consider that the sec will be moving to 9 conference games shortly. I wouldn't say it's absolutely impossible Colorado or ASU get a 1 and 1 with a team like Auburn, but it's not too damn likely either....

And outside of Oklahoma State(who has a track record of getting good 1 and 1's), the rest of the 'new' big 12 is going to have the same problem.
07-28-2022 10:11 AM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(07-28-2022 08:55 AM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  I’m ok with SDSU as a means to get Arizona. However tradition matters in college football. I’d still take the four corner schools first if possible. I can see Auburn giving Colorado or Arizona st a home and home. I can’t see Auburn playing @ SDSU

Jackson

I posted similar thinking in the Preemptive Strike thread...you don't turn down national brands - three state flagships and three AAU institutions - if they desire to be a part of your conference. The B12 is seeking legitimacy, stability and strength building toward the number three power conference. Those four corner programs help us to get there. SDSU, Memphis, et al, can be added at a later time when more of the dust settles. As many of us have mentioned - you still have programs in the eastern block when/if the ACC falls apart - that would also make great additions.
07-28-2022 10:20 AM
okiestate1979 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-28-2022 10:20 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Jackson

I posted similar thinking in the Preemptive Strike thread...you don't turn down national brands - three state flagships and three AAU institutions - if they desire to be a part of your conference. The B12 is seeking legitimacy, stability and strength building toward the number three power conference. Those four corner programs help us to get there. SDSU, Memphis, et al, can be added at a later time when more of the dust settles. As many of us have mentioned - you still have programs in the eastern block when/if the ACC falls apart - that would also make great additions.

as long as programs like Clemson, FSU, and even Miami(yes, for all their problems as a program) are in the ACC....they are going to be the #3 conference. Now they will be so far behind the sec and big10 that it's still a power 2, but Clemson is still a big deal sorta. They have a rabid and large fan base, a national identity now, and they've been to the playoff like a billion times......it doesn't matter what the tv contract legal issues are that limit it. I dont care if the tv contract pays 1 dollar to each team- as long as the acc has a program like clemson, then they are going to be better than conferences without any semblance of an anchor program. It's just that simple- the strength of a conference is based on the teams in a conference.

But past the power 2, I'm not really sure it really matters. At that point it's just about individually looking out for yourself and building your brand the best you can. The 'new' big 12 lacks any cohesion or fit amongst its schools, so you can be sure every school in it is looking out for themselves and nothing else.
07-28-2022 10:25 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

FWIW, I think the SDSU add rumors are to entice the four corner schools and not just Arizona. SDSU is considered a potential add to the P12 so if the B12 is showing interest then the P12 knows that a quality replacement may be eliminated - further weakening its stability.
07-28-2022 10:29 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(07-28-2022 10:25 AM)okiestate1979 Wrote:  
(07-28-2022 10:20 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Jackson

as long as programs like Clemson, FSU, and even Miami(yes, for all their problems as a program) are in the ACC....they are going to be the #3 conference. Now they will be so far behind the sec and big10 that it's still a power 2, but Clemson is still a big deal sorta. They have a rabid and large fan base, a national identity now, and they've been to the playoff like a billion times......it doesn't matter what the tv contract legal issues are that limit it. I dont care if the tv contract pays 1 dollar to each team- as long as the acc has a program like clemson, then they are going to be better than conferences without any semblance of an anchor program. It's just that simple- the strength of a conference is based on the teams in a conference.

But past the power 2, I'm not really sure it really matters. At that point it's just about individually looking out for yourself and building your brand the best you can. The 'new' big 12 lacks any cohesion or fit amongst its schools, so you can be sure every school in it is looking out for themselves and nothing else.

Again, I mentioned "building" the conference up to become the number three in power. The B12 is not there yet but the four corner adds help in that regard. It's all about positioning yourself for the future. It may end up the P2 and everyone else but we don't know exactly how things will look so you do what you can, and for as long as you can, to compete at the highest level and for earnings from a limited revenue pool. This is what programs like Cincinnati have had to fight through for the past two decades to land where we are now. My perspective is probably a bit different than for fans of programs that have been a part of the traditional power conferences for many decades or 50+ years. You take what you can get when you can get it...
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2022 10:40 AM by UCGrad1992.)
07-28-2022 10:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.