Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PODCAST: ECU AD Jon Gilbert discusses realignment, NIL, future scheduling, etc.
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
PODCAST: ECU AD Jon Gilbert discusses realignment, NIL, future scheduling, etc.
For those interested.

The only part that made me gag is where he said we need Charlotte to be our rival in football. 03-puke 04-cheers

Jon Gilbert

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fbonesville.net%2Fsite%2...amp;nofb=1]
07-27-2022 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

RE: PODCAST: ECU AD Jon Gilbert discusses realignment, NIL, future scheduling, etc.
(07-27-2022 09:20 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  For those interested.

The only part that made me gag is where he said we need Charlotte to be our rival in football. 03-puke 04-cheers

Jon Gilbert

Meh, I think it will end up being a positive. Play UNCC as the rivalry week game every year.

Think about it. With Thanksgiving break, students are the least likely to be in town for that game. For students in the UNC-system, even if they are out of town, they are more likely to still be somewhere else in NC than anywhere else. In other words, an ECU student that isn't in Eastern NC for Thanksgiving is more likely to be in/around Charlotte than any other conference city. Same goes for UNCC students and Eastern NC.

We can be all USF about this and turn up our nose, but we recruit the Charlotte metro pretty heavily. Over time, we'd probably get more interest out of that game than any of our out of state opponents.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2022 10:11 AM by CoastalJuan.)
07-27-2022 10:11 AM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: PODCAST: ECU AD Jon Gilbert discusses realignment, NIL, future scheduling, etc.

Jon Gilbert

clt says the eCu v Charlotte games are going to be electric. Rural school with declining enrollment vs urban school growing annually,

Light rail v freight rail
6th busiest airport in the world v runway composed of seashells and tar
07-27-2022 10:36 AM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(07-27-2022 10:36 AM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  

Jon Gilbert

clt says the eCu v Charlotte games are going to be electric. Rural school with declining enrollment vs urban school growing annually,

The guy who posts in the third person really shouldn't be throwing shade at anyone.
07-27-2022 10:42 AM
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion, Sun Belt
You could have App St, ODU, and Coastal as your rivals every year. 2 with football success, 2 with baseball success. 0 with third-person posters

[Image: HvXj.gif]
07-27-2022 10:45 AM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
(07-27-2022 10:11 AM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  

Jon Gilbert

We can be all USF about this and turn up our nose, but we recruit the Charlotte metro pretty heavily. Over time, we'd probably get more interest out of that game than any of our out of state opponents.

Love the cheap shots when they arent even accurate at all. Id recommend not listening to Central fans only about the events that lead to us having to play each other.
We didnt turn up our nose. Central wasnt our rival. We had never played them. Then we sign a four game series. We beat them every single game and some were not close at all.
When that series was ending, we were offered a five game series with Miami, which paid over twice as much, was on better tv channels and better time slots.

So we signed the deal.

Some Central fans felt like we were dodging them, which, since we beat them four times in a row, at the time, it really wasnt dodging them. We had NO history outside of this series and we killed them. For us, at the time, it was just another series, against just another team.
We were a SUPER young program at the time. Been around less than 10 years, so no we didnt turn up our nose, we just didnt have any history with anyone and when Miami offers and its a better deal all around, you take it.

After that, it just got ugly. USF got accused of everything under the sun and it was like Central was trying to antagonize us into a rivalry. It wasnt fun, turned ugly and toxic.

If I can give any advice... dont make a rivalry. Dont push things. Allow them to happen. Our best rivalries were with WVU and Cinci. Not ugly at all, but they had fire to them on game day. It was fantastic. To this day I root for both teams... and Uconn to.

If Charlotte builds, then cool but the whole forced rivalry thing has sucked and I for one am more than happy to let it go. USF is playing UF and Miami in the future and were working on a series with FSU but we shall see. All of those games have been fun for us. Not true rivalries, but in time, who knows.... but at least they havent gotten toxic.

To the point, we didnt turn up our nose. We just had no history or reason to see central as a rival and making them into that through this forced and contrived BS only made it suck.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2022 11:02 AM by mtmedlin.)
07-27-2022 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC

Jon Gilbert

Meh, I think it will end up being a positive. Play UNCC as the rivalry week game every year.

Think about it. With Thanksgiving break, students are the least likely to be in town for that game. For students in the UNC-system, even if they are out of town, they are more likely to still be somewhere else in NC than anywhere else. In other words, an ECU student that isn't in Eastern NC for Thanksgiving is more likely to be in/around Charlotte than any other conference city. Same goes for UNCC students and Eastern NC.

You can't force a rivalry. CUSA has been trying to do that since 2014 and look what happened.
07-27-2022 11:10 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

Jon Gilbert

When do they give out the airport & light rail trophies?

But no worries - you will be able to ride the light rail back to your overpriced 600sqft condo and grab a $7 taco after you lose by 45. 04-cheers

Go Pirates!
07-27-2022 11:26 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(07-27-2022 11:10 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  

Jon Gilbert

You can't force a rivalry. CUSA has been trying to do that since 2014 and look what happened.

Uconn-UCF Civil Conflict says hold my beer.
07-27-2022 11:28 AM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

07-27-2022 12:11 PM
owlumni Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FloridaAtlantic
(07-27-2022 10:45 AM)ODU-Z8 Wrote:  You could have App St, ODU, and Coastal as your rivals every year. 2 with football success, 2 with baseball success. 0 with third-person posters

I truly don't understand ODU fans' narrative they've been successful in baseball. You've been to 2 regionals in the last 20 years.
07-27-2022 12:21 PM
Advertisement

FastTheo Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
(07-27-2022 12:11 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  https://twitter.com/BigGameBoomer/status...3Fpage%3D1

Wyoming = N/A 03-lmfao
07-27-2022 12:36 PM
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion, Sun Belt
(07-27-2022 12:21 PM)owlumni Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 10:45 AM)ODU-Z8 Wrote:  You could have App St, ODU, and Coastal as your rivals every year. 2 with football success, 2 with baseball success. 0 with third-person posters

I truly don't understand ODU fans' narrative they've been successful in baseball. You've been to 2 regionals in the last 20 years.

I'd say the MLB results are a factor there. Justin Verlander and Daniel Hudson have both won a World Series in the last decade. Vinnie Pasquantino was a top 50 prospect and called up to the Royals this year. We have 6 players active in the MLB right now, tied for 13th in the country with Notre Dame

In the 2022 draft we had 3 players drafted of 4 eligible, and we had a committed recruit get drafted (unfortunately, said he was going pro)

In particular with ECU, we've played a fair amount of good baseball with them over the years: currently 10-12 against them since 2002, but we did get the 2-0 against them last year 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2022 12:49 PM by ODU-Z8.)
07-27-2022 12:38 PM
owlumni Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FloridaAtlantic
(07-27-2022 12:38 PM)ODU-Z8 Wrote:  I'd say the MLB results are a factor there. Justin Verlander and Daniel Hudson have both won a World Series in the last decade. Vinnie Pasquantino was a top 50 prospect and called up to the Royals this year. We have 6 players active in the MLB right now, tied for 13th in the country with Notre Dame

In the 2022 draft we had 3 players drafted of 4 eligible, and we had a committed recruit get drafted (unfortunately, said he was going pro)

In particular with ECU, we've played a fair amount of good baseball with them over the years: currently 10-12 against them since 2002, but we did get the 2-0 against them last year 05-stirthepot

A decent program who can attract and develop talent, but has had very little success themselves.
07-27-2022 12:57 PM
ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2022 11:26 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

Jon Gilbert

When do they give out the airport & light rail trophies?

But no worries - you will be able to ride the light rail back to your overpriced 600sqft condo and grab a $7 taco after you lose by 45. 04-cheers

Go Pirates!

I wouldn't brag about having one of the worst airports in the world. Worst staff in the US. Light rail is a thing now? For what? To go from Panther stadium to Myers Park?
07-27-2022 12:59 PM
40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe

Jon Gilbert

Can one ride your light rail train directly from the airport to the UNC University City football stadium?
07-27-2022 01:35 PM
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(07-27-2022 11:10 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  

Jon Gilbert

I'd argue that you can in-state. I'll ask the App fans since we actually played them for the first time in forever last year.

Were you excited about the game in Charlotte against ECU, and how would you feel about playing annually?
07-27-2022 02:16 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

I'd rather not pay 5 mil a year to play with teams we already have on our schedule.
07-27-2022 04:52 PM
TheBigEastSucks Offline
1st String

I Root For: NO QUARTER

Jon Gilbert

The newly added teams are depressing, was so happy when we got the AAC invite. We have got to get out of here yesterday, how did this even happen? ECU deserves better than this
07-27-2022 04:59 PM
FastTheo Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina

USM and Marshall (except baseball) would probably take precedence over ODU and CCU, but I get what you're saying. 04-cheers
07-27-2022 06:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.