Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

6th Bowl Game turned into Politics thread (Split)
Bookmark and Share
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
6th Bowl Game turned into Politics thread (Split)
Ok I’ll say it because it has to be said.

I’ve been to both Shreveport and New Orleans for work and both are complete dumps.

Not speaking metaphorically here when I say you can quite literally smell the stench of New Orleans as soon as you walk out of the airport.
07-27-2022 05:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
RE: What’s the 6th Bowl?
(07-27-2022 05:06 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  Ok I’ll say it because it has to be said.

I’ve been to both Shreveport and New Orleans for work and both are complete dumps.

Not speaking metaphorically here when I say you can quite literally smell the stench of New Orleans as soon as you walk out of the airport.

I've never been.

I work remote in WV but most of my coworkers are in Louisiana and they just complain about how bad New Orleans has gotten. Homelessness, crime, a DA who won't prosecute.

That could be said for a bunch of major cities though, I guess.
07-27-2022 06:45 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(07-27-2022 06:45 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 05:06 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  Ok I’ll say it because it has to be said.

I've never been.

I work remote in WV but most of my coworkers are in Louisiana and they just complain about how bad New Orleans has gotten. Homelessness, crime, a DA who won't prosecute.

‘A DA that won’t prosecute.’ Wow. Your political views are warping your ability to fully understand the issue of crime.

And as for the comment from the covi…I mean the coastal guy, we know NOLA is not for everyone. Please feel to never visit us again.
07-27-2022 07:15 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(07-27-2022 07:15 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  

I've never been.

‘A DA that won’t prosecute.’ Wow. Your political views are warping your ability to fully understand the issue of crime.

And as for the comment from the covi…I mean the coastal guy, we know NOLA is not for everyone. Please feel to never visit us again.

I was repeating their view of the problems.

But there's nothing political about recognizing lack of consequences attributes to continued bad behavior.
07-27-2022 07:22 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

(07-27-2022 07:22 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  

I've never been.

But there's nothing political about recognizing lack of consequences attributes to continued bad behavior.
Lol. Whose ‘views’ are you repeating? Are you repeating the ‘views’ of all sides? Seems to me that to sum up the complexities of crime is far deeper than blaming all on a DA that ‘doesn’t prosecute.’
07-27-2022 07:37 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(07-27-2022 07:37 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  

I've never been.

Lol. Whose ‘views’ are you repeating? Are you repeating the ‘views’ of all sides? Seems to me that to sum up the complexities of crime is far deeper than blaming all on a DA that ‘doesn’t prosecute.’

The views of my Louisiana coworkers I heard venting about New Orleans. I thought that was clear.
07-27-2022 07:44 AM
Advertisement

FrankyP Offline
All American

(07-27-2022 07:44 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 06:45 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  I've never been.

The views of my Louisiana coworkers I heard venting about New Orleans. I thought that was clear.

Can you give us the basic make-up of this group? In particular, would you say these folks are conservative or liberal?
07-27-2022 07:47 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(07-27-2022 07:47 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 07:15 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  ‘A DA that won’t prosecute.’ Wow. Your political views are warping your ability to fully understand the issue of crime.

Can you give us the basic make-up of this group? In particular, would you say these folks are conservative or liberal?

I have no idea. I've been here 6 months and hop on a video call once a month.

By thinking consequences to crime is political I think I can tell where you land though.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2022 07:51 AM by MUsince96.)
07-27-2022 07:50 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
I don't think it matters. More people more crime. Big cities and little hamlets deal with petty theft, assaults, burglary, drugs, etc.

Speaking of drugs; MJ is legal in VA. Maybe ODU can host the Cannabis Cup or Blunt Bowl or Shwag City Bowl.
07-27-2022 07:54 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

(07-27-2022 07:50 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 07:22 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  I was repeating their view of the problems.

By thinking consequences to bad behavior is political I think I can tell where you land though.
Nice dodge. Well, like I’ve said before, I have deep ties in both Louisiana and NOLA for my whole life, and know very well those who hold the belief that the ‘DA doesn’t prosecute’ as the only reason they’ll only give as the cause for crime. Of course, it is not.

The people I know who hold that belief in this state/town are to a one, male, white, middle-age and hold very conservative political beliefs.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2022 07:56 AM by FrankyP.)
07-27-2022 07:55 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(07-27-2022 07:55 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 07:37 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  Lol. Whose ‘views’ are you repeating? Are you repeating the ‘views’ of all sides? Seems to me that to sum up the complexities of crime is far deeper than blaming all on a DA that ‘doesn’t prosecute.’

By thinking consequences to bad behavior is political I think I can tell where you land though.
Nice dodge. Well, like I’ve said before, I have deep ties in both Louisiana and NOLA for my whole life, and know very well those who hold the belief that the ‘DA doesn’t prosecute’ as the only reason they’ll only give as the cause for crime. Of course, it is not.

The people I know who hold that belief in this state/town are to a one, male, white, middle-age and hold very conservative political beliefs.

If you want to delve into the land of the ad hominem.

1 middle aged white guy.
1 middle aged white woman.
2 middle aged black women.
1 younger black woman.

Does their race and gender now validate their argument?
07-27-2022 08:01 AM
Advertisement

FrankyP Offline
All American

(07-27-2022 08:01 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 07:44 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  The views of my Louisiana coworkers I heard venting about New Orleans. I thought that was clear.

1 middle aged white guy.
1 younger black woman.

You sir, are the one that turned this into a political discussion by your original comments. The issues of the homeless and crime are very complex, and are not so easily resolved as getting a DA who prosecutes.
07-27-2022 08:04 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(07-27-2022 08:04 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 07:47 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  Can you give us the basic make-up of this group? In particular, would you say these folks are conservative or liberal?

1 middle aged white guy.
1 younger black woman.

You sir, are the one that turned this into a tpolitical discussion by your original comments. The issues of the homeless and crime are very complex, and are not so easily resolved as getting a DA who prosecutes.

I repeated what people who worked in New Orleans thought.

You immediately jumped to politics, sex and gender.

Ever heard of "don't shoot the messenger"?
07-27-2022 08:08 AM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Coddle the criminals..blame the victims...no bail required / back on the street...soft DAs....yeah, that does not work - trust me as I live in Chicago. Is there a reason we can't prosecute as a deterance while addressing systemic issues?

Mods can we move this to OT? It's refreshing to see MU96 keep it rational!!
07-27-2022 08:12 AM
D4RKW4T3R ROCK Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EAGLES SMTTT

I've never been.

Let Franky explain the issues to us common folk.
07-27-2022 08:12 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

(07-27-2022 08:08 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 07:50 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  I have no idea. I've been here 6 months and hop on a video call once a month.

1 middle aged white guy.
1 younger black woman.

You sir, are the one that turned this into a tpolitical discussion by your original comments. The issues of the homeless and crime are very complex, and are not so easily resolved as getting a DA who prosecutes.

Well, anecdotal ‘evidence’ about crime, etc., does little to move the discussion along on a thread like this. Just as an example, the per capita violent crime rates in both Baton Rouge and Shreveport are far higher than NOLA. But NOLA makes the news far more often, being NOLA. So maybe repeating stuff you hear, and I strongly feel probably reflect your own beliefs, is being very one-sided.
07-27-2022 08:13 AM
Advertisement

UR1Dummotha Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisiana
(07-27-2022 07:37 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  Lol. Whose ‘views’ are you repeating? Are you repeating the ‘views’ of all sides? Seems to me that to sum up the complexities of crime is far deeper than blaming all on a DA that ‘doesn’t prosecute.’

Here's to white male middle-aged conservatives!!04-rock02-13-banana
07-27-2022 08:17 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal

I've never been.

UL-….oops.
07-27-2022 08:24 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(07-27-2022 08:13 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 08:08 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 07:55 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  Nice dodge. Well, like I’ve said before, I have deep ties in both Louisiana and NOLA for my whole life, and know very well those who hold the belief that the ‘DA doesn’t prosecute’ as the only reason they’ll only give as the cause for crime. Of course, it is not.

1 middle aged white guy.
1 younger black woman.

Well, anecdotal ‘evidence’ about crime, etc., does little to move the discussion along on a thread like this. Just as an example, the per capita violent crime rates in both Baton Rouge and Shreveport are far higher than NOLA. But NOLA makes the news far more often, being NOLA. So maybe repeating stuff you hear, and I strongly feel probably reflect your own beliefs, is being very one-sided.

Sorry my coworkers social profile didn't match your preconceived notions. That probably reflects your beliefs as well.
07-27-2022 08:25 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
RE: 6th Bowl Game turned into Politics thread (Split)
I went to NOLA alot growing up, my dad worked offshore and we went to NOLA several times growing up as he had to do stuff down there. When I was at USM, we'd make friends who'd never went and we'd always make a trip down at least once or twice a semester.

After college I lived down there for a few months working (this was post Katrina). When my wife and I were engaged we went down a couple of times.

A month before I got married, we brought friends in from Pittsburgh and spent Memorial Day weekend down there.

NOLA doesn't have a smell... Bourbon Street has a smell. No doubt about that, but considering what all happens down there with people who can't control themselves, I get it. Duval Street in Key West is the same type of place, but they keep it cleaner somehow.

As far as crime, it's like anything, know your surroundings. My one rule when I lived down there and when we visited, it's simple.. IF it's daylight and within walking distance, walk down. If it's dark and you can't keep to well lit streets, get a cab. Never put yourself in a spot.

I've never felt unsafe in NOLA.. Maybe it's because I'm a big guy and as my wife says, I have a scowl on my face all the time, maybe people figure it's not worth their time.
07-27-2022 10:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.