Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Athletics Launches Mobile Ticketing Initiative
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
Rice Athletics Launches Mobile Ticketing Initiative
I got the email regarding Rice going to mobile tickets only beginning with the upcoming football and volleyball seasons. So, of course, I checked the app on my phone. No tickets showing. I called the ticket office and was told the tickets weren't loaded yet. That would happen by mid-August at the latest. Not sure I understand why they would announce mobile ticketing only before the tickets were available, but, OK, it's Rice.

So I checked my payment history. No payment history! WTH? The ticket office confirmed my payment for the upcoming football season, but weren't sure why the payment history wasn't showing. And I went back to Jan. 1, 2021, more than a year and a half. No activity.

Why do I not get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this new "initiative"?
07-21-2022 01:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Rice Athletics Launches Mobile Ticketing Initiative
It came from different email address than the other Rice ticketing emails, and ended up in my Spam folder.

FYI it doesn't say mobile tickets only, it says mobile will be the default.
07-21-2022 01:52 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-21-2022 01:52 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  It came from different email address than the other Rice ticketing emails, and ended up in my Spam folder.

FYI it doesn't say mobile tickets only, it says mobile will be the default.

Did you read the details? Rice isn’t printing them, you can’t print them, and you can’t screen shot them. Your only other option? See the ticket office.

I have no problem with mobile tickets. I do have a problem with launching an initiative without working out the bugs first.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2022 02:23 PM by Tomball Owl.)
07-21-2022 02:16 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Mobile ticketing? We used to call those speed traps.
07-21-2022 03:16 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
I like the paper tickets, so I can add them to my collection of ticket stubs. I keep all of them as souvenirs. Someday I'll frame them.
07-21-2022 11:38 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(07-21-2022 11:38 PM)Ourland Wrote:  I like the paper tickets, so I can add them to my collection of ticket stubs. I keep all of them as souvenirs. Someday I'll frame them.

yup. just another cool thing kids today won't get to experience anymore. Thanks, Al...

10 Most Expensive Tickets of All Time

Quote:10. 2007 Led Zeppelin, London Price: $14,700
9. 2015 World Series at Citi Field Price: $17,600
8. Super Bowl 50 Price: $20,500
7. The Maharaja's Express Train in India Price: $23,700
6. Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Price: $40,900
5. Round Trip Flight on Etihad Airways, NYC – Abu Dhabi Price: $64,000
4. 2010 NBA Finals, Game 7 Price: $81,000
3. Virgin Galactic Flight to Space Price: $250,000
2. Lunch with Warren Buffett Price: $3,456,789
1. Round Trip Flight to the International Space Station Price: $35 Million

...any of you go to any of these shows or events?

Vintage Sports Tickets, Stubs

Quote:t’s all too ironic. As the hard copy ticket gets phased out in favor of electronic ticketing, interest in the physical versions tied to superstar debuts, milestone events, historic performances and other important dates has skyrocketed. Demand–and prices–have been climbing at an unprecedented pace.

The 100 most valuable Rock Concert Ticket Stubs of All Time

[Image: image.7226.zssyymmp.jpg]
Live Aid 1985 Wembley Stadium UK Concert Ticket Stub

I was in London that morning....and back in the US that evening.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2022 10:27 AM by GoodOwl.)
07-22-2022 10:25 AM
Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
I'm curious how this will work.
Will the temp staff that admits people to the stadia (and check bags) be given hand-held devices that will scan a QR code (in bright daylight)?
How much WiFi capacity will that require?
As it is, every sports venue that I have visited in the last couple years has inadequate bandwidth on both WiFi and cell service, as thousands of mobile device users connect in one tiny area. This is pretty much everywhere, not just at Rice.

Tangential: has anyone received any information about the "Flight Deck"s?

I signed up for more information, after finally finding the link to ask, and haven't heard back.
07-22-2022 12:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-22-2022 12:43 PM)Grungy Wrote:  I'm curious how this will work.
Will the temp staff that admits people to the stadia (and check bags) be given hand-held devices that will scan a QR code (in bright daylight)?
As it is, every sports venue that I have visited in the last couple years has inadequate bandwidth on both WiFi and cell service, as thousands of mobile device users connect in one tiny area. This is pretty much everywhere, not just at Rice.

I signed up for more information, after finally finding the link to ask, and haven't heard back.

I believe the gate staff has been scanning the bar code on tickets, paper or digital, for several years now, so this move to all digital shouldn't be much of a change to WiFi capacity, if any at all. Having more people actually attend games likely would. Maybe 6:30 pm kickoffs in the heat of Sept. & Oct. will help that. We'll see.
07-22-2022 01:04 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2022 01:04 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

I believe the gate staff has been scanning the bar code on tickets, paper or digital, for several years now, so this move to all digital shouldn't be much of a change to WiFi capacity, if any at all. Having more people actually attend games likely would. Maybe 6:30 pm kickoffs in the heat of Sept. & Oct. will help that. We'll see.

For sure the evening kickoffs will help. It means an additional 700 fans in attendance. No one in their right mind looks forward to watching day games in Texas. It's suicide. Night games at Rice Stadium rock like nothing else. Love it. There's no place I'd rather be.
07-22-2022 01:27 PM
Advertisement

Ourland Offline
Heisman

I can't attend every home game. It never happens no matter how hard I try. Even so, if the product were competitive, if I were mailed paper tickets, and if a media guide were included, I would order a season ticket every season.

One thing I like about buying my ticket at the gate is that I know I'll have a stub to keep, but the gate tickets aren't as nice as the season tickets. Oh well.
07-22-2022 01:36 PM
Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
07-23-2022 09:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
franklyconfused Offline
Special Teams

(07-23-2022 09:24 AM)Grungy Wrote:  Just the FAQs…

https://riceowls.com/sports/2022/6/25/ri...eting.aspx

We can't print at home because of counterfeiting? Who in their right mind is counterfeiting Rice football tickets? They can't give them away. This switch is purely about cutting costs with the added bonus of improved marketing (cough invasion of privacy cough).
07-23-2022 09:55 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I hate to imagine how few season tickets are being sold at this point. Interest in the program has to be at an all-time low. It's a damn shame.
07-23-2022 12:01 PM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-22-2022 01:36 PM)Ourland Wrote:  

I can't attend every home game. It never happens no matter how hard I try. Even so, if the product were competitive, if I were mailed paper tickets, and if a media guide were included, I would order a season ticket every season.

One thing I like about buying my ticket at the gate is that I know I'll have a stub to keep, but the gate tickets aren't as nice as the season tickets. Oh well.

Don't worry. I'm sure they will offer a commemorative ticket stub ... for a small fee.
07-23-2022 12:50 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-23-2022 12:50 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  Don't worry. I'm sure they will offer a commemorative ticket stub ... for a small fee.

If Rice ever does anything worth commemorating.
07-23-2022 01:56 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2022 01:56 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(07-23-2022 12:50 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  Don't worry. I'm sure they will offer a commemorative ticket stub ... for a small fee.

You don’t think getting fans to actually show up for the same old pound the rock boring football is worth commemerating?
07-23-2022 04:22 PM
Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
(07-22-2022 12:43 PM)Grungy Wrote:  Tangential: has anyone received any information about the "Flight Deck"s?

Heard back from David Pillen - there is one remaining - the rest have been bought for the coming season.
07-23-2022 04:26 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(07-23-2022 04:22 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(07-23-2022 01:56 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

You don’t think getting fans to actually show up for the same old pound the rock boring football is worth commemerating?

It's the most boring football that I have ever witnessed. It makes the Wishbone look like the Run-N-Shoot.
07-23-2022 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.