Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Notre Dame looking for 75 million from NBC
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Notre Dame looking for 75 million from NBC
https://www.al.com/sec/2022/07/notre-dam...-help.html

Interesting that NBC is looking for another conference for extra content Big 12 is mentioned.

Problem for Big12 is that BigTen goes first and whether NBC bids on part of the BTen contract.
07-18-2022 10:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

RE: Notre Dame looking for 75 million from NBC
If ND gets that deal, they aren’t going anywhere and puts a halt to BigTen expansion
07-18-2022 10:47 PM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
why link to someone talking about what someone else wrote and not just give the clicks to the person who wrote it.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...dependent/
07-18-2022 11:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(07-18-2022 11:16 PM)Meatwad Wrote:  why link to someone talking about what someone else wrote and not just give the clicks to the person who wrote it.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...dependent/

I linked the article I read. Glad you found the original
07-18-2022 11:40 PM
Realignment Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC Trojans
I think the move is Notre Dame gets the deal they are looking for and the Pac-12 is picked up by Comcast where P12N has their networks located at Comcast offices in the Bay Area. If Comcast makes a play and buys part of the P12N and uses Peacock as a streaming option. They can sustain. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pac-12 becomes the Big 12 and sits at 10 members for the next decade. It's an academic conference mostly.
07-19-2022 02:12 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
I miss the simpler times when schools, conferences, and networks weren’t playing Tetris every other year.
07-19-2022 06:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-19-2022 02:12 AM)Realignment Wrote:  I think the move is Notre Dame gets the deal they are looking for and the Pac-12 is picked up by Comcast where P12N has their networks located at Comcast offices in the Bay Area. If Comcast makes a play and buys part of the P12N and uses Peacock as a streaming option. They can sustain. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pac-12 becomes the Big 12 and sits at 10 members for the next decade. It's an academic conference mostly.

PAC staying at 10 is my thought too. With the academic snobbery of the PAC I can't imagine they would invite any CA St schools (SDSU & Fresno St) or MWC schools. They may attempt to add a couple of B12 schools but the B12 GOR is pretty imposing & the PAC can't offer enough to overcome it. And of course WA & UO are likely trying their best to jump to the B1G, another obstacle.
07-19-2022 07:18 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(07-19-2022 07:18 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(07-19-2022 02:12 AM)Realignment Wrote:  I think the move is Notre Dame gets the deal they are looking for and the Pac-12 is picked up by Comcast where P12N has their networks located at Comcast offices in the Bay Area. If Comcast makes a play and buys part of the P12N and uses Peacock as a streaming option. They can sustain. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pac-12 becomes the Big 12 and sits at 10 members for the next decade. It's an academic conference mostly.

PAC staying at 10 is my thought too. With the academic snobbery of the PAC I can't imagine they would invite any CA St schools (SDSU & Fresno St) or MWC schools. They may attempt to add a couple of B12 schools but the B12 GOR is pretty imposing & the PAC can't offer enough to overcome it. And of course WA & UO are likely trying their best to jump to the B1G, another obstacle.

This seems to be a go-to line for Big12 folks, but it assume a Big12 school would leave immediately. Any Big12 school added to the PAC could/would just wait it out with OU/UT until the GOR expires. USC/UCLA aren't leaving for two years anyway.... Spend a year at 10 and then welcome in the newbs from the Big12.
07-19-2022 08:49 AM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(07-19-2022 08:49 AM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  

This seems to be a go-to line for Big12 folks, but it assume a Big12 school would leave immediately. Any Big12 school added to the PAC could/would just wait it out with OU/UT until the GOR expires. USC/UCLA aren't leaving for two years anyway.... Spend a year at 10 and then welcome in the newbs from the Big12.

That will all depend on how much money PAC can get. The Big12 is going to have to get numbers to appease their schools that they will get more and I don’t mean show them a slide from Navigate.
The big problem for Big12 is that until BigTen signs their contract you have no idea who will bid on your contract. From all we are hearing the BigTen contract is trying to include as many networks as possible.
07-19-2022 09:29 AM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida

It amazes me how many do not understand the difference between an exit fee and a GOR. This frequently is misunderstood by many vocal individuals on the realignment boards too.

GOR means all your media rights stay with the conference for the duration of the GOR. You can leave to go to another conference, but the money generated from any media on your rights gets paid to your old conference, not your new conference, for the duration of the GOR. For the Big 12, the existing GOR ends in a few years, hence OUT staying a few more years.

Exit fee is entirely different. Every conference is different. For Big 12 is is two year distributions. This is about $80 million. The duration for that is 99 years, so essentially never expires in our lifetime.

So back to your misguided opinion........if a Big 12 school waited a few years, they do get out of the GOR, but they still have to pay the $80 million. You think the lateral move to the PAC is gonna pay them enough to make them whole after the $80 million payment? This is why nobody is leaving unless it was the B1G or SEC calling.

Now for teams leaving the PAC, it's entirely different. They do not have an exit fee. They are screwed basically with no protection.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2022 12:48 PM by otown.)
07-19-2022 12:45 PM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
(07-19-2022 12:45 PM)otown Wrote:  

It amazes me how many do not understand the difference between an exit fee and a GOR. This frequently is misunderstood by many vocal individuals on the realignment boards too.

GOR means all your media rights stay with the conference for the duration of the GOR. You can leave to go to another conference, but the money generated from any media on your rights gets paid to your old conference, not your new conference, for the duration of the GOR. For the Big 12, the existing GOR ends in a few years, hence OUT staying a few more years.

Exit fee is entirely different. Every conference is different. For Big 12 is is two year distributions. This is about $80 million. The duration for that is 99 years, so essentially never expires in our lifetime.

So back to your misguided opinion........if a Big 12 school waited a few years, they do get out of the GOR, but they still have to pay the $80 million. You think the lateral move to the PAC is gonna pay them enough to make them whole after the $80 million payment? This is why nobody is leaving unless it was the B1G or SEC calling.

Now for teams leaving the PAC, it's entirely different. They do not have an exit fee. They are screwed basically with no protection.
If 8 Big 12 teams were to vote for dissolution, then nobody would have to pay anything.

There are a few scenarios where that could happen. Depends on how much inventory ESPN wants. ACC adding teams could reopen the contract. Good chance the PAC needs additional inventory in large markets in order to maximize contract. Texas has some nice markets.

I wouldn’t say anything is 100% set. If Kansas, ISU, or WVU ever got the chance to move to the ACC, I think they would jump… UCF too.

I can see espn breaking up the Big 12 and securing the pieces in the two conferences they will own… ACC and PAC.
07-19-2022 02:30 PM
Advertisement

mtmedlin Offline

And yeah, Notre Dame will probable get it, which is good. That should help slow down the movements and let conferences get their next tv deals.
07-19-2022 02:32 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

And then they'd miss out on all the UT/OU $$ to be shared among the remaining current B-12 members...........
07-19-2022 03:37 PM
otown Offline
All American

(07-19-2022 02:30 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  

If 8 Big 12 teams were to vote for dissolution, then nobody would have to pay anything.

There are a few scenarios where that could happen. Depends on how much inventory ESPN wants. ACC adding teams could reopen the contract. Good chance the PAC needs additional inventory in large markets in order to maximize contract. Texas has some nice markets.

I wouldn’t say anything is 100% set. If Kansas, ISU, or WVU ever got the chance to move to the ACC, I think they would jump… UCF too.

I can see espn breaking up the Big 12 and securing the pieces in the two conferences they will own… ACC and PAC.

Sure, the Big 12 R8 can vote to dissolve, but you would have to assume a few things here. First, that every R8 team has a landing spot somewhere. Second, the twilight zone happens and the PAC is suddenly the more stable conference....not happening with Washington and Oregon skipping town shortly. Third, the R8 gives up a 9 figure payout from OUT. Fourth, R8 gives up all those NCAA credits. Fifth, R8 gets new contracts with new conferences that make up for all those shortfalls.

So sure, it can happen. I can also win the lottery tommorrow. FIU can get invited to the SEC as well. Ain't happening though.
07-19-2022 03:37 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats

03-lmfao
07-19-2022 03:41 PM
otown Offline
All American

(07-19-2022 03:41 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(07-19-2022 07:18 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  PAC staying at 10 is my thought too. With the academic snobbery of the PAC I can't imagine they would invite any CA St schools (SDSU & Fresno St) or MWC schools. They may attempt to add a couple of B12 schools but the B12 GOR is pretty imposing & the PAC can't offer enough to overcome it. And of course WA & UO are likely trying their best to jump to the B1G, another obstacle.

03-lmfao

The wishcasting is hilarious by some.
07-19-2022 03:50 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

Neither the PAC nor Big12 will dissolve.
07-19-2022 03:56 PM
mtmedlin Offline

(07-19-2022 03:50 PM)otown Wrote:  
(07-19-2022 03:41 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(07-19-2022 08:49 AM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  This seems to be a go-to line for Big12 folks, but it assume a Big12 school would leave immediately. Any Big12 school added to the PAC could/would just wait it out with OU/UT until the GOR expires. USC/UCLA aren't leaving for two years anyway.... Spend a year at 10 and then welcome in the newbs from the Big12.

03-lmfao

The wishcasting is hilarious by some.

Considering none of it helps USF, your assumption is pretty ******* stupid.
07-19-2022 04:58 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
(07-19-2022 06:44 AM)Volkmar Wrote:  I miss the simpler times when schools, conferences, and networks weren’t playing Tetris every other year.

clt says the acc started this madness by getting BC. their hubris will be the downfall
07-19-2022 05:25 PM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
(07-19-2022 06:44 AM)Volkmar Wrote:  I miss the simpler times when schools, conferences, and networks weren’t playing Tetris every other year.

Utsa hasn’t even had football for 10 years and if they have then this is the 10th year.
07-19-2022 07:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.