Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Phil Steele Projections
Bookmark and Share
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Phil Steele Projections
As has been the case since 2008 I've bought my gigantic Phil Steele preview for the coming season. He's usually the best (if not the most thorough) in the business even if imperfect, so it's worth listing his projections for the upcoming season here with a tidbit on each team.

West:
1. Toledo - Highest ranking of all MAC teams in Steele's preseason rankings (42nd of 131 FBS), is the only MAC team in his G5 contender list (6th of 12 listed). Had -4 net upsets and -5 net close losses in 2021 which typically points up for a team the following season.
2. NIU - A lot more experienced this year and capable of defending their title, but difficult to repeat in the MAC and a few signs are pointing down (5 net upsets, 4 net close wins last year).
3. CMU - Contender for the division/conference, but lost a lot of star players from last year. Benefits from drawing Akron/BG/UB from the East as well, but plays Toledo/NIU on the road.
4. WMU - Only returns four starters on offense but has one of the conference's top defenses. Will be "a legitimate contender in the MAC West again" in his words.
5. EMU - Return 14 starters and typically perform better under Creighton than what the stats show. Should make another bowl if their QB transfer maintains their production from last year.
6. Ball State - Lose QB Plitt and have the least experience returning in the MAC (Bottom 10 of FBS), plus they draw Miami and Kent on the road in their East games.

East:
1. Miami - Projected to have our top offense under Martin, though the D is projected to take a step back with a lot of players lost. Our schedule avoids Toledo/CMU from the West while getting Kent at home.
2. Kent State - Lose QB Crum, have just 10 starters returning, and benefitted last year from +13 net turnovers and +4 net close wins. Will be a contender in the East if they stay healthy through their OOC death march.
T-3. UB - First "true" season for the coaching staff and they bring in some good transfers. Host Miami and KSU, should contend for a bowl.
T-3. OU - Also should be better off this season with a full year of the post-Solich staff, and they return Rourke/most of the defense.
5. BG - Return 18 starters but have the toughest West crossover schedule (Toledo, CMU, WMU) but they should "flirt with bowl eligibility".
6. Akron - Will be "vastly more competitive" with an experienced team and some transfers, but they've got a lot of ground to make up.
07-18-2022 04:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: Phil Steele Projections
(07-18-2022 04:06 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  East:
1. Miami - Projected to have our top offense under Martin, though the D is projected to take a step back with a lot of players lost. Our schedule avoids Toledo/CMU from the West while getting Kent at home.
2. Kent State - Lose QB Crum, have just 10 starters returning, and benefitted last year from +13 net turnovers and +4 net close wins. Will be a contender in the East if they stay healthy through their OOC death march.
T-3. UB - First "true" season for the coaching staff and they bring in some good transfers. Host Miami and KSU, should contend for a bowl.
T-3. OU - Also should be better off this season with a full year of the post-Solich staff, and they return Rourke/most of the defense.
5. BG - Return 18 starters but have the toughest West crossover schedule (Toledo, CMU, WMU) but they should "flirt with bowl eligibility".
6. Akron - Will be "vastly more competitive" with an experienced team and some transfers, but they've got a lot of ground to make up.

I honestly think Bowling Green will be favored against Buffalo and Ohio, and I think they have a shot against Kent State and (maybe) Miami. But the schedule is tough. In addition to that crossover slate, we play UCLA, Mississippi State, and Marshall. We probably need a couple of crossover wins (depending on how our game against Marshall goes) to become bowl eligible.
07-18-2022 04:30 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Interesting but I would pick:

1) NIU - they’re the defending champs.
2) CMU - they have a very nice DL and best run game in the MAC.
3) EMU - a lot of production returns.
3) tie Toledo - they have average coach who underperforms
4) WMU - Lost a lot of starters
5) Ball State
07-18-2022 04:34 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Has Toledo ever not been picked 1st
07-18-2022 05:29 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(07-18-2022 05:29 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Has Toledo ever not been picked 1st

Nope.always picked to finish first In everything.and then they disappoint all the experts.05-stirthepot
07-18-2022 06:38 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I like Phil Steele. Gotta remember to stop by a bookstore and read is writeup on NIU and other MAC teams. Also interested in what he says about our non-conference opponents like Tulsa, Vandy, and Kentucky.
07-18-2022 08:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

(07-18-2022 08:11 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  I like Phil Steele. Gotta remember to stop by a bookstore and read is writeup on NIU and other MAC teams. Also interested in what he says about our non-conference opponents like Tulsa, Vandy, and Kentucky.

Tulsa is is projected at T-7th in the AAC (not a ton of experience back but projected to make a bowl again). Vandy is projected at 7th in the SEC East (might improve from 2-10 but it's Vandy after all). Kentucky is projected to be 4th in the SEC East (and go down from their 10-3 record last year) but still good, we play them in the opener so that may be a bit of a barometer where they are.
07-20-2022 03:38 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(07-20-2022 03:38 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
(07-18-2022 08:11 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  I like Phil Steele. Gotta remember to stop by a bookstore and read is writeup on NIU and other MAC teams. Also interested in what he says about our non-conference opponents like Tulsa, Vandy, and Kentucky.

Tulsa is is projected at T-7th in the AAC (not a ton of experience back but projected to make a bowl again). Vandy is projected at 7th in the SEC East (might improve from 2-10 but it's Vandy after all). Kentucky is projected to be 4th in the SEC East (and go down from their 10-3 record last year) but still good, we play them in the opener so that may be a bit of a barometer where they are.

Thanks L&H! Surprised he isn't as high on Kentucky as many others are, especially since they play in the SEC East and don't have to play Alabama, A&M, LSU, etc.
07-21-2022 05:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
astr083 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State & MAC
Lexington is not too far from Oxford.... Hope Miami(OH) can take a strong contingent of away fans to the game.
07-21-2022 08:50 AM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
(07-21-2022 08:50 AM)astr083 Wrote:  Lexington is not too far from Oxford.... Hope Miami(OH) can take a strong contingent of away fans to the game.

03-lmfao
07-21-2022 10:43 AM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(07-21-2022 10:43 AM)bobcat_backer Wrote:  
(07-21-2022 08:50 AM)astr083 Wrote:  Lexington is not too far from Oxford.... Hope Miami(OH) can take a strong contingent of away fans to the game.

03-lmfao

I wish it weren't so 03-lmfao
07-21-2022 01:26 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

You're probably more likely to see a good Miami visiting crowd at Northwestern, given our large local alumni base and it's not like Wildcat fans are gonna pack the place.
07-21-2022 05:07 PM
Buffalo Super Fan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Buffalo
Miami in the East and Northern Illinois in the West are my MAC championship picks. I disagree with Phil about UB they won’t be competing for a bowl this season there still in the 4-8 record wise again unfortunately. Flip flop Ohio over Buffalo position wise in the MAC East Ohio Bobcats should be able to get to a bowl game. My UB Bulls don’t have a proven QB Kyle Vantrease the two time bowl winner for UB transferred so the QB unproven starter will potentially be a problem all season for UB in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo
07-21-2022 06:50 PM
Steve1981 Online
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Looking forward to the season, especially playing Toledo, EMU and Buffalo as none are at the bottom of there divisions with these projections. Not only doing I like the MAC, but will be an interesting measuring stick on how we start progressing with the new coaching staff, recruits and transfers. The positive on the transfer rule is transfers no longer have to step down to 1AA to play without waiting.
07-21-2022 07:11 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(07-21-2022 07:11 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Looking forward to the season, especially playing Toledo, EMU and Buffalo as none are at the bottom of there divisions with these projections. Not only doing I like the MAC, but will be an interesting measuring stick on how we start progressing with the new coaching staff, recruits and transfers. The positive on the transfer rule is transfers no longer have to step down to 1AA to play without waiting.

Tulane, Texas A&M and Army with its triple option are going to be interesting tests for UMass as well. Good schedule. Hope your team impresses with what a new coach, more scholarships and revived interest can do.
07-21-2022 11:16 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(07-21-2022 11:16 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  
(07-21-2022 07:11 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Looking forward to the season, especially playing Toledo, EMU and Buffalo as none are at the bottom of there divisions with these projections. Not only doing I like the MAC, but will be an interesting measuring stick on how we start progressing with the new coaching staff, recruits and transfers. The positive on the transfer rule is transfers no longer have to step down to 1AA to play without waiting.

Tulane, Texas A&M and Army with its triple option are going to be interesting tests for UMass as well. Good schedule. Hope your team impresses with what a new coach, more scholarships and revived interest can do.

Has Umass officially moved all of its home games to Alumni Stadium on campus? If so, I take it no more games at Gillette Stadium?
07-23-2022 10:05 AM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

(07-21-2022 06:50 PM)Buffalo Super Fan Wrote:  Miami in the East and Northern Illinois in the West are my MAC championship picks. I disagree with Phil about UB they won’t be competing for a bowl this season there still in the 4-8 record wise again unfortunately. Flip flop Ohio over Buffalo position wise in the MAC East Ohio Bobcats should be able to get to a bowl game. My UB Bulls don’t have a proven QB Kyle Vantrease the two time bowl winner for UB transferred so the QB unproven starter will potentially be a problem all season for UB in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo

Imo the East might have only two bowl eligible teams (likely Miami/KSU) again this year. I don't see the West repeating all of them going to a bowl (I think BSU will drop off a bit), but they'll be a lot better than the East like usual. IIRC the West was only behind the MWC divisions and AAC last year on the Sagarin average, but East was only above one of the Sun Belt divisions (and behind the MVFC).
07-23-2022 10:39 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(07-23-2022 10:39 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Imo the East might have only two bowl eligible teams (likely Miami/KSU) again this year.

I think Bowling Green can get to 6-6. We have a very tough schedule. My sense is the path to bowl eligibility probably includes a win over Kent State. That trophy game was neck and neck last year until the Flashes finally pulled away at home. This year we have them at our place.
07-23-2022 11:09 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(07-23-2022 11:09 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(07-23-2022 10:39 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Imo the East might have only two bowl eligible teams (likely Miami/KSU) again this year.

I think Bowling Green can get to 6-6. We have a very tough schedule. My sense is the path to bowl eligibility probably includes a win over Kent State. That trophy game was neck and neck last year until the Flashes finally pulled away at home. This year we have them at our place.

As a neutral observer, KSU plays a brutal schedule and will be very fortunate if they start MAC season with only minor injuries.
07-23-2022 11:12 AM
BuckeyeFlyerFlash Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: OSU/UD/KSU
(07-23-2022 11:12 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(07-23-2022 11:09 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  

As a neutral observer, KSU plays a brutal schedule and will be very fortunate if they start MAC season with only minor injuries.
unfortunately we need those three games $$$ to help fund the football program due to the ineptitude of our new AD and his extremely slow/invisible start at KSU...
07-23-2022 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.