Bookmark and Share
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty, Army
CUSA vs SBC - Looking ahead: Ranking Week SBC One Match Ups
(07-05-2022 09:17 PM)FairwayEagle Wrote:  
(07-05-2022 12:57 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-05-2022 08:03 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  So:

There are two scheduled beatings against P5 schools.
Three targetable P5 games that could be wins.
Three home games against G5's that are important
And a litany of FCS games.

So, I forgot Liberty was in FBS when I said this...Whoops.

Make that 4 G5 games, 3 at home.

We pretty much owe SBC this one for taking us in. I hope it’s circled in our calendar. Huge opportunity.

We're hoping it is a huge opportunity to show the Sun Belt they chose the wrong team. Should be an interesting game no matter what.
07-08-2022 12:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FrankyP Offline
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
RE: Looking ahead: Ranking Week SBC One Match Ups
(07-08-2022 12:06 AM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  

We pretty much owe SBC this one for taking us in. I hope it’s circled in our calendar. Huge opportunity.

We're hoping it is a huge opportunity to show the Sun Belt they chose the wrong team. Should be an interesting game no matter what.
Yeah. Because we will have ‘buyers remorse’ over the loss of one game, even if that happens.

Look, everyone is well aware of what successes LU has achieved, and how much money they bring to the table. We also are well aware that USM FB is not where it used to be, but we know that it will be sooner rather than later.

What we also know is how your school funds it’s athletics, and all the other ethical issues with LU. And trust me, the SBC, like every other conf, does not want you in our conf. Period.

Glad that thinking about how close you *think* you came to being in the SBC makes it easier for you to sleep at night, but don’t expect any of the rest of us feel even the slightest regret of taking USM over the likes of LU.
07-08-2022 06:46 AM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss

Spoiler alert- there wasn’t a choice.
07-08-2022 07:10 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

Isn’t it just fascinating that on the one hand these coosa posters, on the coosa board, go on and on and on about how ‘over-hyped’ the SBC is, that they are so much better than us, etc., etc. Yet these same people come here and try their best to convince us all of how close they came to be part of this ‘inferior’ conference. Kinda mind blowing.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2022 06:53 PM by FrankyP.)
07-08-2022 07:16 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State

Dude y'all lost to ULM last year
07-08-2022 10:25 AM
TealNation Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
(07-08-2022 07:16 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  Isn’t it just fascinating that on the one hand these coosa posters, on the coosa board, go on and on and on about how ‘over-hyped’ the SBC is, that they are so much better than us, etc., etc. Yet these same people come here and try their best to convince of how close they came to be part of this ‘inferior’ conference. Kinda mind blowing.

Most Liberty fans have been the most vocal about wanting AAC or SBC. Their biggest historic rival and the other VA/WV schools are all in the SBC. it's obvious where they'll rather be. They are just forced to make the best of the current situation that is CUSA.
07-08-2022 10:40 AM
Advertisement

FrankyP Offline
All American

(07-08-2022 10:25 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

Not to mention that azz-whuppin they got from UL.
07-08-2022 10:49 AM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

(07-08-2022 07:16 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  Isn’t it just fascinating that on the one hand these coosa posters, on the coosa board, go on and on and on about how ‘over-hyped’ the SBC is, that they are so much better than us, etc., etc. Yet these same people come here and try their best to convince of how close they came to be part of this ‘inferior’ conference. Kinda mind blowing.

For the record, I never said the Sun Belt was "inferior." Obviously in football and baseball, it's better. It's got a better geographic fit. In basketball, it is light years even behind the new CUSA. All I was saying is that overall, the Sun Belt is much better, but the gap may not be as big as some believe. Years ago everyone thought CUSA was better. A lot depends on how Sam Houston St. and Jacksonville St. turn out and how quickly.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2022 12:21 PM by sstaedtler88.)
07-08-2022 10:52 AM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

(07-08-2022 10:49 AM)FrankyP Wrote:  
(07-08-2022 10:25 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(07-05-2022 12:57 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  So, I forgot Liberty was in FBS when I said this...Whoops.

Not to mention that azz-whuppin they got from UL.

We also beat Ga. Southern and undefeated media darling Coastal Carolina in bowl games. Had wins against ULM once and Troy twice, and Southern Miss. Yes, we lost to ULM, who got two touchdowns on broken plays/miscommunications by the defense as we had lost two safeties the week before. As for Louisiana, was just one of those games, 6 turnovers in one game. The score is not indicative of how close the game was for almost 3 quarters.
07-08-2022 10:57 AM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

(07-08-2022 10:40 AM)TealNation Wrote:  

Most Liberty fans have been the most vocal about wanting AAC or SBC. Their biggest historic rival and the other VA/WV schools are all in the SBC. it's obvious where they'll rather be. They are just forced to make the best of the current situation that is CUSA.

Accurate.
07-08-2022 10:58 AM
ragin4u Online
WOKE AF

I Root For: Louisiana & Magat Tears
(07-08-2022 10:52 AM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  

For the record, I never said the Sun Belt was "inferior." Obviously in football and baseball, it's better. It's got a better geographic fit. In basketball, it is leap years even behind the new CUSA. All I was saying is that overall, the Sun Belt is much better, but the gap may not be as big as some believe. Years ago everyone thought CUSA was better. A lot depends on how Sam Houston St. and Jacksonville St. turn out and how quickly.

I think your choice of 'leap years' is pretty funny.
USM could go 0 fer and I would still prefer them as conference mates than LU.
If you are pinning your hopes and dreams on Sam and Jacksonville St, it's going to be a long few years for ya.
07-08-2022 11:04 AM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(07-08-2022 10:52 AM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  For the record, I never said the Sun Belt was "inferior." Obviously in football and baseball, it's better. It's got a better geographic fit. In basketball, it is leap years even behind the new CUSA. All I was saying is that overall, the Sun Belt is much better, but the gap may not be as big as some believe. Years ago everyone thought CUSA was better.

I agree. The real separation happened when the P5 widened the gap vs the G5 by taking the AAC's top programs. A lot can change in a short amount of time when it comes to G5 conference perception. Just a couple years ago, the mainstream perception was that the SBC was the worst league in FBS. CUSA won't be as weak as many believe once Liberty joins, the FCS adds get up to speed, and LATECH comes back to life, but everyone's going to need to pull their weight. If NMSU, FIU, UTEP, JSU, and SHSU don't get better or live up to expectations, it could be a disaster. The same could be said about the SBC-W. Lots of work to do in both conferences.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2022 11:08 AM by TroyFootball05.)
07-08-2022 11:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU

For the record, I never said the Sun Belt was "inferior." Obviously in football and baseball, it's better. It's got a better geographic fit. In basketball, it is leap years even behind the new CUSA. All I was saying is that overall, the Sun Belt is much better, but the gap may not be as big as some believe. Years ago everyone thought CUSA was better. A lot depends on how Sam Houston St. and Jacksonville St. turn out and how quickly.

There's a reason all JMU, NDSU, and Big Sky fans call them Soft Houston. Every time they play an actual good(or even just pretty good) FCS team in a normal season they lose by about 30 if they're lucky and closer to 60 if they're not. So yeah, if a lot depends on how they turn out and how quickly I've got bad news for you guys.

Bonus: Here is how the team that beat them 42-19 in the semi fared against NDSU in the championship. 28-0 at halftime.
07-08-2022 11:49 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

(07-08-2022 11:04 AM)ragin4u Wrote:  

If you are pinning your hopes and dreams on Sam and Jacksonville St, it's going to be a long few years for ya.

Not to mention in that word salad of excuses he posted, he failed to say that their loss in 21 was preceded by their loss to us in 19. So they are now oh fer 2 agaisnt us.

Also, I’m still waiting for him to tell us who those ‘bottom teams’ in the SBC are.
07-08-2022 12:27 PM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

(07-08-2022 11:49 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

There's a reason all JMU, NDSU, and Big Sky fans call them Soft Houston. Every time they play an actual good(or even just pretty good) FCS team in a normal season they lose by about 30 if they're lucky and closer to 60 if they're not. So yeah, if a lot depends on how they turn out and how quickly I've got bad news for you guys.

Bonus: Here is how the team that beat them 42-19 in the semi fared against NDSU in the championship. 28-0 at halftime.

Sam Houston State is already recruiting like an FBS team. They rated 121st in recruiting last year, which beat Troy, Texas State, and ULM, not all that far behind Louisiana or Ga. Southern.
07-08-2022 12:27 PM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

(07-08-2022 12:27 PM)FrankyP Wrote:  

Not to mention in that word salad of excuses he posted, he failed to say that their loss in 21 was preceded by their loss to us in 19. So they are now oh fer 2 agaisnt us.

Also, I’m still waiting for him to tell us who those ‘bottom teams’ in the SBC are.

Loss in 2019 was garbage. Hugh Freeze, in his first year coaching, missed over 3 vital weeks of practice right before the season with a staph infection. He was not on the sideline for our game vs. Syracuse or Louisiana, and predictably, Liberty's offense struggled. When he got back to the sidelines, it was amazing how suddenly the offense fell into place.
07-08-2022 12:29 PM
Advertisement

sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

I wasn't told who they were. Just told Liberty was next up after So Miss and that top teams wanted Liberty, but bottom teams were worried about their resource advantage.
07-08-2022 12:33 PM
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion, Sun Belt
(07-08-2022 12:27 PM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  

Sam Houston State is already recruiting like an FBS team. They rated 121st in recruiting last year, which beat Troy, Texas State, and ULM, not all that far behind Louisiana or Ga. Southern.

That's nothing to brag about for a team that doesn't already have an FBS roster

Those rankings are otherwise useless because teams fill what they need and ratings are a gimmick, but in this case, I'd find that data point actively concerning for SHSU
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2022 12:38 PM by ODU-Z8.)
07-08-2022 12:35 PM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

(07-08-2022 12:35 PM)ODU-Z8 Wrote:  
(07-08-2022 12:27 PM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  

That's nothing to brag about for a team that doesn't already have an FBS roster

Those rankings are otherwise useless because teams fill what they need and rankings are a gimmick, but in this case, I'd find that data point actively concerning for SHSU

Teams aren't going to snap their fingers coming from FCS and suddenly be ranked high. I can't even find JMU in the rankings. It may take a couple years - just saying Sam Houston St. is off to a good start.
07-08-2022 12:39 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
(07-08-2022 12:33 PM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  

I wasn't told who they were. Just told Liberty was next up after So Miss and that top teams wanted Liberty, but bottom teams were worried about their resource advantage.

You keep talking like USM was the last one in when it was extremely obvious for anyone paying attention that they were the first. Then Marshall, then they hesitated a bit due to the possibility of an eastern focused CUSA until ESPN agreed to keep the per team payout if SBC went to 14 with ODU and JMU.

I believe you that you were told these things by some Liberty spinster, but your guy is saying one thing while literally everyone else involved is saying another.
07-08-2022 12:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.