Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

July '22 checklist: B1G and SEC additions — Sure Things, Maybes and Longshots
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
July '22 checklist: B1G and SEC additions — Sure Things, Maybes and Longshots
B1G

Sure Things: Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Kansas

Maybes: North Carolina, Virginia, Duke, Missouri, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State

Longshots: Miami, Georgia Tech, Pitt

S-E-C

Sure Things: Florida State, Clemson

Maybes: North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Miami, West Virginia

Longshots: Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Louisville
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2022 11:30 AM by PeteTheChop.)
07-03-2022 07:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
RE: July '22 checklist: B1G and SEC additions — Sure Things, Maybes and Longshots
(07-03-2022 07:14 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  Longshots: Texas Tech, Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma State, Louisville

Pete do you mean TCU here?
07-03-2022 10:45 AM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
RE: July '22 checklist: B1G and SEC additions — Sure Things, Maybes and Longshots
(07-03-2022 10:45 AM)Gamenole Wrote:  
(07-03-2022 07:14 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  Longshots: Texas Tech, Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma State, Louisville

Pete do you mean TCU here?

No, just a screw up. I'll fix it. Thanks for the heads up
07-03-2022 11:30 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
Not sure ND is a sure thing for the BIG. Would put them down for both.

Oregon would be my only sure thing for the BIG but the SEC might be a possibility

With the recent movements it may be easier to combine the list as a sure thing, maybe or longshot to get into either conference. Geography doesnt seem to matter much from here on out.
07-04-2022 10:14 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I’m going to say this again. There are going to be some ACC fans who are rah rah about breaking up the conference upset if this ever comes to fruition.

The only sure thing on your Big Ten list is Notre Dame. Big Ten Presidents would collectively crawl to South Bend to get The Irish to join. There’s no sure bet ND is giving up independence. They’ve left money on the table for decades. Being born in Indiana I’ve followed Notre Dame since ARA was in South Bend. It’s going to take more than money. Access… The threat of not being able to play for a national title might do it.

Or Notre Dame might say hold up. This isn’t what collegiate sports are supposed to be and walk away. Notre Dame may be the only university in the country that won’t sell its soul for a buck.

If The Big Ten takes 4, it’s Virginia, Duke, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech. If ND says no put North Carolina in. Don’t be surprised if you hear Syracuse and Pitt mentioned as well.

I’ll say this. North Carolina and Duke are just like Notre Dame. They have their choice of either.

As for the SEC, it depends on how many they take.

Let’s do the easy part first. Louisville, Miami, Boston College, Pitt are not getting in. I would put Syracuse and Wake Forest in that group because of location. Wake They do not fit the profile of SEC members.

If The SEC takes 2: It’s Virginia Tech and North Carolina or NC State. I don’t believe Duke would give The SEC the time of day if there’s a Big Ten invite available. It depends on what UNC does. If The Big Ten invites UNC, The SEC will invite NC State. If UNC goes Big Ten, NC State goes to The SEC. That’s the only way NC State moves.

If The SEC takes 4: It’s Virginia Tech/ UNC or NC State / Clemson / FSU

I just don’t see Clemson and FSU being the first picks for one reason: There’s already an SEC school in their state. They’re both football powers in the conference and country, The SEC, however, has those plenty of those and has other priorities.

Louisville isn’t getting in because of multiple reasons location, urban university, too small, While we have a wealthy alumni, there just aren’t enough of us. Miami isn’t getting in for the same reasons along with being a private university.

Pitt is a tough one to call. Like Syracuse, academically they’re a Big Ten school stuck in The ACC. Location wise they would give The SEC an outpost in Pennsylvania. While they have advantages, Pitt in The Big Ten is a great match. Pitt in The SEC, they’re not West Virginia.

IF The SEC takes 6: NC State is in and perhaps Miami or Pittsburgh

If The SEC were to take 8: Miami and Louisville have a shot.

After that it’s Grand Canyon University.
07-08-2022 07:07 AM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
The Athletic has an interesting article today measuring which P5 schools get the best TV ratings when NOT playing a team who is or will be in the SEC or B1G -

https://theathletic.com/3410274/2022/07/...v-viewers/

I think it's paywalled, so here's the Top 10 (measuring the number of those above-described games that drew over 1 million viewers, between 2015-21). Perhaps this will help some of you see why Clemson & FSU are usually slated for the SEC, despite being duplicative markets -

34 Clemson
31 FSU (note that FSU has not been good in these years)
28 Washington
26 Oregon
22 Miami
21 Washington State (the article talks about what a surprise this one is)
19 Oklahoma State & Utah
18 Louisville & Stanford
07-08-2022 04:24 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
B1G
Yes: Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Stanford, Virginia, Washington
Maybe: Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Miami, Oregon, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Utah, Virginia Tech

SEC
Yes: Clemson, Duke, Florida St, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Virginia
Maybe: Georgia Tech, Kansas, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina St, Virginia Tech
07-08-2022 10:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.