Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks
 

Post Reply 
Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
Author Message
Bookmark and Share
fsquid Offline
Legend
*

Posts: 77,661
Joined: Jan 2004
Reputation: 1514
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: St Johns, FL

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Post: #21
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 09:35 AM)griffin Wrote:  Our guy we lost to GT the lineman came into RSs office crying and not wanting to go (he ended up at auburn you guys may know), he loved Memphis yet was in desperate need for money.

We will lose Seth most likely after this season, he turned down large dollars from two texas schools to stay here.

Players need to be supported and the model has changed, it's not pretty from the outside yet these young men need our help

well that's lovely.
06-30-2022 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleonpar Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,421
Joined: May 2018
Reputation: 127
I Root For: UOFM
Location:
Post: #22
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 09:49 AM)fsquid Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 09:35 AM)griffin Wrote:  Our guy we lost to GT the lineman came into RSs office crying and not wanting to go (he ended up at auburn you guys may know), he loved Memphis yet was in desperate need for money.

We will lose Seth most likely after this season, he turned down large dollars from two texas schools to stay here.

Players need to be supported and the model has changed, it's not pretty from the outside yet these young men need our help

well that's lovely.

Nothing has really changed except for the fact that players can leave more frequently
06-30-2022 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisFootballFan Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 2021
Reputation: 33
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: Ohio
Post: #23
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
06-30-2022 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aardWolf Offline
Heisman
*

Posts: 5,104
Joined: Jan 2014
Reputation: 519
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Post: #24
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
The only problem that I have with this is that it says the 901Fund is giving 80% to the student athletes. What happens to the other 20%?
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2022 12:39 PM by aardWolf.)
06-30-2022 12:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stammers Offline
Legend
*

Posts: 35,899
Joined: Feb 2004
Reputation: 1583
I Root For: Memphis
Location: Montreal, Canada
Post: #25
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 12:37 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  The only problem that I have with this is that it says the 901Fund is giving 80% to the student athletes. What happens to the other 20%?

Charity.
06-30-2022 01:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisFootballFan Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 2021
Reputation: 33
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: Ohio
Post: #26
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 01:42 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 12:37 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  The only problem that I have with this is that it says the 901Fund is giving 80% to the student athletes. What happens to the other 20%?

Charity.

I believe the 20% are expenses such as advertising, marketing, website and other administrative costs (payment processing fees alone are 3-4%), and this percentage will likely go down as contributions increase. I personally think that it is worth it to donate $19.01 a month to this fund even though only $15.21 of that money will be going directly to the student athletes. This fund is by far the best way to help Memphis with NIL.
06-30-2022 01:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisFootballFan Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 2021
Reputation: 33
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: Ohio
Post: #27
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
From their FAQs:

"How much of the money raised by 901 Fund will go to University of Memphis student-athletes?

It is intended that 85% of all collected funds would be paid out to student-athletes. The remaining funds will be used to cover fundraising expenses, Opendorse platform fees, and various administrative expenses."

And also "901 Fund is led by Tigers On a Mission (TOM), with all board and management services provided pro bono."
06-30-2022 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisFootballFan Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 2021
Reputation: 33
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: Ohio
Post: #28
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 12:37 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  The only problem that I have with this is that it says the 901Fund is giving 80% to the student athletes. What happens to the other 20%?

I understand your concern and it was one of my main questions when I first heard about this. But the people running this fund are working for free, no one is getting rich off of this, it is a legitimate charity set up to help the University of Memphis student athletes. The marketing/fundraising and administrative costs are reasonable and in-line with what other charities do (for instance St Jude spends about 18% on fundraising and administration).
06-30-2022 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleonpar Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,421
Joined: May 2018
Reputation: 127
I Root For: UOFM
Location:
Post: #29
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 01:55 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 01:42 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 12:37 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  The only problem that I have with this is that it says the 901Fund is giving 80% to the student athletes. What happens to the other 20%?

Charity.

I believe the 20% are expenses such as advertising, marketing, website and other administrative costs (payment processing fees alone are 3-4%), and this percentage will likely go down as contributions increase. I personally think that it is worth it to donate $19.01 a month to this fund even though only $15.21 of that money will be going directly to the student athletes. This fund is by far the best way to help Memphis with NIL.

Salaries for the people running it
06-30-2022 02:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisFootballFan Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 2021
Reputation: 33
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: Ohio
Post: #30
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 02:44 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 01:55 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 01:42 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 12:37 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  The only problem that I have with this is that it says the 901Fund is giving 80% to the student athletes. What happens to the other 20%?

Charity.

I believe the 20% are expenses such as advertising, marketing, website and other administrative costs (payment processing fees alone are 3-4%), and this percentage will likely go down as contributions increase. I personally think that it is worth it to donate $19.01 a month to this fund even though only $15.21 of that money will be going directly to the student athletes. This fund is by far the best way to help Memphis with NIL.

Salaries for the people running it

The people running it are working for free. From their website.

"all board and management services provided pro bono."
06-30-2022 02:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Keeper Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 2,285
Joined: Aug 2017
Reputation: 157
I Root For: Memphis
Location: memphis
Post: #31
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
Nobody will get rich off this, but a lot of players will benefit. NIL is a means of providing financial help to athletes. I am contributing, you should contribute if you can afford $10 to $500 a month, some talk a lot about other peoples money but never give a dime (they know who they are and why they don't count).
06-30-2022 02:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleonpar Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,421
Joined: May 2018
Reputation: 127
I Root For: UOFM
Location:
Post: #32
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 02:47 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 02:44 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 01:55 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 01:42 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 12:37 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  The only problem that I have with this is that it says the 901Fund is giving 80% to the student athletes. What happens to the other 20%?

Charity.

I believe the 20% are expenses such as advertising, marketing, website and other administrative costs (payment processing fees alone are 3-4%), and this percentage will likely go down as contributions increase. I personally think that it is worth it to donate $19.01 a month to this fund even though only $15.21 of that money will be going directly to the student athletes. This fund is by far the best way to help Memphis with NIL.

Salaries for the people running it

The people running it are working for free. From their website.

"all board and management services provided pro bono."

You believe that? Ok lol
06-30-2022 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisFootballFan Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 2021
Reputation: 33
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: Ohio
Post: #33
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 02:57 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 02:47 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 02:44 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 01:55 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 01:42 PM)Stammers Wrote:  Charity.

I believe the 20% are expenses such as advertising, marketing, website and other administrative costs (payment processing fees alone are 3-4%), and this percentage will likely go down as contributions increase. I personally think that it is worth it to donate $19.01 a month to this fund even though only $15.21 of that money will be going directly to the student athletes. This fund is by far the best way to help Memphis with NIL.

Salaries for the people running it

The people running it are working for free. From their website.

"all board and management services provided pro bono."

You believe that? Ok lol

Yes I believe that. They are fans who are donating some of their spare time to help the University of Memphis student athletes. Just like there are fans who will donate money. Sometimes people donate their time or their money to help things they believe in.
06-30-2022 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Keeper Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 2,285
Joined: Aug 2017
Reputation: 157
I Root For: Memphis
Location: memphis
Post: #34
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 03:08 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 02:57 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 02:47 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 02:44 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 01:55 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  I believe the 20% are expenses such as advertising, marketing, website and other administrative costs (payment processing fees alone are 3-4%), and this percentage will likely go down as contributions increase. I personally think that it is worth it to donate $19.01 a month to this fund even though only $15.21 of that money will be going directly to the student athletes. This fund is by far the best way to help Memphis with NIL.

Salaries for the people running it

The people running it are working for free. From their website.

"all board and management services provided pro bono."

You believe that? Ok lol

Yes I believe that. They are fans who are donating some of their spare time to help the University of Memphis student athletes. Just like there are fans who will donate money. Sometimes people donate their time or their money to help things they believe in.

People who don't want to contribute will always find a reason.
06-30-2022 03:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aardWolf Offline
Heisman
*

Posts: 5,104
Joined: Jan 2014
Reputation: 519
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Post: #35
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 02:21 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 12:37 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  The only problem that I have with this is that it says the 901Fund is giving 80% to the student athletes. What happens to the other 20%?

I understand your concern and it was one of my main questions when I first heard about this. But the people running this fund are working for free, no one is getting rich off of this, it is a legitimate charity set up to help the University of Memphis student athletes. The marketing/fundraising and administrative costs are reasonable and in-line with what other charities do (for instance St Jude spends about 18% on fundraising and administration).

Alright, I'm in. Nice "thank you" message after I finished.
06-30-2022 04:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisFootballFan Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 2021
Reputation: 33
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: Ohio
Post: #36
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-28-2022 06:37 PM)bigbob Wrote:  I’ve been a Tiger fan since following the Tigers in the 1957 NIT; the refs robbed us and I still don’t like Bradley’s Bobby Joe Mason

I have 2 degrees and have been a season ticket holder since 1971

We have come a LONG WAY

The “lift” from getting from there to a Top 35 football and basketball programs was a lot tougher and longer than the “lift” before is to get P5 recognition; we are also an R1 research institution and a USNWR Tier One academic university

So what’s needed now? Let’s start with showing the determination we showed getting here

And here is the key part: We have 165,000 alumni (Ole Miss has 91,000) that have never mobilized to make the financial commitments needed to match our corporate support

Right now, the key is the 901 NIL Fund; successful fundraising will be reported in about 60 days BUT we need to match some P5 $$ levels; we can’t depend on “everyone” or “someone” to step up if each of us isn’t doing our part; we need $10 Million annually for our 100+ athletes to eventually reach an average of $100,000 per athlete

If that sounds like a lot, it ain’t and, for example, The Ohio State U coach says he needs $13 Million annually to maintain his current roster quality

If each of us makes a commitment, we will ALL make a difference

AND….as the 901 Fund raises money to purchase the NIL rights from players, those rights will be contributed to 901 charities (Youth Villages, Methodist LeBonheur, St Jude we hope, and many others) which we believe all 901 donations will be tax deductible

You’ll hear more soon; so let’s be proactive; Google 901 Fund, and start writing checks or making digital donations online

What EACH/ALL of us may contribute will be the key to making The U of M what it should AND CAN BE

GO TIGERS

(06-30-2022 04:04 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 02:21 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 12:37 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  The only problem that I have with this is that it says the 901Fund is giving 80% to the student athletes. What happens to the other 20%?

I understand your concern and it was one of my main questions when I first heard about this. But the people running this fund are working for free, no one is getting rich off of this, it is a legitimate charity set up to help the University of Memphis student athletes. The marketing/fundraising and administrative costs are reasonable and in-line with what other charities do (for instance St Jude spends about 18% on fundraising and administration).

Alright, I'm in. Nice "thank you" message after I finished.

Aw man I signed up yesterday and I didn’t get a thank you message. What did it say?
06-30-2022 04:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aardWolf Offline
Heisman
*

Posts: 5,104
Joined: Jan 2014
Reputation: 519
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Post: #37
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 04:11 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-28-2022 06:37 PM)bigbob Wrote:  I’ve been a Tiger fan since following the Tigers in the 1957 NIT; the refs robbed us and I still don’t like Bradley’s Bobby Joe Mason

I have 2 degrees and have been a season ticket holder since 1971

We have come a LONG WAY

The “lift” from getting from there to a Top 35 football and basketball programs was a lot tougher and longer than the “lift” before is to get P5 recognition; we are also an R1 research institution and a USNWR Tier One academic university

So what’s needed now? Let’s start with showing the determination we showed getting here

And here is the key part: We have 165,000 alumni (Ole Miss has 91,000) that have never mobilized to make the financial commitments needed to match our corporate support

Right now, the key is the 901 NIL Fund; successful fundraising will be reported in about 60 days BUT we need to match some P5 $$ levels; we can’t depend on “everyone” or “someone” to step up if each of us isn’t doing our part; we need $10 Million annually for our 100+ athletes to eventually reach an average of $100,000 per athlete

If that sounds like a lot, it ain’t and, for example, The Ohio State U coach says he needs $13 Million annually to maintain his current roster quality

If each of us makes a commitment, we will ALL make a difference

AND….as the 901 Fund raises money to purchase the NIL rights from players, those rights will be contributed to 901 charities (Youth Villages, Methodist LeBonheur, St Jude we hope, and many others) which we believe all 901 donations will be tax deductible

You’ll hear more soon; so let’s be proactive; Google 901 Fund, and start writing checks or making digital donations online

What EACH/ALL of us may contribute will be the key to making The U of M what it should AND CAN BE

GO TIGERS

(06-30-2022 04:04 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 02:21 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 12:37 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  The only problem that I have with this is that it says the 901Fund is giving 80% to the student athletes. What happens to the other 20%?

I understand your concern and it was one of my main questions when I first heard about this. But the people running this fund are working for free, no one is getting rich off of this, it is a legitimate charity set up to help the University of Memphis student athletes. The marketing/fundraising and administrative costs are reasonable and in-line with what other charities do (for instance St Jude spends about 18% on fundraising and administration).

Alright, I'm in. Nice "thank you" message after I finished.

Aw man I signed up yesterday and I didn’t get a thank you message. What did it say?

Vimeo embedding isn't working, so:
https://vimeo.com/718019259
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2022 04:32 PM by aardWolf.)
06-30-2022 04:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer
*

Posts: 15,493
Joined: Feb 2004
Reputation: 699
I Root For: -
Location: -

Donators
Post: #38
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 10:32 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 09:49 AM)fsquid Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 09:35 AM)griffin Wrote:  Our guy we lost to GT the lineman came into RSs office crying and not wanting to go (he ended up at auburn you guys may know), he loved Memphis yet was in desperate need for money.

We will lose Seth most likely after this season, he turned down large dollars from two texas schools to stay here.

Players need to be supported and the model has changed, it's not pretty from the outside yet these young men need our help

well that's lovely.

To

Nothing has really changed except for the fact that players can leave more frequently

To the highest bidder..... Jeez.
06-30-2022 10:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer
*

Posts: 15,493
Joined: Feb 2004
Reputation: 699
I Root For: -
Location: -

Donators
Post: #39
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 09:35 AM)griffin Wrote:  Our guy we lost to GT the lineman came into RSs office crying and not wanting to go (he ended up at auburn you guys may know), he loved Memphis yet was in desperate need for money.

We will lose Seth most likely after this season, he turned down large dollars from two texas schools to stay here.

Players need to be supported and the model has changed, it's not pretty from the outside yet these young men need our help

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Between getting left out of the B12 and NIL now allowing power schools to swoop in and basically buy G5 players... It sucks but this is how it is and schools like Memphis have no chance any longer. It was hard before now its impossible.
06-30-2022 11:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisFootballFan Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 330
Joined: Aug 2021
Reputation: 33
I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Location: Ohio
Post: #40
RE: Tiger Nation: Time to step up with $$ and support
(06-30-2022 04:30 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 04:11 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-28-2022 06:37 PM)bigbob Wrote:  I’ve been a Tiger fan since following the Tigers in the 1957 NIT; the refs robbed us and I still don’t like Bradley’s Bobby Joe Mason

I have 2 degrees and have been a season ticket holder since 1971

We have come a LONG WAY

The “lift” from getting from there to a Top 35 football and basketball programs was a lot tougher and longer than the “lift” before is to get P5 recognition; we are also an R1 research institution and a USNWR Tier One academic university

So what’s needed now? Let’s start with showing the determination we showed getting here

And here is the key part: We have 165,000 alumni (Ole Miss has 91,000) that have never mobilized to make the financial commitments needed to match our corporate support

Right now, the key is the 901 NIL Fund; successful fundraising will be reported in about 60 days BUT we need to match some P5 $$ levels; we can’t depend on “everyone” or “someone” to step up if each of us isn’t doing our part; we need $10 Million annually for our 100+ athletes to eventually reach an average of $100,000 per athlete

If that sounds like a lot, it ain’t and, for example, The Ohio State U coach says he needs $13 Million annually to maintain his current roster quality

If each of us makes a commitment, we will ALL make a difference

AND….as the 901 Fund raises money to purchase the NIL rights from players, those rights will be contributed to 901 charities (Youth Villages, Methodist LeBonheur, St Jude we hope, and many others) which we believe all 901 donations will be tax deductible

You’ll hear more soon; so let’s be proactive; Google 901 Fund, and start writing checks or making digital donations online

What EACH/ALL of us may contribute will be the key to making The U of M what it should AND CAN BE

GO TIGERS

(06-30-2022 04:04 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 02:21 PM)MemphisFootballFan Wrote:  
(06-30-2022 12:37 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  The only problem that I have with this is that it says the 901Fund is giving 80% to the student athletes. What happens to the other 20%?

I understand your concern and it was one of my main questions when I first heard about this. But the people running this fund are working for free, no one is getting rich off of this, it is a legitimate charity set up to help the University of Memphis student athletes. The marketing/fundraising and administrative costs are reasonable and in-line with what other charities do (for instance St Jude spends about 18% on fundraising and administration).

Alright, I'm in. Nice "thank you" message after I finished.

Aw man I signed up yesterday and I didn’t get a thank you message. What did it say?

Vimeo embedding isn't working, so:
https://vimeo.com/718019259

I love how AG stays involved with the University of Memphis. That dude is about to be a star in the NFL but he still comes to Memphis events and participates in things like this. I remember one time Norvell described him as having a "servant's heart." Just a really good guy.
07-01-2022 07:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 




User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)


Copyright © 2002-2022 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2022 MyBB Group.
MemphisTigers.org is the number one message board for Memphis Tigers sports.