Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

‘Lightyear’ flop is a sign audiences are weary of Hollywood wokeness
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
“One reason “Top Gun: Maverick” is such a huge success — the biggest movie of Tom Cruise’s career and probably the biggest movie of this year — is that it simply ignores all quarrelsome real-world issues. “TG:M” seeks merely to entertain, not to persuade you that the people who made it are virtuous.

Meanwhile, Disney’s much-touted “Lightyear” came out and did surprisingly poorly after a lot of week-of-release talk about the lesbian relationship in the film. The same-sex marriage is a small part of the story and no one should be bothered by the existence of gay people, even in a kids’ movie, but the shocking underperformance must have Disney wondering whether people stayed away because they thought (even if mistakenly) that “Lightyear” was a message movie.“

https://nypost.com/2022/06/25/lightyear-...%20buttons
06-26-2022 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
RE: ‘Lightyear’ flop is a sign audiences are weary of Hollywood wokeness
They need to unfreeze Walt and get that crew back in order.
06-26-2022 03:58 PM
bobdizole Offline
All American

I Root For: MT
(06-26-2022 03:49 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  “One reason “Top Gun: Maverick” is such a huge success — the biggest movie of Tom Cruise’s career and probably the biggest movie of this year — is that it simply ignores all quarrelsome real-world issues. “TG:M” seeks merely to entertain, not to persuade you that the people who made it are virtuous.

Meanwhile, Disney’s much-touted “Lightyear” came out and did surprisingly poorly after a lot of week-of-release talk about the lesbian relationship in the film. The same-sex marriage is a small part of the story and no one should be bothered by the existence of gay people, even in a kids’ movie, but the shocking underperformance must have Disney wondering whether people stayed away because they thought (even if mistakenly) that “Lightyear” was a message movie.“

The lesbian part was miniscule. It just wasn't a good movie
06-26-2022 03:59 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
It just looks terrible in general.
06-26-2022 04:05 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I think, in general, there is a lot of "Disney Fatigue". The Morbius movie flopped (twice) and ratings on Disney+ for Ms. Marvel and Obi-Wan Kenobi were terrible, a few other movies were a bust at the box office (Encanto).

TBH, I applaud it. People should be going outside and enjoying the outdoors. Live a little.
06-26-2022 04:05 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(06-26-2022 03:49 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  “One reason “Top Gun: Maverick” is such a huge success — the biggest movie of Tom Cruise’s career and probably the biggest movie of this year — is that it simply ignores all quarrelsome real-world issues. “TG:M” seeks merely to entertain, not to persuade you that the people who made it are virtuous.

I think people are more disappointed in the fact Disney decided not to continue using Tim Allen to voice the well known main character of Buzz Lightyear---I assume it was because he is known as a conservative---a real "no no" in the ultra woke world of movies. You'd think Disney would have learned their lesson with the Gina Carano debacle a year or so ago---but apparently not so much.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2022 05:32 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-26-2022 05:30 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
"Woke" need to go back in the box where it came from and stay there.
06-26-2022 05:37 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Took my kids to Lightyear yesterday, no idea what the woke thing is. If you mean the two women kissing on their 40th anniversary for maybe 2 seconds of the movie. Then I guess you are in dire need of a blow job.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
06-26-2022 05:54 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(06-26-2022 05:54 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Took my kids to Lightyear yesterday, no idea what the woke thing is. If you mean the two women kissing on their 40th anniversary for maybe 2 seconds of the movie. Then I guess you are in dire need of a blow job.

Its suppose to be the movie Andy saw in the mid 90's that made him ask for a Buzz Lightyear doll. Is it the kind of movie that would've been shown in the 90's?
06-26-2022 06:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State

Yet I saw a commercial yesterday where critics say its one of the best movies Pixar and Disney have put out.
06-26-2022 06:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-26-2022 05:54 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Took my kids to Lightyear yesterday, no idea what the woke thing is. If you mean the two women kissing on their 40th anniversary for maybe 2 seconds of the movie. Then I guess you are in dire need of a blow job.

I think it has more to do that Buzz Lightyear was played by someone else. Sorta like when I Dream of Jeanie got a new Darrin. Not the same. Like going to see Fan Halen instead of the real thing
06-26-2022 06:12 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(06-26-2022 06:10 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

Yet I saw a commercial yesterday where critics say its one of the best movies Pixar and Disney have put out.

I saw that yesterday. You can bet it was hard finding some positive reviews.
06-26-2022 06:20 PM
HappyAppy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App

Every movie does that on commercials. It’s the least critically acclaimed Pixar movie in awhile.

Remember Solo? It failed for the same reason this one did. It’s a terrible idea. Nobody asked for it. Nobody wanted them to take a character from a a beloved ensemble movie, recast the iconic actor and give them a stand alone movie.

It has nothing to do with with wokeness. The kind of pathetic person who would avoid a movie because of a 2 second married lesbian couple kiss? They stopped going to Disney movies years ago. This was just a bad idea/cash grab movie.

Also two of the biggest movies this year (Jurassic Park and Dr Strange) had prominent lesbian characters. They did ok.
06-26-2022 06:26 PM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Any Buzz Lightyear movie without Tim Allen will not be viewed in my home....period.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
06-26-2022 07:08 PM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(06-26-2022 06:26 PM)HappyAppy Wrote:  

Every movie does that on commercials. It’s the least critically acclaimed Pixar movie in awhile.

Remember Solo? It failed for the same reason this one did. It’s a terrible idea. Nobody asked for it. Nobody wanted them to take a character from a a beloved ensemble movie, recast the iconic actor and give them a stand alone movie.

It has nothing to do with with wokeness. The kind of pathetic person who would avoid a movie because of a 2 second married lesbian couple kiss? They stopped going to Disney movies years ago. This was just a bad idea/cash grab movie.

Also two of the biggest movies this year (Jurassic Park and Dr Strange) had prominent lesbian characters. They did ok.
Solo is actually a really good movie. It flopped at the box office because of when they released it. I'm a die hard star wars fan, my game room is lined with OG Kenner Star Wars... most people who are fans loved it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
06-26-2022 07:11 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(06-26-2022 06:12 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  

I think it has more to do that Buzz Lightyear was played by someone else. Sorta like when I Dream of Jeanie got a new Darrin. Not the same. Like going to see Fan Halen instead of the real thing

Bewitched....but i get your point.

03-shhhh
06-26-2022 07:18 PM
Advertisement

bobdizole Offline
All American

I Root For: MT
(06-26-2022 06:12 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  

It makes sense in the context of the movie it wouldn't be the same.voice.

And Disney doesn't have it out for.Tim Allen, he'll be in a new Santa Clause movie for Disney+
06-26-2022 07:39 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I thought I heard one of the kids in Lightyear is supposed to be a kid to the lesbians? Something like that. They tend to do these kinds of things subtlely so it goes under most people's head & they gradually become more accepting of it.

IDK, as I was saying, it just looks terrible in general. Buzz Lightyear is supposed to be an action sci-fi type hero, but all the trailers & commericals, it looks like just some generic astronauts w/ as much action as the pro-choicers at these protests get. It looks boring. Just bad marketing.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2022 07:45 PM by Bronco'14.)
06-26-2022 07:44 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

(06-26-2022 04:05 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I think, in general, there is a lot of "Disney Fatigue". The Morbius movie flopped (twice) and ratings on Disney+ for Ms. Marvel and Obi-Wan Kenobi were terrible, a few other movies were a bust at the box office (Encanto).

TBH, I applaud it. People should be going outside and enjoying the outdoors. Live a little.
The past few years Disney has been doing something called 'bait & switch' where all the marketing & advertising hypes up the main male character people love & adore, but the show/movie is actually about a female unknown character who takes a prominent role & makes the male character everybody loves look like a buffoon or incompetent.
Off the top of my head shows/movies that did that:
Kenobi
The Last Jedi
Loki
Hawkeye
Moon Knight
Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

A lot of people are starting to notice. Dr Strange isn't about Dr Strange; it's about America Chavez & Scarlet Witch. Kenobi isn't about Obi-Wan; it's about Riva & Leia. etc. etc.

Lightyear would actually be breaking a trend if the focus is indeed on Buzz Lightyear.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2022 07:49 PM by Bronco'14.)
06-26-2022 07:49 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I really liked Lightyear. But my daughter did ask me how the lesbian got pregnant.
06-26-2022 08:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.