Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The future of Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky and the OVC
andybible1995 Online
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
The future of Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky and the OVC
Is there a possibility that Austin Peay returns to the OVC with yesterday's announcement of Incarnate Word staying in the Southland? Will Eastern Kentucky try to find a way to get into the FBS, even without an invite from the CUSA? What will the OVC do next now that the MEAC and Southland have made their moves?
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2022 11:11 AM by andybible1995.)
06-25-2022 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
RE: The future of Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky and the OVC
(06-25-2022 11:09 AM)andybible1995 Wrote:  The future of Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky and the OVC

To quote the great Michael Ray Richardson:

"The ship be sinking"
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2022 12:37 PM by PeteTheChop.)
06-25-2022 12:35 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
At this point, I think it makes the most sense for the 5 ASUN football schools to merge, on a full time or football only basis, with the OVC.

I feel the same way about the WAC—full membership in the Southland for the Texas school and football only membership in the Big Sky for the Utah twins.
06-25-2022 01:54 PM
andybible1995 Online
All American

(06-25-2022 01:54 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  At this point, I think it makes the most sense for the 5 ASUN football schools to merge, on a full time or football only basis, with the OVC.

I feel the same way about the WAC—full membership in the Southland for the Texas school and football only membership in the Big Sky for the Utah twins.

I agree with you on the WAC schools, although I'm not sure if the Southland will be able to convince Stephen F. Austin and Abilene Christian to rejoin full time. The most they will get is affiliate membership in football. The Utah schools may be more likely to get full membership in the Big Sky because that will bring the conference up to 12 full members.

The OVC will have a harder time bringing in the ASUN schools, especially Eastern Kentucky with the ongoing lawsuit between them and the OVC over exit fees. On top of that, the OVC has an impending partnership with the Big South starting next year, and no details have been released about it yet. It's possible that the OVC only gets Austin Peay and Central Arkansas to join, while North Alabama and Kennesaw State would probably join the Big South as affiliate members.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2022 02:42 PM by andybible1995.)
06-25-2022 02:39 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
ASUN/OVC need to rearrange along (scholarship) football/non-football lines.

1 - SIUe, UALR, Southern Indiana, Bellarmine, Morehead State, Lipscomb, Queens, Jacksonville, North Florida, Stetson, FGCU
2 - SEMO, UCA, Lindenwood, EIU, EKU, APSU, UNA, TSU, TTU, UTM, KSU
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2022 02:54 PM by chargeradio.)
06-25-2022 02:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
andybible1995 Online
All American

(06-25-2022 02:42 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  ASUN/OVC need to rearrange along (scholarship) football/non-football lines.

1 - SIUe, UALR, Bellarmine, Morehead State, Lipscomb, Queens, Jacksonville, North Florida, UNF, FGCU
2 - SEMO, Lindenwood, EIU, EKU, APSU, UNA, TSU, TTU, UTM, KSU

Don't forget about USI and Central Arkansas. You also put UNF twice and you left out Stetson.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2022 02:50 PM by andybible1995.)
06-25-2022 02:46 PM
GoBuckeyes1047 Online
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
(06-25-2022 01:54 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  At this point, I think it makes the most sense for the 5 ASUN football schools to merge, on a full time or football only basis, with the OVC.

Including the new members joining the OVC, the OVC adding the 5 A-Sun schools would jump to 11 schools for football + Morehead St. and 15 schools for non-football. I think the A-Sun could look at the 3 TX WAC football schools or Tenn St./Tenn Tech (probably the best of the rest of the OVC football schools) to reload. If the A-Sun were hit again from C-USA raids, then I could see the remaining A-Sun football members potentialy join the OVC.
06-25-2022 02:54 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I see the answer for Austin Peay and Eastern Kentucky is to get above the fray and move up to FBS.

The low major level is volatile. None of the administrations are excited about these conferences.
06-25-2022 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
andybible1995 Online
All American

(06-25-2022 04:02 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  I see the answer for Austin Peay and Eastern Kentucky is to get above the fray and move up to FBS.

The low major level is volatile. None of the administrations are excited about these conferences.

Austin Peay wouldn't gain anything by moving up to the FBS. I live and work near Clarksville. The university is a commuter school, and the football stadium is well below the capacity requirement for an FBS school.
06-25-2022 07:31 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Would Austin Pray make a good fit for the SoCon, if the SoCon were to invite them?? I read some reviews on Unigo.com about Austin Peay and they basically confirmed what you said about APSU being a commuter school. However, I don't think that APSU wants to be part of the OVC anymore either. They want to be able to stand out from their competition. That's why I mentioned the SoCon.

However, I feel like that EKU is in a different situation than APSU and could move up to FBS.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2022 03:03 AM by DawgNBama.)
06-26-2022 02:54 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(06-25-2022 02:42 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  ASUN/OVC need to rearrange along (scholarship) football/non-football lines.

1 - SIUe, UALR, Southern Indiana, Bellarmine, Morehead State, Lipscomb, Queens, Jacksonville, North Florida, Stetson, FGCU
2 - SEMO, UCA, Lindenwood, EIU, EKU, APSU, UNA, TSU, TTU, UTM, KSU

I wonder if that was the "merger" that was mentioned in the EKU article between the OVC and ASun.

It would accomplish ASun Ted's goal from the failed expand and split project he proposed
06-26-2022 06:31 AM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA

No thank you.
06-26-2022 06:34 AM
andybible1995 Online
All American

(06-26-2022 02:54 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Would Austin Pray make a good fit for the SoCon, if the SoCon were to invite them?? I read some reviews on Unigo.com about Austin Peay and they basically confirmed what you said about APSU being a commuter school. However, I don't think that APSU wants to be part of the OVC anymore either. They want to be able to stand out from their competition. That's why I mentioned the SoCon.

However, I feel like that EKU is in a different situation than APSU and could move up to FBS.

To add to your point, Tennessee Tech and Tennessee State have been rumored to leave the OVC for the ASUN, but I doubt Tennessee State would want to be in the ASUN. From what I've heard and read on this forum, they're trying to get into the SWAC to join the other HBCU schools and move away from the culture of the OVC as it hasn't helped their fan base grow.

Tennessee Tech was mentioned as a potential expansion candidate for the SoCon and pairing them with Austin Peay would be a sensible move, although the SoCon isn't interested in expansion right now as they are content with 9 football members and 10 full members. Plus. they would risk diluting the product of oversaturating the Tennessee presence in the conference. But I'd say ETSU, and Chattanooga would like to play in-state opponents more often in football. It would almost be the reverse of what the OVC tried to do about 10 years ago when they tried to bring ETSU and Chattanooga into the fold. It would have made since for ETSU since they were a member of the OVC before joining the SoCon.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2022 08:18 AM by andybible1995.)
06-26-2022 05:22 PM
Advertisement

andybible1995 Online
All American

If the reports are being confirmed, and the OVC does add the University of Indianapolis, what does that do to their merger with the Big South? Campbell is leaving the Big South for the CAA, leaving four football members behind. I feel like this merger will be more along the lines of the Big South schools just playing in the OVC as affiliates. If U Indy is in the league, would the OVC consider adding Robert Morris as a full member? Also, have there been any updates regarding Tennessee State/Tech leaving the conference? I know they're both being looked at by the the ASUN, but Tennessee State is looking to go to the SWAC as well. Would the SWAC take only them, or would they have to find a 14th member?
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2022 08:58 AM by andybible1995.)
08-29-2022 08:49 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(08-29-2022 08:49 AM)andybible1995 Wrote:  If what reports are being confirmed, and the OVC does add the University of Indianapolis? What does that do to their merger with the Big South. Campbell is leaving the Big South for the CAA, leaving four football members behind. I feel like this merger will be more along the lines of the Big South schools just playing in the OVC as affiliates. If U Indy is in the league, would the OVC consider adding Robert Morris as a full member? Also, have their been any updates regarding Tennessee State/Tech leaving the conference? I know they're both being looked at by the the ASUN, but Tennessee State is looking to go to the SWAC as well. Would the SWAC take only them, or would they have to find a 14th member?

Robert Morris just got into the Horizon, even though they left football in limbo with no longer being able to associate with the NEC. I doubt they would go to the OVC so their football team would have a better home. I'm sure the OVC will take whomever is willing to affiliate with them, especially while they have 2 schools doing the 4 years D2 upgrade process.
08-29-2022 08:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.