Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Josh #45 to Hornets.
Bookmark and Share
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Josh #45 to Hornets.
Likely a two way contract pick. He would have benefited from another year with us or somebody.
06-23-2022 10:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
RE: Josh #45 to Hornets.
(06-23-2022 10:55 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  Likely a two way contract pick. He would have benefited from another year with us or somebody.

He could have easily played himself well into the first round with one more year. I really don’t understand his decision given his ceiling.
06-23-2022 11:22 PM
passat25 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Josh Minott is a dummy.. Kid could have been a lottery pick next year.
06-23-2022 11:53 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Will he play Summer Ball, I wonder.
06-23-2022 11:57 PM
roachman48 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I will miss him. But, this is a good accomplishment for Josh. I am aware that 2nd round picks does not mean an automatic NBA roster spot. But, congrats to the young man!
06-24-2022 06:49 AM
450bench Offline

He was traded to Minnesota
06-24-2022 06:51 AM
Advertisement

Manofplay Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(06-23-2022 11:53 PM)passat25 Wrote:  Josh Minott is a dummy.. Kid could have been a lottery pick next year.

Let me start off by saying that if he came back, the Tigers certainly would have benefitted.
For his benefit, maybe. The staying in school goes the other way also. Johnny Juzamg from UCLA was a sure fire lottery pick two seasons ago. He went back to school and now has gone undrafted only signing a two way contract. So coming back can certainly elevate one’s profile but it can also show that you have weakness.
06-24-2022 06:55 AM
TigerFan38134 Offline
Special Teams

(06-24-2022 06:55 AM)Manofplay Wrote:  
(06-23-2022 11:53 PM)passat25 Wrote:  Josh Minott is a dummy.. Kid could have been a lottery pick next year.

Let me start off by saying that if he came back, the Tigers certainly would have benefitted.
For his benefit, maybe. The staying in school goes the other way also. Johnny Juzamg from UCLA was a sure fire lottery pick two seasons ago. He went back to school and now has gone undrafted only signing a two way contract. So coming back can certainly elevate one’s profile but it can also show that you have weakness.

I know NIL changes this quite a bit, but the upside to possibly making the team financially is better than staying in college. If he stayed and got hurt next year could have dropped him out all together. I he's willing to put in the work, he can find a roster spot somewhere, may just have to move around like a gypsy before finding one
06-24-2022 07:07 AM
hk25 Offline
Special Teams

I don’t know, I think the kid did alright for himself & got drafted into the league. Being a 2nd round pick has some advantages, if you perform you can sign your 2nd contract sooner.

Taking off the blue shaded sun glasses, while he was talented he was a 2nd teamer who struggled to consistently earn stable minutes do to his lack of an outside shot, being turnover prone, & a defensive liability at times……sure some will say Penny mishandled him, but everybody is entitled to their own opinion, I know I wished he got more PT.

Saying he would be a guaranteed 1st rounder next year is a far stretch unless he improved his outside shot & ball handling significantly. If he returned, he is still primarily Williams understudy & struggling to find a position & minutes as he is a stretch 4 who struggled to stretch….but the potential is there & the 2nd round is where most NBA teams gamble on potential.
06-24-2022 07:14 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(06-23-2022 11:22 PM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  
(06-23-2022 10:55 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  Likely a two way contract pick. He would have benefited from another year with us or somebody.

He could have easily played himself well into the first round with one more year. I really don’t understand his decision given his ceiling.

I don’t know how you figure that playing behind DeAndre Williams
06-24-2022 07:34 AM
TigerFan38134 Offline
Special Teams

(06-24-2022 07:34 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  
(06-23-2022 11:22 PM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  

I don’t know how you figure that playing behind DeAndre Williams

If he could have gotten more consistent from behind the line, he would be a good 3-4 player. I don't recall call him being very consistent outside of the free throw line. Had he been able to develop an outside presence his stock would have risen. He still had lapses on defense quite often
06-24-2022 07:43 AM
Advertisement

misplaced tiger Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I honestly think that limited minutes helped him in his draft status. More PT would have exposed his lack of shooting. As it turned out, his flashes of great play made him an intriguing second rounder.

For a prospect like him, just getting a chance is all he needs. Otherwise you stay 2 or 3 years, become a great college player and be a top 10 pick. He clearly wasn't in to that.

Meanwhile, what chance will Kennedy Chandler or JD Davison ever get? There are dozens of players just like them in the NBA.
06-24-2022 08:58 AM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

Josh #45 to Hornets.
(06-24-2022 08:58 AM)misplaced tiger Wrote:  I honestly think that limited minutes helped him in his draft status. More PT would have exposed his lack of shooting. As it turned out, his flashes of great play made him an intriguing second rounder.

For a prospect like him, just getting a chance is all he needs. Otherwise you stay 2 or 3 years, become a great college player and be a top 10 pick. He clearly wasn't in to that.

Meanwhile, what chance will Kennedy Chandler or JD Davison ever get? There are dozens of players just like them in the NBA.

I get your point, but there’s a good chance Chandler will have a role with the Grizz immediately if Tyus leaves. Josh could skyrocket with his potential if he puts the work in or he could be a permanent G League fixture.

KC can shoot already. That’s pretty important in today’s NBA.
06-24-2022 09:13 AM
Tiger Joe Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mayhem
(06-24-2022 06:55 AM)Manofplay Wrote:  

I agree with you for the most part about coming back is a 2-way street but there was never a time last year that Juzang was a projected lottery pick. He was projected low first-mid second round at best.
06-24-2022 09:21 AM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
First and foremost, congrats to Josh and achieving a lifelong dream/goal!! Now the work begins. The glamour is over.....already. Now it's time to grind x10 before the dream fades.

This surely is a win for Penny (in terms of recruiting), right? Took Minott to NBA after 1 year, after being 3or4-star recruit.
06-24-2022 09:24 AM
TigerFan38134 Offline
Special Teams

(06-24-2022 09:24 AM)gusrob Wrote:  First and foremost, congrats to Josh and achieving a lifelong dream/goal!! Now the work begins. The glamour is over.....already. Now it's time to grind x10 before the dream fades.

This surely is a win for Penny (in terms of recruiting), right? Took Minott to NBA after 1 year, after being 3or4-star recruit.

If you followed Josh, many recruiters had him on their list prior to the season as he did really well for the Pro-Day Penny held preseason. While it looks good on draft day having him out of Memphis, those that follow the program know he made his mark before Penny really got into the mix with him.
06-24-2022 09:27 AM
Advertisement

MemphisRTL Offline
2nd String

Not very happy…
06-24-2022 10:40 AM
450bench Offline

(06-24-2022 10:40 AM)MemphisRTL Wrote:  

Not very happy…

Tough turds Josh. Hate to say that because I like the guy but….
06-24-2022 10:59 AM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

Not very happy…

Ungrateful little ***
So many players would do anything to even get drafted. I don’t know what people were telling him for him to think he was a first rounder this year. Hope he grows up, puts in the work and sticks around the league for a while.
06-24-2022 11:04 AM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

Josh #45 to Hornets.
(06-24-2022 10:59 AM)450bench Wrote:  

Not very happy…

Tough turds Josh. Hate to say that because I like the guy but….

Anger about what?? He thought he was gonna be a 1st round pick? This doesn’t really flow with what was said around these parts. People made it sound like he just wanted to get to the league no matter what. Hard to believe no one told him that he wouldn’t be a 1st rounder this year.
06-24-2022 11:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.