ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fan and Visitor Experiences
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion, Sun Belt
New conference, new visitors and new first impressions for our game day experience. We've got VTech coming season opener, bunch of new conference mates to live up to, and hopefully a bunch more Monarch fans coming out of the woodwork/returning to the fold now that our product on the field looks to be improving.

Do we know if we are upping our game in any areas for fans or people coming to Norfolk? Tailgating? Partying? Special foods or drinks? New traditions? Just curious if there are plans to change anything.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2022 03:15 PM by ODU-Z8.)
06-16-2022 03:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Fan and Visitor Experiences
(06-16-2022 03:14 PM)ODU-Z8 Wrote:  New conference, new visitors and new first impressions for our game day experience. We've got VTech coming season opener, bunch of new conference mates to live up to, and hopefully a bunch more Monarch fans coming out of the woodwork/returning to the fold now that our product on the field looks to be improving.

Do we know if we are upping our game in any areas for fans or people coming to Norfolk? Tailgating? Partying? Special foods or drinks? New traditions? Just curious if there are plans to change anything.

I know nothing. But some ideas Id like to see that might not be too out of reach would include:

still hope one of these days they will install the cool branding/signage banners on the west side that hid the exposed inside parts and just screamed school pride and excitement is inside. That was the coolest part of the new stadium design and somehow they scrapped it.

Id like to hear the marching band play longer on Kaufman Mall, and I do enjoy it when they have rock bands etc play there too.

Flyovers are awesome and tie into the area so well. It just feels "big time"

Id also like to have a few post game fireworks shows or something.

One day Id love to have another lion fountain out by the stadium around 49th Hampton Blvd. Have fans come by and rub his head for luck, or something like that.

More Big Blue! Everyone loves Big Blue. Maybe get a couple more suits and have him roaming the tailgate lots, Kaufman Mall, maybe even pop in Hanks or something. Having people posting pics with him all over social media would be great.

Cheap game day T shirts!

And where is the ODU Monarchs Big Blue Brew? Gotta have a branded beer. Even better if its sold throughout stores in Hampton Roads.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2022 03:53 PM by monarx.)
06-16-2022 03:51 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Please scrap the "reign on" banner unfurling. It is lame beyond belief.
06-16-2022 05:24 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

(06-16-2022 03:51 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(06-16-2022 03:14 PM)ODU-Z8 Wrote:  New conference, new visitors and new first impressions for our game day experience. We've got VTech coming season opener, bunch of new conference mates to live up to, and hopefully a bunch more Monarch fans coming out of the woodwork/returning to the fold now that our product on the field looks to be improving.

I know nothing. But some ideas Id like to see that might not be too out of reach would include:

still hope one of these days they will install the cool branding/signage banners on the west side that hid the exposed inside parts and just screamed school pride and excitement is inside. That was the coolest part of the new stadium design and somehow they scrapped it.

Id like to hear the marching band play longer on Kaufman Mall, and I do enjoy it when they have rock bands etc play there too.

Flyovers are awesome and tie into the area so well. It just feels "big time"

Id also like to have a few post game fireworks shows or something.

One day Id love to have another lion fountain out by the stadium around 49th Hampton Blvd. Have fans come by and rub his head for luck, or something like that.

More Big Blue! Everyone loves Big Blue. Maybe get a couple more suits and have him roaming the tailgate lots, Kaufman Mall, maybe even pop in Hanks or something. Having people posting pics with him all over social media would be great.

Cheap game day T shirts!

And where is the ODU Monarchs Big Blue Brew? Gotta have a branded beer. Even better if its sold throughout stores in Hampton Roads.

Great ideas. If someone could accompany BB and have a minicam with them to show candid, spontaneous interactions in unexpected places I think that would hold lots more interest and we could scrap all the worn out "smile" or "kiss" or "flex" segments no one watches.
06-16-2022 05:28 PM
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

(06-16-2022 05:24 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Please scrap the "reign on" banner unfurling. It is lame beyond belief.

But how will everyone know that we reign? </sarcasm>

Seriously kill that thing with fire.
06-16-2022 06:06 PM
ODUPKT07 Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-16-2022 06:06 PM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  
(06-16-2022 05:24 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Please scrap the "reign on" banner unfurling. It is lame beyond belief.

But how will everyone know that we reign? </sarcasm>

Seriously kill that thing with fire.
^ this

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
06-16-2022 10:06 PM
Advertisement

The Flagship Online
All American

What we need to do is stop spending money on things that don't REALLY matter. WE CAN NOT AFFORD BELLS AND WHISTLES (Yes, the sky is falling)
06-17-2022 04:56 AM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(06-17-2022 04:56 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  What we need to do is stop spending money on things that don't REALLY matter. WE CAN NOT AFFORD BELLS AND WHISTLES (Yes, the sky is falling)

This may be true. Apparently it was with the football stadium. But if so, why? Lots of G5s have nice stadiums with good amenities, architectural features, fountains, suites, etc. Not to mention convenient bathrooms. We have a great budget for our programs. Are we mis managing the money? It’s not like we are over paying our coaches. Why can’t we afford the nice things others seem to have?
06-17-2022 07:40 AM
DWING Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & JMU & ECU

This ONE MILLION times.

"it's our new tradition, stand while we unfurl the reign on banner"

or words similar to that, soooooo stupid.

You can't force tradition.
06-17-2022 08:33 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(06-17-2022 08:33 AM)DWING Wrote:  

This ONE MILLION times.

It does look good in the television ad, which was a good reason to do it once.
06-17-2022 08:36 AM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(06-17-2022 08:36 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(06-17-2022 08:33 AM)DWING Wrote:  

This ONE MILLION times.

It does look good in the television ad, which was a good reason to do it once.

Agreed. And the students seem to like it. I've seen similar things done more authentically at other schools and it looks pretty cool. I think its the advertising slogan that makes it cringey to me. If it were a banner with the big shield or Go Big Blue or something it would be better.
06-17-2022 09:09 AM
Advertisement

Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I agree !!! We need to raise a flag at the start of the 4th quarter with Big Blue raising the ODU Banner to some exciting song.
06-17-2022 10:57 AM
LetsGoODU Online
1st String

(06-17-2022 10:57 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

I agree !!! We need to raise a flag at the start of the 4th quarter with Big Blue raising the ODU Banner to some exciting song.

I like this. OR a famous ODU alumn
06-17-2022 01:05 PM
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

Pretty sure you have to “reign” before you can “reign on”. And short of an Olympic sport here or there, we’re not reigning much these last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-17-2022 02:18 PM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

(06-17-2022 02:18 PM)ODU1986 Wrote:  Pretty sure you have to “reign” before you can “reign on”. And short of an Olympic sport here or there, we’re not reigning much these last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://odusports.com/news/2022/5/23/wom...ships.aspx

https://odusports.com/news/2021/11/7/wom...nship.aspx

https://odusports.com/news/2022/5/22/men...rnoon.aspx

https://odusports.com/news/2021/5/30/baseball-champs-odu-takes-down-la-tech-7-5-wins-first-ever-c-usa-title.aspx

https://odusports.com/news/2019/3/16/211795873.aspx

"here and there"
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2022 03:06 PM by Blue_Trombone.)
06-17-2022 03:06 PM
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion, Sun Belt
At the orioles game, when the National Anthem hits the "O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave" line, the crowd shouts "O!!!" for orioles.

We could do that too, or OD or something
06-19-2022 12:29 PM
Advertisement

ODU True Blue Offline
All American

(06-19-2022 12:29 PM)ODU-Z8 Wrote:  At the orioles game, when the National Anthem hits the "O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave" line, the crowd shouts "O!!!" for orioles.

We could do that too, or OD or something

Crowd shouts just the O…. I think anything else would disrespect the National Anthem and the flag. But that is just me.
06-20-2022 04:17 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
My cousin is going to ODU in the fall and I can't wait to take him around campus for the VT gameday. It has been a while since I've been to a football game due to COVID (the home opener against NSU) so I can't wait to get back into seeing all the gameday traditions and explore campus again. I hope that the marketing/gameday experience teams have come up with something to start the new era of SunBelt football with.

I agree with the criticism "Reign On" banner unfurling but I only ever saw it the first time they did it so it was kinda meh. Have the fans and students bought into it more? Maybe the students should unfurl something at the beginning of the game like soccer fans do while the entire stadium is going nuts, it could have a bigger affect.

Raising a flag at the 4th quarter as Mr.BigBlue and LetsGoODU mentioned would be awesome, especially if it can be a famous alumni. Do it at the top of the SEZ or erect another flag pole in a corner so everyone can see it. I can see the stadium going nuts for someone like Heinicke, and I'm sure a business would love to sponsor it "It's the 4th quarter Monarch flag raise presented by Doumar's!" or something along those lines

I know we do light shows, other college and NFL teams do this but maybe have the light show go off when we score (if we already do that forgive me it's been a while since I've been to a game)

I know we have a DJ but do we have an in-game MC who walks around the stadium and interviews fans during timeouts and between quarters? I know that's very pro sports but it could engage fans especially if they win prizes for getting ODU trivia answers correct or guessing a song or picking the right helmet where a football is hiding under for the helmet shuffle. When I was a student, they used to find a "student fan of the game" and interview them and post them on ODUsports.com, maybe they can revamp that and post it on instagram or something.
06-20-2022 08:20 AM
The Doctor Is In Offline
Special Teams

Maybe Jack Ankerson could walk around the stadium during the game with a hot mike interviewing fans and pipe the interviews onto the video screen band that surrounds the inner ring of the stadium?
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2022 09:54 AM by The Doctor Is In.)
06-20-2022 09:49 AM
Stat Geek Online
Heisman

That is probably a terrible idea. Have you heard our fans :)
06-20-2022 10:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.