Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fan Base Sizes Ranked
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Fan Base Sizes Ranked
They say Football fan bases...but it really has to include basketball in there. Why else would Syracuse be 14th and UConn 42nd? However, Duke I would think would also be much higher.

This firm is actually well known. They used some of of our old friends to analyze (NYTimes). It short changes some of the recent rapid risers (Clemson, UCF, Cincy, Coastal, App St, etc...).

This analysis might measure breadth but not depth. I.E. Breadth is a fan likes a team casually but only gets invested when they get in the Top 25 or make a run in the basketball tournament. Depth is a fan who bleeds the colors: season tickets yet lives 4 hours away, makes bowl games, attends basketball tournaments, donates money....etc...

As a lifelong Cuse fan I can tell you we have breadth not depth. When we win...the bandwagon grows overnight with NYC and other east coast folks along with Upstate NY diaspora. When we are mediocre (basically most of the last 20 years in FB and 5 in BB) it is only the local T-shirt fans that attend games. I don't believe we are the 14th largest but more like around 35-40.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MiUOwx8...LLCoJ/view
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2022 08:42 AM by TexanMark.)
06-16-2022 08:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

RE: Fan Base Sizes Ranked
p.s. anyone smarter than me...post the google doc so we can see it without clicking on the link?

Fan Bases' ranked

Ohio State
Notre Dame
Texas
Penn State
Michigan
Florida
Oregon
Bama
Wisconsin
SC
LSU
UGA
Texas A+M
Syracuse
Auburn
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Mich St
Miami
FSU
UNC
So Caro
Mizzou
Nebraska
Washington
Iowa
UCLA
Clemson
VTech
Arkansas
UK
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2022 08:41 AM by TexanMark.)
06-16-2022 08:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cottager Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Nebraska, Montana
Here is a discussion about this if you’re interested

https://csnbbs.com/thread-949009.html
06-16-2022 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(06-16-2022 08:33 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  p.s. anyone smarter than me...post the google doc so we can see it without clicking on the link?

Fan Bases' ranked

Ohio State
Notre Dame
Texas
Penn State
Michigan
Florida
Oregon
Bama
Wisconsin
SC
LSU
UGA
Texas A+M
Syracuse
Auburn
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Mich St
Miami
FSU
UNC
So Caro
Mizzou
Nebraska
Washington
Iowa
UCLA
Clemson
VTech
Arkansas
UK

While I agree that OSU is near the top, the fanbase didn't really exist until 2002.
06-16-2022 08:45 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(06-16-2022 08:45 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  
(06-16-2022 08:33 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  p.s. anyone smarter than me...post the google doc so we can see it without clicking on the link?

Fan Bases' ranked

Ohio State
Notre Dame
Texas
Penn State
Michigan
Florida
Oregon
Bama
Wisconsin
SC
LSU
UGA
Texas A+M
Syracuse
Auburn
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Mich St
Miami
FSU
UNC
So Caro
Mizzou
Nebraska
Washington
Iowa
UCLA
Clemson
VTech
Arkansas
UK

While I agree that OSU is near the top, the fanbase didn't really exist until 2002.

I am far from an OSU fan, but you are kidding yourself if you think the OSU fan base did not exist until 2002. I can remember going to an Ohio State football game with some buddies in the early 90s and there were 90K+ people there.
06-16-2022 09:10 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio

Fan Bases' ranked

Ohio State
Notre Dame
Texas
Penn State
Michigan
Florida
Oregon
Bama
Wisconsin
SC
LSU
UGA
Texas A+M
Syracuse
Auburn
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Mich St
Miami
FSU
UNC
So Caro
Mizzou
Nebraska
Washington
Iowa
UCLA
Clemson
VTech
Arkansas
UK

Yikes, are you trolling or being serious? Do you honestly think Ohio State was not a successful program until 2002? Sure, the '80's and '90's had some rough spots, but look at their history. Also, Ohio State is located in a large city with no NFL, MLB or NBA.
06-16-2022 09:22 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I think that Ohio State has had a very large fanbase for about 8 or 9 decades.
06-16-2022 09:24 AM
MattBrownEP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: newsletter subscriptions
(06-16-2022 08:45 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  While I agree that OSU is near the top, the fanbase didn't really exist until 2002.

were you born in 2003 or something?
06-16-2022 09:50 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation RE: Fan Base Sizes Ranked
(06-16-2022 08:33 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Fan Bases' ranked

1. Ohio State
2. Notre Dame
3. Texas
4. Penn State
5. Michigan
6. Florida
7. Oregon
8. Bama
9. Wisconsin
10. So. Cal.

Someone really ought to schedule a game between the top two fan bases. That should get good TV ratings, right?
07-coffee3
06-16-2022 09:52 AM
Kyle Mack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati Bearcats

Fan Bases' ranked

Ohio State
Notre Dame
Texas
Penn State
Michigan
Florida
Oregon
Bama
Wisconsin
SC
LSU
UGA
Texas A+M
Syracuse
Auburn
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Mich St
Miami
FSU
UNC
So Caro
Mizzou
Nebraska
Washington
Iowa
UCLA
Clemson
VTech
Arkansas
UK

Paul Brown and Woody Hayes will haunt you for this. 05-mafia
06-16-2022 10:13 AM
AztecEmpire Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SDSU
They're drinking their own cool-aid if they think only 8% of fans cheer for G5s and 92% cheer for A5s. If anything the metric measures how desirable attending games is for fans of each school listed.
06-16-2022 11:21 AM
Advertisement

MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Any list that puts Nebraska behind Wisconsin has no credibility. Nebraska sold out their stadium for something like 50+ years. I was at a Nebraska game when they were up 55-0 with a couple minutes to go at the end of the fourth quarter, and everyone, and I mean everyone, stayed in their seats to watch how the 5th string quarterback performed. On the flip side, I have been to a Wisconsin game where I was the only person in the entire upper deck (when my girlfriend left to buy a soda). For years, the only reason a portion of the crowd stayed till the end of a Wisconsin game was to watch the band perform the 5th quarter. No comparison.
06-16-2022 11:30 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
University of Oregon has 1.5 million more fans than the entire state of Oregon?...and more fans than Clemson and Florida State...combined?

Syracuse University has more fans than Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Nebraska?

I call bull.

I don't see much on their methodology for counting fans other than a reference to some 2011 and 2014 New York Times studies and 2014 Vivid Seats ticket sales data and a statement that they 'normalized' the data based on 2020 Census information and Google trends data...with no links.

Anybody see any other details?

Some obvious outliers. Why ignore data points like recent attendance reports and TV viewership numbers?
06-16-2022 12:20 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
Pretty sure Michigan has a bigger fan base than both Texas and Penn State.
06-16-2022 12:29 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(06-16-2022 12:29 PM)utpotts Wrote:  Pretty sure Michigan has a bigger fan base than both Texas and Penn State.

Penn State captures a lot of random fans around the NE...
06-16-2022 12:34 PM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(06-16-2022 09:22 AM)cubucks Wrote:  

Fan Bases' ranked

Ohio State
Notre Dame
Texas
Penn State
Michigan
Florida
Oregon
Bama
Wisconsin
SC
LSU
UGA
Texas A+M
Syracuse
Auburn
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Mich St
Miami
FSU
UNC
So Caro
Mizzou
Nebraska
Washington
Iowa
UCLA
Clemson
VTech
Arkansas
UK

Yikes, are you trolling or being serious? Do you honestly think Ohio State was not a successful program until 2002? Sure, the '80's and '90's had some rough spots, but look at their history. Also, Ohio State is located in a large city with no NFL, MLB or NBA.

OSU's rough spots are what 95% of schools would call sustained greatness. When your coaches win 9-10 games a year but are run out of town for not beating Michigan, you're in a different plane of existence.
06-16-2022 01:25 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(06-16-2022 12:20 PM)YNot Wrote:  University of Oregon has 1.5 million more fans than the entire state of Oregon?...and more fans than Clemson and Florida State...combined?

I call bull.

I don't see much on their methodology for counting fans other than a reference to some 2011 and 2014 New York Times studies and 2014 Vivid Seats ticket sales data and a statement that they 'normalized' the data based on 2020 Census information and Google trends data...with no links.

Some obvious outliers. Why ignore data points like recent attendance reports and TV viewership numbers?

I agree. There are way too many examples that make no sense. Syracuse #14? Seriously? UNC ahead of South Carolina and Clemson? I don't think so. Even if you count the thousands of Tar Heel fans who come to games disguised as empty seats they don't come close to their southern cousins.
06-16-2022 05:28 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(06-16-2022 12:20 PM)YNot Wrote:  University of Oregon has 1.5 million more fans than the entire state of Oregon?...and more fans than Clemson and Florida State...combined?

I call bull.

Don't forget that Oregon recruits and has fans outside the state of Oregon as well. Northern California also follows the Ducks. Not sure about Syracuse. But to have a fanbase that rivals the Giants and the Bills is rather outlandish, IMO. Also YNot, I checked the Vivid Seats study myself. It wasn't 2014 when it was published, but rather 2019, so it's relevant.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2022 03:47 AM by DawgNBama.)
06-17-2022 03:45 AM
CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(06-17-2022 03:45 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

I call bull.

Don't forget that Oregon recruits and has fans outside the state of Oregon as well. Northern California also follows the Ducks. Not sure about Syracuse. But to have a fanbase that rivals the Giants and the Bills is rather outlandish, IMO. Also YNot, I checked the Vivid Seats study myself. It wasn't 2014 when it was published, but rather 2019, so it's relevant.

The problem with the Vivid Seats study is some universities are contracted to different secondary market vendors. I know UofL is contracted with Ticketmaster for all ticket distribution ( no printed tickets) and SeatGeek for secondary market sales.
06-17-2022 05:02 AM
CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
My biggest problem with the study is the assumptions this young man makes. He used the flawed NYT study from 2011. For example the NYT used Google searches in 2011 as part of its survey.

In 2021, a decade after the NYT study, 37% of Kentucky still did not have internet and in Mississippi nearly 40% didn’t have internet. The South is still the least connected region of the country. To make the number of Google searches determine anything assumes everyone has the same access to the platform. That’s more of the Northern bias.

The 10 least connected States in order:

Mississippi
Arkansas
Alabama
Oklahoma
New Mexico
Louisiana
West Virginia
Kentucky
Tennessee
Alaska

I know everyone has a smart phone. Not in 2011 they didn’t. There are parts of Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee and Mississippi where a cell phone is at times useless. It’s just a fancy paperweight.

https://www.reviews.org/internet-service...onnection/

Since both studies used this flawed study I would argue that any program in the South is woefully underrepresented in this study. Certainly in the States with limited internet service.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2022 08:20 AM by CardinalJim.)
06-17-2022 05:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.