Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Wuhan Lujan requests delay of DHS plan to send more migrants to Albuquerque
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Wuhan Lujan requests delay of DHS plan to send more migrants to Albuquerque
Quote:SANTA FE, N.M. — Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham sent a letter to U.S. Department of Homeland Security Sec. Alejando Mayorkas Tuesday, requesting the federal government delay planned or expanded efforts to transport migrants to New Mexico. She said the plan would dramatically affect the state’s capacity to provide ongoing humanitarian assistance to wildfire relief efforts.

The governor met with Mayorkas last month, where she requested additional wildfire disaster assistance from the federal government through the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The governor’s request was recently granted by President Joe Biden, who announced that the federal government will cover 100% of costs for emergency protective work and debris removal under New Mexico’s existing wildfire disaster declaration.

“The existing emergency arising from these wildfires has severely taxed the capacity of our state to provide resources to non-New Mexicans. I cannot allow the governments and communities of the state of New Mexico to shoulder additional burdens falling squarely within the federal government’s purview,” the governor wrote.

Regarding the federal government’s plans to address the influx of migrants at the southern border, the governor added:

“I have serious concerns regarding the Department’s readiness to address the influx of individuals who are poised to enter New Mexico if further preparation is not undertaken. Public safety and health are paramount, and I do not believe that the Department can adequately address these health and safety concerns if existing limitations on migrant entry are lifted.”

Link
06-19-2022 07:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.