CFN 2022 SBC Preview: Old Dominion
06-13-2022 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: CFN 2022 SBC Preview: Old Dominion
Interesting write up, although I'd say that it whiffs in that they don't seem to realize that ODU made a QB change halfway through the season, basically exactly when we started to win games.

Quote:Hayden Wolff is a big passer who’ll be the star of the attack over the next few years. The sophomore hit 63% of his passes for close to 2,000 yards and ten touchdowns with seven touchdowns, and backup DJ Mack stepped in and added a rushing punch with six touchdowns to go along with 856 passing yards and five scores.

Should read something like "Hayden Wolff stepped in and went 5-1 at the halfway mark in the season, leading the Monarchs to a bowl game after DJ Mack went 1-5 start the season. Mack was still productive with 856 passing yards and five scores although they just could not get games in the win column"

Giving JMU 6 wins and ODU 4.5 in my opinion is downright laughable tho
06-13-2022 10:04 AM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
"More than likely" starting out 0-3 seems to be severely overrating ECU and UVA imo. Those games are pretty 50/50 if you ask me, and VT is a very winnable game as well.

I do agree with them though that ODU will have a better team but could easily have a worse(or even really bad) record due to the tougher schedule.
06-13-2022 10:12 AM
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion, Sun Belt
There's reason to believe both our offense and defense will be better than last year. We had an insanely young team and a lot of growing pains (like needing to switch QB midseason). The writeup seems kinda lackadaisical but he's right about a few things. Namely we are a big X factor this year, and

Quote:There’s a chance to get to five wins if the team wins most of the 50/50 games, and it can get back to a bowl if everything breaks right.

Don’t be shocked, though, at anything this team is about to do.

There's really no telling what our ceiling is. Buuuut we also thought that last year and started 0-6 01-lauramac2
06-13-2022 10:25 AM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(06-13-2022 10:04 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Interesting write up, although I'd say that it whiffs in that they don't seem to realize that ODU made a QB change halfway through the season, basically exactly when we started to win games.

College Football News whiffs on everything.

There is no deep research done. Nothing like you'd read on Athlon or The Athletic. The CFN formula is to pour out as much content as possible, with as few writers as possible... and it shows.
06-13-2022 10:26 AM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(06-13-2022 10:04 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Interesting write up, although I'd say that it whiffs in that they don't seem to realize that ODU made a QB change halfway through the season, basically exactly when we started to win games.

Quote:Hayden Wolff is a big passer who’ll be the star of the attack over the next few years. The sophomore hit 63% of his passes for close to 2,000 yards and ten touchdowns with seven touchdowns, and backup DJ Mack stepped in and added a rushing punch with six touchdowns to go along with 856 passing yards and five scores.

Should read something like "Hayden Wolff stepped in and went 5-1 at the halfway mark in the season, leading the Monarchs to a bowl game after DJ Mack went 1-5 start the season. Mack was still productive with 856 passing yards and five scores although they just could not get games in the win column"

How exactly does ODU win 4.5 games? Are they saying that one of their games is going to end in a tie and counting that as 1/2 a win?
06-13-2022 10:43 AM
odufansam Offline
1st String

If ODU wins 6 next year, they will have improved over last season. I realistically think they will finish 5-7. The schedule will be very challenging.
06-13-2022 11:34 AM
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

(06-13-2022 10:43 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

How exactly does ODU win 4.5 games? Are they saying that one of their games is going to end in a tie and counting that as 1/2 a win?

4.5 basically is saying that ODU will win 4 games and be in at least 1 50/50 game. (I guess they could mean that ODU is in 9 50/50 games as well)
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2022 11:44 AM by Blue_Trombone.)
06-13-2022 11:43 AM
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

If ODU doesn't go 14-0, we riot 02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana

Realistically I think we get 7 wins and go to a bowl. Schedule is brutal but I think we steal more than this writer is expecting
06-13-2022 11:48 AM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

This ODU team is still green but now has in game experience so that has to account for something. I am cautiously optimistic we will do 6-6 or better but playing in the toughest division in college FB isn't easy to do so i could be wrong by a wide margin when all is said and done.
06-13-2022 01:00 PM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Its about how I see it. We'll have a better team than last season, and likely a worse record because of how tough the schedule is. I see 4 wins. If we somehow got 6 (which is possible if everything goes great) it will be a heck of a season.
06-13-2022 03:12 PM
Retroview1955 Offline
1st String

(06-13-2022 10:12 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  "More than likely" starting out 0-3 seems to be severely overrating ECU and UVA imo. Those games are pretty 50/50 if you ask me, and VT is a very winnable game as well.

I do agree with them though that ODU will have a better team but could easily have a worse(or even really bad) record due to the tougher schedule.

And coming from the FCS they have JMU going .500. Makes total sense. Look at what was written about us last year. Look at how that ended. We gave 4 games away too. Clowns will be clowns I guess....
06-13-2022 07:29 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
If you play your whole season like you did the second half of last year you will be fine. If the team regressed and has to learn it all over again, then I see 4-5 wins.
06-13-2022 08:03 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

The non-conference schedule is going to be a total crapshoot. Virginia Tech and UVA have new coaches, Liberty has a new QB. They could go 0-3 for sure but they could also win 2 or even 3 depending on how quickly things come together for ODU and if they don’t come together quickly for their opponents.

We’d better not finish behind JMU though. Bad enough we’re getting big-timed by two of our biggest basketball rivals, we really don’t need that too.
06-13-2022 08:55 PM
ODU-Z8 Offline
1st String

(06-13-2022 08:03 PM)MUther Wrote:  If you play your whole season like you did the second half of last year you will be fine. If the team regressed and has to learn it all over again, then I see 4-5 wins.
I think that's fair. Preliminary reports say progress is being made, but we will have to see ourselves come September.

Can't come soon enough!!
06-13-2022 09:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.