Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC to go it alone with own playoffs
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
SEC to go it alone with own playoffs
YES please let this happen… so the rest of college football can just have their own playoffs
If the SEC actually does do this how many teams will join them ?
It will be interesting to see this play out
Let them have their 24 or 32 teams and watch them claim a national title
It’s just that it won’t be a national title because 98 other teams won’t just go away, they will form together and have real games and playoffs WITH OUT A FRICKIN SELECTION COMMITTEE…
05-23-2022 10:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
RE: SEC to go it alone with own playoffs
(05-23-2022 10:46 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  YES please let this happen… so the rest of college football can just have their own playoffs
It’s just that it won’t be a national title because 98 other teams won’t just go away, they will form together and have real games and playoffs WITH OUT A FRICKIN SELECTION COMMITTEE…

?

Sexy linkage?
05-23-2022 11:17 PM
Pirate Rep Online
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
(05-23-2022 10:46 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  YES please let this happen… so the rest of college football can just have their own playoffs

Interesting. It could be posturing or the beginning of the split? Can they get the BIG TEN to come along in a top revenue club? What will their revenue partners say?

No one in the P5 can compete with these two financially. I think they come after some schools and go off on their own. The left behinds will be fine with their own playoff settled on the field.

The current model is very broken and revenue disparity along with greed is killing it. Educational institution have forgotten their purpose.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2022 07:37 AM by Pirate Rep.)
05-24-2022 07:36 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
(05-23-2022 11:17 PM)58-56 Wrote:  

?

Sexy linkage?

One idea certain to be discussed by SEC officials in Destin is the notion of the SEC creating, running and profiting from its own intra-SEC postseason. The most obvious model is an eight-team one, but there are others that will be discussed.

Pete Thamel has thrown this out there as a SEC parrot without a quote from a source.

Once the ESPN Mothership said it all the local papers have to write their own with Pete Thamel as the source.

AL.com
https://www.al.com/sec/2022/05/secs-own-...eport.html

Tennessen
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/...896306002/

///

If the SEC does its own playoff we are going back to the Poll Era. The Big10 is just good enough to create a controversy.

If the SEC makes their own playoff on ESPN. The Big10 will follow suit and make their own on FOX.

I doubt the networks would care about a PAC, Big12, ACC or G5 playoff.

I wonder if this talk forces Notre Dame into a conference. If Notre Dame joins the SEC, its a sign of the end. The top teams from every conference will send their applications to the SEC.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2022 08:18 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
05-24-2022 08:05 AM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
It's all been predetermined. 2 leagues, 2 networks... it's only a matter of who makes the final cut into one of the 2.
05-24-2022 08:07 AM
TUCandoit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa

Unfortunately, that's not how the rest of the population will see it. They will see the SEC as true champions and the other league as not good enough to make tourney. It's the exact same thing as the NCAA tournament and NIT. It's the same thing as the MLB World Series and Minor League championship. The remaining 98 teams will be relugated as the lesser league and their title won't mean much.
05-24-2022 08:14 AM
Advertisement

Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
isn't a conference schedule a conference playoffs? i think you all overrate the power of espn, the sec, etc, if you think they can pull of some nonsense where they play a 12 game season to determine a conference champion and then pick 8 of those 16 league teams to play in a playoffs to determine who is the best in the country. who other than SEC fans would watch that garbage?
05-24-2022 08:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
No way the SEC pulls this off on their own… I’ll believe it when 40 programs or more get together and decide to form a separate league.
05-24-2022 08:42 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Wait a second. The SEC hasn't made this decision. It's simply a topic of conversation at the upcoming spring meetings. It's a long way from being done, as the thread title seems to imply. Right now, I doubt it ever happens. Just saber rattling for the moment.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...g-meetings

I'm sure this has arisen b/c the SEC is unhappy with the 12 team CFP being blocked until the current contract runs it course in 4 more years.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2022 08:56 AM by TripleA.)
05-24-2022 08:54 AM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
CFB keeps getting farther and farther away from being watchable. Conference movement every few years. Loss of rivalries. Conferences too big to play everyone. ESPN always pushing their agenda when it relates to CFB.

SEC breaks off, I am done watching SEC and most of the other college football. Money and greed is ruining any enjoyment of the sport.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2022 08:55 AM by bearcat29.)
05-24-2022 08:54 AM
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fresno State, MWC, MAC
How boring
05-24-2022 09:07 AM
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
They should have expanded the CFP to 12-teams. SEC was Pro-CFP Expansion and the Alliance got insecure and blocked it.

Makes sense for the SEC to split. They produce the most CFP teams, have won the most CFP championships.

Where is the Alliance now?
05-24-2022 09:29 AM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says aac needs playoffs.
05-24-2022 09:37 AM
40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe
The ever expanding hubris of the SEC is astounding. Narcissism run amok.
05-24-2022 09:52 AM
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
I believe we will ultimately have "4" (20) Team Conferences in their own new Division. The Super Division. Those four conferences will be,

The B1G, The SEC, The PAC and The Big XX conference.
( That's right, the ACC gets devoured by the SEC, B1G and Big XX. )

The B1G takes,
1, Boston College
2, Syracuse University
3, University of Pittsburg
4, University of Virginia
5, North Carolina University
6, Georgia Technical University.

The SEC takes,
1, Viginia Technical University
2, North Carolina State University
3, Clemson University
4, Ubiversity of South Florida

The Big XX (Formerly Big XII) takes,
1, Florida State University
2, University of Miami
3, Duke University
4, University of Louiseville
5, University of Wake Forrest
6, University of Memphis
7, University of Tulane or SMU
8, Colorado State University

That's your 3 eastern powers.

The PAC takes,
1, San Diego State University
2, Boise State University
3, University of Los Vegas
4, University of Nevada
5, Utah State University
6, University of New Mwxico
7, University of Wyoming or The Air Forse Academy
8, University of Hawii

That is your last Power Conference. They would play exclusively amoung themselves for Media maximisation of league value. They would hold their own National Championship Playoffs.
05-24-2022 01:10 PM
blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
(05-24-2022 08:54 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Wait a second. The SEC hasn't made this decision. It's simply a topic of conversation at the upcoming spring meetings. It's a long way from being done, as the thread title seems to imply. Right now, I doubt it ever happens. Just saber rattling for the moment.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...g-meetings

I'm sure this has arisen b/c the SEC is unhappy with the 12 team CFP being blocked until the current contract runs it course in 4 more years.

This story has been making the rounds in Birmingham since the ACC questioned the 12 team play-off. Supposedly they already have discussed this possibility of a 4, 6 or 8 team SEC football tournament with ESPN and they are on board should it come to be. The idea being the SEC champion would then play a "champion of the rest" in a one off National Championship game.

The chances of it happening? Slim. It's a scare tactic aimed at the conferences blocking the post season upgrades. It's more likely that the SEC will force the 12 team playoff plan that we've all heard about and tell the other conferences to join or be left out in the cold. This is the conference that stated this month, "We can stay at four," he said. "This conference will thrive at four. Period. That's not healthy for the rest of FBS college football, but we can stay at four."

Quote:"People apparently didn't take me seriously when I said we can leave it at four," Sankey said. "So I sat there watching that (Alabama-Georgia) game, thinking they just thought I wasn't serious."

Sankey said that two weeks ago when the CFP management committee met, he was asked how concerning the lack of expansion was for the SEC.

His response when he heard that?

"Why?"

The notion was presented to him that with the SEC soon expanding to 16 teams (Texas and Oklahoma), fewer playoff teams will mean fewer opportunities for his own league.

"I don't think people heard me, but I'll say it clearly today," Sankey said. "We can stay at four.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/sto...601823002/
05-24-2022 01:18 PM
Advertisement

b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
(05-24-2022 08:20 AM)Meatwad Wrote:  isn't a conference schedule a conference playoffs? i think you all overrate the power of espn, the sec, etc, if you think they can pull of some nonsense where they play a 12 game season to determine a conference champion and then pick 8 of those 16 league teams to play in a playoffs to determine who is the best in the country. who other than SEC fans would watch that garbage?

You're thinking too small... it won't be 16 teams.
05-24-2022 03:36 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
SEC just posturing but it would be cool to see the other P4 conferences call their bluff and do their own playoffs.
05-24-2022 04:28 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
Ridiculous. Champ would be the SEC Champ only... not a national champion. Period.
05-24-2022 04:39 PM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
I look at it this way - the SEC usually wins the National Championship anyway. There is no doubt that most years their champion would be the best team in the country. Despite the fact that I’m a Memphis fan and pull for the AAC, I can be realistic about this.

I think it’s a pretty smart move to a least talk about this at their meeting. It would serve the Alliance right if the SEC decided to go ahead and make this move, thus putting the rest of college football in the”also ran” category.

I’ll be interested to see what happens
05-24-2022 06:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.