Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scheduling suggestions without divisions
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
Scheduling suggestions without divisions
This video (copied from the realignment board) has analysis and a proposal for each conference. AAC starts at 12:35 if you want to skip ahead. Seems quite reasonable and logical, but I'm sure there will be some negatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJf3Ih4S...nnel=D1360
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2022 10:22 AM by loki_the_bubba.)
05-19-2022 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: Scheduling without divisions
We already have a thread on this.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-947746.html
05-19-2022 10:06 AM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

RE: Scheduling without divisions
(05-19-2022 10:06 AM)TripleA Wrote:  We already have a thread on this.

That was about the news that the NCAA would allow it. This is one persons suggestion for implementation of it in the conferences. A subtle distinction, to be sure.
05-19-2022 10:17 AM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

RE: Scheduling suggestions without divisions
(05-19-2022 10:17 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(05-19-2022 10:06 AM)TripleA Wrote:  We already have a thread on this.

That was about the news that the NCAA would allow it. This is one persons suggestion for implementation of it in the conferences. A subtle distinction, to be sure.

Actually, I could have just added it to this thread that I had forgotten about.
https://csnbbs.com/thread-947412.html
05-19-2022 10:43 AM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
In years when gas is high you play the teams closest to you.

In years when it is cheap you play the teams far away.

This year any outlier teams just forfeit.
05-19-2022 11:45 AM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
Threw out the Gansz Trophy. Fail.

Also, making decisions like this based on distance is small-time thinking. If you want a bus league go to the Sun Belt. If you want a P6 with a national profile, stay in the AAC, but act like a national program.
05-19-2022 12:22 PM
Advertisement

40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe
(05-19-2022 12:22 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  Threw out the Gansz Trophy. Fail.

Also, making decisions like this based on distance is small-time thinking. If you want a bus league go to the Sun Belt. If you want a P6 with a national profile, stay in the AAC, but act like a national program.

A.M.E.N.

#P6
05-19-2022 01:59 PM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I had to look that trophy up. I was not familiar with that name.

But in the case of Rice I think his choices are pretty spot on. I don't know if I would want anyone other than SMU, Tulane, and UTSA. Even if they are three of the four closest to us. UNT is closer than Tulane, but I don't want two DFW area teams.
05-19-2022 02:08 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

(05-19-2022 02:08 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  

But in the case of Rice I think his choices are pretty spot on. I don't know if I would want anyone other than SMU, Tulane, and UTSA. Even if they are three of the four closest to us. UNT is closer than Tulane, but I don't want two DFW area teams.

I should have said "solely" based on distance, maybe.

Close CAN be a factor - it can be a path to heated rivalries. That can be good, but shouldn't be the only thing.

For the ACC he was talking about number of times played etc, and only mentioned distance ONCE. Talked about all the Big10 trophies out there.
History was rarely mentioned in the AAC section -- twice, maybe? -- but drive and distance constantly. It's small time. Is the baseline assumption for that that all your alumni stay in town? That you don't have any fanbase in other metro areas?

For football-specific discussions, only two time zones in play, doesn't matter. We all charter aeroplanes for the football team. (Navy does bus up to Philly for Temple and for Army-Navy)
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2022 02:25 PM by slhNavy91.)
05-19-2022 02:23 PM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

(05-19-2022 02:23 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

Close CAN be a factor - it can be a path to heated rivalries. That can be good, but shouldn't be the only thing.

For the ACC he was talking about number of times played etc, and only mentioned distance ONCE. Talked about all the Big10 trophies out there.
History was rarely mentioned in the AAC section -- twice, maybe? -- but drive and distance constantly. It's small time. Is the baseline assumption for that that all your alumni stay in town? That you don't have any fanbase in other metro areas?

I probably liked it because he started with Rice/SMU and the Mayor's Cup.
05-19-2022 02:26 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St

For football-specific discussions, only two time zones in play, doesn't matter. We all charter aeroplanes for the football team. (Navy does bus up to Philly for Temple and for Army-Navy)

His Big Ten section was talking about pre-1990 rivalry trophies. He discounted the trophies the Big Ten manufactured after 1990. The Navy/SMU trophy started in 2009 so that goes in line with his thinking.

History would actually favor SMU playing Rice, UNT, and Tulsa -- those are SMU's 3 most played AAC opponents (Tulsa/Tulane tied for 3rd) so that is consistent with the rest of his video.

I think no matter what, someone gets the shortend of the stick. SMU will obviously play UNT and Rice. That means one of Tulsa and Navy - both of whom would want to play SMU - gets screwed. Navy's argument is the trophy game. Tulsa's argument is they've played SMU 24 of the past 25 years, have more games in their series, and are 250 miles away.

I think he should've taken the same approach with the AAC as he did in the SBC portion - where he outlined how SBC divisions might've offered more benefits than SBC divisionless. That might be the case with the AAC.
05-19-2022 02:41 PM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

(05-19-2022 02:41 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

His Big Ten section was talking about pre-1990 rivalry trophies. He discounted the trophies the Big Ten manufactured after 1990. The Navy/SMU trophy started in 2009 so that goes in line with his thinking.

History would actually favor SMU playing Rice, UNT, and Tulsa -- those are SMU's 3 most played AAC opponents (Tulsa/Tulane tied for 3rd) so that is consistent with the rest of his video.

I think no matter what, someone gets the shortend of the stick. SMU will obviously play UNT and Rice. That means one of Tulsa and Navy - both of whom would want to play SMU - gets screwed. Navy's argument is the trophy game. Tulsa's argument is they've played SMU 24 of the past 25 years, have more games in their series, and are 250 miles away.

I think he should've taken the same approach with the AAC as he did in the SBC portion - where he outlined how SBC divisions might've offered more benefits than SBC divisionless. That might be the case with the AAC.

Id say that's not the case for the AAC.
- AAC is pretty committed to optimizing CCG matchup to optimize NY6 or CFP 6+6 chances. We've already been doing top 2. Edge divisionless.
- 3+5/5 divisionless gets you in every stadium once every four years. We have recruiting rich locations like Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee so getting locked into a division, whether North-South or East-West you miss out on something
- AAC isnt pinching pennies for travel costs - conference distributions are millions more than the Sun Belt. Besides NO AAC division COULD be as tight as Sun Belt divisions
- Those close by Sun Belt divisions offer the chance of developing heated rivalries. Good for them. Again, you just can't build that with AAC geography. 3 permanent rivals you get the best you can for rivalries, not big opportunity cost, and get the other divisionless advantaged
05-19-2022 02:59 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(05-19-2022 11:45 AM)Claw Wrote:  In years when gas is high you play the teams closest to you.

Sooooo... This year Temple 0-12?
05-19-2022 03:07 PM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(05-19-2022 03:07 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  
(05-19-2022 11:45 AM)Claw Wrote:  In years when gas is high you play the teams closest to you.

Sooooo... This year Temple 0-12?

Yeah, but they get a "Gas Price" asterisk on the record.
05-19-2022 03:17 PM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
love the video ... CITRONAUTS.
05-19-2022 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte

clt could not agree more. Most of the AAC schools (sorry eCU)have a major airport nearby so buses are not an option anyway.

#P6
05-19-2022 05:37 PM
Advertisement

CrownRoyal Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
(05-19-2022 05:37 PM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  

clt could not agree more. Most of the AAC schools (sorry eCU)have a major airport nearby so buses are not an option anyway.

#P6

The irony is even if Greenville had a "major" airport Charlotte will still bus it to Greenville.
05-22-2022 04:13 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston

honestly not a bad idea, but just needs to make a few adjusts (including maintaining the ganz trophy)

this is his model - 3 perma rivals -5 round robins
[Image: NgyCFyb.png]

simply adjusting to this:
SMU = unt, rice and navy
Navy = ecu, temple ,smu
Tulsa = UNT, memphis and utsa
FAU = Usf Temple, charlotte
Charlotte= ecu, uab and FAU

but 2 Perma rivals seems like it would be cleaner, and with few aac rivalries.. theres not a single team in here where i felt, that 1 team has to play these 3 every year.. smu is the closest with rice, unt and navy.. but smu doesnt have to play rice, neither base would care

2 perma rivals, 6 round robins (3 home, 3 away in 2 year cycles) seems like it would be alot cleaner
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2022 09:34 PM by pesik.)
05-22-2022 06:16 PM
PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: inorganic groceries
In a 2/6/6 or3/5/5 format I'd prefer my shipmates in Annapolis and Temple and/or USF permanently. But I'm absolutely certain we get the jv practice squad permanently no matter how the format shakes out 03-puke
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2022 09:24 PM by PuddlePirate.)
05-22-2022 09:20 PM
PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: inorganic groceries
(05-22-2022 04:13 PM)CrownRoyal Wrote:  
(05-19-2022 05:37 PM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  

#P6

The irony is even if Greenville had a "major" airport Charlotte will still bus it to Greenville.

The real irony is that programs have flown into PGV many times over the years. I was at PGV when the Bearcats landed a few years ago. So there is really no good reason to not fly directly into Greenville that I am aware of
05-22-2022 09:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.