Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Excellent Video on Divisionless Schedules
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Excellent Video on Divisionless Schedules
It's 24 minutes long but worth it. This is better than any article or post I've seen.

He walks through each conference: P5, G5, SWAC.

I find it very tough to argue against his logic. His 3+5+5 proposals for the ACC/SEC & 5+3+3 for B1G/MAC were on the money, IMO.

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2022 09:45 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
05-18-2022 08:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Excellent Video on Divisionless Schedules
We were discussing this on the MAC board, but IMO the MAC format 15 minutes into this video is perfect.

It has 5 protected but was able to keep Toledo/BGSU, Miami/Ball St, & all of the 5 non-Toledo Ohio round robin. It looks like NIU/EMU, Buffalo/Miami, & Buffalo/BGSU were sacrificed to maintain all of those...but still guarantee everyone unprotected plays home-and-home every 4 years.

I didn’t realize Toledo and Miami hadn’t played in 12 years. That’s absolutely insane.
05-19-2022 07:27 AM
nickp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ohio state
I do like the idea of everyone being able to visit every stadium within a 4 year span
05-19-2022 09:47 AM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I think the Sun Belt is one conference that benefits from a 2 division structure due to proximity + history and he at least made note of that unlike other people. In the end I think this guy has a good setup and it's at least well thought out.
05-19-2022 11:34 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
His ACC lineup isn't bad, I've had one similar.

I think he gets Louisville wrong though. You can't just give them scraps because they're the last team in. I think they'll get Pitt and Syracuse for sure. Louisville vs VaTech would be another good one.

Pitt and VaTech probably won't happen, and I'm also wary of Pitt-BC; I think BC gets Wake. I'm not 100% sold BC-Miami happens either. Currently, Pitt vs. Miami is Rivalry Week along with BC-Syracuse.
05-19-2022 12:18 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
5 permanent, then rotating the 4 of the other 8 every other year (5-4/4) makes the most sense for a 14 team Big 10.

3-5/5 seems logical for the ACC.

The Pac 12 probably does 3 permanent rivals and rotates 6 of the other 8 each year.

Hard to say what the Big 12 and SEC will do.
05-19-2022 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(05-19-2022 12:18 PM)esayem Wrote:  His ACC lineup isn't bad, I've had one similar.

I think he gets Louisville wrong though. You can't just give them scraps because they're the last team in. I think they'll get Pitt and Syracuse for sure. Louisville vs VaTech would be another good one.

Pitt and VaTech probably won't happen, and I'm also wary of Pitt-BC; I think BC gets Wake. I'm not 100% sold BC-Miami happens either. Currently, Pitt vs. Miami is Rivalry Week along with BC-Syracuse.

BC can't be the annual rivalry week opponent for Miami because they only play twice in 12 years in the current schedule cycle. (Same for Syracuse FWIW.) So Pitt, because they happen to be in the same division, is left by default.

Without divisions, the rivalry week matchups could easily be BC/Miami and Pitt/Syracuse as long as they're protected annual opponents.
05-19-2022 04:26 PM
BeatWestern! Online
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Yes, this is an excellent proposal, he's on target for the MAC.

IMHO, it would also be very easy for the MAC to add WKU and adopt a 4 + 4/8 format.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2022 04:36 PM by BeatWestern!.)
05-19-2022 04:32 PM
shizzle787 Online
1st String

I Root For: UConn
I actually believe going division-less could lead to more realignment. As long as a conference has an even number of regular season conference games, they can have an odd number of teams.

I absolutely think it could be possible that the MAC can now grab WKU by themselves.

What is to stop the ACC from adding WVU for a 15th football school now?
05-19-2022 04:35 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(05-19-2022 04:35 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  What is to stop the ACC from adding WVU for a 15th football school now?

UNC, Duke, UVA...
05-19-2022 05:18 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(05-19-2022 12:18 PM)esayem Wrote:  His ACC lineup isn't bad, I've had one similar.

Miami: FSU, VT, BC
FSU: Miami, GT, Clemson
GT: FSU, Clemson, Wake
Clemson: FSU, GT, NCSU
Wake: GT, Duke, NCSU,
UNC: Duke, NCSU, UVA
Duke: Wake, UNC, UVA
NCSU: Clemson, Wake, UNC
VT: Miami, UVA, Louisville
UVA: UNC, VT, Duke
Louisville: VT, Pitt, Syracuse
Pitt: Louisville, Syracuse, BC
Syracuse: Louisville, Pitt, BC
BC: Miami, Pitt, Syracuse
05-19-2022 07:34 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(05-19-2022 04:26 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  

BC can't be the annual rivalry week opponent for Miami because they only play twice in 12 years in the current schedule cycle. (Same for Syracuse FWIW.) So Pitt, because they happen to be in the same division, is left by default.

Without divisions, the rivalry week matchups could easily be BC/Miami and Pitt/Syracuse as long as they're protected annual opponents.

Yeah nerd, but here’s the thing: that BC-Miami game was never important enough to protect from the jump. So now, after 20 years, you’re telling me it’s going to be the final game of the Canes season?

Naw, that’s Pitt from here forth.

Pitt: Miami, Louisville, Syracuse

BC: Syracuse, Wake, ???

Louisville: Pitt, Syracuse, ???

Syracuse: BC, Pitt, Louisville

VaTech: UVa, ???, ???

UVa: VaTech, Carolina, ???

Miami: Pitt, FSU, ???

Book it
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2022 07:48 PM by esayem.)
05-19-2022 07:46 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

Here’s the ideal BC play. VaTech never gets an overloaded schedule and probably has a good chance to re-emerge as a power:

BC: Syracuse, Miami, VaTech

Louisville: Pitt, Syracuse, VaTech

VaTech: UVa, Louisville, BC

UVa: VaTech, Carolina, Wake

Miami: Pitt, FSU, BC
05-19-2022 09:57 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-19-2022 09:57 PM)esayem Wrote:  Here’s the ideal BC play. VaTech never gets an overloaded schedule and probably has a good chance to re-emerge as a power:

Sitting from outside the ACC, if I'm running that conference, I'm definitely protecting Miami-VT. Miami should have one Northeastern matchup, but having them play both BC and Pitt is too much. It's really Miami-Pitt that always seemed to be a random shoehorned annual game whereas BC makes more natural sense to me. The Miami-BC matchup seems to be more of a victim of the ACC's insistence on having Miami and FSU in separate divisions ever since the league expanded (as Miami-FSU obviously always needed to be a cross-division rivalry).

I'm not sure why you're wary of BC-Pitt? That's a natural historic legacy Big East matchup. Michael in Raleigh's lineup looks pretty good to me.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2022 07:46 AM by Frank the Tank.)
05-20-2022 07:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(05-20-2022 07:42 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(05-19-2022 09:57 PM)esayem Wrote:  Here’s the ideal BC play. VaTech never gets an overloaded schedule and probably has a good chance to re-emerge as a power:

Sitting from outside the ACC, if I'm running that conference, I'm definitely protecting Miami-VT. Miami should have one Northeastern matchup, but having them play both BC and Pitt is too much. It's really Miami-Pitt that always seemed to be a random shoehorned annual game whereas BC makes more natural sense to me. The Miami-BC matchup seems to be more of a victim of the ACC's insistence on having Miami and FSU in separate divisions ever since the league expanded (as Miami-FSU obviously always needed to be a cross-division rivalry).

I'm not sure why you're wary of BC-Pitt? That's a natural historic legacy Big East matchup. Michael in Raleigh's lineup looks pretty good to me.

Keep in mind, that was BC's most desired scenario.

It's possible that the conference goes to Miami-BC for Rivalry Week, or even Miami-Syracuse, which is much more competitive historically.

I think we're going to see all of BC, SU, Pitt, and VaTech vie for that annual game, and all of them have legitimate claims.

If BC-Pitt happens, it's just by default. Pitt would prefer Miami, Syracuse, VaTech, and Louisville. Possibly even Georgia Tech or Duke, but I don't see those happening.

Pitt vs Syracuse/Louisville are already annual in basketball, so I think those happen. Pitt vs Miami is logical because it's been Rivalry Week more often than not and their series dates back to the 50's.

VaTech vs Miami is great for TV, but VaTech vs FSU would be as well. I think it sticks because they are also partners in basketball and that's a simple starting point although Louisville should be allowed to start from scratch instead of being a Maryland plug, and that's why I switched them off of Virginia for VaTech.

If Pitt-Syracuse is moved to Rivalry Week then I think this is most likely:

BC: Syracuse, Miami, Pitt

Pitt: Syracuse, Louisville, BC

VaTech: UVa, Miami, Louisville

Wake: State, Duke, UVa

Miami: BC, FSU, VaTech

It's similar to what he had except I have UVa-Wake and Duke-GT
05-20-2022 09:20 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
(05-19-2022 07:34 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

Miami: FSU, VT, BC
FSU: Miami, GT, Clemson
GT: FSU, Clemson, Wake
Clemson: FSU, GT, NCSU
Wake: GT, Duke, NCSU,
UNC: Duke, NCSU, UVA
Duke: Wake, UNC, UVA
NCSU: Clemson, Wake, UNC
VT: Miami, UVA, Louisville
UVA: UNC, VT, Duke
Louisville: VT, Pitt, Syracuse
Pitt: Louisville, Syracuse, BC
Syracuse: Louisville, Pitt, BC
BC: Miami, Pitt, Syracuse

This is the best setup I've seen.
05-20-2022 09:38 AM
Advertisement

Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4

I disagree, you HAVE to give them the scraps since they are last team in. They have few natural rivalries in the ACC (Pitt, maybe some former Big East bball teams) and we know they should have been added to the Big 12 instead. I know it sucks but that's the cost of admission.
05-20-2022 09:53 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
One thing to keep in mind for teams who want Miami as an annual opponent: with divisionless scheduling, that means every other year you'll play both Miami and FSU (and, possibly, Clemson - unless it's Miami+FSU one year, Miami+Clemson the next?).
05-20-2022 10:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
As an Ohio fan I'd rather have 3 protected game than 5 protected, even if the 3 protected games were WMU, EMU and CMU.

Protecting more than 3 totally defeats the scheduling advantage of going no divisions.
05-20-2022 10:24 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(05-20-2022 10:21 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
One thing to keep in mind for teams who want Miami as an annual opponent: with divisionless scheduling, that means every other year you'll play both Miami and FSU (and, possibly, Clemson - unless it's Miami+FSU one year, Miami+Clemson the next?).

This hasn't been brought up enough. Miami is looking like they'll be back to early 2000's level.

But who does Miami want?

FSU is obvious.

They have a lot of northeastern alumni. Not particularly in Syracuse, but I imagine there are a lot in Boston and Pittsburgh. I believe at least one of those schools will be on their list.

Virginia Tech has been a permanent opponent in basketball. Why? Because they were just stuck together. Their history in football didn't begin until the Big East, and as you know Mark, VaTech had MUCH more history with FSU prior to the Big East.

That said, I think ESPN will give each of Miami and FSU a marquee opponent outside of their own in-state rivalry and a regional and/or alumni centered game.

FSU:
In-state - Miami
Marquee - Clemson
Regional/Alumni Center - GT

Miami:
In-state - FSU
Marquee - VaTech
Regional/Alumni Center - BC or Pitt
05-20-2022 10:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.