Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis Stepping Up
Bookmark and Share
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Iowa State
Memphis Stepping Up
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2022 11:16 AM by CYOWA.)
05-12-2022 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

natibeast2.0 Offline
Banned

I Root For: -
RE: Memphis Stepping Up
Outside of ACC/PAC 12 members, Memphis is far and away number 1 candidate. Great location as well and natural mix with Cincy and Houston.

Overall Support - Checked
Football - Checked
Basketball - Checked
Location - Double Checked
Facilities - Almost Checked
Academics - Not Checked, but does any regular fan really give a F unless it’s your own school

Will be interesting to watch them grow the next few years. I am guessing Memphis and UAB will be the new powers of the American.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2022 11:55 AM by natibeast2.0.)
05-12-2022 11:47 AM
UTSA_Alum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
(05-12-2022 11:47 AM)natibeast2.0 Wrote:  Outside of ACC/PAC 12 members, Memphis is far and away number 1 candidate. Great location as well and natural mix with Cincy and Houston.

Football - Checked
Basketball - Checked
Academics - Not Checked, but does any regular fan really give a F

Will be interesting to watch them grow the next few years. I am guessing Memphis and UAB will be the new powers of the American.

One 12-2 season is all it takes to check off the football requirement? Besides Beale St., Memphis is kinda...whats that word I'm looking for...
05-12-2022 11:55 AM
GumbyFromPokeyLand Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Oklahoma State
Memphis Stepping Up
Yaaaawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-12-2022 12:45 PM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

(05-12-2022 11:55 AM)UTSA_Alum Wrote:  
(05-12-2022 11:47 AM)natibeast2.0 Wrote:  Outside of ACC/PAC 12 members, Memphis is far and away number 1 candidate. Great location as well and natural mix with Cincy and Houston.

Football - Checked
Basketball - Checked
Academics - Not Checked, but does any regular fan really give a F

One 12-2 season is all it takes to check off the football requirement? Besides Beale St., Memphis is kinda...whats that word I'm looking for...

"Yikes?"

Have you been to the area around the stadium recently? The city/university has heavily invested in fixing the place up.

(05-12-2022 12:45 PM)GumbyFromPokeyLand Wrote:  Yaaaawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least they're making an effort. I won't take Boise State seriously until they get rid of that hideous turf. If nothing else, it's a nice upgrade for the Liberty Bowl- many of us may eventually wind up there one way or the other.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2022 12:57 PM by CYOWA.)
05-12-2022 12:54 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
The geography of Memphis also works well. If USFs new stadium actually gets built we may have our last two members

Jackson
05-12-2022 01:08 PM
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
Memphis Stepping Up

Football - Checked
Basketball - Checked
Academics - Not Checked, but does any regular fan really give a F unless it’s your own school

Honestly I would put Colorado St. and USF ahead of Memphis. I really don’t think Memphis gets an invite. And for them to even have a possibility at an invite we have to want to expand to 14 which already seems unlikely.

Sent from the Warp via the ruinous powers of Chaos!
05-12-2022 01:12 PM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

(05-12-2022 01:12 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  

Football - Checked
Basketball - Checked

Honestly I would put Colorado St. and USF ahead of Memphis. I really don’t think Memphis gets an invite. And for them to even have a possibility at an invite we have to want to expand to 14 which already seems unlikely.

You lost me at USF. 03-thumbsup
05-12-2022 01:22 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

Memphis Stepping Up
(05-12-2022 01:22 PM)CYOWA Wrote:  

Football - Checked
Basketball - Checked

USF is a better school and gives a partner to UCF that has shown to produce a rivalry with HUGE tv numbers. That cannot be understated!

05-12-2022 01:35 PM
cc22 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: football
What are USFs TV numbers for games not involving UCF?

Also, having been to both of Iowa States games at the Liberty Bowl, that stadium needs to be razed
05-12-2022 01:39 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

Memphis Stepping Up
(05-12-2022 01:39 PM)cc22 Wrote:  What are USFs TV numbers for games not involving UCF?

Also, having been to both of Iowa States games at the Liberty Bowl, that stadium needs to be razed

To your first question that would very much depend on who the opponent was. To the second, I’ve never been there so I can’t say either way.

05-12-2022 01:44 PM
Advertisement

BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF

Football - Checked
Basketball - Checked

Same here, UCF has a stronger presence in Tampa than usf does, we routinely outnumber them in their own stadium. We don’t need to add a bad athletics program that wouldn’t help our money anyways. And we don’t need them as a travel partner, it’s going to be similar to how TCU doesn’t want SMU in the conference.
05-12-2022 02:05 PM
Noise Penalty Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Memphis has potential. Great basketball (historically). The town itself is a dump besides a couple of historic areas (at least it was in 2010). Football fans are spirited and their administration is ready to do what it takes. They don't take themselves for granted and they also seemed to be excited about the team even in their worst years.

usf can't get out of the past and thinking that they are better than they are. Their die hard fans still think that they were something special back in the day and that they are too good for the AAC. They will never get the support they need as long as they refuse to embrace the AAC which is going to get a bit harder when UCF, UC and UH leave.
05-12-2022 02:13 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

Memphis Stepping Up
(05-12-2022 02:13 PM)Noise Penalty Wrote:  Memphis has potential. Great basketball (historically). The town itself is a dump besides a couple of historic areas (at least it was in 2010). Football fans are spirited and their administration is ready to do what it takes. They don't take themselves for granted and they also seemed to be excited about the team even in their worst years.

usf can't get out of the past and thinking that they are better than they are. Their die hard fans still think that they were something special back in the day and that they are too good for the AAC. They will never get the support they need as long as they refuse to embrace the AAC which is going to get a bit harder when UCF, UC and UH leave.

True, ultimately I think this is all irrelevant as I very much doubt the big 12 expands unless they are forced too.

05-12-2022 02:15 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(05-12-2022 02:05 PM)BraveKnight Wrote:  

Football - Checked
Basketball - Checked

Same here, UCF has a stronger presence in Tampa than usf does, we routinely outnumber them in their own stadium. We don’t need to add a bad athletics program that wouldn’t help our money anyways. And we don’t need them as a travel partner, it’s going to be similar to how TCU doesn’t want SMU in the conference.

The travel partner issue is for all the other schools going to Florida for sports other than football and basketball. That might be the only reason today to add South Florida.
05-12-2022 02:21 PM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

(05-12-2022 01:39 PM)cc22 Wrote:  Also, having been to both of Iowa States games at the Liberty Bowl, that stadium needs to be razed.

Ran out of Busch Light and stood in line a while for the pisser, eh? I know that's a deal breaker for most Cyclone fans, but I'm pretty sure they'll take restrooms and concessions into account with the updates.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2022 03:13 PM by CYOWA.)
05-12-2022 03:12 PM
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

Memphis Stepping Up
(05-12-2022 03:12 PM)CYOWA Wrote:  
(05-12-2022 01:39 PM)cc22 Wrote:  Also, having been to both of Iowa States games at the Liberty Bowl, that stadium needs to be razed.

Ran out of Busch Light and stood in line a while for the pisser, eh? I know that's a deal breaker for most Cyclone fans, but I'm pretty sure they'll take restrooms and concessions into account with the updates.

Or they’ll make a cyclones only restroom, separate but equal.

05-12-2022 03:24 PM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

(05-12-2022 03:24 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  

Wow. Deal, ha ha!
05-12-2022 03:34 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

Memphis Stepping Up
(05-12-2022 03:34 PM)CYOWA Wrote:  
(05-12-2022 03:24 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  

Wow. Deal, ha ha!

But you can only pee upside down.

05-12-2022 03:37 PM
UTSA_Alum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
The current Big 12 has a bright future and a clear position as the 3rd best P5 conference. I would consider a flagship out west before I considered Memfizz.
05-12-2022 04:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.