Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scholarship limits in crosshairs
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Scholarship limits in crosshairs
Stewart Mandel
@slmandel
It’s flown off the radar, but the NCAA is moving toward eliminating scholarship limits and allowing unlimited coaches.

Great for avoiding antitrust issues, nightmare for whatever’s left of parity
05-11-2022 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Scholarship limits in crosshairs
That just means a lot more highly talented players will be riding the bench never to be heard from again.
05-11-2022 12:52 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
(05-11-2022 12:52 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  That just means a lot more highly talented players will be riding the bench never to be heard from again.

Stockpiling players on the bench won't work anymore as they will simply transfer.
05-11-2022 12:55 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Title IX is the big limit there. At some point you just can't find enough females who want to be a reserve on the rowing team.
05-11-2022 12:58 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Although BYU has already done away with scholarship limits with their walk-on NIL deal.
05-11-2022 12:58 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-11-2022 12:55 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  
(05-11-2022 12:52 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  That just means a lot more highly talented players will be riding the bench never to be heard from again.

Stockpiling players on the bench won't work anymore as they will simply transfer.

There are lots of major, unprecedented moving parts in college athletics right now. We've never seen any time like it.

It will be interesting to see who the exceptional winners and losers will be, who navigates the turbulence and who crashes on the rocks.
05-11-2022 12:59 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Athletic scholarship limits would have been struck down by a court eventually.

Compare it to scholarships for students who are not varsity athletes. If 1000 of the most selective universities made an agreement with each other that none of them would award more than 85 scholarships on academic merit, that agreement would be a juicy target for a lawsuit. So are the NCAA limits on athletic scholarships.
05-11-2022 01:07 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(05-11-2022 01:07 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Athletic scholarship limits would have been struck down by a court eventually.

Compare it to scholarships for students who are not varsity athletes. If 1000 of the most selective universities made an agreement with each other that none of them would award more than 85 scholarships on academic merit, that agreement would be a juicy target for a lawsuit. So are the NCAA limits on athletic scholarships.

Interesting point, but there is not a use for a bunch of players who don't play. I don't see that ever getting thrown out by a court. The biggest risk to the scholarship limits is Title IX. The NCAA limits scholarships in men's sports to fewer than in the comparable woman's sport. Its a clear case of sexual discrimination.
05-11-2022 01:12 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-11-2022 12:55 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  

This is a good point.
05-11-2022 01:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-11-2022 01:07 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Athletic scholarship limits would have been struck down by a court eventually.

Another good point.
05-11-2022 01:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(05-11-2022 01:12 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Interesting point, but there is not a use for a bunch of players who don't play. I don't see that ever getting thrown out by a court. The biggest risk to the scholarship limits is Title IX. The NCAA limits scholarships in men's sports to fewer than in the comparable woman's sport. Its a clear case of sexual discrimination.

Title IX doesn't care what sport anyone plays, it just looks at any athletic scholarship as an "educational opportunity" and requires that educational opportunities be equivalent.

I have *zero* sympathy for universities on this point. They freely chose to further link athletics to education by using scholarships as an incentive to get athletes to play for their teams. If there were no athletic scholarships or easier routes to university admission for varsity athletes, if every student-athlete was actually treated the same way as every student who is not a varsity athlete, the athletic departments would have nothing to complain about.

Any Title IX dilemma that major-college-sports programs think they have is entirely of their own making. "As you sow, so shall you reap" or "You made your bed, now lie in it" or whatever other cliche you want to use.
05-11-2022 01:22 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-11-2022 12:58 PM)bullet Wrote:  Title IX is the big limit there. At some point you just can't find enough females who want to be a reserve on the rowing team.

Heh - I don't know. I agree that Title IX is a practical limit, but you'd be surprised by the demand if it means a scholarship and/or admission to a top university. Look at the Operation Varsity Blues scandal and the rowing coaches involved.
05-11-2022 01:23 PM
MattBrownEP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: newsletter subscriptions
They're not talking about football scholarship limits. They're talking about this for the partial scholarship sports.
05-11-2022 01:25 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-11-2022 01:25 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  They're not talking about football scholarship limits. They're talking about this for the partial scholarship sports.

Yes, I recall someone connected to the SEC (can't remember if it was Sankey or an AD) essentially stating that they should be able to provide scholarships to the entire rosters of their softball, baseball and other teams if they wanted to do so. On that front, I agree. The scholarship limits would be deemed to be artificial anti-competitive restrictions in any other context. In contrast, roster limits for actual competition are a different matter.
05-11-2022 01:29 PM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Wouldn't/Couldn't they just replace scholarship limits with roster limits. If the goal is to keep times from stockpiling players a roster limit would serve the same purpose.
05-11-2022 01:33 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(05-11-2022 01:25 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  They're not talking about football scholarship limits. They're talking about this for the partial scholarship sports.

P5 coaches have talked about football scholarship limits in recent years. I've heard ADs talking about the partial scholarship sports.
05-11-2022 02:49 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW

Well, the way the NCAA is heading, there will be no more women’s sports anyway so the Title IX issue won’t be a factor anymore.
05-13-2022 06:55 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
At a certain point you have enough money that additional revenue just creates diminishing returns, but something like this could really raise that ceiling. I doubt the Pac and ACC will go for this.
05-13-2022 08:22 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn

That's not the NCAA. It's needing to have a ratio of scholarships in line with enrollment to meet Title IX. Most schools have 55-60% female students these days.
05-13-2022 09:25 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

Isn't Title IX a clear case of sexual discrimination?
05-13-2022 09:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.