Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Whale Boosters
Bookmark and Share
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

I Root For: William & Mary
Big Whale Boosters
Cmon now...Maybe we should pull a Duke or Harvard and just give him naming rights to WM. All of our financial woes can end...

Chelsea is the #25 most valuable sports franchise, period.
Same value as the Celtics.

WSJ.COM
Dodgers Part-Owner Todd Boehly to Enter Exclusive Talks in Chelsea FC Soccer Club Sale
A group led by Los Angeles Dodgers part-owner Todd Boehly is set to enter exclusive talks in the bidding war to acquire Chelsea F.C. from Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, according to people familiar with the matter.
04-29-2022 09:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TDenverFan Offline
All American

RE: Big Whale Boosters
Boehly is also in the conversation to buy the Broncos
04-29-2022 09:27 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

Big Whale Boosters
One doesn't get that rich throwing good money at investments with poor returns.

That said, he could probably fully fund every program @ W&M with the money found in his couch cushions.
04-29-2022 09:41 AM
Old tribe Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-29-2022 09:41 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  One doesn't get that rich throwing good money at investments with poor returns.

That said, he could probably fully fund every program @ W&M with the money found in his couch cushions.

And need to get him on board with the W&M NIL collective.
04-29-2022 10:02 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Well, he did give a bunch for the Kaplan project......
04-29-2022 10:10 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

(04-29-2022 10:10 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Well, he did give a bunch for the Kaplan project......
We are talking donating the type of money that would change the name of the school to "The College of William & Mary & Todd"

Lol
04-29-2022 10:35 AM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

Big Whale Boosters
$$,$$$,$$$,$$$.$$
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2022 03:58 PM by Tribal.)
04-29-2022 10:48 AM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

Big Whale Boosters
Anybody on this board from the class of ‘96?

Daddy needs a MBB program!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-29-2022 02:37 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

While Todd's group is still the leading the way , British Billionaire, Jim Ratcliffe did throw out a last minute 5.3 Billion dollar offer for the Chelsea franchise today.

This is a level of finance of which I am NOT, in ANY way, familiar...

04-bow
04-29-2022 03:23 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

05-06-2022 09:25 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(05-06-2022 09:25 PM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  Boehly gets Chelsea FC.

https://www.espnfc.com/chelsea-engchelse...er-chelsea

This HAS to somehow be parlayed into a better WM sports future.
05-07-2022 08:55 AM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

(05-07-2022 08:55 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  
(05-06-2022 09:25 PM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  Boehly gets Chelsea FC.

https://www.espnfc.com/chelsea-engchelse...er-chelsea

This HAS to somehow be parlayed into a better WM sports future.
Chelsea coming to the CAA?
05-07-2022 11:43 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

The guy has billions and is part owner of two of the worlds premier professional sports franchises. With his connections, he could help leverage better corporate sponsorship, advertising and media deals for Tribe teams. With NIL, we should easily be able to give a decent deal to top mid major prospects and park them on Tribe teams, knowing that the owner is watching and theyve got a chance to get picked up into the system down the road or concurrently. His connections are just as valuable as his donations...but both would be even better!

Gift 100 Million to athletics and Id take a name change: "Boehly Campus" at The College of William & Mary. Ill even cheer on the WM Flyin' Boehly's if theyre a winner.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2022 12:40 PM by nogretheogre.)
05-07-2022 12:35 PM
Tribester Offline
Banned

I Root For: W&M
Honestly he could fund the remainder of the Kaplan project with the loose change under his couch cushions. Get it done Todd!
05-07-2022 04:44 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Chelsea to Boehly et al is offiical. He isnt majority shareholder, but will be the face of the ownership. He owns 20% stake in The Dodgers.
05-28-2022 09:11 AM
DSL Offline
2nd String

It doesn't appear our donors are "all in."

We can't even cover our operating costs for the year. We can't raise a modest one million for football and 400k for basketball. The unfortunate events in the athletic department are no excuse for our alumni to let the programs erode.
I didn't like the 20% increase in my football season tickets, but everybody needs to share the cost of Tribe greatness.

Mann says:
"We have a lot of ground to make up in the five weeks until the close of our fiscal year on June 30.  Our Athletics’ FY22 fundraising goal is $5.2 million.  The  total amount raised as of earlier this week is $4.5 million. "
05-28-2022 12:53 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
“The unfortunate events in the athletic department are no excuse for our alumni to let the programs erode. “

Don’t be tone deaf.

For a portion of our alumni base, the country is in real trouble, and college sports is not a high priority.

For a portion of our alumni base, the economy is in real trouble, and college sports is not a high priority.

For a portion of our alumni base, academia in general is in real trouble, and feeding the beast is no longer being blindly done.

For a portion of our alumni base, the current emphasis on wokeism, diversity, and equity in academia has negatively impacted hiring, retention, and quality of instruction, and blind allegiance to alma mater is just not going to happen any more.

For a portion of our alumni base, college sports on the D-1 level is in real trouble, and feeding the beast is no longer being blindly done.

W&M has shown ZERO initiative to get out in front of any of these issues.

If the programs erode, that is on the school, and the current “system”, and not the alumni.

Look, Purdue is having real issues recruiting in this new NIL world, and they belong to the rich Big Ten. The SEC area is having a field day; we can’t compete with that, and a portion of our alumni base knows it.

C’mon W&M … wake the hell up … and lead like-minded schools into calmer waters!!!
05-28-2022 02:15 PM
Florida tribe fan Offline
Special Teams

(05-28-2022 02:15 PM)nj alum Wrote:  “The unfortunate events in the athletic department are no excuse for our alumni to let the programs erode. “

Don’t be tone deaf.

For a portion of our alumni base, the country is in real trouble, and college sports is not a high priority.

For a portion of our alumni base, the economy is in real trouble, and college sports is not a high priority.

For a portion of our alumni base, academia in general is in real trouble, and feeding the beast is no longer being blindly done.

For a portion of our alumni base, the current emphasis on wokeism, diversity, and equity in academia has negatively impacted hiring, retention, and quality of instruction, and blind allegiance to alma mater is just not going to happen any more.

For a portion of our alumni base, college sports on the D-1 level is in real trouble, and feeding the beast is no longer being blindly done.

W&M has shown ZERO initiative to get out in front of any of these issues.

If the programs erode, that is on the school, and the current “system”, and not the alumni.

Look, Purdue is having real issues recruiting in this new NIL world, and they belong to the rich Big Ten. The SEC area is having a field day; we can’t compete with that, and a portion of our alumni base knows it.

C’mon W&M … wake the hell up … and lead like-minded schools into calmer waters!!!

What you suggest reminds me of something...along the lines of:

"There is a boldness that comes when we decide to go all in. It is the resolve to dig deeper and push further. Where a single action can change the game. And a pivotal moment can change everything.

At William & Mary, we meet adversity with perseverance and seize opportunity. When we rise together, we are stronger. And our possibilities are unlimited. Our future will be defined by what we do today. And today, as one Tribe united, we are All In."

The diverging paths of college athletics, one that is an educational model and another that is decidedly less non-profit, should make for a relatively simple donor survey. If Wm & Mary were to embrace and take a leadership role in moving institutions toward the educational model, would you be inclined to donate more or less?
05-28-2022 04:42 PM
DSL Offline
2nd String

NJ Alum makes lots of good points.
Many of our alumni and former supporters are disillusioned with the
academic and athletic sides of the university. It's hard to donate from your limited
resources when you can't fully embrace the school's direction.
05-28-2022 04:56 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Some of the older folks on this board went to a great college that had competitive sports, but the academics were not the huge emphasis we have now. Go look at how many kids went to college in the 50s, 60s, 70s, compared to today. The pie got real big, but our piece of the pie got much smaller and we keep being more and more selective. The sheer number of students at the big state schools (Alabama, Georgia, etc.) have fueled a furnace for their sports teams and the big boosters give plenty. W&M has continued to focus on academics and keep the student population small. There are almost zero peer school examples (state school, liberal arts, small enrollment, high academics, D1 athletics). Rowe is pushing the right buttons IMO for moving to a larger and more progressive model, but I don't think any of that will make much of a differnence in the short term.

If Boehley gives us a billion dollars to the college (not sports only) , I'm not sure the current regime could even figure out how to leverage it properly. Boehley knows that too.
05-28-2022 05:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.