Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

O/T How should athletes train? Cross Train?
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
O/T How should athletes train? Cross Train?
Bally Sports has an interview with Wayne Gretsky.

The discussion was about playing multiple sports vs. doing say hockey 12 months a year.

Said he got a lot out of box lacrosse (taught him to avoid checks) but most importantly was track and field for cardio.

I was a long distance runner for 3 decades so I obviously think running is a good sport and a good-for-my-health sport.

However, I think Gretsky and agree is that track really help conditioning and cardio.

I still don't know why more athletes don't do distance running. For many athletes, especially out of season, maybe run 5k 3 times a week.

Just the ability to run say 2 miles in 12 minutes. That athlete will be in very good shape on the playing field. Maybe a little less weight training and more distance running in a program which combines both distance and sprinting.

Track speed (different than long distance endurance cardio) was part of what EMU MBB did with Boykins, Dial, etc.

When I was in my 40s, I had a resting heart rate of 50 on an EKG. This is seen in serious marathon runners.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2022 10:57 AM by emu steve.)
04-24-2022 10:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
RE: O/T How should athletes train? Cross Train?
(04-24-2022 10:43 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Bally Sports has an interview with Wayne Gretsky.

The discussion was about playing multiple sports vs. doing say hockey 12 months a year.

Said he got a lot out of box lacrosse (taught him to avoid checks) but most importantly was track and field for cardio.

I was a long distance runner for 3 decades so I obviously think running is a good sport and a good-for-my-health sport.

However, I think Gretsky and agree is that track really help conditioning and cardio.

I still don't know why more athletes don't do distance running. For many athletes, especially out of season, maybe run 5k 3 times a week.

Just the ability to run say 2 miles in 12 minutes. That athlete will be in very good shape on the playing field. Maybe a little less weight training and more distance running in a program which combines both distance and sprinting.

Track speed (different than long distance endurance cardio) was part of what EMU MBB did with Boykins, Dial, etc.

When I was in my 40s, I had a resting heart rate of 50 on an EKG. This is seen in serious marathon runners.

I'd have to imagine that can be explained by a few articles about the difference between fast twitch and slow twitch muscles.

Most of the guys I can remember from the last 20 years or so that were prolific track athletes and high-level football players were sprinters. The Ted Ginn Jr.-type guys. If I remember correctly from my Gretzky reading growing up he was a middle-distance guy (the 800 was his race, I think).

I choose to trust that the strength and conditioning coaches know what they're doing.
04-24-2022 12:37 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-24-2022 12:37 PM)truEMU07 Wrote:  
(04-24-2022 10:43 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Bally Sports has an interview with Wayne Gretsky.

I'd have to imagine that can be explained by a few articles about the difference between fast twitch and slow twitch muscles.

Most of the guys I can remember from the last 20 years or so that were prolific track athletes and high-level football players were sprinters. The Ted Ginn Jr.-type guys. If I remember correctly from my Gretzky reading growing up he was a middle-distance guy (the 800 was his race, I think).

I choose to trust that the strength and conditioning coaches know what they're doing.

Interesting thoughts.

First there are different sports (MBB, FB, etc.) and within sports different positions (e.g. OL and DL vs everything else).

With OL and DL maybe have they run say miles to create some endurance even though they are basically 10-yard athletes.

RB, WR, DBs, etc. can be trained more like longer distance runners (say 2 or 3 miles).

Everyone needs endurance and more endurance, even for say tennis players is a good thing.

My guess is still endurance training is good for fast twitch and slow twitch althetes.

I still maintain S&C training for linemen could be wrong because endurance isn't for 10 or 20 yards only.

As far as running, it became the think in the later part of the 20th century to take 10k runners (that's considered short for long distance running) and stretch them into marathon runners. They actually did better than the long haul marathon runners.

I think EMU had some 10K runners who because world class marathoners.
04-24-2022 04:36 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I heard an interview today from an MLB GM. He is convinced that the prevalence of soccer and its requirement of quick footwork has spawned the Latin American proliferation of middle infielders in Major League baseball.
04-24-2022 05:19 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-24-2022 05:19 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  I heard an interview today from an MLB GM. He is convinced that the prevalence of soccer and its requirement of quick footwork has spawned the Latin American proliferation of middle infielders in Major League baseball.

make sense AND the best athletes in D.R. etc. are made into shortstops because that is where the $ is.

Oops, D.R. = Dominican Republic.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2022 06:51 PM by emu steve.)
04-24-2022 06:50 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

Dad, have any thoughts?
04-26-2022 01:10 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

04-28-2022 11:38 PM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(04-28-2022 11:38 PM)emu steve Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/...R1QSYjHobg

I'm not sure this fact is making your point as much as you think it is. Every single one I could find was either 1) a sprinter or 2) a thrower.

From what I've been able to find, even Ikem Ekwonu (OT - NC State) was a sprinter.

Training differently for different sports (basketabll - track - football) happens and absolutely makes people a better athlete.

However, in none of the instances that I could find, these guys aren't training as endurance athletes.
04-29-2022 09:30 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-29-2022 09:30 AM)truEMU07 Wrote:  
(04-28-2022 11:38 PM)emu steve Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/...R1QSYjHobg

I'm not sure this fact is making your point as much as you think it is. Every single one I could find was either 1) a sprinter or 2) a thrower.

From what I've been able to find, even Ikem Ekwonu (OT - NC State) was a sprinter.

Training differently for different sports (basketabll - track - football) happens and absolutely makes people a better athlete.

However, in none of the instances that I could find, these guys aren't training as endurance athletes.

I just tossed it out. Not meant to support any point.
04-29-2022 11:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.