Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Iowa State leaving AAU
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
Iowa State leaving AAU
Iowa State announces they are leaving AAU. They cite their lack of a medical school and the increasing impact of medical research on AAU rankings.

https://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2022/04/21/aau
04-21-2022 02:06 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
RE: Iowa State leaving AAU
This signifies they are in the Big 12 for the long haul.
04-21-2022 02:13 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Yeah, there goes ANY hope of a B1G invite
04-21-2022 02:15 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
This will save Frank the Tank from many "Iowa St being AAU doesn't change the fact they're a non-starter for the Big Ten with a school already in that low population state" posts.
04-21-2022 02:18 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
04-21-2022 02:19 PM
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Perhaps the University of South Florida can soon "replace" Iowa State.
04-21-2022 02:22 PM
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Online
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Tulane inches their way closer to a Big 10 invite.
04-21-2022 02:23 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(04-21-2022 02:22 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Perhaps the University of South Florida can soon "replace" Iowa State.

I'd like to see Connecticut or Florida State get the upgrade.
04-21-2022 02:27 PM
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
(04-21-2022 02:22 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Perhaps the University of South Florida can soon "replace" Iowa State.

Fingers crossed. 04-cheers
04-21-2022 02:27 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
These transitions out don’t just happen. There are years of internal discussions and pressures applied. Some folks talk about the B1G…heck, wasn’t it some PAC folks who were mocking ISU indirectly some time back? It wouldn’t surprise me if those snobs out west blew it again turning down ISU if they approached the PAC, and the PAC then dismisses them as “not matching the cultural profile.”
04-21-2022 02:32 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
That would potentially open a possibility for another invite not too long after. Off the top of my head I could see these being considered:

Miami (FL)
Virginia Tech
Arizona State
North Carolina State
Georgia
South Florida

I don't follow academia that closely, though. My guess is the next invite would come from the South, as there aren't any serious candidates in the West or North, other than ASU. I also think the chances of Nebraska getting back in got even slimmer.

I do wonder if the likes of Brandeis, Missouri, Oregon or Kansas are watching their backs right now.
04-21-2022 02:34 PM
Advertisement

shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(04-21-2022 02:27 PM)schmolik Wrote:  

I'd like to see Connecticut or Florida State get the upgrade.

I hope so.
04-21-2022 02:35 PM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(04-21-2022 02:06 PM)johnintx Wrote:  Iowa State announces they are leaving AAU. They cite their lack of a medical school and the increasing impact of medical research on AAU rankings.

https://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2022/04/21/aau

More like leaving before getting kicked out
04-21-2022 02:36 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
For what it's worth, the only AAU-eligible university in the ARWU top 150 that is not already in AAU is Arizona State. Same is true for the THE research university ranking -- every US AAU-eligible university in their top 150 other than Arizona State is already in AAU.
04-21-2022 02:40 PM
CatsClaw1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
Cincinnati is also one of the schools next in line
04-21-2022 03:02 PM
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
(04-21-2022 02:40 PM)Wedge Wrote:  For what it's worth, the only AAU-eligible university in the ARWU top 150 that is not already in AAU is Arizona State. Same is true for the THE research university ranking -- every US AAU-eligible university in their top 150 other than Arizona State is already in AAU.

University of South Florida Overview

See where this school lands in our other rankings to get a bigger picture of the institution's offerings.

#103 in National Universities (tie)

#62 in Best Colleges for Veterans (tie)

#61 in Best Value Schools

#46 in Most Innovative Schools (tie)

#24 in Top Performers on Social Mobility (tie)

#46 in Top Public Schools (tie)

#114 in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs (tie)
At schools whose highest degree is a doctorate.

And:

AMERICA’S FASTEST-RISING UNIVERSITY - usf.edu
University Ranking Times Higher Education (THE), 2022 #33 among public U.S. institutions Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), 2021 #43 among public institutions in the National University Ranking Washington Monthly, 2021 #1 among Florida Public Universities & #8 among all U.S Universities Best Universities for Reducing Inequalities

Just for you Wedge. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2022 05:09 PM by BCSvsBS.)
04-21-2022 03:06 PM
Advertisement

jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
(04-21-2022 02:34 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  That would potentially open a possibility for another invite not too long after. Off the top of my head I could see these being considered:

Miami (FL)
Virginia Tech
Arizona State
North Carolina State
Georgia
South Florida

I don't follow academia that closely, though. My guess is the next invite would come from the South, as there aren't any serious candidates in the West or North, other than ASU. I also think the chances of Nebraska getting back in got even slimmer.

I do wonder if the likes of Brandeis, Missouri, Oregon or Kansas are watching their backs right now.
It’s funny that the only league with an established promotion/relegation system is AAU.
04-21-2022 03:10 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(04-21-2022 03:10 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  
(04-21-2022 02:34 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  That would potentially open a possibility for another invite not too long after. Off the top of my head I could see these being considered:

Miami (FL)
Virginia Tech
Arizona State
North Carolina State
Georgia
South Florida

It’s funny that the only league with an established promotion/relegation system is AAU.

It’s selective, though. Nebraska spotlighted the fact that Princeton, metrically, didn’t exactly measure up in some key areas, but, yeah, good luck pushing them out. Princeton sold its health system to Penn only a few years ago, too, so I wonder what those numbers would look like now.

I think the likes of Missouri and Kansas, who were heavy ag-sci schools like Nebraska and Iowa State should be more concerned than Brandeis or Rice, but all four, and others, should not be made to feel safe.
04-21-2022 03:16 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-21-2022 02:18 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  This will save Frank the Tank from many "Iowa St being AAU doesn't change the fact they're a non-starter for the Big Ten with a school already in that low population state" posts.

No joke - I stated this in my Big Ten Expansion Index post way back in 2009 (still the most widely read post on my blog). I couldn't believe that I still have had to say this all of these years later.
04-21-2022 03:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(04-21-2022 03:16 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  I think the likes of Missouri and Kansas, who were heavy ag-sci schools like Nebraska and Iowa State should be more concerned than Brandeis or Rice, but all four, and others, should not be made to feel safe.

Unlike Missouri, Nebraska, and Iowa State, Kansas is not a land-grant, and has relatively little agricultural research compared to the other three. Kansas State is the land-grant school for Kansas.

KU's medical school and related hospital is in Kansas City. I'm not sure how it's governed in relation to the main campus in Lawrence. One of the metrics that got Nebraska kicked out of AAU was medical research done at the medical school in Omaha, which was not counted in statistics for the Lincoln campus due to the way the medical school is governed.

Nonetheless, I understand KU is at the bottom of the AAU list, and they are probably in danger of losing that status.
04-21-2022 03:33 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.