Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIL Deals
Bookmark and Share
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
NIL Deals
This topic is on the main MAC board and I thought it would be interesting to start a thread to discuss the NIL. Is it going to end mid major chances of keeping some of the diamonds in the rough?

Look what Kansas University has done:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiZWh...id=US%3Aen
04-19-2022 08:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
RE: NIL Deals
(04-19-2022 08:37 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  This topic is on the main MAC board and I thought it would be interesting to start a thread to discuss the NIL. Is it going to end mid major chances of keeping some of the diamonds in the rough?

Look what Kansas University has done:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiZWh...id=US%3Aen

NIL rights encourage schools to become better partners with the communities in which they reside. I see NIL rights as a total net positive.

Mid majors may lose their elite players to bigger programs - but mid majors can take players from lower schools. it all evens out.
04-20-2022 06:58 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
I still say the biggest problem is:

The current athletic scholarship + COA model treats the star QB and the 2nd string center the same.

NIL is a professional type model with gross inequalities.

NIL needs to be adapted for college sports.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2022 07:26 AM by emu steve.)
04-20-2022 07:19 AM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

It all depends on what space the student-athlete is trying to get involved in.

Yes, the football team/star QB/whatever are going to get the big looks from local places, as has always been the thought.

BUT... the student-athlete with the large youtube channel or tiktok (or whatever the hell is popular and paying "influencers") get to profit off that where they weren't able to before.

I think a few years ago there was a kicker from Florida or Florida State that had to shut down his own YouTube even though it had a huge following because he couldn't make money off it. I also see articles about how some of the leading influencer-type NIL deals are going to female student-athletes that are far less visible on campus as far as their actual sport goes, but far more visible on Instagram.

It's a huge can of worms.

IMO, Eastern is in a far better position than some of our counterparts because of the existence of GA. I know it was joked about because Charlie offered a kid that was absolutely not considering EMU a million dollars or whatever, BUT! I haven't heard of any of the other MAC schools even having a conglomerate like that putting them in our situation.

For instance, if Stan truly thinks Emoni Bates would come here, I'm sure a phone call to GA would at least help get a monetary offer on the table. That is a huge IF, i know. BUT I don't know that I've heard of any other MAC schools having something like GA that even make it possible for them.
04-20-2022 08:06 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

True, and the problem as I've posted before is simple, student-athletes went to court, won victories, found allies in Congress, state houses, and drum roll for Jerry... Mark Emmert and the NCAA can't figure it out.

Now the NCAA wants Congress to figure it out. Good luck on that. And this is messy:

If EMU puts the photo of our QB on the front cover of a program is it profiting off of him? Or is EMU just doing what organizations do when they publicize their members? I have (somewhere) a slew of EMU media guides from years past. Those have retail value. Does anyone on front or back have the right to say, "I'm entitled to say $1k because I'm on the front cover?" Did the player sign those rights away when he accepted an athletic scholarship?

If the QB uses photos of himelf in an EMU jersey is he profiting off of EMU?

Do law schools need a series of course in trademarks, likeness, etc. etc. as applied to athletics, with new coursework on collegiate athletics???
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2022 08:35 AM by emu steve.)
04-20-2022 08:32 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(04-20-2022 08:32 AM)emu steve Wrote:  True, and the problem as I've posted before is simple, student-athletes went to court, won victories, found allies in Congress, state houses, and drum roll for Jerry... Mark Emmert and the NCAA can't figure it out.

Now the NCAA wants Congress to figure it out. Good luck on that. And this is messy:

If EMU puts the photo of our QB on the front cover of a program is it profiting off of him? Or is EMU just doing what organizations do when they publicize their members? I have (somewhere) a slew of EMU media guides from years past. Those have retail value. Does anyone on front or back have the right to say, "I'm entitled to say $1k because I'm on the front cover?" Did the player sign those rights away when he accepted an athletic scholarship?

Do law schools need a series of course in trademarks, likeness, etc. etc. as applied to athletics, with new coursework on collegiate athletics???

Mark Emmert's disorganization is no reason to deny thousands of men and women the basic civil right to make money for the name, image, and likeness.

If I'm being truly honest - I dont think there is a better way to learn business than turning yourself into one - and i say that from my experience as a comedian. It really is a crash course in entrepreneurship - one that I think will have fantastic outcomes for the participants.
04-20-2022 08:54 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-20-2022 08:54 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 08:32 AM)emu steve Wrote:  True, and the problem as I've posted before is simple, student-athletes went to court, won victories, found allies in Congress, state houses, and drum roll for Jerry... Mark Emmert and the NCAA can't figure it out.

Mark Emmert's disorganization is no reason to deny thousands of men and women the basic civil right to make money for the name, image, and likeness.

If I'm being truly honest - I dont think there is a better way to learn business than turning yourself into one - and i say that from my experience as a comedian. It really is a crash course in entrepreneurship - one that I think will have fantastic outcomes for the participants.

There has to be rules. Time for the NCAA and Congress to make realistic rules. We do not live in the days of the Wild West where 'anything goes.'
04-20-2022 09:52 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(04-20-2022 09:52 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

There has to be rules. Time for the NCAA and Congress to make realistic rules. We do not live in the days of the Wild West where 'anything goes.'

Dan continues to make an extremely compelling argument, which I think has finally convinced me. A HS grad is free to pursue any professional career he or she wishes. Of course, becoming a medical professional requires one to complete certain academic and clinical achievements. Someone also can choose to sell wireless phones immediately and receive wages for such. A talented HS quarterback, however, must wait three years to be eligible for the NFL. No standards of accomplishments during such time. The only professional career path available for said QB is the NFL and they simply demand that he be three years out of high school. One could make the case for age discrimination as why would an 18 year old be any less qualified than a 21 year old? The three year requirement is a thinly veiled effort by the NFL to push said QB into their free "minor league" called the NCAA where his progress can be evaluated, making their draft process a much less complicated situation. Thus, I can no longer justify NOT compensating a NCAA football player for those three years given the current state of affairs.

All of that stated, Steve nailed it, "Feckless Mark" needs to step down. After all he stated that college athletes would NEVER be paid on his watch, but $3M a year can cause any less than effective NCAA administrator to waiver on such a statement.

We now have chaos. I believe the root cause is the NFL. Nevertheless, we have what we have, and a structure and rules are desperately needed as Steve alluded to. If you want an example of a sport that went through a term of blind leadership, look no further than professional boxing. Remember Ali, Frazier, Holmes Leonard, Hollyfield, Duran, I could go on and on? Don King and Bob Arum took over the leadership less sport for their own personal gains and can anyone of name an active boxer now? Sports just like any other organization needs a structure and clearly defined rules.
04-20-2022 05:57 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Ok Dan

If I start a comedian thread could you give us some one liners? Do you still perform?
04-20-2022 06:09 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(04-20-2022 06:09 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  

Ok Dan

If I start a comedian thread could you give us some one liners? Do you still perform?

Yeah i mostly work around south eastern michigan and some ohio and windsor
04-21-2022 08:04 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(04-21-2022 08:04 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  

Ok Dan

I love comedy sets in general. But a comedy set by an EMU fan would make me even more interested. Could you post some upcoming shows in case anyone can go check it out… be forewarned, I plan to heckle you about your views on NIL (kidding, of course. I am not Will Smith)
04-21-2022 09:22 AM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

(04-21-2022 09:22 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

Ok Dan

I love comedy sets in general. But a comedy set by an EMU fan would make me even more interested. Could you post some upcoming shows in case anyone can go check it out… be forewarned, I plan to heckle you about your views on NIL (kidding, of course. I am not Will Smith)

https://www.facebook.com/dansplainingcomedy
04-21-2022 09:26 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(04-21-2022 09:26 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 08:54 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  Mark Emmert's disorganization is no reason to deny thousands of men and women the basic civil right to make money for the name, image, and likeness.

Ok Dan

Dan,

I have a joke you can use (just thank me later):

Q: What songs do software engineers hum?
04-21-2022 10:54 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(04-21-2022 10:54 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 06:09 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Ok Dan

Dan,

Kraftwerk?
04-21-2022 11:22 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(04-21-2022 11:22 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(04-21-2022 10:54 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(04-21-2022 08:04 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  Yeah i mostly work around south eastern michigan and some ohio and windsor

Dan,

Kraftwerk?

algorithms LOL
04-21-2022 11:29 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(04-20-2022 08:54 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  Mark Emmert's disorganization is no reason to deny thousands of men and women the basic civil right to make money for the name, image, and likeness.

Ok Dan

Perfect! Got it saved!
04-21-2022 08:48 PM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

At some point, players will be earning more than coaches. The NIL is going to spiral out of control as the rich alumni from the P5 schools have started the bidding wars for players.
Oklahoma alumni to pay football players $40-$50k per season. This will also be interesting to see how the Title IX supporters react when the women/men are paid $0 or in disparity compared to football or bad players that generate more revenue.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMibWh...id=US%3Aen
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2022 09:22 AM by Luckeyone.)
04-23-2022 09:19 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(04-23-2022 09:19 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  At some point, players will be earning more than coaches. The NIL is going to spiral out of control as the rich alumni from the P5 schools have started the bidding wars for players.
Oklahoma alumni to pay football players $40-$50k per season. This will also be interesting to see how the Title IX supporters react when the women/men are paid $0 or in disparity compared to football or bad players that generate more revenue.

I'd like to see another major sport where players make less than the coaches.

NIL rights have actually been a boon to women's sports as the players are now allowed to cash in on their NIL rights. a lot of them are basically models now. or so ive been told.
04-23-2022 09:58 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(04-23-2022 09:19 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  At some point, players will be earning more than coaches. The NIL is going to spiral out of control as the rich alumni from the P5 schools have started the bidding wars for players.

Great point about Title IX! These payments, however, are allegedly beyond university control and thus the government may have no standing in a court case. Nevertheless, you present an outstanding point.

The NCAA lost the court case and clearly had no contingency plan in the event that they did so. Let me put on my "shocked face".

1Oklahoma is the first shot in what is most likely to be a huge war. My first inclination is to believe that the Sooners may be shooting a BB gun now and will be surprised when more affluent alumni schools will obliterate them with far more powerful munitions. The "arms race" is just beginning.

I do like the fact that Barry said EVERY Oklahoma player can earn $50K/year in salary. Matt Ishiba did something similar with the MSU basketball program. Let's all join hands and sing Kumbaya about EVERYONE getting paid. I suspect, however, that practice will be very short-lived as the alumni will realize their money will produce far better returns on a great QB, DE, LB than a benchwarmer. Bryce Young and CJ Stroud will suddenly command the lion's share of the money, it is simply a natural progression, much like Aaron Rogers in Green Bay.
04-23-2022 05:21 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(04-23-2022 09:58 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  

I'd like to see another major sport where players make less than the coaches.

NIL rights have actually been a boon to women's sports as the players are now allowed to cash in on their NIL rights. a lot of them are basically models now. or so ive been told.

Hey, I don't doubt it. Page Spiranic was a mediocre college golfer, never made it to the LPGA. She, however, is beautiful and cashed it on that rather than her athletic abilities.
04-23-2022 05:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.