Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMUFB Spring game
Bookmark and Share
Deez Nuts Offline

I Root For: Dukes
Exclamation JMUFB Spring game
Who's venturing to the spring game this weekend? Sunny, 78 degrees, and i predict the Dukes crush. Free admission, kickoff at 1p, parking/tailgating in F, P, & G lots.

https://jmusports.com/news/2022/2/23/foo...il-23.aspx
04-19-2022 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: JMUFB Spring game
I'm in this year. Curious to see how Centeio and other new players look on the field.

Anyone keep track of which expected active players will be there vs joining later this summer or sitting out for recovery, etc?
04-19-2022 03:45 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
Going to ride the Goldwing over the hill!
04-21-2022 03:11 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

Are there any plans of streaming the game online? Perhaps a return to MadiZONE?
It would be a great way to get more fans involved (potential ticket sales).
04-21-2022 03:51 PM
jmu007 Offline
1st String

(04-21-2022 03:11 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Going to ride the Goldwing over the hill!

Yurys and I are taking Alex. We’ll give you a buzz.
04-21-2022 07:40 PM
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

(04-21-2022 03:51 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  Are there any plans of streaming the game online? Perhaps a return to MadiZONE?

Not sure but I would guess the Flo contract still prevents this from happening, but fingers crossed with the ESPN affiliation coming SO soon that streaming will be an option next year.
04-22-2022 08:32 AM
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(04-22-2022 08:32 AM)JMUTrippster Wrote:  
(04-21-2022 03:51 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  Are there any plans of streaming the game online? Perhaps a return to MadiZONE?

Not sure but I would guess the Flo contract still prevents this from happening, but fingers crossed with the ESPN affiliation coming SO soon that streaming will be an option next year.

If we are still binded by Flo, then Flo needs to stream it. They might as well take advantage of us while they still have the chance.

I generally don't have a ton of interest in the Spring game, but this is one I really wish I could attend.
I look forward to hearing about it from those of you that will be there. Looking to be a fantastic weather day.
04-22-2022 08:42 AM
olddawg Offline
Heisman

I too am excited for the Spring Game. It would be nice to see some separation of the QBs. A little surprised its only 30 minutes though.
04-22-2022 09:17 AM
dirtdog85 Offline
Water Engineer

Today will be not great in terms of seeing what the team will look like in the fall unless it's just looking at guys in shorts and t-shirts on the sidelines. Some transfers and freshmen, and some players playing out of position due to injuries. There are lots of injuries and players recovering from injuries going on. When in doubt, sit them out.

I'm not sure we will finish today with much knowledge about what the team will be - think in terms of the old NFL 4th pre-season game. It should be interesting watching the quarterbacks, but they will neither be protected by nor rushed by many of the players you will see in the fall.
04-23-2022 05:31 AM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
(04-22-2022 09:17 AM)olddawg Wrote:  I too am excited for the Spring Game. It would be nice to see some separation of the QBs. A little surprised its only 30 minutes though.
HCCC said the reason for only 30 minutes is that they have so many injuries and guys not participating in Spring Practice. Stated that the team we see today will not resemble the team we see in the fall.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
04-23-2022 08:50 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

Always wondered if it’s a good idea to keep veterans out of spring practice, injury or not, to keep them away from the portal.

Do we really need to see what Dorsey, Thornton, McCormick, et al, are going to bring to the table?

But if by chance they do practice, and they can see the writing on the wall and where they lose there spot in the spring to some hotshot up and comer or transfer, they could be unhappy and tempted to hit the portal. And then there goes your roster depth…
04-23-2022 01:42 PM
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Heisman

Really nice crowd today. Possibly a combination of not having a Spring game since 2019 and the move to the SBC.

Percy looked 100% today. The Colo. St. transfer looked a bit better at QB than Akins. All 3 QBs have live arms. If the season started today I’d guess the transfer gets the nod at QB.

Otherwise not much to report. Defense looked good, and the WRs dropped too many passes or ran lousy routes, but the anticipated starters (for the most part) weren’t playing.

Update Edit: I forgot to add there were a couple of injuries, but they did not look severe. A. J. Davis, a grad transfer RB from Pitt got clocked, fumbled the ball, and needed help walking off the field. Looked to me as if it was more that his pride got hurt. He was running on the sideline a little later.

#54, a highly touted Freshman OL recruit suffered what appeared to be an ankle injury. He was helped off the field, went to the locker room, but returned (in pads) walking normally, but not wearing one shoe. Perhaps a twisted/sprained ankle?

I did not see or hear a word about K. Black. Perhaps still recovering from last season’s injury, or just held out for safety’s sake?

And FG kicking…hmmm…it’s gonna be a work in progress. Missed a couple from 40+. Legs long strong enough, but accuracy wasn’t there. Introduced Ethan Ratke to the crowd during a break in the action.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2022 02:19 PM by Longhorn.)
04-23-2022 02:01 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State/JMU
Debatable about which QB looked better. All showed some flashes of good and bad, thought if somehow you could combine the best of all 3 you’d have a very good FBS starter. Thought Centeio came out looking bad early and Atkins sharp early, but both showed otherwise later, also thought Alonza looked decent for a kid that should be worrying about the prom. Then again it’s hard to tell from todays set-up where you might have QB1 with the 2nd o-line and 3rd RB/WR against the #1 D while QB2 has the starting o-line etc. I didn’t like some of the decisions to throw into triple coverage, and a few balls were catchable but not made or receiver broke the wrong way. I’ll also add that I understand they didn’t want the QBs hit, but several of the plays blown dead were when the QB barely had a finger on him (no way he would’ve been tackled) so we missed out on seeing a few flashes of escapability. The running game was a mess, no flow at all but again it was a mix of whichever back and line.

Davis was hurt but came back in later. Kicks early we’re a mess, but got better as the day went. I understand again they didn’t want injuries so no punting, but thought they could’ve let Harry’s replacement boom them with no coverage and basically a fair catch, opposed to just placing the ball so many yards downfield and flip the play. I thought every kid in uniform should have seen some sort of action today whether you’re the punter or QB4 or whatever.
04-23-2022 06:20 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I thought the Colorado State QB was the clear winner. This touch the qb rule sucks. The QBs looked like they would have busted some big runs. At least make the defense grab the jersey or wrap them up. Just don’t take them to the ground.

Looked like the coaches were mostly passing to evaluate the qbs. We already know what we have for running backs. Obese looked really good.

Biggest crowd I can recall at a spring game.
04-23-2022 06:22 PM
JMaddy Offline
1st String

Did they remove/replace the CAA logos with SBC (or at least remove them?) or is that something that's going to happen between now and August?
04-24-2022 10:12 PM
703Duke2011 Offline
Water Engineer

JMUFB Spring game
CAA logo is still there sadly

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
04-25-2022 07:36 AM
Advertisement

LovethoseDukes Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU of course!
(04-24-2022 10:12 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  Did they remove/replace the CAA logos with SBC (or at least remove them?) or is that something that's going to happen between now and August?

Some of you really need to find something else to fixate on - date of transition is July 1, 2022 so lots of time left to change logos, etc.

Take a deep breath.....and trust JMU to have everything looking right before the fall.
04-25-2022 08:02 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2022 08:02 AM)LovethoseDukes Wrote:  
(04-24-2022 10:12 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  Did they remove/replace the CAA logos with SBC (or at least remove them?) or is that something that's going to happen between now and August?

Some of you really need to find something else to fixate on - date of transition is July 1, 2022 so lots of time left to change logos, etc.

Take a deep breath.....and trust JMU to have everything looking right before the fall.

It's not like a sticker that just needs to be taken off or something. It's literally in the field.
Replacing a part of the field or whatever needs to be done takes time and (more importantly) costs money.
Plus, right now the team is actually practicing on the field. And they need to pick a time where the team isn't using it (like the Spring game for example!) and they have enough time to replace it.
A lot of times we just say things here without thinking about what it really takes to make these things happen. As a fan, we want it to happen instantly, but the reality is that these things take a bit more time than we would like.
If I see anything with the CAA on it when the new season starts, I will absolutely be screaming about it. But there's no way that's going to happen.
04-25-2022 08:51 AM
JMURocks Offline
Heisman

A few observations from the game

- at times Atkins and Barnett looked sharper in pregame warmup passes than Centeio, but this was without being under any pressure.

- Ravenel looked fantastic zipping up the sideline for about 75 yards after the sideline swing pass from Atkins.

- All 3 QBs look like they have legs and potential to run. Its hard to judge when there is no tackling, but Centeio looked to me like he has the most escapability and ability to break a big one. He also looked the most poised under pressure, and was able to avoid losing yardage. Believe it was Atkins that took a safety after a few TFLs were ruled by the officiating crew. Some of this I chalk up to lack of experience, and there could be a lot of improvement over the next few months.

- Particularly in the second quarter, Centeio put together some nice sustained drives and had what I thought were two great passes. One was a deep ball that connected, and another was a sideline pass that seemed near perfect.

- Hard to say based on just one day who will win the position, but I'd give the edge to Centeio based on spring game performance. He put together a nice one minute drill drive at the end that they used for FG practice after one missed endzone pass. In a real game, we had another two shots at the endzone I think.
04-25-2022 08:53 AM
ShadyP Offline
All American

I don't think this determined who the QB1 will be but I feel confident saying it narrowed it down to a 2 man race between Centeio and Atkins.

I am not saying Barnett looked bad, but he looked like what I expected, a HS kid playing QB. He will no doubt improve with reps but got to imagine he will dress a lot but most likely be red-shirted this year.
04-25-2022 09:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2022 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.