Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Global water security gaining more attention
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
https://www.axios.com/white-house-eyes-w...4c9ee.html

I am glad our national security apparatus is starting to pay more attention to this, in the future water may drive global conflict just like oil has for decades now. Scary statistic -

"The United Nations has estimated roughly half of the global population will endure some level of water stress by 2030."
04-12-2022 09:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Bwahahaha

"Action being discussed would elevate water security as a foreign policy objective — much like how the State Department combats corruption and promotes good governance."

gtfo

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2022 09:53 PM by maximus.)
04-12-2022 09:52 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: Global water security gaining more attention
Axios

UN

Global

[Image: ohno-omg.gif]
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2022 11:55 PM by shere khan.)
04-12-2022 11:54 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(04-12-2022 09:33 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  https://www.axios.com/white-house-eyes-w...4c9ee.html

I am glad our national security apparatus is starting to pay more attention to this, in the future water may drive global conflict just like oil has for decades now. Scary statistic -

"The United Nations has estimated roughly half of the global population will endure some level of water stress by 2030."

Talk about a nonsensical statistic: "some level of water stress"

I lived in southern CA for awhile. They've experienced "some level of water stress" every single year since 1492. And probably earlier.

The difference between water security and other types of security is that water security is rarely an international issue. Even when it is (i.e. Colorado River, Detroit River, Rhine River), a fair solution is usually easily achievable.
04-13-2022 12:01 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Amy farmer or ranchers will be paying close attention. The govt has long wanted to exercise more control over water, and these just feels like an excuse.

What are they going to do? Come put a meter on my well to make sure I'm not using too much water. They can straight piss off.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
04-13-2022 05:53 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
Ever notice how these crises always seem to lose steam as time goes by? Why it's almost as if whenever one potential crisis is averted - or debunked as illegitimate - another one pops up almost immediately? I wonder why would governments do such things. I guess now that dire predictions of climate change disasters are beginning to meet with more and more skepticism "they" need another rallying cry.
04-13-2022 06:14 AM
Advertisement

DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
Where is the water going? It doesn’t just disappear? Are they saying the fresh water will become ocean water. If the earth continues to get hotter wouldn’t that mean there is going to be more rain as more water from the ocean will evaporate? Causing more fresh water.

As we say in the water industry “all water is recycled and your drinking dinosaur pee”
04-13-2022 06:32 AM
Gamenole Offline
All American

This is only going to become a bigger problem, the UN finds that the number & duration of droughts has increased by 29% since just 2000 -

https://thehill.com/policy/equilibrium-s...-worse-un/
05-11-2022 09:47 AM
Claw Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(04-13-2022 05:53 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Amy farmer or ranchers will be paying close attention. The govt has long wanted to exercise more control over water, and these just feels like an excuse.

What are they going to do? Come put a meter on my well to make sure I'm not using too much water. They can straight piss off.

Don't be surprised. It's illegal to collect rainwater in some places.
05-11-2022 09:50 AM
Gamenole Offline
All American

https://thehill.com/policy/equilibrium-s...sis-study/

This certainly makes sense with what we are seeing the news. Many of the countries who are projected to suffer most from the decline in Russian & Ukrainian grain exports are water-poor nations in the Middle East & Africa -

https://www.investmentmonitor.ai/special...od-exports
06-14-2022 12:28 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-13-2022 05:53 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Amy farmer or ranchers will be paying close attention. The govt has long wanted to exercise more control over water, and these just feels like an excuse.

Government has always regulated water rights to some degree. They regulate drainage too. The reality is water is a limited resource--probably our most important resource. One need only look at our own southwestern region to see what happens if the water resources are mishandled or over-estimated.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2022 01:30 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-14-2022 01:28 PM
Advertisement

Redbanksdog Offline
Heisman

(06-14-2022 12:28 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  https://thehill.com/policy/equilibrium-s...sis-study/

This certainly makes sense with what we are seeing the news. Many of the countries who are projected to suffer most from the decline in Russian & Ukrainian grain exports are water-poor nations in the Middle East & Africa -

How long has this been going on in these countries ? A long time is the answer.07-coffee3
06-14-2022 01:51 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(06-14-2022 12:28 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  https://thehill.com/policy/equilibrium-s...sis-study/

did semi-dunno-nole come with "what we are seeing in the news."

ewe don't two fks ... neither do I...

it's fk'n desert, Ja?! just like so cal and those west of middle tejas .... no fk'n shite, biatches!

they want muh tax $$$ to subsidize that bs ... fk the fk off...
06-14-2022 03:31 PM
Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
Axios? I consider myself fairly left and even I don’t care for Axios. Pretty sure they were the ones who said looting has “positive effects, as it creates cash for the looters”. That’s the last time I read anything they had to say.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2022 04:24 PM by Blazer4Life14.)
06-14-2022 04:22 PM
oruvoice Offline
Heisman

Eh. Whatever. I mean, the planet won't be able to sustain human life in about 7 years, anyway. That's what AOC said.
06-14-2022 04:27 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Glad I live smack dab on top of THE MEMPHIS AQUIFER.

Most cities get their water from streams, lakes, and rivers. Memphis gets its water solely from the Memphis Aquifer aka Memphis Sand. Memphis is the largest U.S. city that relies 100% on ground water.

Breakdown: Why Memphis’ water supply is so unique
06-14-2022 04:35 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(06-14-2022 04:27 PM)oruvoice Wrote:  Eh. Whatever. I mean, the planet won't be able to sustain human life in about 7 years, anyway. That's what AOC said.

I miss Miami. It's been two years since we lost South Florida to the sea.
06-14-2022 04:51 PM
Redbanksdog Offline
Heisman

(06-14-2022 04:35 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  Glad I live smack dab on top of THE MEMPHIS AQUIFER.

Most cities get their water from streams, lakes, and rivers. Memphis gets its water solely from the Memphis Aquifer aka Memphis Sand. Memphis is the largest U.S. city that relies 100% on ground water.

Breakdown: Why Memphis’ water supply is so unique

That's true and it's some of the Best water around. 04-cheers
06-14-2022 05:09 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Not the case in other parts of the country, and world. Access to usable water is a big deal, and will become increasingly more important. The ability of maximize the use of this limited resource will become increasingly tied to corporate goals. North America may not be a huge priority, now, but Europe and and the Middle East might have a completely different perspective.
06-15-2022 12:27 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(04-12-2022 09:33 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  https://www.axios.com/white-house-eyes-w...4c9ee.html

Actually, the Pentagon beat them to it. They planned strategies for the defense of potable water supplies in 1999 as part of their long-range plan for the 21st century.

Way too much water is drawn from aquifers globally. It took millions of years for those pools to form and in many cases only about 70 years to deplete them.

Mexico City will be facing a major crisis within a decade. Southern California and Arizona and New Mexico are entering stress now.

This isn't some green hogwash. It's real.
06-15-2022 12:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.