Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Name change and now a NDSU QB?
Bookmark and Share
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Let's Go Brandon!
Name change and now a NDSU QB?
How are Redskins fans holding up or on out there?
03-31-2022 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DooX Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Name change and now a NDSU QB?
And coming off a year where we saw an ODU QB as the primary starter. And they cut Jimmy last spring. And the only JMU QB in the league plays for the Cowboys. So, um, yeah. Rosy times.
03-31-2022 02:57 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
All American

Plus Dan Snyder still owns the team so yeah it's rough and there's no hope.
03-31-2022 07:18 PM
PolishFalconDuke Offline
2nd String

(03-31-2022 07:18 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Plus Dan Snyder still owns the team so yeah it's rough and there's no hope.

Try having your favorite pro teams owned by Snyder, Angelos, and Leonsis.
Then talk about having no hope. 03-nutkick

edit: see that you're 2/3rds of the way there, and the Lerners aren't proving to be much better! Welcome to the dark side, my friend.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2022 07:41 AM by PolishFalconDuke.)
04-01-2022 07:39 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
At least you don't have Congress investigating... oh wait.
04-01-2022 07:40 AM
bcp_jmu Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison!!
^ the grandstanding by the simpletons will be epic
04-02-2022 08:42 AM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
All American

(04-01-2022 07:39 AM)PolishFalconDuke Wrote:  
(03-31-2022 07:18 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Plus Dan Snyder still owns the team so yeah it's rough and there's no hope.

edit: see that you're 2/3rds of the way there, and the Lerners aren't proving to be much better! Welcome to the dark side, my friend.

Ha, I actually don't mind Leonsis at all but maybe that's cause I compare him to Snyder and Dan can make anyone look great. I'm a huge Ovi fan(my dog is named Ovi!) so I guess a little mix between happy the Caps never gave up on getting it done with him in DC and frustrated it took so long to put enough around him.

I don't pay enough attention to baseball to really have much opinion on the Lerners, but being a DC sports fan who was born in December 1990 I guess my standards are pretty low. The Cup in 18 was enough for me compared to my first 27 years, World Series in 19 was just icing on the cake 03-lmfao I sure do hope the wait for the next championship parade in DC isn't another 20+ years though.
04-04-2022 03:03 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(04-04-2022 03:03 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

Ha, I actually don't mind Leonsis at all but maybe that's cause I compare him to Snyder and Dan can make anyone look great. I'm a huge Ovi fan(my dog is named Ovi!) so I guess a little mix between happy the Caps never gave up on getting it done with him in DC and frustrated it took so long to put enough around him.

I don't pay enough attention to baseball to really have much opinion on the Lerners, but being a DC sports fan who was born in December 1990 I guess my standards are pretty low. The Cup in 18 was enough for me compared to my first 27 years, World Series in 19 was just icing on the cake 03-lmfao I sure do hope the wait for the next championship parade in DC isn't another 20+ years though.

People have been labeling the Lerners as cheap recently for losing Harper/Rendon and trading away Turner, but they were nothing of the sort from 2010-2018. They overpaid middle of the road players early to establish credibility and even went over the tax in 2018 in an attempt to go "all-in" to win a WS.

The unfortunate reality is that baseball isn't a big draw in DC. Nats attendance and TV ratings remain uninspiring even after a decade of success. I think it's pretty clear that even with a consistent winner and multiple stars that the masses in the DC area are still barely interested. I think the Lerner's have adjusted their player investments accordingly.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2022 04:17 PM by All Dukes_All Day.)
04-04-2022 04:15 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State/JMU
(04-04-2022 04:15 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  The unfortunate reality is that baseball isn't a big draw in DC. Nats attendance and TV ratings remain uninspiring even after a decade of success. I think it's pretty clear that even with a consistent winner and multiple stars that the masses in the DC area are still barely interested. I think the Lerner's have adjusted their player investments accordingly.
Having drive-by shootings outside the gates doesn’t help.
04-04-2022 06:44 PM
PolishFalconDuke Offline
2nd String

(04-04-2022 04:15 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  

People have been labeling the Lerners as cheap recently for losing Harper/Rendon and trading away Turner, but they were nothing of the sort from 2010-2018. They overpaid middle of the road players early to establish credibility and even went over the tax in 2018 in an attempt to go "all-in" to win a WS.

The unfortunate reality is that baseball isn't a big draw in DC. Nats attendance and TV ratings remain uninspiring even after a decade of success. I think it's pretty clear that even with a consistent winner and multiple stars that the masses in the DC area are still barely interested. I think the Lerner's have adjusted their player investments accordingly.

As a lifelong O's fan, I see a lot of the same in the Nats as when Angelos first bought the O's. Got a new ballpark and went all in to win for several years, except it didn't work (they didn't luck into a Howie Kendrick at the trade deadline), and then he completely quit spending and started crying poor. Not sure if the Lerners will follow the same road (can't really claim to be a small market team in DC). I think the Soto situation will reveal a lot about the near future of the Nats.
04-05-2022 07:40 AM
All American

(04-04-2022 06:44 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(04-04-2022 04:15 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  The unfortunate reality is that baseball isn't a big draw in DC. Nats attendance and TV ratings remain uninspiring even after a decade of success. I think it's pretty clear that even with a consistent winner and multiple stars that the masses in the DC area are still barely interested. I think the Lerner's have adjusted their player investments accordingly.
Having drive-by shootings outside the gates doesn’t help.

On JMU night of all days!
04-05-2022 11:07 AM
Advertisement

All American

(04-05-2022 07:40 AM)PolishFalconDuke Wrote:  

As a lifelong O's fan, I see a lot of the same in the Nats as when Angelos first bought the O's. Got a new ballpark and went all in to win for several years, except it didn't work (they didn't luck into a Howie Kendrick at the trade deadline), and then he completely quit spending and started crying poor. Not sure if the Lerners will follow the same road (can't really claim to be a small market team in DC). I think the Soto situation will reveal a lot about the near future of the Nats.

Kendrick had actually been on the Nats for multiple years before the 2019 run. He was also a complete defensive liability in the Dodgers series, but I'd say he made up for it with the Grand Slam in Game 5!

The Lerners strategy to build a successful team actually did work though. They made the playoffs five times in 8 seasons and won a World Series. The unfortunate reality though is that people in the region still barely cared (ratings and attendance numbers reflect this). I'm generally not pro-MLB owner, but when you spend $150+ million on payroll produce a consistent winner and you're still only getting 25k/game, I can see the desire to not pay players fully guaranteed contracts worth $300+ million dollar contracts over 10 years.

If Angelos got one thing right it's that DC isn't a baseball town.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2022 11:17 AM by All Dukes_All Day.)
04-05-2022 11:15 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I’m telling you the Redskins should have become the Red Foxes. Native to the Mid-Atlantic. Perfect for DC. Would have made too much sense..
https://www.voanews.com/amp/6516672.html
04-06-2022 01:09 PM
olddawg Online
Heisman

(04-06-2022 01:09 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  I’m telling you the Redskins should have become the Red Foxes. Native to the Mid-Atlantic. Perfect for DC. Would have made too much sense..

Now this would have been a great mascot logo! #FredSanford
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2022 01:43 PM by olddawg.)
04-06-2022 01:42 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
All American

(04-06-2022 01:09 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  I’m telling you the Redskins should have become the Red Foxes. Native to the Mid-Atlantic. Perfect for DC. Would have made too much sense..

I was hoping for Redwolves, but that would've been a neat one too. Both of those have tons of potential for really cool logos and uniforms while obviously staying a little more connected to the franchise's history with a "red" name that still gets away from any offensiveness or controversy(well, with the name). Plus a connection to the region.

There were so, so, so many possibilities out there that would've been a million times better than Commanders.
04-06-2022 03:06 PM
DukeQuin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU, UCLA, Wyo
(04-05-2022 11:15 AM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  
(04-05-2022 07:40 AM)PolishFalconDuke Wrote:  
(04-01-2022 07:39 AM)PolishFalconDuke Wrote:  Try having your favorite pro teams owned by Snyder, Angelos, and Leonsis.

Kendrick had actually been on the Nats for multiple years before the 2019 run. He was also a complete defensive liability in the Dodgers series, but I'd say he made up for it with the Grand Slam in Game 5!

The Lerners strategy to build a successful team actually did work though. They made the playoffs five times in 8 seasons and won a World Series. The unfortunate reality though is that people in the region still barely cared (ratings and attendance numbers reflect this). I'm generally not pro-MLB owner, but when you spend $150+ million on payroll produce a consistent winner and you're still only getting 25k/game, I can see the desire to not pay players fully guaranteed contracts worth $300+ million dollar contracts over 10 years.

If Angelos got one thing right it's that DC isn't a baseball town.

It's not a top-5 baseball market. It is successful, though.

Starting with the 2012 season, they've averaged at least 27,898 per game. Oh, that's just a few thousand more than the 25k per game you said, right? It's 240k more a season; that's a lot of ticket and ancillary revenue.

I can come up with lots of explanations for why they have never been a top-10 team in attendance, but the one I'd put foremost is that while they were never below .500 from 2012 on, they never managed a sustained run of seasons well above that mark or penetration deep in the playoffs, until the WS run. Attendance sees an upswing following a successful season, and the chart of their attendance over the past decade bears that out. It's reasonable to think excitement about the WS victory would have seen heightened interest at the ticket counter, but COVID made it so we'd never know for sure, and then enough of the pieces that had made that victory possible broke or underachieved, so they finally had to start a rebuild.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams...6a03a8e3e2

I do not believe we're ever going to get an honest appraisal on how well they could do with tv ratings until their tv operation is no longer run by the Orioles. A resolution to that mess would certainly help underwrite the checks for a long-term contract with Soto, but I think the decision to do that depends as much on whether the team can contend again in a short period of time.
04-06-2022 03:49 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(04-06-2022 03:06 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

I was hoping for Redwolves, but that would've been a neat one too. Both of those have tons of potential for really cool logos and uniforms while obviously staying a little more connected to the franchise's history with a "red" name that still gets away from any offensiveness or controversy(well, with the name). Plus a connection to the region.

There were so, so, so many possibilities out there that would've been a million times better than Commanders.

Yep. Red wolves are (or were) native to the southeast and mid atlantic.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf
04-06-2022 04:35 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

When I hear the word ‘commander’ I think of an O5 in the Navy or Coast Guard (Lt Colonel in the other branches)
[Image: R.9326252257691d239fd2c056a9108c05?rik=K...mp;amp;r=0]

Maybe instead of the Hogettes, they can have the Seamen..
04-06-2022 04:36 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State/JMU
And I think of "Commendatori, Bon Giorno" 03-lmfao

[Image: 1ecbd0e4ae4d7334f8fc402a01d074d4e1cfae5e.jpg]
04-07-2022 07:23 AM
Middle-aged-Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

Commander Obvious might be available

https://images.app.goo.gl/Bh28t3gaCyJk173X6
04-08-2022 10:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2022 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.