WNIT 3rd Rnd @ Marquette Game Thread
Bookmark and Share
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
MyBB WNIT 3rd Rnd @ Marquette Game Thread
Tip-off 8PM Thursday, 3/24.

Here's a little scouting of Marquette.

They play in the Big East where their rankings benefit from allowing themselves to be beaten up by UConn three times a year. They also play against some other good teams like Creighton and DePaul, but some pretty bad teams too in the likes of Butler, Georgetown and Xavier. They are 23-10 overall and 13-7 in conference, but interestingly enough they have a lower NET than Toledo (69 to UT's 65). They appear to be 2nd class citizens on their own campus, still playing in the old 4000 seat Al McGuire Center, while the men play in a much newer 18,000 seat arena. They average about 1300 fans per game (They had 900 v BSU, and 1300 v Purdue.)

Not able to watch any film because all their games are on flohoops, so can only look at stats. They are a tall team starting 6'2, 6'2, 6'1, 5'11, 5'7. As such they are an excellent rebounding team averaging about the same 41 boards as UT. They are a good defensive team about equaling UT in points given up, but they don't score as many (67 to UT's 72.)

They take very few three point shots for this day and age, making less than 4 per game and almost all of those come from 1 player, 5'11 G Jordan King who shoots over 42% from three. They have 4 starters all averaging between 10 and 14 points per game with their leading scorer being 6'2 F Lauren Van Kleunen. All their starters shoot over 40%, but none over 50%. UT has Cook and Noveroske both shooting over 50%. They get more assists than UT but also commit more turnovers, so the assist-to-turnover ratio is just a touch better than UT's.

They had some big wins including beating Creighton and DePaul both at home. They split with Seton Hall (each winning on their home floor) and you may recall UT took Seton Hall to OT in Mexico. They also beat a good Middle Tennessee team on a neutral court in OT. Both SHU and MTSU are still alive in the WNIT. They lost three times to UConn, all of them by double digits, but none were horrible losses. They don't typically score very much but they exploded for 93 against Ball State, and scored 77 against Purdue, so they appear to be on a hot streak.

All in all, on paper, the match-up looks pretty even, and it may come down to home court advantage. MU appears to be a much better team at home (15-2) than on the road (6-6), so it's unfortunate UT could not get this game at home. Their only losses at home were to UConn and Villanova who both made the NCAA. The small gym is pretty loud even with 1000 fans. Should be a good game. Hope it will be streamed for free like their Purdue game.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022 09:59 PM by northcoastRocket.)
03-23-2022 09:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: WNIT 3rd Rnd @ Marquette Game Thread
Free streaming: something to hope for tonight.
03-24-2022 09:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lester Offline
Special Teams

I'm annoyed with the athletic department that we didn't manage to get this game at home, given Marquette's poor attendance.
03-24-2022 01:16 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Marquette has said that the stream tonight will be free. Yay!
03-24-2022 02:35 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-24-2022 01:16 PM)Lester Wrote:  I'm annoyed with the athletic department that we didn't manage to get this game at home, given Marquette's poor attendance.

I hear you, but Marquette is another one of those schools with no football and so basketball gets the vast majority of their expenses and is immensely well funded. It's likely hard to outbid a school like that if they really want to buy the home game, and in this case they probably know they need home games to have a chance to advance. They likely don't care if they lose a ton of money on the game. Just the fact that they were able to outbid Purdue shows how invested they must be.

The WNIT and WBB in general really needs to get their act together on more equitable ways to run their tournaments. It's funny how the NCAA tourney gives the top teams home court advantage for 2 games, but for the WNIT the best team may have to go on the road to play at a much worse team's home court if that school happens to be flush with cash. Something's backwards about that whole thing.
03-24-2022 02:46 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think Toledo has to shoot really well to get the win. Not a game for someone having a 1-10 night.
03-24-2022 03:54 PM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-24-2022 02:35 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Marquette has said that the stream tonight will be free. Yay!

Flohoops.com is a pay site that is mentioned on the Marquette site. Is that what you are talking about.
03-24-2022 04:08 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(03-24-2022 04:08 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(03-24-2022 02:35 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Marquette has said that the stream tonight will be free. Yay!

Flohoops.com is a pay site that is mentioned on the Marquette site. Is that what you are talking about.

UT says it is free.

03-24-2022 05:06 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Yep, still broadcast by flohoops, but don't need an account to view. This is the same that they did with the Purdue game.

I am wondering if the WNIT requested this, or if it was UM's idea. I know the OU vs SDSU WNIT game was behind a paywall on some site I had never heard of and I was thinking boy that sucks for the OU fans that they can't even watch their team play in the post-season. Of course, then SDSU blew them out by 30, so I'm guessing most of the OU fans were glad they couldn't watch.
03-24-2022 05:51 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I was looking for a Marquette message board to see what their fans were saying, and I think I found three different boards, and none of them had any significant discussion of Women's hoops. How pathetic. Just another example of how unique Toledo is with their WBB fan base.
03-24-2022 05:54 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(03-24-2022 05:54 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  I was looking for a Marquette message board to see what their fans were saying, and I think I found three different boards, and none of them had any significant discussion of Women's hoops. How pathetic. Just another example of how unique Toledo is with their WBB fan base.

The bg board used to be slightly active on women's hoops but no more. No one else I’ve seen comes close.
03-24-2022 05:55 PM
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-24-2022 05:55 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(03-24-2022 05:54 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  I was looking for a Marquette message board to see what their fans were saying, and I think I found three different boards, and none of them had any significant discussion of Women's hoops. How pathetic. Just another example of how unique Toledo is with their WBB fan base.

The bg board used to be slightly active on women's hoops but no more. No one else I’ve seen comes close.

CMU's board over on 247 has some fairly active WBB discussions - mostly these days calling for Oesterle to be ousted. Akron's board too, and somewhat on OU's and Buffalo's. But yeah, BG's is pretty much dead these days.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2022 06:20 PM by northcoastRocket.)
03-24-2022 06:12 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

direct link to the stream: https://www.flohoops.com/live/39254
03-24-2022 06:56 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Early foul against Goss.

6-5 MU early
03-24-2022 07:07 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

And Noveroske picks up a foul after being in the game 15 seconds. So here's Garcia.
03-24-2022 07:08 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Sammi a big three!!!
03-24-2022 07:09 PM
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Geesh, now a foul on Cook. 4 fouls already.
03-24-2022 07:10 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Jansen for THREE.

11-8 UT
03-24-2022 07:11 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

And another foul on UT. I figured Big east officials would let them play, but I guess not.
03-24-2022 07:12 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

And Q adds a three.

16-10 UT
03-24-2022 07:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.