ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA March Madness Thread
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
NCAA March Madness Thread
The greatest time of year for a sports fan. Rooting for Longwood and Norfolk State to perform well.

But, the committee did an awful job, per usual.

Screwed:
Houston. on what planet are they a 5 seed? Net of 3; KenPom of 4

Tennessee. The committee favoring Duke as a 2 over Tenn is laughable.

Oklahoma- huge gripe. By far the best team left out. 40 in Net, 30 in KP

Are the ADs on the tourney committee?
Duke See Tenn comment. And understand the at Duke also gets to face what is likely the worst 15 seed team.

Miami- 62 in Net, 62 in KenPom....Committee thinks they are the 38th best team in America. Must have been overly impressed with their OT win against Boston College or close losses to Florida State.

Creighton as a 9....what?

Wisconsin- 3 seed. 24 in Net, 35 in KenPom. They are ranked one spot below Michigan in KenPom and Michigan is an 11 seed. They are ranked 1 spot ahead of Seton Hall, who is an 8 seed. Also- Wisky is 4 spots below Oklahoma.......who was left out.

Rutgers- Did the Committee spell Oklahoma wrong?

Slight Gripes:
UCLA as a 4 seed
San Fran as a 10 seed

Notre Dame is the committees 47th best team. They had a NET of 53 and a KenPom of 52. Virginia Tech won the ACC tourney, had a NET of 27 and a KenPom of 23. These 2 schools had the same seeding.

What more does Loyola Chicago have to do to get a decent seed?

Providence- yeah, I know they were lucky to win a lot of BE games and are the luckiest team in the field, but 4 seed seems really high for them.
03-14-2022 09:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUgrad81+82 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ODU
RE: NCAA March Madness Thread
(03-14-2022 09:27 AM)Stat Geek Wrote:  The greatest time of year for a sports fan. Rooting for Longwood and Norfolk State to perform well.

Screwed:

Duke See Tenn comment. And understand the at Duke also gets to face what is likely the worst 15 seed team.

Miami- 62 in Net, 62 in KenPom....Committee thinks they are the 38th best team in America. Must have been overly impressed with their OT win against Boston College or close losses to Florida State.

Wisconsin- 3 seed. 24 in Net, 35 in KenPom. They are ranked one spot below Michigan in KenPom and Michigan is an 11 seed. They are ranked 1 spot ahead of Seton Hall, who is an 8 seed. Also- Wisky is 4 spots below Oklahoma.......who was left out.

Slight Gripes:
UCLA as a 4 seed
San Fran as a 10 seed

Notre Dame is the committees 47th best team. They had a NET of 53 and a KenPom of 52. Virginia Tech won the ACC tourney, had a NET of 27 and a KenPom of 23. These 2 schools had the same seeding.

What more does Loyola Chicago have to do to get a decent seed?

Providence- yeah, I know they were lucky to win a lot of BE games and are the luckiest team in the field, but 4 seed seems really high for them.

Great 1st post in this thread. Let the conversation begin. Should be lots of fun next couple of weeks.
03-14-2022 09:43 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

Houston’s 1-4 in Quad 1 and 28-1 for the rest of their games. Most of those losses were close so their analytics looks good but the committee was obviously less impressed with their record against good teams.
03-14-2022 09:55 AM
757ODU Offline
All American

(03-14-2022 09:27 AM)Stat Geek Wrote:  The greatest time of year for a sports fan. Rooting for Longwood and Norfolk State to perform well.

Screwed:

Slight Gripes:
UCLA as a 4 seed
San Fran as a 10 seed

What more does [b]Loyola Chicago have to do to get a decent seed? [/b]

I can tell you that Jay Wright is unhappy to see them as the 10 in their region. Do not be shocked if they make a big time run in this one too.
03-14-2022 09:57 AM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

RPI is an awful metric but if you just use top 30 at home, top 50 for neutral, and top 75 away games as quad 1:

Wisky- Neutral- 2 point loss
Bama- Road- 1 point loss
SMU- Road- 2 point loss
Memphis-Home-10 Point Loss

Ok State- Neutral -9 point win
Memphis- Neutral- 18 point win

They also beat UVA at home by 20 and Oregon on a neutral site by 29. Beat several top 100 schools on neutral and away sites. By RPI, they were 10-1 in Quad 2.

So, no issue if you want to knock them a little bit and put them as a 3 or maybe a 4.

The committee comes out and says they were relying on RPI less and then us it to support who they select.
03-14-2022 10:07 AM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2022 09:57 AM)757ODU Wrote:  

Screwed:

Slight Gripes:
UCLA as a 4 seed
San Fran as a 10 seed

What more does [b]Loyola Chicago have to do to get a decent seed? [/b]

I can tell you that Jay Wright is unhappy to see them as the 10 in their region. Do not be shocked if they make a big time run in this one too.

Poor Jay got either the number 1 or 2 best team in the country, Houston as a 5, Tennessee as a 3 (should be a 2), and Loyola as a 10. Brutal
03-14-2022 10:10 AM
Advertisement

Petey Hodge Offline
All American

what would be the next soul-crushing basketball event to befall Monarch fans?!

1) VCU making Final Four (after we dispatched them in CAAT in lovely fashion)
2) GMU making the first legit mid-major Final Four (with dirty, "punch u in the balls" Tony Skinn"
3) .......? 2022 Virginia Tech making their first Final Four?
03-14-2022 06:53 PM
The Doctor Is In Offline
Special Teams

(03-14-2022 06:53 PM)Petey Hodge Wrote:  what would be the next soul-crushing basketball event to befall Monarch fans?!

2) GMU making the first legit mid-major Final Four (with dirty, "punch u in the balls" Tony Skinn"

The merrymakers in hoagieville have an experienced and deep team. They are peaking at the right time, and they are in a bracket where their brand of basketball can do well. My question as to their longevity is how well will they travel? We shall see but I could see a deep run.
03-14-2022 07:15 PM
ODUgrad81+82 Offline
2nd String

(03-14-2022 07:15 PM)The Doctor Is In Wrote:  
(03-14-2022 06:53 PM)Petey Hodge Wrote:  what would be the next soul-crushing basketball event to befall Monarch fans?!

The merrymakers in hoagieville have an experienced and deep team. They are peaking at the right time, and they are in a bracket where their brand of basketball can do well. My question as to their longevity is how well will they travel? We shall see but I could see a deep run.

They have very solid offensive team. But I was really impressed with the defense they played in beating UNC and Duke. If they play defense that well in the tourney, I agree they could make a nice run. Definitely a strong 11 seed, playing the way they have over the last 15 games.
03-14-2022 07:34 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

If only the game was so easy that we could just use Kenpom and Net rankings to determine seedings and winners, we could all fill out an immaculate March Madness bracket.

I think I heard Sunday that 17 top seeds didn't win their own conference tournament.
03-14-2022 11:57 PM
84Monarch Offline
1st String

Rutgers is the real head scratcher for me. Based on the graphics when talking to the tournament rep. 18-13, 6-5 out of conference. The big thing was the net ranking 77!! Really??
03-15-2022 06:49 AM
Advertisement

ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

I generally loathe all things Virginia Tech, but I ain't gonna lie. I'm a big fan of Mike Young and find myself rooting for them this year.
03-15-2022 07:10 AM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(03-15-2022 07:10 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  

I generally loathe all things Virginia Tech, but I ain't gonna lie. I'm a big fan of Mike Young and find myself rooting for them this year.

GMU and VCU FF runs were terrible to witness and live through as an ODU fan. Especially considering how good our teams were those years.

VT can make a FF run and I'm fine with it.
03-15-2022 07:30 AM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

Personally, I would probably root for a VT run as well. I don't hate them.

Im not sure why VT wasn't thought of more highly during the season and I certainly can't understand why they are an 11 seed. We have an 11 vs. 6 game featuring the 15th and 23rd best teams according to KenPom rankings. Talk about a crappy draw for both.

I expect Texas to win.
03-15-2022 07:36 AM
The Flagship Offline
All American

I find myself in the same basket. Maybe not rooting as much, but more like not hating near as much. Mike Young hasn't ticked me off yet like Greenberg did.03-lmfao
03-15-2022 07:41 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I don't hate VT. I hated Seth Greenberg, but since he's been gone, I'm ok with them.
03-15-2022 08:13 AM
Advertisement

Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

"11th" seeded Michigan is favored over "6th" seeded Colorado. I wonder how the committee feels about that when they see it.
03-15-2022 01:36 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Everything you need to know to win your bracket found in one place:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb528ewa5t4ogh...tteise.pdf
03-16-2022 12:41 PM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

If you havent gone to these games before, its a must to do it. I haven't recently because of kids but I use to go every year to where ever the closest regional was. 4 games on the first day and 2 on the second day. It was incredible.
03-16-2022 01:13 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(03-16-2022 01:13 PM)Stat Geek Wrote:  If you havent gone to these games before, its a must to do it. I haven't recently because of kids but I use to go every year to where ever the closest regional was. 4 games on the first day and 2 on the second day. It was incredible.

Headed to my first final four in a few weeks. Can't wait.
03-16-2022 01:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.