Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Dooley fired at ECU with one year remaining on contract.
Bookmark and Share
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
03-11-2022 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hawk81 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: OT - Dooley fired at ECU with one year remaining on contract.
Fired twice by the same school.

What a feat!
03-11-2022 09:15 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

lolEZU
03-11-2022 10:16 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

You think they will go after Siddle?
03-11-2022 10:35 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2022 10:35 PM)solohawks Wrote:  You think they will go after Siddle?

If they want him they could take him(so says the EZU crowd). 04-cheers
03-12-2022 04:47 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

If I were them I'd go after LeVelle Moton
03-12-2022 07:30 AM
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

Don’t worry EZU fans, I’m sure you can lure Roy Williams or Coach K out of retirement.
03-12-2022 07:37 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
ECU is their own worst enemy. Their self-image doesn't match their reality, so they are doomed to live a life of unfulfilled expectations.

I'm not anti-ECU like some here. I actually pull for them in many instances. But it seems like every time they get something good going - and it takes a while there - they get it in their heads that they should be doing even better, then fire the guy who is doing well but not meeting their unrealistic expectations.

Then they start all over again. Lather, rinse, repeat.
03-12-2022 09:29 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-12-2022 09:29 AM)70shawk Wrote:  ECU is their own worst enemy. Their self-image doesn't match their reality, so they are doomed to live a life of unfulfilled expectations.

I'm not anti-ECU like some here. I actually pull for them in many instances. But it seems like every time they get something good going - and it takes a while there - they get it in their heads that they should be doing even better, then fire the guy who is doing well but not meeting their unrealistic expectations.

Agree

Look at how much time UNCG gave Wes Miller.
03-12-2022 10:14 AM
Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

Tim Craft of Gardner Webb and Rob Lanier of Georgia State are two names being mentioned.

https://twitter.com/rumorscoach/status/1...32229?s=21
03-12-2022 01:46 PM
Hawk81 Offline
Bench Warmer

Siddle isn’t going to ecu. He’s waiting for the NC State job to come open in a month or so.
03-12-2022 02:05 PM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
I know it’s ezu, but Coach Siddle should take a look at the roster up there and see if any of those guys are worth a shot in a real basketball program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
03-12-2022 07:31 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(03-12-2022 09:29 AM)70shawk Wrote:  ECU is their own worst enemy. Their self-image doesn't match their reality, so they are doomed to live a life of unfulfilled expectations.

Dooley made 1 million dollars and was a top 100 paid coach. He averaged 200+NET rankings 4 years even with All ACC Jayden Gardner 3 of them left to him by Lebo. It actually takes some skill to squander it that bad. I would have just been happy with basic ROI of what we dump into the program. Our basketball budget is 116th out of 358. How about a top 100ish season once in 4 years. Good grief. Most of our fans still wanted him to comeback because they think going 15-15 #184 NET is good or something. He was due a 250k longevity bonus too if he returned BTW. Do you honestly think he's worth it? He has the lowest RPI of any coach here 3+ years since 1980. Even with Gardner 3 of those years.

One name we have been in contact with per our sources is one you will know UNCW grad Joel Justus. He would be low on my list. I'd prefer we just suck it up and try to hire Gregg Marshall. He's got enough of a black eye we might could get him right now.

If he said no actually my favorite realistic is Steve DeMeo who is already on the ECU staff. He was added in September from St John's and was 170-27 at his last JUCO and won a national title and teams with players like DJ Funderburke, Chris Durate, Andres Feliz that would have killed ours. Steve Forbes was his predecessor at that JUCO so the model works. He was also 53-7 at another JUCO in the 90's and had the #1 team there as well he started pretty much from the ground up, before spending 10 years at Providence where he was a top 25 assistant. Now watch us hire some unknow assistant. Joe Pasternack you guys interviewed would be someone I like too. Chris Jans, Scott Nagy and Richie Riley is my list. Dooley was making double and triple all of them.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2022 04:44 PM by StillJonesing.)
03-13-2022 04:28 PM
Hawk81 Offline
Bench Warmer

Greg Marshall. Lol

ECU reaching for the stars, but likely gonna land in some pothole in a back alley of Greenville.
03-13-2022 06:22 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2022 06:22 PM)Hawk81 Wrote:  Greg Marshall. Lol

ECU reaching for the stars, but likely gonna land in some pothole in a back alley of Greenville.

Let me say again I don't think we'll get him, but I wish we would take the PR hit and try. Dooley was going to make 1.25 million this year. It's a Top 100 paid job. Who else is going to offer him that kind of money? Of the 21 jobs open this is the 7th highest paying and he's too toxic for most P6 schools. This is infact one of the highest paying non P6 jobs on the east coast. Temple pays McKie 200k less for example in our own conference. Marshall is a coach in the Carolinas for years, former AAC coach. Lots of logical reasons why he might have interest.

Did you think Pitinio would be at Iona? Marshall would be my first call. If he said no I would offer it to Steve DeMeo who is already at ECU. 170-27 and a National Title in his resume. I think you underestimate what kind of coaches might have some interest. We hired two assistants directly from Virginia Tech. One for a lesser position here. I don't underestimate our AD's ability to screw it up but there should be quality candidates interestested.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2022 07:16 PM by StillJonesing.)
03-13-2022 06:57 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
True story: Back in 2006 or so, Old 70sHawk was present at a conversation when the then-ECU chancellor (himself, in person) let it be confidentially known that Greg Marshall (who then was at Winthrop) would be their next men's basketball coach . A few days later - Bingo - somehow former VCU Coach Mack McCarthy gets hired instead.

Total typical ECU move. No idea how that happened , but happened it did.
03-13-2022 08:25 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-13-2022 06:57 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  

Let me say again I don't think we'll get him, but I wish we would take the PR hit and try. Dooley was going to make 1.25 million this year. It's a Top 100 paid job. Who else is going to offer him that kind of money? Of the 21 jobs open this is the 7th highest paying and he's too toxic for most P6 schools. This is infact one of the highest paying non P6 jobs on the east coast. Temple pays McKie 200k less for example in our own conference. Marshall is a coach in the Carolinas for years, former AAC coach. Lots of logical reasons why he might have interest.

Did you think Pitinio would be at Iona? Marshall would be my first call. If he said no I would offer it to Steve DeMeo who is already at ECU. 170-27 and a National Title in his resume. I think you underestimate what kind of coaches might have some interest. We hired two assistants directly from Virginia Tech. One for a lesser position here. I don't underestimate our AD's ability to screw it up but there should be quality candidates interestested.

Same old story. You show up here and tell us how much better the EZU job is than the UNCW job every time your coaches fail. OVER AND OVER. You spew a hundred reasons WHY...OVER AND OVER. And EZU basketball still sucks. You're delusional and EZU basketball is where coaches go to die. There is no way in hell you're getting Marshall unless he wanted it to be his last job. Sooner or later the AAC is going to lose all their good teams and MAYBE EZU will have the chance to break into the top half of the conference.

Hope springs eternal for EZU fans so good luck. I just feel bad for the next coach who is getting ready to ruin his career at EZU.
03-13-2022 08:44 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2022 08:25 PM)70shawk Wrote:  True story: Back in 2006 or so, Old 70sHawk was present at a conversation when the then-ECU chancellor (himself, in person) let it be confidentially known that Greg Marshall (who then was at Winthrop) would be their next men's basketball coach . A few days later - Bingo - somehow former VCU Coach Mack McCarthy gets hired instead.

Total typical ECU move. No idea how that happened , but happened it did.

Even worse Terry Holland hired Ricky Stokes with his 39% winning percentage and McCarthy to be his top assistant at the same time. they were introduced at the same press conference. It was 2 years after that that the job was dumped on Mack full time and he only had 2 recruiting classes. That was actually a mistake not giving him another year or hiring him instead of wasting 2 years on Stokes. He was actually 309-177 with 5 NCAA and a Sweet 16. His last season at VCU they were 3rd in the CAA and won 21 games and top 80. He was actually more accomplished than Marshall at the time.

The hire before him and the last time we fired Dooley was Bill Herrion who was 40 years old and 8th in the NCAA in win percentage at the time 167-71 (71%) and had beat Memphis in the NCAA tourny. We've made good hires on paper over the years only to find out they suck. Herrion is now under .500 and 2nd on the all time losses list in D1, he just wasn't good.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2022 08:53 PM by StillJonesing.)
03-13-2022 08:52 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2022 08:44 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

Same old story. You show up here and tell us how much better the EZU job is than the UNCW job every time your coaches fail. OVER AND OVER. You spew a hundred reasons WHY...OVER AND OVER. And EZU basketball still sucks. You're delusional and EZU basketball is where coaches go to die. There is no way in hell you're getting Marshall unless he wanted it to be his last job. Sooner or later the AAC is going to lose all their good teams and MAYBE EZU will have the chance to break into the top half of the conference.

Hope springs eternal for EZU fans so good luck. I just feel bad for the next coach who is getting ready to ruin his career at EZU.

I haven't said anything about UNCW. I just put in perspective for the guy thinking we should keep Dooley. He's been terrible even by ECU standards. Like the worst ever other than Stokes and he was only here 2 years. His average RPI was 70 spots worse than his average RPI when he was 30 years old and in the CAA. 55 spots worse than Lebo. I think I have said the exact opposite.

You feel bad for a guy taking a job that pays up to 1 million dollars likely double or tripling his salary? Ok.

Who exactly are these great coaches we have ever had who's careers we killed? Is it possible we just made mostly terrible hires and had no money until we got in the AAC. It's not the same job it was. McCarthy made 225k and was paid the same or less than area mid majors. ECU is now paying double or more. That AAC money is also guaranteed through 2032. ECU will get the same TV money in the AAC while the new comers like Charlotte and UAB get about 25% TV money for the next decade. We certainly have window to try to capitalize.

-Bill Herrion under .500, 2nd all time in D1 losses 449-457

-Eddie Payne, actually got hired away by Oregon St, more losses than Herrion with all his D2 included ......484-478

-Jeff Lebo 18 years as a D1 coach, 2 NIT, and zero NCAA's got to be some sort of record

-Ricky Stokes 45-70 at Virginia Tech 39%

-Mike Steele, straight from D3

-Charlie Harrison 7-21 at New Mexico

These guys were big losers everywhere not just ECU. Proven out over years and years. You think it's possible we were poor and just hired the wrong guys? Someone will want this job and to triple their salary even if our AD screws it up.

How about the UNCW grad that was at Kentucky? He's interested. That's mainly why I dropped by.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2022 10:42 PM by StillJonesing.)
03-13-2022 10:17 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-13-2022 10:17 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(03-13-2022 08:44 PM)82hawk Wrote:  

I haven't said anything about UNCW. I just put in perspective for the guy thinking we should keep Dooley. He's been terrible even by ECU standards. Like the worst ever other than Stokes and he was only here 2 years. His average RPI was 70 spots worse than his average RPI when he was 30 years old and in the CAA. 55 spots worse than Lebo. I think I have said the exact opposite.

You feel bad for a guy taking a job that pays up to 1 million dollars likely double or tripling his salary? Ok.

Who exactly are these great coaches we have ever had who's careers we killed? Is it possible we just made mostly terrible hires and had no money until we got in the AAC. It's not the same job it was. McCarthy made 225k and was paid the same or less than area mid majors. ECU is now paying double or more. That AAC money is also guaranteed through 2032. ECU will get the same TV money in the AAC while the new comers like Charlotte and UAB get about 25% TV money for the next decade. We certainly have window to try to capitalize.

-Bill Herrion under .500, 2nd all time in D1 losses 449-457

-Eddie Payne, actually got hired away by Oregon St, more losses than Herrion with all his D2 included ......484-478

-Jeff Lebo 18 years as a D1 coach, 2 NIT, and zero NCAA's got to be some sort of record

-Ricky Stokes 45-70 at Virginia Tech 39%

-Mike Steele, straight from D3

-Charlie Harrison 7-21 at New Mexico

These guys were big losers everywhere not just ECU. Proven out over years and years. You think it's possible we were poor and just hired the wrong guys? Someone will want this job and to triple their salary even if our AD screws it up.

How about the UNCW grad that was at Kentucky? He's interested. That's mainly why I dropped by.

"The Kentucky Guy from UNCW"? You don't even know his name, yet at the same time you're talking about Marshall? Furthermore, why does ECU consistently hire coaches who "were losers everywhere"? Money isn't everything for coaches when you compare it to career advancement, because a stint at ECU is a career killer for basketball coaches. There are currently four coaches in the ACC that came from the CAA and they got there because they didn't make the mistake of going to a mid major, football centric school, that hasn't had ANY form of basketball success in....how long?

You can bang the ECU basketball drum all you want, but that drum hasn't made a sound in almost FORTY YEARS. Good luck drawing a top notch coach to that basketball desert.
03-14-2022 06:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.