Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can the NBE start FBS Football, as 1 pod in a (WAC-inspired) 16-team CUSA?
TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy The Boy
Can the NBE start FBS Football, as 1 pod in a (WAC-inspired) 16-team CUSA?
The 16-team WAC never gets its due as a decent conference. In three years as a 16-team league, the WAC got a team to the Final Four (Utah, 1998) and saw a football team finish No. 5 in the country (BYU, 1996).

Can CUSA take the WAC pod strategy and reignite regional football in places where FBS football has been relatively weak?

IMO, CUSA could return to being a solid hybrid league - but not with a FB/BKB hybrid split.

IMO, CUSA may instead embrace the hybrid identity of All-sports combined with FB-only pods - and embrace regional football rivalries.

Here is what I believe would be an interesting 16-team Conference USA.

Big East Pod (FB-Only & AS)
1. UConn
2. UMass
3. Villanova (FCS move up)
4. Liberty (All-Sports)

South East Pod (All-Sports)
5. Western Kentucky (All-Sports)
6. Middle Tennessee State (All-Sports)
7. Jacksonville State (All-Sports)
8. Florida International (All-Sports)

South West Pod (All-Sports)
9. New Mexico State (All-Sports)
10. UTEP (All-Sports)
11. Sam Houston State (All-Sports)
12. Louisiana Tech (All-Sports)

Mid West Pod (FB-Only)
13. North Dakota State (FCS move up)
14. South Dakota State (FCS move up)
15. Missouri State (FCS move up)
16. Northern Iowa (FCS move up)

- Would a TV deal with these brands under the same umbrella bring in more dollars than with the present all-sports 9? Football drives the revenue in media deals. This could give CUSA FB a bit more juice for the networks. A 16-team conference seems to be more standard now than it was when the WAC did it.

- They say that "content is king" and bringing in FB-Only schools is probably the #1 way of negotiating the travel concerns to get NDSU & SDSU into FBS. A hybrid league is a viable way of expanding viewership and brand in areas that aren't being served. A BE pod can even use similar branding as the basketball league.

- The current CUSA9 already has a respectable basketball product. They don't have to water that down to elevate schools in their region (like a KSU or EKU).

- Something like this is so much better than the MAC.

- Perhaps giving UMass that last NBE spot would be great in conjunction with this.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2022 01:33 AM by TroyTBoy.)
03-08-2022 01:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams
RE: Can the NBE start FBS Football, as 1 pod in a (WAC-inspired) 16-team CUSA?
(03-08-2022 01:19 AM)TroyTBoy Wrote:  The 16-team WAC never gets its due as a decent conference. In three years as a 16-team league, the WAC got a team to the Final Four (Utah, 1998) and saw a football team finish No. 5 in the country (BYU, 1996).

Can CUSA take the WAC pod strategy and reignite regional football in places where FBS football has been relatively weak?

IMO, CUSA could return to being a solid hybrid league - but not with a FB/BKB hybrid split.

IMO, CUSA may instead embrace the hybrid identity of All-sports combined with FB-only pods - and embrace regional football rivalries.

1. UConn
2. UMass
4. Liberty (All-Sports)

10. UTEP (All-Sports)

Mid West Pod (FB-Only)

- Would a TV deal with these brands under the same umbrella bring in more dollars than with the present all-sports 9? Football drives the revenue in media deals. This could give CUSA FB a bit more juice for the networks. A 16-team conference seems to be more standard now than it was when the WAC did it.

- They say that "content is king" and bringing in FB-Only schools is probably the #1 way of negotiating the travel concerns to get NDSU & SDSU into FBS. A hybrid league is a viable way of expanding viewership and brand in areas that aren't being served. A BE pod can even use similar branding as the basketball league.

- The current CUSA9 already has a respectable basketball product. They don't have to water that down to elevate schools in their region (like a KSU or EKU).

- Perhaps giving UMass that last NBE spot would be great in conjunction with this.

It would be fun to see something like that happen, but Villanova has ruled out a move to FBS and CUSA hasn't shown interest in UMass or UConn, so maybe something like this:

CUSA East:
1. Liberty (All-Sports)
2. Western Kentucky (All-Sports)
3. Middle Tennessee State (All-Sports)
4. Jacksonville State (All-Sports)
5. Florida International (All-Sports)
6. Louisiana Tech (All-Sports)

CUSA West:

1. New Mexico State (All-Sports)
2. UTEP (All-Sports)
3. Sam Houston State (All-Sports)
4. North Dakota State (FCS move up)
5. South Dakota State (FCS move up)
6. Missouri State or Northern Iowa (FCS move up)

That could be a pretty good and more feasible conference, and it could survive the next round of conference realignment.

03-08-2022 02:15 AM
TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

(03-08-2022 02:15 AM)Milwaukee Wrote:  Villanova has ruled out a move to FBS

Actually, Villanova did try to join the OBE/AAC football schools when Marinatto and Aresco were backfilling Pitt and Cuse but Temple blocked them from using Lincoln Financial Field.
So Villanova tried to make the jump using the Philadelphia Union's stadium but that was rejected.

IMO, Nova has a better football fanbase than UConn.

The only realistic FBS Conference that is even a remote option for those NE teams is the new CUSA. UMass desperately wants in but if CUSA wanted them it would've likely already happened. CUSA is not in any rush (they'd rather deal with the Sunbelt 3 before thinking about adding to their ranks).
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2022 04:26 AM by TroyTBoy.)
03-08-2022 03:59 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
If the Big East needed to add football to remain Division I - or join a breakaway contingent with the existing FBS - then they might consider it. UConn would have a head start, and Villanova wouldn't be that far behind them, but that's a huge outlay for most of the Big East schools.

If it ever does come to that point, we'd probably also see football teams popping up at a number of schools that don't have them, and a slew of FCS programs looking to move up. C-USA could build something more regionally appropriate if schools are forced to move.
03-08-2022 07:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(03-08-2022 03:59 AM)TroyTBoy Wrote:  

Actually, Villanova did try to join the OBE/AAC football schools when Marinatto and Aresco were backfilling Pitt and Cuse but Temple blocked them from using Lincoln Financial Field.
So Villanova tried to make the jump using the Philadelphia Union's stadium but that was rejected.

IMO, Nova has a better football fanbase than UConn.

The only realistic FBS Conference that is even a remote option for those NE teams is the new CUSA. UMass desperately wants in but if CUSA wanted them it would've likely already happened. CUSA is not in any rush (they'd rather deal with the Sunbelt 3 before thinking about adding to their ranks).
UMass wasn't desperate to join CUSA. If they were, they would be seeking an all-sports invite and leave the A-10.
03-08-2022 10:31 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(03-08-2022 01:19 AM)TroyTBoy Wrote:  Can CUSA take the WAC pod strategy and reignite regional football in places where FBS football has been relatively weak?

Do you remember what happened to the 16 team WAC?

Enough teams didn't like the set-up and split off. The exact same teams who set the whole thing up to begin with! Talk about buyer's remorse.

As a fan of a current CUSA team, I have absolutely no interest in this. Even less interest (yep, that's possible) than in the new status quo, which isn't terribly appealing but less bad than this (to me).

You've made the overall football product worse (somehow). Who would want this? Which teams out of that 16 would want to do this?
03-08-2022 10:57 AM
Advertisement

inutech Offline
All American

(03-08-2022 10:31 AM)whittx Wrote:  UMass wasn't desperate to join CUSA.

And vice versa (anymore) I hope.

All 4 actual new members are preferable to me than UMass would have been.
03-08-2022 10:59 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-08-2022 01:19 AM)TroyTBoy Wrote:  The 16-team WAC never gets its due as a decent conference. In three years as a 16-team league, the WAC got a team to the Final Four (Utah, 1998) and saw a football team finish No. 5 in the country (BYU, 1996).

1. UConn
2. UMass
4. Liberty (All-Sports)

10. UTEP (All-Sports)

Mid West Pod (FB-Only)

They need to stay as they are. Concentrate on BB it is their meal ticket.
03-08-2022 11:04 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
This is essentially C-USA adding UConn and UMass as football-only members plus several FCS call-ups.

I don't think UConn would be interested in this setup - my educated guess is that they'd rather have the flexibility of playing 3-4 P5 teams per year (which is what they've been able to do consistently) plus a few regional schools (e.g. Army, UMass, Buffalo, Temple, etc.) than be in a conference that's unquestionably worse than the AAC. This is partially about branding for UConn (similar to BYU before they got their Big 12 invite) where they just want nothing to do with any type of G5 label even if that means some rough seasons as an independent in football.

I see UConn's position on football as similar to schools like Kansas and Duke: it's a placeholder for fans and alums during the fall where it would be great if they can get to a bowl game every once in awhile, but ultimately marking time for their true passion of basketball where they're at an elite level in elite conferences. UConn would of course accept a P5 invite (even the Big 12), but short of that, I legitimately think they're a long-term independent. The G5 simply doesn't work for their institutional goals.
03-08-2022 11:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
inutech Offline
All American

(03-08-2022 11:16 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  This is essentially C-USA adding UConn and UMass as football-only members plus several FCS call-ups.

I don't think UConn would be interested in this setup - my educated guess is that they'd rather have the flexibility of playing 3-4 P5 teams per year (which is what they've been able to do consistently) plus a few regional schools (e.g. Army, UMass, Buffalo, Temple, etc.) than be in a conference that's unquestionably worse than the AAC. This is partially about branding for UConn (similar to BYU before they got their Big 12 invite) where they just want nothing to do with any type of G5 label even if that means some rough seasons as an independent in football.

I see UConn's position on football as similar to schools like Kansas and Duke: it's a placeholder for fans and alums during the fall where it would be great if they can get to a bowl game every once in awhile, but ultimately marking time for their true passion of basketball where they're at an elite level in elite conferences. UConn would of course accept a P5 invite (even the Big 12), but short of that, I legitimately think they're a long-term independent. The G5 simply doesn't work for their institutional goals.

And vice versa! You'd have to consider them for all sports, but who would want UConn football only?

Like you said - essentially UConn and UMass football only (blah) plus a bunch more FCS call-ups (maybe fine, but we're already doing that with 2 more than you'd normally prefer). How does that help anyone (except maybe an FCS school that wants to be FBS)?
03-08-2022 12:00 PM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
I am strongly against football affiliates. UMASS tried to get in but was rejected. I could live with them for all sports but am not in favor of it. Their basketball isn’t that great anyway. UCONN isn’t giving up the Big East so that isn’t even a discussion.

I also don’t want non-football members.

I don’t see how this helps CUSA at all.
03-08-2022 02:11 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
This doesn’t make any sense.
03-08-2022 02:58 PM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
(03-08-2022 11:04 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  

1. UConn
2. UMass
4. Liberty (All-Sports)

10. UTEP (All-Sports)

Mid West Pod (FB-Only)

They need to stay as they are. Concentrate on BB it is their meal ticket.

I can't remember who posted it on here, but there was a recent thread discussing how NDSU has made it known that they would only move up to FBS if they got an invite to the Mountain West, which I don't see happening. Missouri State could have interest in moving up to FBS too, but I don't see any of the Dakotas schools, UNI, getting tapped to join CUSA. Villanova has no real incentive to leave the CAA and move up in football, CUSA wasn't interested in UMass as a football-only member from what I've read. If CUSA wants to expand further I would think they'd want to take another Texas FCS school (Stephen F. Austin or Lamar maybe), Missouri State, and either Eastern Kentucky or Kennesaw State. For example:

CUSA East: Liberty, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Jacksonville State, Kennesaw State, FIU.

CUSA West: New Mexico State, UTEP, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Missouri State, Louisiana Tech.

16 teams seems too unwieldy, even if with a couple FB-only members.
03-08-2022 03:11 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
That in no way looks anything like the WAC 16.
03-08-2022 05:38 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
I actually like how Milwaukee thinks
03-08-2022 05:54 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(03-08-2022 02:15 AM)Milwaukee Wrote:  

1. UConn
2. UMass
4. Liberty (All-Sports)

10. UTEP (All-Sports)

Mid West Pod (FB-Only)

It would be fun to see something like that happen, but Villanova has ruled out a move to FBS and CUSA hasn't shown interest in UMass or UConn, so maybe something like this:

CUSA East:
1. Liberty (All-Sports)

CUSA West:

2. UTEP (All-Sports)

That could be a pretty good and more feasible conference, and it could survive the next round of conference realignment.

No question that ^ survives conference realignment.
03-08-2022 06:20 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

(snip)

One of the animating, heck arguably the animating, idea behind the new Big East was a desire to get away from the headaches of the hybrid model involving football.

So no, I don't think there's any impetus for that in the nBE.
03-08-2022 06:25 PM
TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

(03-08-2022 02:15 AM)Milwaukee Wrote:  

1. UConn
2. UMass
4. Liberty (All-Sports)

10. UTEP (All-Sports)

Mid West Pod (FB-Only)

CUSA East:
1. Liberty (All-Sports)

CUSA West:

2. UTEP (All-Sports)

^^^

I do like that too.
03-08-2022 11:23 PM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams
(03-08-2022 03:59 AM)TroyTBoy Wrote:  

That is a very different version of the history of what happened than the one I am familiar with, and I have followed Philadelphia sports fairly closely.

You got the first and last parts of the story right: The Big East definitely did try to persuade Villanova to upgrade to FBS so that they could join the conference as an all-sports member.

However, Temple did not "block" Villanova from using Lincoln Financial Field ("the Linc"):

1. Temple couldn't have possibly "blocked" Villanova from using the Linc, because all Temple has is a rental agreement to play 6 home games at the Linc per season. The only authorities that could have blocked Villanova would have been the Philadelphia Eagles or the City of Philadelphia.

2. The reason Villanova didn't see the Linc as being a viable home field is that, because Temple already had a pre-existing contract to play at the Linc., Villanova would have had to schedule their games around both the Eagles and the Temple Owls's schedules.

---It's possible that some Villanova fans might have blamed Temple for "blocking" them from playing in the Linc., but Temple simply had a pre-existing agreement with the Eagles to play their games at the Linc. Thus, Temple never tried to "block" Villanova from playing any of their games there.

---Notably, the Eagles' owner, Jeff Lurie, has made it abundantly evident that he is extremely reluctant to have any college teams, including Temple, playing on his NFL team's home field. This fact may have further discouraged Villanova from trying to play any home games there.

3. Villanova could, however, have chosen to schedule some FBS games at the Linc., some at the University of Pennsylvania's (FCS) Franklin Field (capacity>40,000; former home of the Eagles).

4. Thus, Villanova definitely could have transitioned to FBS, and they still could, but they have chosen not to. They could have played some games at the Linc, some at Penn's Franklin Field, and some at the Philadelphia Union's field or the Philadelphia Phillies baseball Stadium.

5. The real reason why Villanova decided not to make the transition to FBS is that the cost of doing so would have been excessive, since the Big East football schools didn't receive sufficient revenue to make it possible for Villanova to pay all the necessary costs to support an FBS team.

6. Attendance: Villanova's FCS attendance has only tended to range between 5,000 and 13,000 per game. For example, in 2021, their attendance ranged between 3,401 (playoff game vs. S. Dakota State) and 12,001 per game. Even if they could double that level of attendance, their average attendance would only range from 7,000 to 24,000 per game.

Villanova could make the transition to FBS at any time, but they have chosen not to do so, because the cost of doing so would be prohibitive, given their current levels of attendance and fan support.

The false impression that Temple "blocked" Villanova may easily have resulted from the fact that, with Temple already having their home games scheduled there, Villanova would have had to work around both the Eagles and Owls' schedules, which would have caused some blockage, even though Temple's scheduling was in no way designed to "block" Villanova, nor could it have been.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2022 02:05 AM by Milwaukee.)
03-09-2022 01:26 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(03-08-2022 11:16 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I see UConn's position on football as similar to schools like Kansas and Duke: it's a placeholder for fans and alums during the fall where it would be great if they can get to a bowl game every once in awhile, but ultimately marking time for their true passion of basketball where they're at an elite level in elite conferences. UConn would of course accept a P5 invite (even the Big 12), but short of that, I legitimately think they're a long-term independent. The G5 simply doesn't work for their institutional goals.
Agree with all of this, but it omits that Duke/Kansas-type programs are getting a lot of money/exposure to continue with their FBS-level football program, and have legit chances to be non-terrible and make lower/middle bowl games if they get the right HC. UConn football has none of that going for it, and there’s no real indication that it ever will.
03-09-2022 08:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.