Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the new Big 12 going to sign a new GOR?
random asian guy Online
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
Is the new Big 12 going to sign a new GOR?
I don’t know if this was discussed before but I’m curious if the new Big 12 is going to sign a GOR for the next media deal.

As we all know, every school has to agree to sign the GOR and a school usually signs only if it believe no realistcially better option is available. So schools like ISU and BYU, which are fine schools but not very attractive to the P4, will most likely want the GOR while schools like TTU or Kansas, which may receive an invitation from the Pac or the BIG if they decide to expand, will have some reservation.

So what do you think? The GOR is a no brianer or some schools will veto? If latter, which school(s)?

Of course this is assuming no further poaching by other conferences until 2025, which I think is still possible.
03-07-2022 07:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
RE: Is the new Big 12 going to sign a new GOR?
Texas Tech is very optimistic if it thinks the Big Ten or Pac-12 would want to add them.
03-07-2022 07:12 PM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
I would guess no
03-07-2022 07:21 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If they do, it would be unwise to sign a long one.
03-07-2022 07:38 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(03-07-2022 07:01 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  I don’t know if this was discussed before but I’m curious if the new Big 12 is going to sign a GOR for the next media deal.

As we all know, every school has to agree to sign the GOR and a school usually signs only if it believe no realistcially better option is available.

So what happens if Kansas won't sign?
03-07-2022 07:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
The answer is almost certainly they will have a GOR for the duration of their TV contract, provided it's north of say $15m per year for each school. Don't sign you don't get anything. So they will all sign.
03-07-2022 08:55 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
I wouldn't sign one.

What are they going to do? Boot you?

Nobody in that league is genuinely expendable, but also hard to argue anyone leaving makes the conference unstable.

It would be like the AAC signing a GOR. Yeah, someone might leave eventually, but there's no motivation to limit your options if you're in the current Big 12.
03-07-2022 09:43 PM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
(03-07-2022 09:43 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I wouldn't sign one.

What are they going to do? Boot you?

Nobody in that league is genuinely expendable, but also hard to argue anyone leaving makes the conference unstable.

It would be like the AAC signing a GOR. Yeah, someone might leave eventually, but there's no motivation to limit your options if you're in the current Big 12.

Does anyone know if the leagues bylaws are public? I’m curious what they say about voting on an issue like a GOR — is unanimity required, or just a supermajority?
03-07-2022 09:51 PM
random asian guy Online
All American

(03-07-2022 07:12 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  Texas Tech is very optimistic if it thinks the Big Ten or Pac-12 would want to add them.

If the Pac 12 decides to expand, which non P4 teams would it pursue? I think Texas Tech would be high on the list.
03-08-2022 01:05 AM
random asian guy Online
All American

(03-07-2022 07:46 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  
(03-07-2022 07:01 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  I don’t know if this was discussed before but I’m curious if the new Big 12 is going to sign a GOR for the next media deal.

As we all know, every school has to agree to sign the GOR and a school usually signs only if it believe no realistcially better option is available.

So what happens if Kansas won't sign?

Then the new Big 12 won’t have the GOR. Every single member has to sign. My understanding is basically each member school enters into a contract with the conference by giving up the media right. That’s why the GOR is much more stronger than the exit fee, which usually can be imposed by majority.
03-08-2022 01:15 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
None of the Eastern schools should sign as a spot could always open in the ACC with a defection or plus ND.

The remaining Midwest schools may be more willing except Kansas. BYU would probably sign it too. So I’d say 4 no votes from UCF, UC, WVU, Kansas at the very least.

Honestly don’t think any other of the 8 should sign until the PAC12 signs its new TV deal.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2022 04:05 AM by RUScarlets.)
03-08-2022 04:04 AM
Advertisement

TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy The Boy
(03-07-2022 08:55 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  The answer is almost certainly they will have a GOR for the duration of their TV contract, provided it's north of say $15m per year for each school. Don't sign you don't get anything. So they will all sign.

The Big 12 is also a clear cut #3 in football and #1 in basketball.

If there is a need for a GOR, they'll sign one.

The ACC signed one out of fear of losing more teams (to quell the fears of the networks).

This is more of a networks-driven piece, since they will know what they are buying.

The problem with the ACC (in regards to the Big 12's equation) is they signed a very bad long-term deal.
03-08-2022 04:57 AM
TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

(03-08-2022 04:04 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  None of the Eastern schools should sign as a spot could always open in the ACC with a defection or plus ND.

The ACC's deal is not good.

That's a big reason why they're trying to corner Notre Dame into all-sports. A ND is the only kind of addition that can get the networks back to the negotiating table.

It's a bigger stretch than the Grand Canyon to argue that the money is there for a 16th team with a cut of the ACC deal.

The Big 12 is a higher rated P5 conference with fewer teams.

A GOR depends on the media partner, as it was with the ACC - who was in danger of losing more teams.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2022 05:04 AM by TroyTBoy.)
03-08-2022 05:02 AM
TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

A better question is whether the ACC will successfully leverage Notre Dame to give up their independence so they can renegotiate that awful TV deal.

There is a reason the ACC was so dead set against CFP expansion. They wanted to get back to the network negotiating table.

The ACC is tied up through 2035-36. That's horrific in the current evolving media environment. They are literally in a media straight jacket.

The expanded Big 12 is outperforming the ACC in the major revenue sports. My guess is they will learn from the ACC's predicament.

[Image: aHR0cHM6Ly91bmQuY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBs...S5wbmc.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2022 05:16 AM by TroyTBoy.)
03-08-2022 05:11 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2022 05:02 AM)TroyTBoy Wrote:  
(03-08-2022 04:04 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  None of the Eastern schools should sign as a spot could always open in the ACC with a defection or plus ND.

The ACC's deal is not good.

That's a big reason why they're trying to corner Notre Dame into all-sports. A ND is the only kind of addition that can get the networks back to the negotiating table.

It's a bigger stretch than the Grand Canyon to argue that the money is there for a 16th team with a cut of the ACC deal.

The Big 12 is a higher rated P5 conference with fewer teams.

A GOR depends on the media partner, as it was with the ACC - who was in danger of losing more teams.

The Big 12 is not a higher rated P5 by any stretch. On the field/court performance counts for very little at the higher echelons of the sport. There is simply no marketability for the remaining Big 12 schools relative to the ACC. It’s just a conglomerate of the best of the rest from the Big 8 Southwest and former Big East.

I’d say if both conferences went to the negotiating table today the ACC would get 5 million more per school in a 14 team ACC than a 12 team Big 12. And while that wouldn’t make up for immediate exit penalties, it would still be worth considering if Big 12 schools had offers to jump.
03-08-2022 05:33 AM
TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

(03-08-2022 05:33 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  On the field/court performance counts for very little at the higher echelons of the sport.

You just jumped the shark.

On the field/court counts for a ton. It's the basis for brand. Success on the field has buoyed Clemson and the lack of it has been dry rot for the rest of the ACC.

You are a Rutgers fan. Rutgers was the least successful of the AAC move-ups. Rutgers addition was solely based on a market.

The Big 12 has added teams in recruiting areas that have supported NY6/BCS/CFP success.

Those schools are positioned to be greater P5 additions than Rutgers was. Unfortunately for the B1G, the media market paradigm changed a bit after Rutgers was taken from the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2022 05:52 AM by TroyTBoy.)
03-08-2022 05:43 AM
Advertisement

TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

(03-08-2022 05:33 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  I’d say if both conferences went to the negotiating table today the ACC would get 5 million more per school in a 14 team ACC than a 12 team Big 12.

By most reports the expanded Big 12 is poised to do very well when it goes to market. BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston offer a great deal more as P5 entities than most of the schools who were Grandfathered in.

Rutgers isn't even a Grandfather, so it's funny to hear a Scarlet Knight involved in this conversation.

Your hypothetical of the two conferences going to market at the same time is a straw man. That's not how this works. The ACC is tied up until 2035.

The Big 12 will capitalize on their market a decade sooner than that.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2022 05:50 AM by TroyTBoy.)
03-08-2022 05:49 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I don’t see what Rutgers has to do with the topic at hand, but nice red herring.

You don’t think the ACC’s current value per school is not substantially higher than the current Big 12’s? Every commissioner, AD, and executive would counter otherwise. The Big 12 is looking at 25-30 million and the ACC is already ahead on a front loaded deal. That tells you everything you need to know.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2022 05:57 AM by RUScarlets.)
03-08-2022 05:54 AM
TroyTBoy Offline
1st String

(03-08-2022 05:54 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  I don’t see what Rutgers has to do with the topic at hand, but nice red herring.

You don’t think the ACC’s current value per school is not substantially higher than the current Big 12’s? Every commissioner, AD, and executive would counter otherwise. The Big 12 is looking at 25-30 million and the ACC is already ahead on a front loaded deal. That tells you everything you need to know.

You don't know what Rutgers has to do with the topic at hand?

In your last post you characterized the Big 12 as a conglomerate of the best of the rest from the Big 8 Southwest and former Big East.

Rutgers wasn't even a "Best of the rest" in the AAC.

The market will dictate the price like it always does. Performance metrics most definitely do drive interest when P5 conferences come up for bid.

By all accounts the Big 12 has been positioned well. Will there be a need for a Grant of Rights (in the way it was a driver to keep the ACC schools from fleeing)? I'm not sure that's still a thing.

Obviously the ACC felt schools were going to leave without one.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2022 06:13 AM by TroyTBoy.)
03-08-2022 06:10 AM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
The ACC is a P5. When people throw around the term P4, it's very cute, especially coming from ACC or PAC fans. There is only 1 P5 conference that has been rated worse than a G conference one year, that would be the ACC. The PAC has come close, but never did. Everyone assumes it would be the Big 12 getting taken apart........ taken apart by who, the PAC or ACC? These have the exact same problem as what happened to the Big 12 on a much grander scale.

PAC and ACC do not expand unless one or two from their conference mates get poached. As crappy as ACC performs during a down Clemson year, can you imagine what the conference would look like if Clemson plus one to three others leave? MWC may perform better after that. You think ANY big 12 team would leave for that? Big 12 is the #3 football P5 conference and the #1 basketball conference with better attendance than the ACC and PAC.

So I do not get this fascination with schools in conferences that may sit higher perception wise due to one or two name brands sitting talking about P4 and who they will poach. Those name brands that when they don't perform, bring the conference rating down so far that top G conferences compete with them.

I'm looking at VT fans, Arizona State fans etc who talk like this. Your glass floor is cracking and when is shatters, your floor will be knowhere near where the Big 12 currently is. You sit higher only on those one or two tent pole teams....... when they bolt, your floor is a true tweener conference..... and let me get you in on a hint, it won't be the #1 bball and # 3 football conference.

A bigger question through all this is whether the PAC signs a GOR. If the B1G takes Oregon, USC, Stanford, and Washington, what is left of the PAC? No Big 12 team would dream of that mess after the fire is out. The only thing that saves the ACC from these types of conversations are their GOR.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2022 07:01 AM by otown.)
03-08-2022 06:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.