Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NC State
Bookmark and Share
geewizNU Offline
All American

I Root For: Northeastern
NC State
NU heads back south to Raleigh, NC to visit #4 NC State in a 3-game series.
The teams will play Friday at 3 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m

NU will heads into this series just 3-5 and only batting .244 as a team, while the Wolfpack are battling .371 with 19 homers in just 9 games. Freshman Tommy White has 9 of those homers along with 29 RBI.

STARTING PITCHERS
Friday – RHP Sam Highfill vs. RHP Cam Schlittler
Saturday – RHP Matt Willadsen vs. RHP Sebastian Keane
Sunday – LHP David Harrison vs. RHP Wyatt Scotti

NU will have to kick it up a few notches if they want to get at least one win.

Coach Glavine preview…

https://youtu.be/xn6ZdzDM4RU
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2022 02:01 AM by geewizNU.)
03-04-2022 01:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SomebodyToLove Offline
Special Teams

RE: NC State
(03-04-2022 01:55 AM)geewizNU Wrote:  NU heads back south to Raleigh, NC to visit #4 NC State in a 3-game series.
The teams will play Friday at 3 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m

NU will heads into this series just 3-5 and only batting .244 as a team, while the Wolfpack are battling .371 with 19 homers in just 9 games. Freshman Tommy White has 9 of those homers along with 29 RBI.

STARTING PITCHERS
Friday – RHP Sam Highfill vs. RHP Cam Schlittler
Saturday – RHP Matt Willadsen vs. RHP Sebastian Keane
Sunday – LHP David Harrison vs. RHP Wyatt Scotti

NU will have to kick it up a few notches if they want to get at least one win.

Coach Glavine preview…

https://youtu.be/xn6ZdzDM4RU

Do we know what's up with Crossen?

Really would like to make improvements this weekend. NC State are ranked at #8 but haven't had a tough schedule so far. Would like to make a splash for NU
03-04-2022 03:24 PM
SomebodyToLove Offline
Special Teams

According to the broadcast seems like Crossen has a hand injury and might be back at the end of the month.

Anyway, awesome game to start the weekend! Schlittler was great. To hold arguably the top offense in the country to 3 hits and 0 runs over 8 innings was pretty epic. Bummed we missed out on the shutout with 2 outs in the 9th.

Sirota has the potential to be a really special player for NU these next few seasons.

6-1 win, keep it up Huskies!
03-04-2022 06:14 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

Huge win!

Schlittler was awesome. Still too many squandering base runners that could’ve come back to haunt us.

SIROTA. IS. A. STUD!

Lets get another win in the next few days…

I forgot to reply to your question, but yes, Crossen is out the next 3-4 weeks as he recovers from hand surgery. Catcher JP Olson is banged up too, which is why Bozzo is behind the dish (and because Teddy Beaudet has been awful with the bat).
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2022 08:01 PM by geewizNU.)
03-04-2022 08:00 PM
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

Friday highlights…

https://youtu.be/L-tuN1mIEJQ
03-05-2022 02:06 AM
SomebodyToLove Offline
Special Teams

Another win! Take the series with one game to go. Keane looked sharp and the offense was solid all around as Sirota had an off day.

This is what I was hoping for in 2022 for this team, that 3-5 start was getting me spooked.
03-05-2022 05:14 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(03-05-2022 05:14 PM)SomebodyToLove Wrote:  Another win! Take the series with one game to go. Keane looked sharp and the offense was solid all around as Sirota had an off day.

This is what I was hoping for in 2022 for this team, that 3-5 start was getting me spooked.

NU just needed a couple of weeks to get themselves together IMO. A lot of teams from the Northeast or Midwest get off the slow starts.

Soph. RH Wyatt Scotti (2-0, 0.73) is on the hill as they go for the sweep.

Kendall Rogers from D1 Baseball…
https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status...81440?s=21

Highlights…

https://youtu.be/su1izSu2F24
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022 12:21 AM by geewizNU.)
03-05-2022 10:30 PM
Advertisement

SomebodyToLove Offline
Special Teams

Wow. We completed the sweep and all of the games were fairly comfortable. Never imagined that.

Geewiz, as our NU baseball expert you must be over the moon. I definitely thank you for getting me hyped for this team over the past couple seasons and I mean I watched all 3 games on TV this weekend which I can definitely say is a first for me.
03-06-2022 02:46 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

NU completes the 3-game sweep of #8 NC State in Raleigh!

The law firm of Schlittler, Keane and Scotti didn’t allow an earned run to the vaunted Wolfpack offense in 21 innings pitched.

Dominate performance!

From Kendall Rogers of D1 Baseball…

UPSET ALERT: Man, major props to @GoNUbaseball, which hits the road and sweeps No. 8 NC State. Huskies outscored #Pack9 20-6 in three games. And Tommy White? Went 1-for-12 for the weekend with no homers. Big weekend for Glavine and Co.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022 02:49 PM by geewizNU.)
03-06-2022 02:47 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

From D1 Baseball…

https://d1baseball.com/top-stories/the-d...eek-three/

The Dean’s List: Teams Who Aced Week Three

TOP STORIES Kendall Rogers - March 6, 2022

Here’s a quick and dirty look at the teams that impressed us most in Week Two by posting strong weekends against quality competition.

Northeastern: The Huskies were the preseason favorites in the Colonial Athletic Association, so perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised by this. But they went on the road this past weekend and made a massive statement, sweeping No. 8 NC State and outscoring them 20-6 in three games. In addition to the series win, Mike Glavine’s Huskies silenced hard-hitting Tommy White. The slugger went just 1-for-10 for the weekend with … yep, no home runs.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022 12:35 AM by geewizNU.)
03-07-2022 12:33 AM
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

(03-06-2022 02:46 PM)SomebodyToLove Wrote:  Wow. We completed the sweep and all of the games were fairly comfortable. Never imagined that.

Geewiz, as our NU baseball expert you must be over the moon. I definitely thank you for getting me hyped for this team over the past couple seasons and I mean I watched all 3 games on TV this weekend which I can definitely say is a first for me.

03-thumbsup

This team is really fun to watch. I know folks in the Northeast don’t care about college baseball, but I have since I was 13.

Glavine is really building something and it’s not only getting noticed nationally but even in Boston. WBZ, FOX 25 and WHDH have all been at Friedman Diamond the last few years.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2022 12:42 AM by geewizNU.)
03-07-2022 12:41 AM
geewizNU Offline
All American

From Baseball America…

Off The Bat: Week 3 Delivers Thrilling Weekend Of College Baseball

By Teddy Cahill

Here are 12 thoughts on the weekend that was in college baseball.

7. For Northeastern (6-5), the weekend couldn’t have gone better. The Huskies had mixed results the first two weeks of the season but were locked in from the start in Raleigh. They scored three runs in the top of the first inning Friday and never trailed in the series.

Starters Cam Schlittler (8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K), Sebastian Keane (6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K) and Wyatt Scotti (7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K) led the way for the Huskies and lived up to their billing as a premium rotation. Closer Dennis Colleran threw in each of the first two games and held NC State to one run in two innings.

Northeastern, the reigning CAA champion, proved this weekend it can play with anyone in the country and banked a marquee weekend for its NCAA Tournament resume. It gets another opportunity this week with a trip to Clemson.
03-07-2022 03:05 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Congrats Huskies! That is a nice accomplishment
03-09-2022 09:56 AM
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

(03-09-2022 09:56 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Congrats Huskies! That is a nice accomplishment

03-thumbsup
03-09-2022 03:11 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

From D1 Baseball…

https://d1baseball.com/columns/underdog-...theastern/

Underdog Of The Week: Northeastern

COLUMNS Eric Sorenson - March 9, 2022

You remember Good Will Hunting right?

That’s the movie where Matt Damon and Ben Affleck play inner city Bostonian proletariat types who have a rivalry with the rich, snobby Harvard types in town. They were rough hewn, hardscrabble scamps with a sizable chip on their shoulders and were highly motivated to put it in the faces of their rich rivals.

You want to know about another group of Bostonians who would’ve been perfect “central casting” for that Good Will Hunting movie? The Northeastern Huskies baseball team. Coach Mike Glavine is used to having a program with a chip on its shoulder and playing like they’ve got a point to prove. And that’s just what they did this past weekend, going down to Raleigh, North Carolina and taking three straight from the eighth-ranked North Carolina State Wolfpack. And I mean, winning all three games comfortably by multiple runs (6-1, 8-5 and 6-0) against the College World Series alums.

Most importantly, the freshman phenom, Tommy Tanks, ended up going just 1-for-12 with no home runs on the weekend as the Huskies won all three games by a combined 20-6 count.

In other words, they went up to the window at the bar and asked the Pack, “Hey, you like apples?… I got her number. How you like them apples?”

Let’s do some quick-hit questions with Northeastern head coach Mike Glavine.

– Okay, first off, I’ve got a dumb question for you. How do you guys always seem to be so good?

“I’m glad you say that, I appreciate that. I think there is a certain formula we try to work with. We have that Northern type of attitude and we have some toughness and a little chip on our shoulder and as coaches we leverage those things to our advantage. We just try to find those hard-nose kind of players. You know, I’m probably not easy to play for. I think I probably have a hockey mentality as a baseball coach. I don’t want to sell our players talent short but maybe we get that type of player that has toughness and they’re raw, maybe not as polished as other players and then we try to work as hard as we can to get them to be the best they can be. And now I’d like to think that we are a program where we are sort of reloading every year, not rebuilding.”

- What were you hoping to see from your team before you went down to N.C. State?

“I really just wanted to see our guys compete. That’s a coaching cliche’ I know, but I just didn’t want to see them back down. I didn’t want to see them be in awe of the situation or of the facility or who we were playing or their ranking, all that stuff. I just wanted to see them compete and be like the team that we see every day in practice, and we were able to do that this past weekend. We have a lot of new faces but we wanted to protect our culture about being a blue-collar team that’s hard to play against and relentless in all phases of the game. A weekend like last weekend just kind shows what we can do if we put it all together.”

– Okay, you won the first game 6-1. What did you say to your team after that first win?

“Didn’t say much, honestly. I just said ‘Hey, great win. You know, anybody can do it once and we’ve never won a series against a top ten opponent.’ I was really sorry that they didn’t get to enjoy it too much (laughs…). I’m always kind of trying to needle them a little bit and I’m sure it gets annoying. But you know, they came out the next day and again just played really well and put successful back to back days together which was really exciting to see.”

– You guys never trailed the entire weekend at N.C. State. What did that do for your team’s confidence going forward?

“I think we needed this for our confidence, yes. I felt before this weekend we were playing tentative and unsure the first couple of weekends. We talked about finding our identity this weekend and the last thing I said was that we wanted to be a team that was fun to watch. We seemed a little tight the first couple of weekends and I thought this was the perfect opportunity for us to just go out there and play well and find our identity. We needed to show that we could play at a high level and that built our confidence and I thought we just went out there and played like a fun team to watch.”

– I know it’s only been a couple weeks, but what do you like most about this team?

“I like our speed. I like how we got a lot of new faces and how they just kind of fit right into our culture. We’ve got three freshman in particular that are really stepping in right away here and having a huge impact in Mike Sirota (team-leading .408 average), Justin Bosland (.268, 8-of-9 stolen bases) on the offensive side and Dennis Colleran (0-1, 2.16, .103 OBA) on the mound. I love the work ethic of this team, how enthusiastic they are and the fact that they love to play. I love how we have a few obstacles here to overcome. For instance, we haven’t had the use of our indoor facility for two years now because of Covid. But here our guys are hopping on busses at 6:30 in the morning and going to indoor practice facilities every morning because we have high schools that use these facilities in the afternoon and evening. We just had to structure our class schedules so that they have classes in the afternoon. They just have this don’t-give-a-crap attitude and that we’ll just overcome it and figure it out. That’s what I love about these guys.”

– Now you’ve gotta turn around and go down to Clemson this weekend, who just swept South Carolina. What’s your feelings going into this weekend?

“Yeah, who put this schedule together right? Ha ha. No rest for the weary here, I can’t really sit back and enjoy this past weekend. We’re going into another juggernaut here in Clemson and I kind of like taking this team to different places, right. Obviously these types of challenges and going to Clemson, it’s obviously a program that has incredible history and a beautiful facility and they’ve got an awesome team. So it’s going to be a huge challenge. To me, it’s a no brainer in a sense because we get to expose our guys to another tough environment against one of the best teams in the country and find ways to get better. My attitude is ‘let’s try to go toe-to-toe and try to battle and play as hard as we can and get better from it.’”

###
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2022 03:18 PM by geewizNU.)
03-09-2022 03:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.