Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men’s Basketball: Losing Dead Weight
Bookmark and Share
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Men’s Basketball: Losing Dead Weight
Maybe the dead weight is me?
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2022 10:14 PM by holybovine.)
03-01-2022 08:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: Men’s Basketball: Losing Dead Weight
(03-01-2022 08:59 PM)holybovine Wrote:  Nate Scott
Monty Scott
Tom Binelli
Derek Ballard
Axel Okongo

Five scholarships that can be put to better use with MAC-level players. If Heath can do that while keeping his underclassmen in place, next year will be exciting/competitive.
Ballard has another year. Add Spotts to your list though.
03-01-2022 09:02 PM
Luckeyone Online
Heisman

(03-01-2022 09:04 PM)holybovine Wrote:  Spotts can play. Unlike the others, he will be a loss.

I don’t expect Ballard back.

I hope you’re right! I really enjoyed watching Spottsville play. This kid gave everything he had for the team and left everything on the floor. Well done Spottsville! Bravo!!
03-01-2022 11:39 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(03-01-2022 08:59 PM)holybovine Wrote:  Nate Scott
Monty Scott
Tom Binelli
Derek Ballard
Axel Okongo

Five scholarships that can be put to better use with MAC-level players. If Heath can do that while keeping his underclassmen in place, next year will be exciting/competitive.

Except that Nate Monty and Spotts started because they were apparently better than the other players on the roster.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2022 07:55 AM by emu79.)
03-02-2022 05:43 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Monty’s regression was such a massive disappointment. I’m sure Miggy would have a laundry list of reasons, but the fact of the matter is we needed him to be good in order for us to be competitive, and he simply wasn’t. His defense in MAC play was poor, and he never seemed to want to be aggressive with the ball. Once McBride got hurt, Monty had a chance to shine and nothing changed.

Nate Scott played his ass off, and even though his offense tailed off at the end of the season, he still worked hard defensively. Like Spottsville, he’s probably a mere rotation player on a good team, but was thrust into a larger role because we didn’t have any talent to supplant him. The difference being Darion improved while Nate regressed.

I’m curious to see how Heath attacks this offseason. He gets an obvious pass for this season, but we need to see some improvement next year. Making the MAC tournament should be the goal, and to get there we need to find better players in the portal that can be effective while our young guys continue to improve. And we need Noah and McBride to stay healthy.
03-02-2022 07:31 AM
Advertisement

truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

I've been saying this all year: Darion is a fine player. If he's a regular in your rotation you can be a VERY good team. If he's one of your best players you're in trouble.

He was one of our best players this year. Our record reflects that.
Though I will say: his improvement as an offensive player under Heath was noticeable.

I'd be interested in knowing how Ballard's scholarship situation is going into his final year of eligibility. He was a walk-on turned scholarship guy under the previous regime. Does Heath have to honor that until he's officially done?
03-02-2022 09:32 AM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(03-02-2022 02:31 PM)holybovine Wrote:  
(03-02-2022 09:32 AM)truEMU07 Wrote:  I've been saying this all year: Darion is a fine player. If he's a regular in your rotation you can be a VERY good team. If he's one of your best players you're in trouble.

He was one of our best players this year. Our record reflects that.
Though I will say: his improvement as an offensive player under Heath was noticeable.

I'd be interested in knowing how Ballard's scholarship situation is going into his final year of eligibility. He was a walk-on turned scholarship guy under the previous regime. Does Heath have to honor that until he's officially done?

Heath does not have to honor Ballard’s scholarship next year. Ballard has already graduated, so EMU only has to bring him back if the team wants to.

It’s time for a firm handshake goodbye.

I don't know that a goodbye is necessary. Perhaps a "you can stay if you please but your scholarship is going elsewhere." I don't know the specifics of the MBA program he's in (according to his bio), but I'd imagine if he didn't take part in the Senior Day the plan is him coming back.

With Ballard's strong academic and team-first attitude he would be a great guy to keep around and show others the ropes. Especially if we have as large of an incoming class as we anticipate.
03-02-2022 02:53 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
(03-02-2022 07:31 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Monty’s regression was such a massive disappointment. I’m sure Miggy would have a laundry list of reasons, but the fact of the matter is we needed him to be good in order for us to be competitive, and he simply wasn’t. His defense in MAC play was poor, and he never seemed to want to be aggressive with the ball. Once McBride got hurt, Monty had a chance to shine and nothing changed.

Nate Scott played his ass off, and even though his offense tailed off at the end of the season, he still worked hard defensively. Like Spottsville, he’s probably a mere rotation player on a good team, but was thrust into a larger role because we didn’t have any talent to supplant him. The difference being Darion improved while Nate regressed.

I’m curious to see how Heath attacks this offseason. He gets an obvious pass for this season, but we need to see some improvement next year. Making the MAC tournament should be the goal, and to get there we need to find better players in the portal that can be effective while our young guys continue to improve. And we need Noah and McBride to stay healthy.

With regard to Monty, agree with every point you make. No excuses. Very disappointed in his play. He’s far better then he showed.
03-03-2022 01:22 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(03-03-2022 01:22 PM)Miggy Wrote:  
(03-02-2022 07:31 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Monty’s regression was such a massive disappointment. I’m sure Miggy would have a laundry list of reasons, but the fact of the matter is we needed him to be good in order for us to be competitive, and he simply wasn’t. His defense in MAC play was poor, and he never seemed to want to be aggressive with the ball. Once McBride got hurt, Monty had a chance to shine and nothing changed.

With regard to Monty, agree with every point you make. No excuses. Very disappointed in his play. He’s far better then he showed.

I don't think we know the full story. He was a starter and our second best player prior to testing positive for Covid. In his first game back versus Bowling Green, he clearly was a shell of himself and his starts and minutes were severely reduced after that. From second best player to fifth best guard is precipitous decline that begs for greater explanation.

One thing I do know, first-half Monte allowed us to win some games that we would not have with the second-half version of himself.
03-03-2022 06:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.