CAA Tournament Pregame
Starting a catchall CAA tournament thread for non UNCW games

Here is what we are looking at

#8 William and Mary v #9 Northeastern

#1 UNCW/Towson v #8/9 Winner
#2 UNCW/Towson v #7 Elon
#3 Hofstra v #6 Charleston
#4 Drexel/Delaware v #5 Drexel/Delaware

Charleston let another one slip away late and lost to Drexel. Now they will be the 6th seed and have to take on Hofstra in the first round. They get a practice game against each other ironically on Monday.

Delaware Towson is the one to watch. Instead of Towson forfeiting due to their poor court, they get a chance to rally with a fresh mindset of winning the #1 seed. Super fair but it is what it is. Delaware is in the 4-5 game regardless, but will be the 5 seed if they lose and finished tied with Drexel since Drexel beat Towson.

Big game Monday at 6.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 02:18 PM by solohawks.)
02-26-2022 06:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
RE: CAA Tournament plus Monday games
I do not want UNCW playing Elon after they destroyed Hofstra and manhandled us last time. Just not a good matchup. Best news is we can't face Towson until the final game.
02-26-2022 06:44 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
With Delaware having nothing to play for, there’s little stopping them from giving their guys some rest down the stretch to prep for their first CAA tournament game. I just don’t see them holding onto that one. Hope I’m wrong.

Either way, very glad we won today to put the pressure squarely on Towson, and clinch at least a share of the regular season title. What an awesome season it’s been for Siddle and the guys in year 2 of his tenure.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2022 06:49 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-26-2022 06:48 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

If Towson does win on Monday, the CAA Tournament will have to be the UNCW Revenge Tour 2022. Having to beat every team that beat us
02-26-2022 08:24 PM
Hall of Famer

(02-26-2022 08:24 PM)solohawks Wrote:  If Towson does win on Monday, the CAA Tournament will have to be the UNCW Revenge Tour 2022. Having to beat every team that beat us

Sounds good to me! Securing the NIT autobid means infinitely more to me than whatever our path to the Tournament Title ends up being. Having it end up a revenge tour makes it even better.

Go a$$-kickin’ chickens.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2022 08:59 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-26-2022 08:59 PM
triangleseahawk919 Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-26-2022 06:48 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  With Delaware having nothing to play for, there’s little stopping them from giving their guys some rest down the stretch to prep for their first CAA tournament game. I just don’t see them holding onto that one. Hope I’m wrong.

Either way, very glad we won today to put the pressure squarely on Towson, and clinch at least a share of the regular season title. What an awesome season it’s been for Siddle and the guys in year 2 of his tenure.

With the rut Delaware is currently in, I don’t see them mailing it in Monday. They have to try to get things going before heading to DC. Additionally, it’s only 18 minutes worth of action. I imagine we will all know by the first media timeout in the resumption what way that one is headed.
02-26-2022 10:51 PM
Advertisement

billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

They are up 9 going in correct? That would be awesome if they hang on and win that game.
02-26-2022 11:02 PM
triangleseahawk919 Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-26-2022 11:02 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  They are up 9 going in correct? That would be awesome if they hang on and win that game.

Yes, believe they’re up 9 with 18:30 left or so.
02-26-2022 11:08 PM
All American

A trio of Ryan Allen 3 balls would be good early in the 2nd half.
02-26-2022 11:11 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

CAA Tournament plus Monday games
(02-26-2022 10:51 PM)triangleseahawk919 Wrote:  
(02-26-2022 06:48 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  With Delaware having nothing to play for, there’s little stopping them from giving their guys some rest down the stretch to prep for their first CAA tournament game. I just don’t see them holding onto that one. Hope I’m wrong.

With the rut Delaware is currently in, I don’t see them mailing it in Monday. They have to try to get things going before heading to DC. Additionally, it’s only 18 minutes worth of action. I imagine we will all know by the first media timeout in the resumption what way that one is headed.

I said the same thing in a separate conversation yesterday. First 5 mins of this game will be crucial in determining which way it’s headed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-27-2022 07:52 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(02-27-2022 07:52 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-26-2022 10:51 PM)triangleseahawk919 Wrote:  

I said the same thing in a separate conversation yesterday. First 5 mins of this game will be crucial in determining which way it’s headed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has there ever been anything comparable to this in regular season CAA history? I can't think of it.

An 18 minute matchup, the outcome of which determines an automatic postseason tournament bid?
02-27-2022 08:22 AM
Advertisement

EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
(02-26-2022 06:44 PM)82hawk Wrote:  I do not want UNCW playing Elon after they destroyed Hofstra and manhandled us last time. Just not a good matchup. Best news is we can't face Towson until the final game.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's unusual for fans to want their team to get the 1 because they're worried about losing to the 7.

(02-26-2022 08:24 PM)solohawks Wrote:  If Towson does win on Monday, the CAA Tournament will have to be the UNCW Revenge Tour 2022. Having to beat every team that beat us
That assumes Hofstra will win their Quarterfinal, and Towson will win their Quarterfinal and Semifinal.

(02-27-2022 08:22 AM)70shawk Wrote:  Has there ever been anything comparable to this in regular season CAA history? I can't think of it.

An 18 minute matchup, the outcome of which determines an automatic postseason tournament bid?
Towson would get invited to the NIT, CIT, or CBI even if they lose Monday and in the Quarterfinals.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2022 03:53 PM by EvanJ.)
02-27-2022 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
All American

(02-27-2022 03:49 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  
(02-26-2022 06:44 PM)82hawk Wrote:  I do not want UNCW playing Elon after they destroyed Hofstra and manhandled us last time. Just not a good matchup. Best news is we can't face Towson until the final game.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's unusual for fans to want their team to get the 1 because they're worried about losing to the 7.

That assumes Hofstra will win their Quarterfinal, and Towson will win their Quarterfinal and Semifinal.

(02-27-2022 08:22 AM)70shawk Wrote:  Has there ever been anything comparable to this in regular season CAA history? I can't think of it.

Towson would get invited to the NIT, CIT, or CBI even if they lose Monday and in the Quarterfinals.

I was thinking that also. UNCW is finally a good team again playing like a NIT/ NCAA team but took too long to get it together. At least they figured it out very nicely. You rarely see something like that.
02-27-2022 04:01 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(02-27-2022 03:49 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  

Not unusual at all. Besides the fact we would get the auto NIT bid, Elon is a tough matchup for UNCW. Pretty reasonable thought process atually.
02-27-2022 04:03 PM
Hall of Famer

(02-27-2022 03:49 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's unusual for fans to want their team to get the 1 because they're worried about losing to the 7.

Unusual, maybe. Justified? Absolutely. Elon has been a nightmare for us dating back to the first year of the Keatts era, and had us completely flummoxed this year in the matchup @ Elon.

And after a CAA season where anyone could knock off anyone at any time, even when it made no logical sense for that to happen, matchups are paramount.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2022 04:05 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-27-2022 04:04 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Charleston and Hofstra playing in a meaningless game tonight before their Sunday QF matchup against each other.

I would rest my starters and not risk any injury, treat it like an NFL preseason game
02-28-2022 01:52 PM
Advertisement

70shawk Offline
All American

(02-28-2022 01:52 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Charleston and Hofstra playing in a meaningless game tonight before their Sunday QF matchup against each other.

I would rest my starters and not risk any injury, treat it like an NFL preseason game

Wouldn't it be something if their respective coaches had a little "chat" before the game and came to some understandings , a la preseason scrimmages, about how things unfold? Not saying a scripted game, but maybe something like "I will rest A, B, and C if you rest X,Y, and Z". Oh, and nobody needs to get hurt....
02-28-2022 02:59 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-28-2022 02:59 PM)70shawk Wrote:  
(02-28-2022 01:52 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Charleston and Hofstra playing in a meaningless game tonight before their Sunday QF matchup against each other.

Wouldn't it be something if their respective coaches had a little "chat" before the game and came to some understandings , a la preseason scrimmages, about how things unfold? Not saying a scripted game, but maybe something like "I will rest A, B, and C if you rest X,Y, and Z". Oh, and nobody needs to get hurt....

Let guys that would never get to play otherwise play tonight as a thank you.

There is literally no consequence for either team if they lose.
02-28-2022 03:06 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

(02-28-2022 03:06 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(02-28-2022 02:59 PM)70shawk Wrote:  

Let guys that would never get to play otherwise play tonight as a thank you.

Sure, why not? And if both coaches had a gentleman's agreement to do so, then no one would be throwing the game.
02-28-2022 03:32 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-28-2022 03:32 PM)70shawk Wrote:  
(02-28-2022 03:06 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Let guys that would never get to play otherwise play tonight as a thank you.

Sure, why not? And if both coaches had a gentleman's agreement to do so, then no one would be throwing the game.

Do you need an agreement? Pro teams rest their starters all the time. Some even actively tank
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2022 04:08 PM by solohawks.)
02-28-2022 04:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.