Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fickell Interview
Bookmark and Share
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Fickell Interview
Those of you with an Athletic Subscription are familiar with Justin Williams. His Fickell interview was awesome. Here's a couple snippets:

https://theathletic.com/3129742/2022/02/...=twitterhq

On being a head coach:

Quote:Even though I was defensive coordinator for a long time and had 50 guys or so, you still had this position group of 11 or 12 linebackers that you had a little bit of a closer relationship with and held expectations and accountability. So I look at it as a head coach now that my group is those assistant coaches, and you try to have that same relationship where you find ways to motivate but still have a connection.

On changing up how he dealt with position groups after year 1:

Quote:And also, after Year 1, I don’t sit in the defensive position meetings with the players anymore. I go with the quarterbacks...But I always remember back in that 2011 season at Ohio State, (Mike) Vrabel came with us and was coaching the linebackers, but as a former defensive lineman who was new at coaching, he couldn’t help himself and would be hollering at the defensive line guys all the time. And my line to him would always be, “Shut up and coach your own players.” Maybe I said it a little different, but it reminded me that too many voices for those guys is not a good thing

I know there were some people around here who implied he didn't have a good relationship with Cunningham, but everything he says indicates otherwise. There's a bunch on trust with the extension, here's a snippet:

Quote:Yeah. I’m still looking at it myself. There’s a relationship there (with John) where I knew we’ll figure and work it out, but obviously, there are some things we need to make sure we’re on the same page with. But yeah, it’s getting done.

Probably my favorite part of the interview:

Quote:And again, not just for me, but for the next 20 years. I told John the other day with the contract, there are some areas where they need to consider the big picture. Maybe it’s not helpful to me, but I want to do it with the assistant coaches too, putting something in their contract about, if you leave, do it the right way. Because programs are vulnerable with transfers and stuff. I don’t know why they don’t start thinking about that with head coaches too. There are buyouts, yes, but maybe another level so that if you leave, you gotta do it the right way or else you owe more. And the right way is protecting the program, meaning not taking kids with you and things like that.

There is a ton more than this. I don't want to post anymore because it's behind a paywall for a reason, but it's worth subscribing if you haven't. This interview was extensive and very inciteful.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2022 12:11 PM by bearcatmark.)
02-15-2022 12:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

natibeast2.0 Offline
Banned

I Root For: -
RE: Fickell Interview
He's the best coach in America aside from Saban. No doubt about it! Thanks for the info!

02-15-2022 12:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
So impressive; thanks for sharing all that. This has convinced me to subscribe to The Athletic, mostly just for Justin's UC coverage. It appears they have a subscription deal online right now for just a dollar a month for the first year. That's pretty hard to pass up.

02-15-2022 01:07 PM
Advertisement

vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-15-2022 12:10 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Those of you with an Athletic Subscription are familiar with Justin Williams. His Fickell interview was awesome. Here's a couple snippets:

On being a head coach:

Quote:Even though I was defensive coordinator for a long time and had 50 guys or so, you still had this position group of 11 or 12 linebackers that you had a little bit of a closer relationship with and held expectations and accountability. So I look at it as a head coach now that my group is those assistant coaches, and you try to have that same relationship where you find ways to motivate but still have a connection.

Quote:And also, after Year 1, I don’t sit in the defensive position meetings with the players anymore. I go with the quarterbacks...But I always remember back in that 2011 season at Ohio State, (Mike) Vrabel came with us and was coaching the linebackers, but as a former defensive lineman who was new at coaching, he couldn’t help himself and would be hollering at the defensive line guys all the time. And my line to him would always be, “Shut up and coach your own players.” Maybe I said it a little different, but it reminded me that too many voices for those guys is not a good thing

I know there were some people around here who implied he didn't have a good relationship with Cunningham, but everything he says indicates otherwise. There's a bunch on trust with the extension, here's a snippet:

Quote:Yeah. I’m still looking at it myself. There’s a relationship there (with John) where I knew we’ll figure and work it out, but obviously, there are some things we need to make sure we’re on the same page with. But yeah, it’s getting done.

Quote:And again, not just for me, but for the next 20 years. I told John the other day with the contract, there are some areas where they need to consider the big picture. Maybe it’s not helpful to me, but I want to do it with the assistant coaches too, putting something in their contract about, if you leave, do it the right way. Because programs are vulnerable with transfers and stuff. I don’t know why they don’t start thinking about that with head coaches too. There are buyouts, yes, but maybe another level so that if you leave, you gotta do it the right way or else you owe more. And the right way is protecting the program, meaning not taking kids with you and things like that.

There is a ton more than this. I don't want to post anymore because it's behind a paywall for a reason, but it's worth subscribing if you haven't. This interview was extensive and very inciteful.

I think the word you were looking for Mark is “insightful”, not “inciteful”. Good stuff, however.

02-15-2022 03:12 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
With regard to AD JC, the article also mentioned that John set the contract extension on Big Fick's desk after week 8 of the season for him to review it. Fick told him he wasn't going to look at it until after the season so he could focus on the team and the goals they had set. He trusted John that it would all work out for everyone involved - including for the assistants. Let there be no doubt that JC is on top of things folks and the relationship between the two men is iron clad. Alignment within the organization is key to the program's future. That is a bright one indeed!

02-15-2022 03:20 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
(02-15-2022 03:12 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  
(02-15-2022 12:10 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Those of you with an Athletic Subscription are familiar with Justin Williams. His Fickell interview was awesome. Here's a couple snippets:

On being a head coach:

I think the word you were looking for Mark is “insightful”, not “inciteful”. Good stuff, however.

Nonsense, the interview will cause riots.

02-15-2022 04:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.