Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Book claims Coach K picked Scheyer over Amaker as successor
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Book claims Coach K picked Scheyer over Amaker as successor
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2022 10:57 AM by Hokie4Skins.)
02-15-2022 10:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
RE: Book claims Coach K picked Scheyer over Amaker as successor
Those are fascinating takes on Coach K. The potential jealousy with Quinn Snyder; and how Snyder was able to influence Coach K to completely transform his recruiting approach. Rather than a legend or saint, Coach K seems more human…maybe Machiavellian.
02-15-2022 01:02 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(02-15-2022 01:02 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  Those are fascinating takes on Coach K. The potential jealousy with Quinn Snyder; and how Snyder was able to influence Coach K to completely transform his recruiting approach. Rather than a legend or saint, Coach K seems more human…maybe Machiavellian.

A coach can be a legend, human and Machiavellian all at the same time. Those aren't mutually exclusive attributes. I'll grant that they're rarely saints, though.
02-15-2022 01:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(02-15-2022 01:02 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  Those are fascinating takes on Coach K. The potential jealousy with Quinn Snyder; and how Snyder was able to influence Coach K to completely transform his recruiting approach. Rather than a legend or saint, Coach K seems more human…maybe Machiavellian.

If all the real information ever comes out (it won't), everyone would find out how terrible a person he truly is.
02-15-2022 01:21 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Thanks to the internet, the trashing of the reputations of successful coaches can now begin even before they have left the field/court. How many of us would avoid being judged to be terrible human beings if our lives were subjected to the same post career examination as people like Coach K?

Do they have feet of clay, or are they made of the same stuff ours are? One of the reasons those folks are so successful is that they don't give a rat's behind what we think of them. Our opinions don't (and shouldn't) count for squat.
02-15-2022 01:32 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(02-15-2022 01:32 PM)ken d Wrote:  Thanks to the internet, the trashing of the reputations of successful coaches can now begin even before they have left the field/court. How many of us would avoid being judged to be terrible human beings if our lives were subjected to the same post career examination as people like Coach K?

Do they have feet of clay, or are they made of the same stuff ours are? One of the reasons those folks are so successful is that they don't give a rat's behind what we think of them. Our opinions don't (and shouldn't) count for squat.

But we shouldn't lionize them, either.
02-15-2022 01:35 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Worked for Dean Smith, whose AD did not want Bill Guthridge.

Also worked for John Thompson, though we don't know who GU would have hired if John left with enough notice for a search.

Almost worked for Jim Boeheim, except Mike Hopkins got tired of waiting and JB reneged on his retirement plans.
02-15-2022 01:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(02-15-2022 10:51 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Duke prez wanted Amaker.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...on-scheyer

Is this really a big deal?

Even a legendary coach doesn't get to choose his successor, that's the domain of the campus administration. Though if I was a Duke administrator I'd certainly solicit my legendary coach's advice.

Sounds like coach K gave his advice, the admins wanted something else, but in the end they went with K's advice anyway. Not much to see here, IMO.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2022 01:53 PM by quo vadis.)
02-15-2022 01:50 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(02-15-2022 01:47 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Worked for Dean Smith, whose AD did not want Bill Guthridge.

Also worked for John Thompson, though we don't know who GU would have hired if John left with enough notice for a search.

Almost worked for Jim Boeheim, except Mike Hopkins got tired of waiting and JB reneged on his retirement plans.

1st 2 maybe worked for the coach, but it sure didn't work out for the school.
02-15-2022 01:52 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
(02-15-2022 01:47 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Worked for Dean Smith, whose AD did not want Bill Guthridge.

Agree. Reading the Amaker v Scheyer drama does remind me of the Bill Guthridge and Craig Esherick sagas. In this case, Duke President Price was no match for the power of Coach K. When the coach is a legend with 40+ years building the university brand, his career and legacy are managed to the very end.

Unfortunately for Scheyer, coaches who follow legends don't generally last a long time.
02-15-2022 02:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.