https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOaSozp4...pe&index=2
02-14-2022 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
RE: West Texas A&M Prez Op-Ed
Sounds like thanks but no thanks. We are pretty happy where we are now.
02-14-2022 07:57 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
But DavidSt said...
02-14-2022 10:02 PM
RCI Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACU
He makes a lot of sense for his university as well as raising a lot of questions about the future and the decisions of the NCAA. I would rather see more student athletes than fewer. I really don't want to see a lot of programs go over the cliff to run-of-mill status in weak conferences somehow rated higher but where not a lot of what athletics does matters very much. Sports was a big part of my life at all levels, from smaller schools to national and even international level competition. It always meant something and created excitement. So, I understand his position. And I understand why some might disagree.
02-14-2022 10:38 PM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
Quote:Especially challenging at the upper echelons of intercollegiate athletics is that at the FCS level, institutional spending “does not seem to have a significant impact on university enrollment, application or student quality measures.” Yet, these programs are the “front porch” for many institutions, but mid-major FCS schools that work to emulate the FBS powerhouses may overspend too much to earn too little, afflicted with FBS envy. According to President Duderstadt, “… the race for fame and profits through intercollegiate athletics is clearly a fool’s quest…”.

I found this quote particularly interesting in light of speculation that WTAMU might move up to FCS. That notion appears to be a pipe dream.
02-15-2022 06:58 AM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(02-15-2022 06:58 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  
Quote:Especially challenging at the upper echelons of intercollegiate athletics is that at the FCS level, institutional spending “does not seem to have a significant impact on university enrollment, application or student quality measures.” Yet, these programs are the “front porch” for many institutions, but mid-major FCS schools that work to emulate the FBS powerhouses may overspend too much to earn too little, afflicted with FBS envy. According to President Duderstadt, “… the race for fame and profits through intercollegiate athletics is clearly a fool’s quest…”.

I found this quote particularly interesting in light of speculation that WTAMU might move up to FCS. That notion appears to be a pipe dream.

Well said
02-15-2022 10:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SMUstang Offline
Banned

What Walter Wendler says in his videos about student debt and debt in general is eye opening. His wisdom is profound.
02-15-2022 10:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(02-14-2022 10:02 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  But DavidSt said...

WTAMU is just waiting for a big donation from Bill Gates. Once they get it, they will be in D1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-15-2022 01:23 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU

David Street could watch every one of those videos and he would still insist WTAM is coming to the WAC.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2022 01:55 PM by PojoaquePosse.)
02-15-2022 01:28 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(02-15-2022 01:28 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

David Street could watch every one of those videos and he would still insist WTAM is coming to the WAC.

they had a pretty good football program in the old days..playing schools like colorado state, louisville, san diego state, southern miss., north texas, uta, and others before becoming an A&M step child.
02-15-2022 03:20 PM
FirstandGoal Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lamar
(02-15-2022 03:20 PM)runamuck Wrote:  
(02-15-2022 01:28 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

they had a pretty good football program in the old days..playing schools like colorado state, louisville, san diego state, southern miss., north texas, uta, and others before becoming an A&M step child.

I would expect them to be very cautious about returning to D1. I would assume money was one of the prime motivators for them dropping down to D2. I remember watching them play Wichita State in Wichita around 1975.
02-15-2022 03:26 PM
Advertisement

RCI Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACU
FCS sort of makes sense for many programs, if for no other reason than the NAIA and DII typically provide much less intense competition. But FBS is a big pond with Power 5 conferences and little room for the bottom feeders of FBS. There must be more to this story but I am not informed enough to understand the allure of bottom feeding FBS conferences when schools like North Dakota State and Sam Houston enjoyed celebratory years that likely will not come by again, at least in our lifetimes. (What I mean is schools jumping to FBS minor conferences likely will have little to celebrate.)
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2022 04:06 PM by RCI.)
02-15-2022 03:41 PM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
He references small HS football in Texas and most likely believes WT should represent them in College. Then again, they have already dropped the cheerleaders so football may not be far behind. I truly believe they are a FCS school playing D2 because of the proximity and access to Amarillo $$$. I could say the same thing about Ferris State and Grand Valley State. The latter has finally shown interest in moving to the OVC TBD.
02-15-2022 10:06 PM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
(02-15-2022 10:06 PM)BlueDragon Wrote:  He references small HS football in Texas and most likely believes WT should represent them in College. Then again, they have already dropped the cheerleaders so football may not be far behind. I truly believe they are a FCS school playing D2 because of the proximity and access to Amarillo $$$. I could say the same thing about Ferris State and Grand Valley State. The latter has finally shown interest in moving to the OVC TBD.

If I understood his thinking it is that FCS isn’t a good investment- FCS -

1. Will need to be subsidized via institutional funds. Ultimately the cost increase falls on students, many of whom are already swimming in loan debt.

While I might or might not agree with him, he’s provided a thoughtful critique that’s frequently missing in the rush to ‘move up.’

2. Provides no evidence of return on investment—an increase in enrollment or applications associated with a switch to FCS.

Given these facts it would be a disservice to the institution and students to move up. Better to play the college equivalent of 3A ball.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2022 07:06 AM by OscarWildeCat.)
02-16-2022 07:04 AM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

(02-16-2022 07:04 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  
(02-15-2022 10:06 PM)BlueDragon Wrote:  He references small HS football in Texas and most likely believes WT should represent them in College. Then again, they have already dropped the cheerleaders so football may not be far behind. I truly believe they are a FCS school playing D2 because of the proximity and access to Amarillo $$$. I could say the same thing about Ferris State and Grand Valley State. The latter has finally shown interest in moving to the OVC TBD.

If I understood his thinking it is that FCS isn’t a good investment- FCS -

1. Will need to be subsidized via institutional funds. Ultimately the cost increase falls on students, many of whom are already swimming in loan debt.

While I might or might not agree with him, he’s provided a thoughtful critique that’s frequently missing in the rush to ‘move up.’

2. Provides no evidence of return on investment—an increase in enrollment or applications associated with a switch to FCS.

Given these facts it would be a disservice to the institution and students to move up. Better to play the college equivalent of 3A ball.

That’s what I read too
02-16-2022 10:26 AM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
On the Tarleton mens basketball pregame from Saturday night, Tarleton PxP interviewed the PxP from ACU before the contest. They discussed the ACU victory over UT from a couple years ago. ACU performed a study as for what the victory meant for the university, and they decided with all of the various media all over the country, they received around $150 million in free publicity.
02-16-2022 12:16 PM
Advertisement

SMUstang Offline
Banned

(02-16-2022 12:16 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  On the Tarleton mens basketball pregame from Saturday night, Tarleton PxP interviewed the PxP from ACU before the contest. They discussed the ACU victory over UT from a couple years ago. ACU performed a study as for what the victory meant for the university, and they decided with all of the various media all over the country, they received around $150 million in free publicity.

What does this have to do with WTAMU?
02-16-2022 01:05 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(02-16-2022 12:16 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  On the Tarleton mens basketball pregame from Saturday night, Tarleton PxP interviewed the PxP from ACU before the contest. They discussed the ACU victory over UT from a couple years ago. ACU performed a study as for what the victory meant for the university, and they decided with all of the various media all over the country, they received around $150 million in free publicity.

the mavs beat em a few years ago when they had a couple of stars they were touting but it didnt get us any money
02-16-2022 01:33 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(02-16-2022 01:33 PM)runamuck Wrote:  

the mavs beat em a few years ago when they had a couple of stars they were touting but it didnt get us any money

It also wasn't a major upset in the NCAA Tourney. That said, that "150$ Million" in publicity isn't actually anything tangible, but yeah that was a heck of year for y'all was that the same year y'all beat Ohio State and ranked St. Marys?
02-16-2022 01:56 PM
Pounder Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(02-16-2022 01:56 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  IThat said, that "150$ Million" in publicity isn't actually anything tangible”

Kind of like the “spending multiplier” pro stadium advocates used to use, no?
02-17-2022 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.