Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference USA dying ?
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
Conference USA dying ?
I know this is not AAC but with the AAC taking on a bunch of CUSA teams thought this was relevant.

Southern Miss, Marshall and ODU are all cutting ties with CUSA effective this summer.

Wonder if that affects any movement to the AAC earlier than expected

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022 03:26 PM by Stickboy46.)
02-11-2022 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
RE: Conference USA dying ?
(02-11-2022 03:24 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  I know this is not AAC but with the AAC taking on a bunch of CUSA teams thought this was relevant.

Southern Miss, Marshall and ODU are all cutting ties with CUSA effective this summer.

CUSA has schools coming in. I think the big question is what happens of those three leave for 2022-23 season and the new members can’t join in.

Still CUSA would have 11 members for 2022-23 if those three do leave since the 6 AAC additions are not scheduled to come in until 2023.
02-11-2022 03:28 PM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
(02-11-2022 03:28 PM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  
(02-11-2022 03:24 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  I know this is not AAC but with the AAC taking on a bunch of CUSA teams thought this was relevant.

CUSA has schools coming in. I think the big question is what happens of those three leave for 2022-23 season and the new members can’t join in.

Still CUSA would have 11 members for 2022-23 if those three do leave since the 6 AAC additions are not scheduled to come in until 2023.
Yea I've lost count of the moves anymore of who is going where. Just thought it was interesting that all 3 announced at once.

02-11-2022 03:29 PM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
This has been in the works basically since the Sun Belt schools announced their departure. At the end of the day CUSA probably just sits tight with its 11 remaining schools for 2022-2023 and adds the newcomers in 2023 (assuming that's when CUSA schools depart for AAC).
02-11-2022 04:15 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights

Please let this expedite the realignment.

UCF, Houston, and Cincy will gladly leave earlier if the AAC wants to release us early and wave the exit fees.

If CUSA falls apart, the AAC has to help its future members.

Is it better for the AAC to collect the exit fees or have the future members suffer with a collapsed conference?
02-11-2022 04:20 PM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(02-11-2022 04:20 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  

UCF, Houston, and Cincy will gladly leave earlier if the AAC wants to release us early and wave the exit fees.

Is it better for the AAC to collect the exit fees or have the future members suffer with a collapsed conference?

LOL. No luck. Pay your exit fees
02-11-2022 04:24 PM
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(02-11-2022 04:24 PM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  

I'm rooting for chaos.

- This scares off the teams with CUSA invites from joining.
- CUSA forced to disband this summer
- AAC forced to help its new members or worry about their brand taking a huge hit
- AAC releases the exiting members and waves exit terms

There is no way we can split the current AAC tv deal 17 ways. None of the current ADs would agree to that.

I also don't think the AAC can afford to leave the 6 new members in the cold scrambling to make schedules, tv deals, bowl ties etc etc
02-11-2022 04:36 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
Conference USA dying ?
This was expected for awhile. The big 10 scheduled with 11 schools for many years. It will just be play 8 of 10 for a year.

The only tricky part is one team has to play an out of conference games each week that is normally conference play weeks.

The AAC future teams can deal with this for one year and move to the AAC in 2023

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
02-11-2022 04:51 PM
RuckleSt Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
To answer the OP's question, yes. It has been slowly dying since the 2005 exodus.
02-11-2022 04:56 PM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(02-11-2022 04:36 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  

I'm rooting for chaos.

- AAC forced to help its new members or worry about their brand taking a huge hit

There is no way we can split the current AAC tv deal 17 ways. None of the current ADs would agree to that.

I also don't think the AAC can afford to leave the 6 new members in the cold scrambling to make schedules, tv deals, bowl ties etc etc

Why would that happen? CUSA has 14 members, 6 are going to AAC and 3 are going to Sun Belt. 5 are staying and adding members down the line. If those 3 leave early for SunBelt then you still have 11 still with their bowl tie ins, so it doesn’t really hurt the 6 coming to AAC in 2023
There is zero chance of those leaving AAC to not pay their exit fees
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022 05:05 PM by Cubanbull1.)
02-11-2022 05:04 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(02-11-2022 05:04 PM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  
(02-11-2022 03:28 PM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  CUSA has schools coming in. I think the big question is what happens of those three leave for 2022-23 season and the new members can’t join in.

I'm rooting for chaos.

Why would that happen? CUSA has 14 members, 6 are going to AAC and 3 are going to Sun Belt. 5 are staying and adding members down the line. If those 3 leave early for SunBelt then you still have 11 still with their bowl tie ins, so it doesn’t really hurt the 6 coming to AAC in 2023

CUSA airing their laundry publicly now. CUSA looks more unstable and you can't trust the leadership. The current members are saying their commissioner is completely ignoring their requests. This is the same league office that signed bad tv deals with Facebook and Stadium and then had to backtrack to ESPN.

Honestly, the SHSU, JSU, NMSU, and Liberty might be better off not joining CUSA.

Joining a conference that ignores its members? The commissioner works for the members, not the other way around. Its ridiculous that they wont even sit down with them for a meeting. Its not the relationship a new member would expect to hear about.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022 06:04 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
02-11-2022 05:37 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(02-11-2022 05:37 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  
(02-11-2022 04:20 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Please let this expedite the realignment.

I'm rooting for chaos.

CUSA airing their laundry publicly now. CUSA looks more unstable and you can't trust the leadership. The current members are saying their commissioner is completely ignoring their requests. This is the same league office that signed bad tv deals with Facebook and Stadium and then had to backtrack to ESPN.

Honestly, the SHSU, JSU, NMSU, and Liberty might be better off not joining CUSA.

Joining a conference that ignores its members? The commissioner works for the members, not the other way around. Its ridiculous that they wont even sit down with them for a meeting. Its not the relationship a new member would expect to hear about.

Where else are they going to go? Plus that’s the story from the outgoing bunch.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022 06:40 PM by Cubanbull1.)
02-11-2022 06:39 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
(02-11-2022 04:20 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Please let this expedite the realignment.

I'm rooting for chaos.

You are really just trying too hard.
02-11-2022 10:38 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(02-11-2022 03:28 PM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  CUSA has schools coming in. I think the big question is what happens of those three leave for 2022-23 season and the new members can’t join in.

I'm rooting for chaos.

I'll point out that the current timeline is for 1 July 2024, with the outgoing institutions paying $10 million each in exit fees. The six new schools would then enter 1 July 2024.

The three deaparting schools leaving 1 July 2023 would involve negotiations (expect $17 million exot fees just like UConn). If that happened, the six new members joining 1 July 2023 is pretty easy. I suppose there is a small ticking clock for 1 May of this year so those six institutions are clean with the fourteen month notification required by CUSA. Between 2 May 2022 and 1 July 2023 we'll have precedent based on the bunfight between CUSA and the three institutions moving to the Sun Belt.

CUSA isn't going to disband.
The six incoming AAC schools can ride out a potential year of chaos knowing they're coming to the (relative) promised land.
CUSA chaos will be minor (still 11 schools plus inbounds) and limited to CUSA.

Of course we're all waiting on UT OU and cascading effects.
02-11-2022 10:41 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
Clearly the 3 members moving to the sunbelt were hoping this would gain momentum and the 6 members moving to the AAC would read between the lines and follow suit forcing the conference to fold. Didn't happen and the 3 soon to be sunbelt members only have a minor increase in fees as a result.

I don't see any scenario where any of this has any impact on UCF, Cincinnati and Houston being let off the hook with minimal or no exit fees.

Side note: I can't wait to see usf use all of their exit fee money to buy out their coach and sign a guarantee overpaid contract with another washout coach...again.
02-11-2022 10:51 PM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(02-11-2022 10:51 PM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  Clearly the 3 members moving to the sunbelt were hoping this would gain momentum and the 6 members moving to the AAC would read between the lines and follow suit forcing the conference to fold. Didn't happen and the 3 soon to be sunbelt members only have a minor increase in fees as a result.

I don't see any scenario where any of this has any impact on UCF, Cincinnati and Houston being let off the hook with minimal or no exit fees.

Side note: I can't wait to see usf use all of their exit fee money to buy out their coach and sign a guarantee overpaid contract with another washout coach...again.

Ahh, you just had to throw a little elbow at USF in your post. Quite a reach but hey glad that USF still in your mind as you head out.
02-11-2022 11:09 PM
Advertisement

Thewavefan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
In reality, C-USA isn’t losing much but I understand why they need to band aid this whole thing together just a little longer. None of it matters really, the G4 are all just gloried high school conferences. There truly needs to hurry up and be a split so we can get rid of all that excess baggage.
02-11-2022 11:19 PM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(02-11-2022 10:41 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

I'm rooting for chaos.

I'll point out that the current timeline is for 1 July 2024, with the outgoing institutions paying $10 million each in exit fees. The six new schools would then enter 1 July 2024.

The three deaparting schools leaving 1 July 2023 would involve negotiations (expect $17 million exot fees just like UConn). If that happened, the six new members joining 1 July 2023 is pretty easy. I suppose there is a small ticking clock for 1 May of this year so those six institutions are clean with the fourteen month notification required by CUSA. Between 2 May 2022 and 1 July 2023 we'll have precedent based on the bunfight between CUSA and the three institutions moving to the Sun Belt.

CUSA isn't going to disband.
The six incoming AAC schools can ride out a potential year of chaos knowing they're coming to the (relative) promised land.
CUSA chaos will be minor (still 11 schools plus inbounds) and limited to CUSA.

Of course we're all waiting on UT OU and cascading effects.

Exactly if those three are able to leave CUSA for 2022, the league will have 11 members for next year and come 2023 which is when we expect the three exits from AAC and the 6 new members to move into AAC.CUSA will add NNSU,Sam Houston, Jacksonville St and Liberty and be a 9 team league
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022 11:28 PM by Cubanbull1.)
02-11-2022 11:22 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

LOL. There's a comedian in every bunch.
02-12-2022 08:05 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(02-11-2022 10:38 PM)vick mike Wrote:  
(02-11-2022 04:24 PM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  LOL. No luck. Pay your exit fees

I'm rooting for chaos.

You are really just trying too hard.

Yea, upon reflection this morning. I went full retard and you never go full retard.

[Image: you-went-full-retard-never-go-full-retar...399881.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2022 10:14 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
02-12-2022 10:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.