UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB Talent 2022 vs UAB Past 21 Years
pmcmaster1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UAB
UAB Talent 2022 vs UAB Past 21 Years
Since 2000 I dont think any of our previous teams had the number of players that are really talented and experienced as this team.
Jelly- Best Player on Tulane Team, Quan Jackson best player on Georgia Southern Team. Mike Eartel- Best Player on ULM Team. KJ Buffon - One of 2 Best Players at Ole Miss, Jamal Johnson - Memphis/ Auburn, Brown-USF, LeBlanc- Georgetown/LSU.

We will see what happens. Bringing these players to be on the same page is a monumental task. AK is doing a great job with bringing a group of players used to being best player.

We may not make the tournament, if we do this team has all the talent and depth needed to make a deep run. And watching Jelly has been worth the cost of season tickets.

Enjoy the ride
02-11-2022 01:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: UAB Talent 2022 vs UAB Past 21 Years
Experience.....maybe. Talent? There are several other teams since 2000 that are more talented than this team. Anderson and Davis had teams that would beat this current UAB team with no problems.
02-11-2022 07:14 AM
Cbass33 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Uab
04-rock
(02-11-2022 01:44 AM)pmcmaster1 Wrote:  Since 2000 I dont think any of our previous teams had the number of players that are really talented and experienced as this team.
Jelly- Best Player on Tulane Team, Quan Jackson best player on Georgia Southern Team. Mike Eartel- Best Player on ULM Team. KJ Buffon - One of 2 Best Players at Ole Miss, Jamal Johnson - Memphis/ Auburn, Brown-USF, LeBlanc- Georgetown/LSU.

We will see what happens. Bringing these players to be on the same page is a monumental task. AK is doing a great job with bringing a group of players used to being best player.

We may not make the tournament, if we do this team has all the talent and depth needed to make a deep run. And watching Jelly has been worth the cost of season tickets.

Enjoy the ride
02-11-2022 07:17 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
(02-11-2022 07:14 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  Experience.....maybe. Talent? There are several other teams since 2000 that are more talented than this team. Anderson and Davis had teams that would beat this current UAB team with no problems.

They would beat them but probably have problems.... LOL. We had deficiencies then too. 03-shhhh Don't tell anyone.
02-11-2022 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-11-2022 08:01 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  
(02-11-2022 07:14 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  Experience.....maybe. Talent? There are several other teams since 2000 that are more talented than this team. Anderson and Davis had teams that would beat this current UAB team with no problems.

They would beat them but probably have problems.... LOL. We had deficiencies then too. 03-shhhh Don't tell anyone.

I think Anderson's teams had better guards and low post players than this team. Give me the twins, Mo, Squiggy, Gabe, Ball, and Eddins over this current team. The length of that team and the defense they played would turn this current over so much it wouldn't be fair.

I actually believe Davis teams were even more talented but coaching held them back. If Kennedy coached Davis teams they would have achieved heights that would have surpassed Anderson's era.

Just my opinion of course.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022 09:00 AM by HiddenDragon.)
02-11-2022 09:00 AM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(02-11-2022 09:00 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

I think Anderson's teams had better guards and low post players than this team. Give me the twins, Mo, Squiggy, Gabe, Ball, and Eddins over this current team. The length of that team and the defense they played would turn this current over so much it wouldn't be fair.

I actually believe Davis teams were even more talented but coaching held them back. If Kennedy coached Davis teams they would have achieved heights that would have surpassed Anderson's era.

This is a fun argument and I think they'd match up well:
- 2004 UAB was #100 in 2pt%, whereas 2022 UAB is #28 in defending it.
- 2022 UAB is #28 in 3pt%, even though 2004 UAB was #38 in defending it.
- They both steal and block at about the same rate

Think it depends on when they play as well. I've seen it said on this board a few times that a lot of Anderson's stuff from his UAB days doesn't fly in modern hoops.
02-11-2022 09:42 AM
BlazeOn Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
If we are talking "talent", not experience and not results; the most talented UAB team since 2000 was the 2016-2017 team. That was a team which returned 4 starters from the previous year's team that set a school record with 26 wins, went 16-0 at home, won the C-USA regular season. There are at least 8 members of that roster currently playing professional basketball somewhere. That was a team that had Sweet 16 potential. A good coach might have gotten them there. Robert Ehsan was NOT a good coach. He took a loaded team and finished 17-16.

This is a great example of how a bad coach can screw up good talent.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022 09:54 AM by BlazeOn.)
02-11-2022 09:45 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-11-2022 09:42 AM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  
(02-11-2022 09:00 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

This is a fun argument and I think they'd match up well:
- 2004 UAB was #100 in 2pt%, whereas 2022 UAB is #28 in defending it.
- 2022 UAB is #28 in 3pt%, even though 2004 UAB was #38 in defending it.
- They both steal and block at about the same rate

Think it depends on when they play as well. I've seen it said on this board a few times that a lot of Anderson's stuff from his UAB days doesn't fly in modern hoops.

Anderson played in a much tougher version of CUSA than what Kennedy is playing in so it's almost comparing apples to oranges. I think Anderson's style would still be effective in this version of CUSA but not in a conference like the current AAC.
02-11-2022 10:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.