UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cost to switch to AAC now?
SMUfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
Cost to switch to AAC now?
Wondering why the AAC hasn't gone ahead and announced their football schedule.

How much extra would it cost to switch this July instead of July of 2023?

Supposedly three schools might go ahead and switch this July from CUSA to the SunBelt. What's to stop UAB from switching soon to the AAC?

Wouldn't a million dollars +/- from the AAC vs low dollars from CUSA make it worth while?
02-09-2022 10:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
RE: Cost to switch to AAC now?
(02-09-2022 10:52 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  Wondering why the AAC hasn't gone ahead and announced their football schedule.

How much extra would it cost to switch this July instead of July of 2023?

Supposedly three schools might go ahead and switch this July from CUSA to the SunBelt. What's to stop UAB from switching soon to the AAC?

Wouldn't a million dollars +/- from the AAC vs low dollars from CUSA make it worth while?

That’d be tough for just us to go when the rest of the additions are from the same conference.
02-09-2022 10:54 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-09-2022 10:52 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  What's to stop UAB from switching soon to the AAC?

No one is leaving the AAC until OU and UT go to the SEC. No room at the inn, they're not going to just add four more teams and go to fifteen.
02-10-2022 02:12 AM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
(02-10-2022 02:12 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  
(02-09-2022 10:52 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  What's to stop UAB from switching soon to the AAC?

No one is leaving the AAC until OU and UT go to the SEC. No room at the inn, they're not going to just add four more teams and go to fifteen.

If the three Sun Belt schools leave, it would make things easier scheduling if one CUSA member joined the AAC this year as it gives each league an even number.
02-10-2022 03:06 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
That's true enough... but remember that the AAC has been fine with running with an odd number since UConn went to the Big East for the 2020 season. Just because the C-USA teams want it and think it makes sense does not mean that it will happen. Add that reworking the schedule now for games in September would be a helluva lift.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2022 08:27 AM by UAB Band Dad.)
02-10-2022 08:26 AM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

I Root For: UAB
I think UAB could and would move if possible but I do not think the AAC will choose to add anyone unless, however unlikely, all the other moves up top get made in the next 30 days.

I do think Texas and Oklahoma will try like crazy to make that move despite schedules already being announced.
02-10-2022 09:30 AM
Advertisement

SMUfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU

Never said anyone was leaving the AAC now. Also didn't say that more than UAB could be added.

Making the point that since the AAC hasn't already announced their 2022 football schedule that something might still be in play.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2022 09:55 AM by SMUfan.)
02-10-2022 09:53 AM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

None of the G5s have announced schedules yet for this reason.
02-10-2022 10:48 AM
rook360 Offline
All American

No bodies moving to the AAC this year.
AAC schools could possibly move to big12 next year and that would help us.
The future Sunbelt schools want to leave this coming year, but the closer it gets to July the more unlikely it will be.

Just enjoy the rest of our timehere and try to leave with more championship hardware.
02-10-2022 11:39 AM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

These decisions will be made by March 1.

It is not yet set in stone but it will be then.
02-10-2022 11:52 AM
space orange Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF

I don't think OU and UT are the road block. The Big 12 announced it's already started planning for a 14 team league for 23 and 24. You can work with 14. I think the actual roadblock is that the AAC can't really function well with 17 schools. So AAC to B12, no logistics issues just trying to negotiate a middle ground for the exit fees since it'll be less than the 27 month notice. CUSA to SBC is pretty much the same thing, the destination conference is ready but the origin conference has to finish negotiations. CUSA to AAC is where it gets weird size wise if the B12 bound schools don't leave first.
02-10-2022 12:18 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisVannini/...5357340679

Chris Vannini@ChrisVannini

Marshall, Old Dominion and Southern Miss all plan to leave Conference USA on June 30.

They’ve all already accepted invitations to the Sun Belt, but this isn’t an announcement about joining that yet. This is an announcement of a messy breakup.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022 04:56 PM by WesternBlazer.)
02-11-2022 03:38 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
In case anyone had a doubt, Judy is a moron
02-11-2022 04:00 PM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
Congrats to them for getting out early. Very doubtful but maybe CUSA can add Liberty, Jax State and NMSU a year early to potentially put it into 2-bid territory for our last season.
02-11-2022 04:08 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-11-2022 04:08 PM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  Congrats to them for getting out early. Very doubtful but maybe CUSA can add Liberty, Jax State and NMSU a year early to potentially put it into 2-bid territory for our last season.
Not as easy for the incoming because they have a slate of games already under contract, each of which would need to be bought out.
02-11-2022 04:48 PM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

(02-11-2022 03:38 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisVannini/...5357340679

Marshall, Old Dominion and Southern Miss all plan to leave Conference USA on June 30.

They’ve all already accepted invitations to the Sun Belt, but this isn’t an announcement about joining that yet. This is an announcement of a messy breakup.

Per source, Marshall, Southern Miss and Old Dominion plan and hope to join the Sun Belt for fall 2022 now, but that’s not officially done yet.

These schools say C-USA won’t even sit down to negotiate an early exit, so they’re leaving and the lawyers will figure it out.
02-11-2022 04:57 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

(02-11-2022 04:57 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  
(02-11-2022 03:38 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisVannini/...5357340679

Per source, Marshall, Southern Miss and Old Dominion plan and hope to join the Sun Belt for fall 2022 now, but that’s not officially done yet.

These schools say C-USA won’t even sit down to negotiate an early exit, so they’re leaving and the lawyers will figure it out.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2022/2/1...2-sun-belt
02-11-2022 05:02 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

I think the most likely option is that C-USA and the American will both stick with 11-team lineups without divisions.

However, I am not yet convinced Oklahoma and Texas won’t buy their way out of the Big 12 in March, leading to the possibility that the rest of the moves happen. It would be chaotic on schedules but not impossible. Those schools do have the money if they truly want to do it.

Simplest answer is where we are right now, with the big 12, aac and cusa standing as is, and the sun belt welcoming its new teams.
02-11-2022 05:15 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

...I've read that the AAC to BIG XII are moving in '23, doesn't really hinge on UT/OUs locale...

With that, with the AAC currently at 11 football members, UAB COULD jump in this year to make an even dozen, and if the C-USA to SBC 3 defect, would leave C-USA with 10 for 2022... would obviously be cool to be in the AAC for one season with the current complement of teams in it, but there's something weirdly 'commitment-wise' to wait with the others and move as one group...

But if we can make some noise in the tourney (well, first MAKE the tourney), an early jump for us might be more of a possibility...
02-11-2022 05:43 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I really think you need to let this UAB leaving early for the AAC thing go. All six departing members will be going to the AAC together, not a onesie here and a onesie there.
02-11-2022 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.