Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Most radical post ever!! Affects both P5/A5 & G5!!
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Most radical post ever!! Affects both P5/A5 & G5!!
After seriously thinking about one of my own posts on the "Is Coach Harsin on the Chopping block?" thread:

[
Quote:
(02-05-2022 12:54 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  [quote='JRsec' pid='18053277' dateline='1644081721']
[quote='AllTideUp' pid='18053087' dateline='1644073835']
[quote='JRsec' pid='18052316' dateline='1644013709']
[quote='GreenFreakUAB' pid='18052285' dateline='1644012507']

For the state of Alabama, I honestly wish we had one set of trustees for higher education in the state. It would be a political machine like all the rest, but at least the interests would be divided. I think we're coming to a future where Alabama, Auburn, Troy, South Alabama, Montevallo, and UAB will be the key schools in the state with everyone else on the back burner...maybe even some of them shut down.

Troy, South Alabama , and Montevallo are important as well, IMO. Troy has been a huge player in education, online learning, & business for a long time, IMO. I am taking back what I originally said about Montevallo being on the back burner. As Alabama's only public liberal arts college, the University of Montevallo deserves to be a key school as well.

a radical thought occurred to me: what about taking community colleges/junior colleges and integrating them with the nearby four year colleges??

For example, not more than 5 minutes from my house, there is a satellite campus of Troy University (Troy University-Dothan) and there is George C. Wallace Community College not far from that. I can tell you right now that both are commuter schools, but think about how much $$'s would be saved in merging the two schools not more than 5 minutes away from each other by eliminating duplicate positions and courses. Basically under my idea, Troy University-Dothan would take over George C Wallace Community College, and would add Wallace's trade & technical courses to its existing course offerings!!

Imagine doing that with all community colleges and nearby four year college campuses. Plus, the community colleges that are nowhere near a four year school, like Enterprise State Junior College or Lurleen B. Wallace Community College in Andalusia could be a branch campus of a four year college.

I'm talking not just doing this in the state of Alabama, but all over the entire country,our U.S.A..
02-07-2022 04:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JSUCleburneslim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
RE: Most radical post ever!! Affects both P5/A5 & G5!!
The original post was moronic. Ask uab how they feel about being part of the u of a board of trustees.
And the second idea would be horrible for students the cost of jr college would go trough the roof. They essentially would be run out of business by their masters who would like nothing more than to eliminate their competition. Many people attend 2 yr colleges because tuition is so much cheaper, all these would be forced out of an opportunity to earn a better living.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2022 04:56 AM by JSUCleburneslim.)
02-07-2022 04:51 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Some southern states have 2 landgrant schools, not one.
Alabama for example have Auburn, Alabama A&M and Tuskegee. Than you will have Jacksonville State, Alabama State, UAH and TUNA will argue that they are important. What you are saying will be a nightmare for all the states to begin with.
02-07-2022 05:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DawgNBama Online

As for the first idea, JR & UAB Green Freak proposed the main idea-all I did was add key universities. How would you like Jax State to be a part of the University of Alabama, or worse, be merged with UAB???

As far as the second, my main idea, I think there is a lot of merit to it. College tuition, IMO, is probably going to increase anyway, even at 2 year colleges, IMO, and I do foresee a lot of them shutting down in the future without merging. So, wouldn't be better to save some of them than to potentially lose all of them???
02-07-2022 05:43 AM
DawgNBama Online

(02-07-2022 05:35 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Some southern states have 2 landgrant schools, not one.
Alabama for example have Auburn, Alabama A&M and Tuskegee. Than you will have Jacksonville State, Alabama State, UAH and TUNA will argue that they are important. What you are saying will be a nightmare for all the states to begin with.

I had thought of that before I made my post, David St, and I actually agree with you on Alabama A&M. Yes, it is a nightmare to think about, but one of the posters I was quoting said that time may be coming anyway, and I have to agree. Montgomery is a huge mess with Alabama State, AUM, and a satellite campus of Troy University as well, not to mention who knows how many private schools!! I read an article about when AUM was first created, a federal judge did question its feasibility citing the presence of Alabama State. No offense to JR or to anyone at AUM, but I believe that he (the federal judge) was right.
02-07-2022 05:54 AM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(02-07-2022 05:35 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Some southern states have 2 landgrant schools, not one.

Do people actually call North Alabama TUNA :)
02-07-2022 07:26 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(02-07-2022 07:26 AM)schmolik Wrote:  

It’s a non starter for Tuna to realign unless Mayo is added too.
02-07-2022 09:43 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Community colleges are to supposed to serve a different purpose than 4-year colleges. My mother spent most of her career as a community college professor and one part of the appeal for both her and the students was that she could actually teach an intro class with 20 to 30 students with individualized attention as opposed to 100-plus students in a large lecture. (My first two accounting classes at Illinois had at least 500 students in them.) At the same time, the cost difference is a huge factor. My late father had the grades and test scores to go to Northwestern or University of Chicago, but his family couldn’t even afford in-state tuition at a public university. So, he worked full-time and took classes at the local community college and, after 2 years. then went on to work full-time and got his engineering degree at UIC. Going to community college for 2 years was the only way that he could have ever afforded to get a college education, and that was at a time when tuition was a fraction of what it is now in real dollar terms.

There might be some administrative bloat, but the cost savings of these types of proposed mergers are generally overstated if they’re based on staffing reductions alone. Unless you physically close campuses (a largely unpopular thing to do on a lot of levels) and/or increase class sizes dramatically, it’s generally not going to result in the cost savings that make it worth giving up the individual control and autonomy of maintaining separate institutions.

The recent decision to consolidate several Pennsylvania public universities is an example of a very large scale merger with closings. Whether that ends up being a good decision or not remains to be seen, but it essentially needs to be that broad in order to see material savings as opposed to just a top level administrative consolidation. Of course, that type of consolidation is VERY painful publicly and politically, which is why it rarely happens.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2022 10:15 AM by Frank the Tank.)
02-07-2022 10:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(02-07-2022 09:43 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

we know what Bowl game they would be going to.
02-07-2022 10:18 AM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(02-07-2022 10:18 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-07-2022 09:43 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

we know what Bowl game they would be going to.

Yes, while Tuna would prefer the Cheese it Bowl, it’s the Mayo Bowl for them.
02-07-2022 10:29 AM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Alabama
Funny stuff...

Seriously though, UNA is the fastest growing state University in Alabama so I doubt they are not important.

And TUNA was started by UNA people that was basically making fun of the acronym that comes from The University of North Alabama.

The school has kinda dropped the THE as of late and just use University of North Alabama or just North Alabama.

Now days it's usually our rivals who use TUNA.
02-07-2022 11:33 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-07-2022 05:43 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  As for the first idea, JR & UAB Green Freak proposed the main idea-all I did was add key universities. How would you like Jax State to be a part of the University of Alabama, or worse, be merged with UAB???

As far as the second, my main idea, I think there is a lot of merit to it. College tuition, IMO, is probably going to increase anyway, even at 2 year colleges, IMO, and I do foresee a lot of them shutting down in the future without merging. So, wouldn't be better to save some of them than to potentially lose all of them???

The Cal State people complain, but California has the best setup. They have the U of California system and have almost all of them elite top 100 public schools. 7 of the 9 are AAU, only Riverside and brand new Merced not being AAU. The Cal State schools have their role, which is not the same as the U of C role. Louisiana is similar with the LSU system and the U of Louisiana system containing everyone else--except that they also have their Southern University system with 3 HBCUs (note Grambling is in U of L system).
02-07-2022 12:06 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(02-07-2022 12:06 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-07-2022 05:43 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  As for the first idea, JR & UAB Green Freak proposed the main idea-all I did was add key universities. How would you like Jax State to be a part of the University of Alabama, or worse, be merged with UAB???

The Cal State people complain, but California has the best setup. They have the U of California system and have almost all of them elite top 100 public schools. 7 of the 9 are AAU, only Riverside and brand new Merced not being AAU. The Cal State schools have their role, which is not the same as the U of C role. Louisiana is similar with the LSU system and the U of Louisiana system containing everyone else--except that they also have their Southern University system with 3 HBCUs (note Grambling is in U of L system).

The California Community Colleges also have guaranteed admissions programs to the UC schools (outside of Berkeley, UCLA and UCSD) with the meeting of certain requirements, the Cal State schools and several other universities (including St. Mary's and Pacific and many HBCUs). They seem to be much more straight-forward and predictable than a lot of other states in terms of the path from a community college to a 4-year degree.
02-07-2022 12:58 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Online

(02-07-2022 11:33 AM)lion1983 Wrote:  Funny stuff...

Seriously though, UNA is the fastest growing state University in Alabama so I doubt they are not important.

And TUNA was started by UNA people that was basically making fun of the acronym that comes from The University of North Alabama.

The school has kinda dropped the THE as of late and just use University of North Alabama or just North Alabama.

What does UNA bring to the table that Alabama, Auburn, Troy, South Alabama, UAB and/or even Montevallo do not??

For that matter, why do you even defend community colleges?? Are they not competition to UNA??
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2022 10:34 PM by DawgNBama.)
02-10-2022 10:24 PM
DawgNBama Online

(02-07-2022 04:51 AM)JSUCleburneslim Wrote:  The original post was moronic. Ask uab how they feel about being part of the u of a board of trustees.
And the second idea would be horrible for students the cost of jr college would go trough the roof. They essentially would be run out of business by their masters who would like nothing more than to eliminate their competition. Many people attend 2 yr colleges because tuition is so much cheaper, all these would be forced out of an opportunity to earn a better living.

UNC, East Carolina, NC State, Appalachian State, and every other public college in the state of North Carolina are governed by the UNC board of trustees. I don't hear too many complaints about them.
Same deal over in Georgia where every single public college in the state of Georgia is governed by the UGA board of trustees, pretty much. Outside of complaints by Tech, I have not heard any complaints from the other universities in the state of Georgia.
02-10-2022 10:32 PM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

(02-10-2022 10:24 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

What does UNA bring to the table that Alabama, Auburn, Troy, South Alabama, UAB and/or even Montevallo do not??

For that matter, why do you even defend community colleges?? Are they not competition to UNA??
What are you talking about?
02-10-2022 11:46 PM
DawgNBama Online

(02-10-2022 11:46 PM)lion1983 Wrote:  

At least the Jax State fan took the time to actually answer my post.
One more time I will ask you:

What does UNA bring to the table that the University of Alabama does not?

What does UNA bring to the table that Auburn University does not??

What does UNA bring to the table that UAB does not??

What does UNA bring to the table that Troy University does not??

What does UNA bring to the table that South Alabama does not??

What does UNA bring to the table that Alabama A&M does not?? (New question)

What, academically, does UNA bring to the table that the University of Montevallo does not??

Basically, what makes UNA special academically that won't change over time?? For example, the University of Alabama is Alabama's flagship university. I don't see North Alabama taking that distinction from UAT.

Since community colleges offer many of the same courses that are available at UNA, why do you not view them as competition in academics??
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022 01:13 AM by DawgNBama.)
02-11-2022 01:03 AM
Advertisement

lion1983 Offline
1st String

(02-11-2022 01:03 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(02-10-2022 11:46 PM)lion1983 Wrote:  

At least the Jax State fan took the time to actually answer my post.
One more time I will ask you:

What does UNA bring to the table that the University of Alabama does not?

What does UNA bring to the table that Auburn University does not??

What does UNA bring to the table that UAB does not??

What does UNA bring to the table that Troy University does not??

What does UNA bring to the table that South Alabama does not??

What does UNA bring to the table that Alabama A&M does not?? (New question)

What, academically, does UNA bring to the table that the University of Montevallo does not??

Basically, what makes UNA special academically that won't change over time?? For example, the University of Alabama is Alabama's flagship university. I don't see North Alabama taking that distinction from UAT.

Since community colleges offer many of the same courses that are available at UNA, why do you not view them as competition in academics??

First of all almost all the state schools in Alabama offer the same things, with an exception of a couple offer a little more.

UNA has a great business school, and great teachers school. And the have added so much over the past 10+years I'm not even sure anymore.

And no, I don't think community colleges are a competition, this is the dumbest thing Ive seen you post.
02-11-2022 08:35 AM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
Much, if not all of the CC system in KY is under UK. EKU, WKU, and the two MSUs and NKU do not need to be under the UK BOR. Period.
02-11-2022 11:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.