Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chicago-bred QBs are having a moment (Jordan Lynch mention)
Bookmark and Share
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Chicago-bred QBs are having a moment (Jordan Lynch mention)
https://theathletic.com/3097763/2022/01/...-a-moment/

Some quotes and discussion of good QBs that came out of Illinois in 2009-2010, including Jordan Lynch, and have had success as coaches in HS, college, or are playing in the NFL.

Quote:That 2010 class, and the 2009 class before it, has turned into an unlikely incubator for some of the brightest minds across every level of the sport right now.

Quote:Jordan Lynch (Mount Carmel, ’09)? He just finished his fourth season as head coach at his alma mater, which he coached to the state title in 2019.

Quote:“Until you just mentioned it, those classes of all those QBs, it’s pretty cool to see everyone went on to stay in football and coach football and be around it,” Lynch said this week. ”Some guys are doing bigger things than others, but now that I think about it, there’s a great deal of pride to all come out from the same era.”

Lynch was teammates with Garoppolo in the 2014 East-West Shrine Game. The two had met on the field months earlier when upstart Eastern Illinois, an FCS school, visited Northern Illinois, which was coming off an Orange Bowl appearance a year earlier. Garoppolo and the Panthers jumped out to a 20-0 lead, putting the Huskies on the ropes, before NIU eventually pulled out a 43-39 victory.

Garoppolo finished the game with 428 yards of total offense and six passing touchdowns, putting his school and himself on the map, as the Panthers went on to finish No. 4 in the FCS rankings and Garoppolo was drafted in the second round by the Patriots. Lynch finished with 424 total yards and ended up in New York as a Heisman finalist.

“When you think about RPOs, that’s when it started to get popular,” Lynch said. “Dino Babers was their coach and they were running some really good stuff that was giving us trouble. I remember us copying it the week after. They were explosive and good.”

Rees actually faced Garoppolo and Lynch in that East-West Shrine Game, remembering Garoppolo as the best of the bunch, as the showcase served as a coming-out party for the Walter Payton Award winner...
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2022 09:25 PM by epasnoopy.)
02-01-2022 09:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: Chicago-bred QBs are having a moment (Jordan Lynch mention)
(02-01-2022 09:23 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  https://theathletic.com/3097763/2022/01/...-a-moment/

Some quotes and discussion of good QBs that came out of Illinois in 2009-2010, including Jordan Lynch, and have had success as coaches in HS, college, or are playing in the NFL.

Quote:That 2010 class, and the 2009 class before it, has turned into an unlikely incubator for some of the brightest minds across every level of the sport right now.

Quote:Jordan Lynch (Mount Carmel, ’09)? He just finished his fourth season as head coach at his alma mater, which he coached to the state title in 2019.

Quote:“Until you just mentioned it, those classes of all those QBs, it’s pretty cool to see everyone went on to stay in football and coach football and be around it,” Lynch said this week. ”Some guys are doing bigger things than others, but now that I think about it, there’s a great deal of pride to all come out from the same era.”

Lynch was teammates with Garoppolo in the 2014 East-West Shrine Game. The two had met on the field months earlier when upstart Eastern Illinois, an FCS school, visited Northern Illinois, which was coming off an Orange Bowl appearance a year earlier. Garoppolo and the Panthers jumped out to a 20-0 lead, putting the Huskies on the ropes, before NIU eventually pulled out a 43-39 victory.

Garoppolo finished the game with 428 yards of total offense and six passing touchdowns, putting his school and himself on the map, as the Panthers went on to finish No. 4 in the FCS rankings and Garoppolo was drafted in the second round by the Patriots. Lynch finished with 424 total yards and ended up in New York as a Heisman finalist.

“When you think about RPOs, that’s when it started to get popular,” Lynch said. “Dino Babers was their coach and they were running some really good stuff that was giving us trouble. I remember us copying it the week after. They were explosive and good.”

Rees actually faced Garoppolo and Lynch in that East-West Shrine Game, remembering Garoppolo as the best of the bunch, as the showcase served as a coming-out party for the Walter Payton Award winner...

Thanks EPA for posting the excerpts. Looks like they mentioned Garoppolo, Lynch and Tommy Rees. Was there any other Illinois QBs mentioned from that era?
02-01-2022 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(02-01-2022 09:41 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  Thanks EPA for posting the excerpts. Looks like they mentioned Garoppolo, Lynch and Tommy Rees. Was there any other Illinois QBs mentioned from that era?

Mike Perish (Marist HS), WMU offered him over Garoppolo.

Chandler Whitmer (Downers Grove)

Sean Robinson (Rochester)

Charlie Goro (Maine South)

Jon Budmayr (Marian Central Catholic)
02-02-2022 07:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(02-02-2022 07:08 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  
(02-01-2022 09:41 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  Thanks EPA for posting the excerpts. Looks like they mentioned Garoppolo, Lynch and Tommy Rees. Was there any other Illinois QBs mentioned from that era?

Mike Perish (Marist HS), WMU offered him over Garoppolo.

Chandler Whitmer (Downers Grove)

Sean Robinson (Rochester)

Charlie Goro (Maine South)

Jon Budmayr (Marian Central Catholic)

Didn't realize that many Illinois QB's went to P5 programs. It kind of stinks that top players from Illinois seem to favor going out of state, but I always have to tell myself that it is the kids choice and not my selfish fulfillment.

It's kind of funny how the 2 QBs from this article who had the most success in college stayed in Illinois and played at directional schools.

It seems that most of the players have become coaches for P5 programs with Whitmer reaching the pros as an assistant for the Chargers
02-02-2022 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.