Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Toledo at EMU On Tuesday, Feb 1
Bookmark and Share
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Time for EMU to play a complete game and see what happens.

Interested in what all of you have to say on the player matchups. Will Rollins and Farrakhan go head to head?
01-30-2022 04:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

RE: Toledo at EMU On Tuesday, Feb 1
(01-30-2022 04:57 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Time for EMU to play a complete game and see what happens.

Interested in what all of you have to say on the player matchups. Will Rollins and Farrakhan go head to head?

Ryan Rollins appears to me the MAC's best chance at a player to be drafted by the NBA in many, many years. Translation: I suspect he will be Juwaun Howard's point guard next season in Ann Arbor, he is fabulous.

Ball St used Bumbalow to get in Noah's face and then provided immediate help on either side when Noah beat him off the dribble. Kent St had their splendid athletic guard Curry play Noah exclusively, he was in Noah's grill even off-ball in the corners. Curry sacrificed some offensive energy to do so, but he did shut down Farrakhan. Toledo's first five are WAY better than ours, but they really are not very deep. I don't see them dedicating Rollins to Noah like Kent did with Curry.

Toledo and Coach Kowalczyk are top notch but they have had a pretty dismal record playing in Ypsilanti. Their outstanding record to date is not only attributable to superior coaching and talent but also to the fact that six of their top seven scorers have missed ZERO games. In today's Covid environment, that is amazing.
01-30-2022 08:13 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
EMU, Toledo, and Ohio are all bunched at the top of the MAC in 2-point shooting percentages. Ohio is first followed by EMU.

Toledo shoots 37.9 percent on three’s, but EMU in MOH game, with Noah and Nate leading the way, EMU shot 46.7 percent on three’s and made 14 three’s (42 points).

Should be a war tomorrow night. Both teams need to stop the other’s three-ball.

My hope is that EMU will have at least a 5-6 overall MAC record after going 2-1 against Toledo at home and Ohio and KSU away.

Know other EMU fans and posters not as optimistic, but I see the stars starting to align.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2022 07:28 AM by Miggy.)
01-31-2022 06:53 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2022 08:13 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(01-30-2022 04:57 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Time for EMU to play a complete game and see what happens.

Ryan Rollins appears to me the MAC's best chance at a player to be drafted by the NBA in many, many years. Translation: I suspect he will be Juwaun Howard's point guard next season in Ann Arbor, he is fabulous.

Ball St used Bumbalow to get in Noah's face and then provided immediate help on either side when Noah beat him off the dribble. Kent St had their splendid athletic guard Curry play Noah exclusively, he was in Noah's grill even off-ball in the corners. Curry sacrificed some offensive energy to do so, but he did shut down Farrakhan. Toledo's first five are WAY better than ours, but they really are not very deep. I don't see them dedicating Rollins to Noah like Kent did with Curry.

Toledo and Coach Kowalczyk are top notch but they have had a pretty dismal record playing in Ypsilanti. Their outstanding record to date is not only attributable to superior coaching and talent but also to the fact that six of their top seven scorers have missed ZERO games. In today's Covid environment, that is amazing.
Rollins getting drafted by the NBA would be the first MAC player in a long, long, long time! Not since 2021, when Ohio's terrific Jason Preston was taken #33, has a MAC player been drafted.
01-31-2022 08:07 AM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

Tod is a fascinating coach.

He is clearly good at what he does. His record speaks for itself.

On the flip said (and maybe some of the other schools feel differently) but he ALWAYS seems to make it a point to be the biggest A*hole in the gym.

I just remember the game a few years ago where they torched us late and afterwards there was a big shoving match in the post game line... Their color analyst called JTIV an unkind thing... and the word from the EMU side was that it was a reaction to Tod that caused the whole thing.

May be one of those where if he's yours you love him, but when he isn't you hate him.
01-31-2022 01:54 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

(01-31-2022 01:54 PM)truEMU07 Wrote:  Tod is a fascinating coach.

He is clearly good at what he does. His record speaks for itself.

On the flip said (and maybe some of the other schools feel differently) but he ALWAYS seems to make it a point to be the biggest A*hole in the gym.

I just remember the game a few years ago where they torched us late and afterwards there was a big shoving match in the post game line... Their color analyst called JTIV an unkind thing... and the word from the EMU side was that it was a reaction to Tod that caused the whole thing.

May be one of those where if he's yours you love him, but when he isn't you hate him.

I definitely agree, 07. I believe he refused to shake James' hand after a game.

I've also seen him chirping from the bench at the other team's players. I really don't see the need for that from a D1 coach.
01-31-2022 02:21 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Some comments about Tuesdays game:

1. This could be the last game before a short break for the Rockets as snow should shut down travel in Ohio for a few days. A date at Ball State Friday is unlikely as both are in the path of this Blizzard.

2. Toledo has sucked in Ypsi, but the level of play this time could be a rare time where they pull it off just because of consistency theyve shown.

3. Coach K has an annoying attitude about him. Not worse than Northerns old coach or Bobby Hurley but still that "personality." It was fuelled by the true rivalry EMU had with the Rockets for the better half of his carreer until last season.

4. Moss is the new player youll learn to hate. Hes cocky, and has a handful of Ts for anything from hanging on the rim to outward smack talk or shoving matches. JT4 energy if you will. But man i hated that guy, lol.

5. Farkhannahanahan is a good player. I doubt Rollins will guard him to stay out of foul trouble. Most likely Dennis or Moss who are strong guys who can get under a scorers skin.

6. Id hate if Rollins left... He has such potential to be an NBA guy. One more year and I think he eclipses Prestons potential (he should have stayed IMO). Toledo could go back to back and garner some national attention with everyone returning next year.

7. I hate that yall dont come to Savage this season. Its been a fun year at home and such a close rivalry should be played home and home annualy.
01-31-2022 04:33 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(01-31-2022 04:33 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Some comments about Tuesdays game:

1. This could be the last game before a short break for the Rockets as snow should shut down travel in Ohio for a few days. A date at Ball State Friday is unlikely as both are in the path of this Blizzard.

2. Toledo has sucked in Ypsi, but the level of play this time could be a rare time where they pull it off just because of consistency theyve shown.

3. Coach K has an annoying attitude about him. Not worse than Northerns old coach or Bobby Hurley but still that "personality." It was fuelled by the true rivalry EMU had with the Rockets for the better half of his carreer until last season.

4. Moss is the new player youll learn to hate. Hes cocky, and has a handful of Ts for anything from hanging on the rim to outward smack talk or shoving matches. JT4 energy if you will. But man i hated that guy, lol.

5. Farkhannahanahan is a good player. I doubt Rollins will guard him to stay out of foul trouble. Most likely Dennis or Moss who are strong guys who can get under a scorers skin.

6. Id hate if Rollins left... He has such potential to be an NBA guy. One more year and I think he eclipses Prestons potential (he should have stayed IMO). Toledo could go back to back and garner some national attention with everyone returning next year.

7. I hate that yall dont come to Savage this season. Its been a fun year at home and such a close rivalry should be played home and home annualy.

I think they get the Friday games in even if it means pushing them back to Saturday. This isn’t going to be a blizzard. Not enough wind for that. Just a boat load of snow.
01-31-2022 05:13 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

First, I always dislike home games against Toledo. It always seems their fans in attendance outnumber the EMU fans… Awkward.

Second, while I don’t think EMUs 3-5 start is reflective of what this team can be, this seems like Toledo’s year (maybe competing with Ohio). So it is a forgone conclusion EMU will be 3-6 after this one. (Maybe 3-7 after Ohio).

Our only realistic hope for the week is to steal one from Kent St on Saturday.
01-31-2022 05:43 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(01-31-2022 05:13 PM)adunifon Wrote:  

I think they get the Friday games in even if it means pushing them back to Saturday. This isn’t going to be a blizzard. Not enough wind for that. Just a boat load of snow.

Did you really hate JT4? He got good grades and was a science major. He really was not a troublemaker- maybe misunderstood.

Anyway, that game we stole from you a few years back, I remember well. My young daughter and I were heckling Toledo at the free throw line in the second half (I regret the bad parenting, but seemed to work).
01-31-2022 05:48 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(01-31-2022 05:48 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

Did you really hate JT4? He got good grades and was a science major. He really was not a troublemaker- maybe misunderstood.

Anyway, that game we stole from you a few years back, I remember well. My young daughter and I were heckling Toledo at the free throw line in the second half (I regret the bad parenting, but seemed to work).

This wasn’t directed at me, but watching him play it seemed like he had a terrible attitude on the floor at times. Now, I only watched the games where Toledo played emu, so I could be totally off base. Seemed like for his size and strength that he should have produced so much more on the court. I would have thought he’d dominate. Just my observations in limited sample size.
01-31-2022 06:13 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Just a little heads up, for those of us (maybe a couple) who have DirecTV and a sports pack, tomorrow's game will be televised.
01-31-2022 06:18 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2022 06:13 PM)adunifon Wrote:  

This wasn’t directed at me, but watching him play it seemed like he had a terrible attitude on the floor at times. Now, I only watched the games where Toledo played emu, so I could be totally off base. Seemed like for his size and strength that he should have produced so much more on the court. I would have thought he’d dominate. Just my observations in limited sample size.
About the best physical specimine Ive seen. Perkins and Mballa from Ub are in that category.

But he was always getting Td against us. Usually holding on to jump balls too long which would start or continue scuffles. He talked a lot of stuff to student sections AT UT when it would follow with 13 points and 5 rebounds. I agree. He just seemed lackadaisical of sorts when he had the tools to be a force. It was always other shooters and stretch zone players who gave us more fits. At least from memory. But dang was he fun to watch Knapke or Boothe go against.
01-31-2022 06:47 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

JT4 had the gangster attitude of John Thompson's Georgetown guys on the court. He was the poster child of Rob Murphy's deficiencies as a coach, truly great talent on the court when he arrived, not much better when he left although his discipline did decline much like that of Ray Lee, Murph's other fab recruit.

Say what we will about Todd, he is no Jason Candle, he has been heretofore the BEST coach in the "old coaching buddies" MAC West and now that the divisions are gone, he is doing rather well still. Assh-le or not, he has gotten the job done.

I remember the game where JT4 and the Toledo players conflicted vividly. It was, at best, a minor skirmish of competitive players. I was more surprised that the "Cadillac" of MAC programs, Toledo, had a color commentator resembling the talents of "Garth of Wayne's World", he clearly was bereft of professional skills. Without Garth, this would have been an non issue.
01-31-2022 06:57 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

Just looked in 10 or so games JT4 scored over 20 twice vs. UT and under 10 three times. Usually like 13 or 14 points and 8 to 12 boards. He was good but Minnie and Groce or Jackson usually had better offensive productions. Big Blocks were more his consistent annoyancy vs the Rockets.

But back to the main point of sucking at the then Convo... we scored in the 40s, 50s, and 60s far too often. Often 3 point reliant teams going very cold against that Zone.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2022 06:59 PM by UofToledoFans.)
01-31-2022 06:57 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu

JTIV attitude was a Boy Scout compared to Raven (Ray) Lee's.
01-31-2022 07:17 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Just a quick note Malcom Clements is no longer listed as a player on our roster. I believe he was #14.
01-31-2022 07:27 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Toledo is better and the zone is gone so matchups will be important and favor UT. Rollins is not leaving Toledo for another college team. Rockets are a tight knit group, Rollins has great relationships w the staff and has an offense tailored to his game. Most likely he returns for a year adds some strength and goes in the 1st round of the ‘23 draft (eligible until ‘25). He’s been playing on a gimpy ankle so not sure if you’ll see him at 100%

Toledos bench is not great but is improving and EMU won’t exploit it. Excited to watch the guards match up, wouldn’t be surprised if eagles hang around for a while. They will need to make contested jump shots
01-31-2022 09:59 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

BTW love when teams bring good crowds to Savage. I dont remember 1998 when Ohio State visited but obviously BG brings a couple hundred every year and EMU has brought a good section on occasions. No one else really does. Cant speak for Akron folks last weekend as i couldnt go...

Its got to be more motivation when Toledo brings a lot of gold to fill in behind the benches at EMU.
01-31-2022 10:35 PM
Macfan123 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Toledo
(01-31-2022 09:59 PM)pono Wrote:  Toledo is better and the zone is gone so matchups will be important and favor UT. Rollins is not leaving Toledo for another college team. Rockets are a tight knit group, Rollins has great relationships w the staff and has an offense tailored to his game. Most likely he returns for a year adds some strength and goes in the 1st round of the ‘23 draft (eligible until ‘25). He’s been playing on a gimpy ankle so not sure if you’ll see him at 100%

Toledos bench is not great but is improving and EMU won’t exploit it. Excited to watch the guards match up, wouldn’t be surprised if eagles hang around for a while. They will need to make contested jump shots

Why does everyone assume rollins is transferring up after this season?? I just don’t see it, he’s in a great spot at Toledo and transferring up is not always the best idea, I agree with you pono I think he comes back for one more year and then enters the draft but I do think if Toledo makes the tournament and he garners more buzz he MIGHT test the waters this year.
01-31-2022 11:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.