Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State @ Bowling Green State
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Kent State @ Bowling Green State
The Flashes head to the Stroh Center for a big matchup against the Falcons. Tip off is set for 5pm Eastern Standard and 2PM on the West Coast.
01-29-2022 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Kent State @ Bowling Green State
If anybody wants to know the score just ask. I watched the game on the West Coast earlier this afternoon.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2022 05:05 PM by burden.)
01-29-2022 05:05 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

I’m stuck in the transfer portal. It’s always 1:53 in here and the Omicron is everywhere!!

Go Flashes!
01-29-2022 05:06 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
We don't always win ugly, but we certainly always play ugly.
01-29-2022 05:40 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
I think Daequon Plowden is like a 19th year sophomore.
01-29-2022 05:41 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

If Plowden goes for 42, we probably lose.
01-29-2022 05:56 PM
Advertisement

FlashintheFan Offline
Water Engineer

Observation from today's game and the seasn: Does Justin Hamilton automatically get called for a foul as soon as he raises his arms. It sure seems like.

Sent from my SM-G955U using CSNbbs mobile app
01-29-2022 06:02 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(01-29-2022 05:40 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  We don't always win ugly, but we certainly always play ugly.

We just can’t shoot. Can’t make layups. 3-pointers. Forget it. Really bad. Very disappointing
01-29-2022 06:05 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

A tight ballgame in (or around) Wood County.
01-29-2022 06:42 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

Not getting much help from the whistles tonight.
01-29-2022 06:48 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

Missed a lot of easy looks in the first half, but putting 91 on the scoreboard is pretty good. And I am liking VCD.
01-29-2022 07:06 PM
Advertisement

burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Where did those 90 points come from? Like a different team in 2nd half.
01-29-2022 07:10 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I think we're seeing VCD turn a corner. His offensive game is starting to catch up to his solid defense and above average rebounding. I don't think his physicality is always easy to see on TV but there have been a couple times in person I've noticed him involved in a collision where he looks like a brick wall. 3 more years in the weight room he's going to be a load. Really excited to see if he can build on this recent momentum.

Nice win tonight.
01-29-2022 07:21 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(01-29-2022 07:21 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  I think we're seeing VCD turn a corner. His offensive game is starting to catch up to his solid defense and above average rebounding. I don't think his physicality is always easy to see on TV but there have been a couple times in person I've noticed him involved in a collision where he looks like a brick wall. 3 more years in the weight room he's going to be a load. Really excited to see if he can build on this recent momentum.

Nice win tonight.

Great points. Agree on Davis. 58 point 2nd half for us. Who saw that coming ?
01-29-2022 07:27 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

Nice W
01-29-2022 08:08 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I’d like to note before it gets forgotten how our coach, who’s been dealt such a difficult hand this year, has had some games where his coaching has clearly been the difference and the opposing coaches have not had answers to our game plan and in-game changes. The Akron and EMU games stand out as prime examples. Sendy just out coached Groce and Heath in both those games which you can tell by how confused and defeated those teams were. To some extent, this was true in the Toledo game and today as well when we put the clamps on the guys who were hurting us. Some games, it’s just about which players on which team get hot at the right time and coaching strategy doesn’t have a lot to do with it. Carry just took over today and that’s not coaching, that’s just talent. The Akron game was similar but they had no defensive answers and didn’t know what to do.

I know people like to jump on Sendy when we lose, but I’d argue our losses haven’t really been coaching issues as much as personnel problems. As this team gets healthy and the main rotation gets settled, I appreciate the great job Sendy does, and I don’t think there’s a better coach in the conference. (In fairness, I think the jury is still out on Boals. He’s done very well so far.) I sure wouldn’t trade Sendy, though. I think he’s outstanding.

I like this team’s chances in February and March. We’re sitting in 4th place and are 2-1 vs. the three teams ahead of us.
01-29-2022 08:22 PM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
(01-29-2022 08:22 PM)axeme Wrote:  I’d like to note before it gets forgotten how our coach, who’s been dealt such a difficult hand this year, has had some games where his coaching has clearly been the difference and the opposing coaches have not had answers to our game plan and in-game changes. The Akron and EMU games stand out as prime examples. Sendy just out coached Groce and Heath in both those games which you can tell by how confused and defeated those teams were. To some extent, this was true in the Toledo game and today as well when we put the clamps on the guys who were hurting us. Some games, it’s just about which players on which team get hot at the right time and coaching strategy doesn’t have a lot to do with it. Carry just took over today and that’s not coaching, that’s just talent. The Akron game was similar but they had no defensive answers and didn’t know what to do.

I know people like to jump on Sendy when we lose, but I’d argue our losses haven’t really been coaching issues as much as personnel problems. As this team gets healthy and the main rotation gets settled, I appreciate the great job Sendy does, and I don’t think there’s a better coach in the conference. (In fairness, I think the jury is still out on Boals. He’s done very well so far.) I sure wouldn’t trade Sendy, though. I think he’s outstanding.

I like this team’s chances in February and March. We’re sitting in 4th place and are 2-1 vs. the three teams ahead of us.

Axe, thank you, thank you. I have spent an hour after this game forming a post like yours with the same support. You saved me the effort and did a much better job than I could do. Sendy is the best proven coach in this league. He treats his players fairly, and he develops their talent. Some on this board have been less than supportive with their comments. You can knit pick any facet of coaching because it is very complex. Sendy gets the big picture with the best of them.
01-29-2022 10:23 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(01-29-2022 10:23 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  
(01-29-2022 08:22 PM)axeme Wrote:  I’d like to note before it gets forgotten how our coach, who’s been dealt such a difficult hand this year, has had some games where his coaching has clearly been the difference and the opposing coaches have not had answers to our game plan and in-game changes. The Akron and EMU games stand out as prime examples. Sendy just out coached Groce and Heath in both those games which you can tell by how confused and defeated those teams were. To some extent, this was true in the Toledo game and today as well when we put the clamps on the guys who were hurting us. Some games, it’s just about which players on which team get hot at the right time and coaching strategy doesn’t have a lot to do with it. Carry just took over today and that’s not coaching, that’s just talent. The Akron game was similar but they had no defensive answers and didn’t know what to do.

Axe, thank you, thank you. I have spent an hour after this game forming a post like yours with the same support. You saved me the effort and did a much better job than I could do. Sendy is the best proven coach in this league. He treats his players fairly, and he develops their talent. Some on this board have been less than supportive with their comments. You can knit pick any facet of coaching because it is very complex. Sendy gets the big picture with the best of them.

No coach is perfect, let's start with that.

But in Senderoff's case, this year, let's understand first, he has not had his projected starting lineup from the beginning of the season until now. And if the lineup for the jump ball you see now is far from typical Kent.

Second, without looking it up I would guess Kent has not had the same starting lineup more than four straight games since the start of the second semester, if not all year.

Third ... and this is huge ... for a team that has relied/prided itself on senior leadership for decades, I would venture to say JHam and TBeck have not been up to standard in that department, evidenced by the fact both are in/out of the starting lineup and are both inconsistent performers as well. The fact both are transfers may be a small factor but not the only factor. The problem is, next in line for leadership is another transfer (Carey) and a juco (Jacobs).

And this means the 'leadership' must come from the coaching staff. That's a heavy lift this day and age.

The positive sign is Garcia and VCD have put together a couple of games that offer hope if they can continue. Gio returned and hopefull his shot will as well. If one of the bigs starts to show something then .....

From this view, if Kent goes .500 over the final 10 regular season games that would be huge. Then what happens at Gund Arena happens.
01-29-2022 11:57 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

I've gone back and forth on Senderoff during his tenure, but at no time did I ever think him a "bad" coach. Years ago I finally came around to the Axme/ GFlash68 opinion. I looked at the current realties of coaching at Kent State, at a mid-major, in today's college basketball era and came to the realization that he's done a tremendous job.
01-30-2022 07:10 AM
anti-zip Offline
All American

Don't forget that there has been a lot of movement from his assistants too. It's always important for the coaching staff to be on the same page so they're giving a consistent message and that becomes harder when there is a lot of turnover with assistants. It probably helps some that most of the staff played for Senderoff at some point.
01-30-2022 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.