Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best Moments at Trask
Bookmark and Share
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Best Moments at Trask
Many derailing the NU game thread with best moments at Trask, but i thought it warranted it's own thread. What are your top moments at Trask?
Mine is definitely witnessing Blizzard break the school scoring Record.
01-26-2022 09:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ScribeHawk Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Best Moments at Trask
T.J. Carter's buzzer-beater at Homecoming 2006 to beat Northeastern is my personal favorite. Absolutely brutal game with Jose Juan Barea and Goldsberry beating the hell out of each other for 35+ minutes. Hawks shot 28.4 percent, and Barea ended up with five points on 2/12 from the field.

Can't find the box score, but the comeback win over Delaware that season was awesome, too. Goldsberry absolutely willed us back into that game.

And otherwise meaningless except that it was the last home game of my undergrad, beating ODU on Senior Day in 2008 was special because of how much we'd struggled with them over the past few years. Trask was AWESOME that day.
01-26-2022 10:58 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Best Moments at Trask
(01-26-2022 10:58 PM)ScribeHawk Wrote:  T.J. Carter's buzzer-beater at Homecoming 2006 to beat Northeastern is my personal favorite. Absolutely brutal game with Jose Juan Barea and Goldsberry beating the hell out of each other for 35+ minutes. Hawks shot 28.4 percent, and Barea ended up with five points on 2/12 from the field.

Can't find the box score, but the comeback win over Delaware that season was awesome, too. Goldsberry absolutely willed us back into that game.

And otherwise meaningless except that it was the last home game of my undergrad, beating ODU on Senior Day in 2008 was special because of how much we'd struggled with them over the past few years. Trask was AWESOME that day.

TJ buzzer beater is prob my #2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-26-2022 11:00 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(01-26-2022 10:58 PM)ScribeHawk Wrote:  Absolutely brutal game with Jose Juan Barea and Goldsberry beating the hell out of each other for 35+ minutes.

Goldsberry was a tough, tough SOB. High basketball IQ (dad was a coach), but almost like a football player mentally.
01-27-2022 06:43 AM
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
The Navy 1987 game even though they lost. You know the action was fierce when the Golden Girls got preempted. https://youtu.be/puM0sNI5yck
01-27-2022 08:24 AM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

My favorite memory at Trask is a game Anthony Terrell went off. The way I remember it, his dad came to see him play (I don't recall how unusual that was, but I'm sure somewhat since he was Texas). My HS basketball coach had asked for tickets and couldn't stop talking about him after the game. Most athletic player on the floor, seemingly got every rebound and was hitting mid-range jumpers. He had it all going. It was his sophomore year, and I thought he had a chance in the NBA.
01-27-2022 08:50 AM
Advertisement

SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

The night we opened Trask against #16 Wake Forest. We lost, but it was an electrifying night. Wake had trouble figuring the Martin twins out. Outplayed Wake. Had a 6 point lead down the stretch and suddenly the refs got whistle happy. including when one of the twins were called for carrying the ball when he was just walking the ball down court. No defender was near him and he was just dribbling it down. But, even though we lost, it was a great game.
01-27-2022 09:11 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2022 08:50 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  My favorite memory at Trask is a game Anthony Terrell went off. The way I remember it, his dad came to see him play (I don't recall how unusual that was, but I'm sure somewhat since he was Texas). My HS basketball coach had asked for tickets and couldn't stop talking about him after the game. Most athletic player on the floor, seemingly got every rebound and was hitting mid-range jumpers. He had it all going. It was his sophomore year, and I thought he had a chance in the NBA.

His athleticism was absurd! Loved his dunks. One of my favorites during that era and often overlooked. When we did that fantasy draft when Covid hit i had to make sure he was on my squad!
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2022 09:27 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
01-27-2022 09:19 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

(01-27-2022 09:19 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(01-27-2022 08:50 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  My favorite memory at Trask is a game Anthony Terrell went off. The way I remember it, his dad came to see him play (I don't recall how unusual that was, but I'm sure somewhat since he was Texas). My HS basketball coach had asked for tickets and couldn't stop talking about him after the game. Most athletic player on the floor, seemingly got every rebound and was hitting mid-range jumpers. He had it all going. It was his sophomore year, and I thought he had a chance in the NBA.

His athleticism was absurd! Loved his dunks

He was a huge Michael Jordan fan. That's why he wore #23. He actually got to meet MJ at Trask.
01-27-2022 09:23 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't remember the date but one home game against GMU, we were frustrating their big man George Evans so much with our defense that he slammed the ball down has hard as he could.

Everyone in the arena saw it except the 3 officials. The crowd went wild, like a bad guy getting away with cheating in a pro wrestling match.
01-27-2022 10:09 AM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

(01-27-2022 09:11 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  The night we opened Trask against #16 Wake Forest. We lost, but it was an electrifying night. Wake had trouble figuring the Martin twins out. Outplayed Wake. Had a 6 point lead down the stretch and suddenly the refs got whistle happy. including when one of the twins were called for carrying the ball when he was just walking the ball down court. No defender was near him and he was just dribbling it down. But, even though we lost, it was a great game.

Good one! That was awesome.

I was at the Navy game too in 87. Crazy stuff.
01-27-2022 11:51 AM
Advertisement

getmhawks Offline
2nd String

Scribe: I recall the game where we came back but couldn’t recall if it was Hofstra or Delaware. Man those Hofstra teams were electric at guard looking back through the old box scores (Agudio and Stokes etc). We had to pull out a full court press to win the game you are referencing and Goldsberry was incredible.

Another fond memory was Slattery knocking Blizzard to the ground in Trask. He was booed every time he touched the ball for the next 3 years.

The 02-03 team was fun and I recall watching Tim Burnette become a silky smooth offensive threat. It was apparent where our offense would come from after Blizz graduated. Had he not been kicked off the team, Brownell likely had enough fire power to win another CAA title in 03-04 and/or 04-05. What a blow that was to lose Timmy. He was a good kid. Shouldn’t have been kicked off and most likely wouldn’t be today.
01-27-2022 12:09 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

Best Moments at Trask
Many , many moons ago american university was at Trask we were up by two with Chris Meighn at the line for a one & one with about 10 seconds left. He misses the first & american hits a three pointer to go up one with two or three seconds left. We inbound to Chris at half court and he hits the half court shot at the buzzer. From goat (not the good kind) to hero in 10 seconds. Perhaps not the greatest moment but certainly an electric one.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
01-27-2022 12:39 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2022 12:09 PM)getmhawks Wrote:  Scribe: I recall the game where we came back but couldn’t recall if it was Hofstra or Delaware. Man those Hofstra teams were electric at guard looking back through the old box scores (Agudio and Stokes etc). We had to pull out a full court press to win the game you are referencing and Goldsberry was incredible.

Another fond memory was Slattery knocking Blizzard to the ground in Trask. He was booed every time he touched the ball for the next 3 years.

The 02-03 team was fun and I recall watching Tim Burnette become a silky smooth offensive threat. It was apparent where our offense would come from after Blizz graduated. Had he not been kicked off the team, Brownell likely had enough fire power to win another CAA title in 03-04 and/or 04-05. What a blow that was to lose Timmy. He was a good kid. Shouldn’t have been kicked off and most likely wouldn’t be today.
Good ole Slattery!!! Those Boos were loud AF too!!! I remember being right on the baseline during warmups in Richmond with several others chanting "slattery sucks" 10 feet away from him! Haha.
01-27-2022 01:59 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
Slattery was a good player but wow that was a huge mistake on his part and it went on for years ! Another peach was Jonathan Baker from Richmond who was a complete ass on the court at UNCW. Those games had a different level of intensity with them back in the day .
01-27-2022 03:56 PM
getmhawks Offline
2nd String

(01-27-2022 03:56 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Slattery was a good player but wow that was a huge mistake on his part and it went on for years ! Another peach was Jonathan Baker from Richmond who was a complete ass on the court at UNCW. Those games had a different level of intensity with them back in the day .

He was and I grew to respect him quite a bit. He wasn’t a bad guy.
01-27-2022 08:43 PM
Advertisement

Big Alpha Hawk Offline
Bench Warmer

Dennis Tobin dribbling out the basketball as time expired and throwing ball in air in celebration against Baptist College. Game was tied

Night we won our first regular season title and it was senior night. It was Bill Mayew senior night and it was a cry fest. sonny smith sat through the entire ceremony and went over and had a long talk with Bill afterwards that was respect

After Antoine Willies brother talked smack about our team we beat them badly in Trask and to end the game, Stewart Hare literally jumped over Willie and dunked on him. PJ Tucker was at game on unofficial visit and he ran down 10 rows of bleachers to the court. Best dunk I've seen in Trask
01-28-2022 10:30 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
The VCU game when my buddy Aaron (last name not mentioned for his privacy), myself and maybe one other student (I can't remember) moved from our Amber Bryant student section to the far side of the student section at halftime when VCU was running into the locker rooms. My buddy Aaron yelled at Capel's nephew concerning his less then gentlman-like behavior as it concerned Ms. Amber Bryant in the weeks/days leading up to the game. Coach Jeff Capel took immediate exception to the heckling and came over and took a close-fisted swing at my buddy Aaron. Security pulled Capel away after he missed (misses that game ran in the family). The refs never saw it, and thus no action was taken. One can only imagine how that could affect a coach's job these days.

What a fun and fantastic moment as a student though. It was the home VCU game in 2006.
01-28-2022 01:04 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-28-2022 01:04 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  The VCU game when my buddy Aaron (last name not mentioned for his privacy), myself and maybe one other student (I can't remember) moved from our Amber Bryant student section to the far side of the student section at halftime when VCU was running into the locker rooms. My buddy Aaron yelled at Capel's nephew concerning his less then gentlman-like behavior as it concerned Ms. Amber Bryant in the weeks/days leading up to the game. Coach Jeff Capel took immediate exception to the heckling and came over and took a close-fisted swing at my buddy Aaron. Security pulled Capel away after he missed (misses that game ran in the family). The refs never saw it, and thus no action was taken. One can only imagine how that could affect a coach's job these days.

What a fun and fantastic moment as a student though. It was the home VCU game in 2006.

That incident resulted in a policy which i still believe exists today where everyone in the student section must exit towards the front of the building
01-28-2022 01:23 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-28-2022 01:04 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  The VCU game when my buddy Aaron (last name not mentioned for his privacy), myself and maybe one other student (I can't remember) moved from our Amber Bryant student section to the far side of the student section at halftime when VCU was running into the locker rooms. My buddy Aaron yelled at Capel's nephew concerning his less then gentlman-like behavior as it concerned Ms. Amber Bryant in the weeks/days leading up to the game. Coach Jeff Capel took immediate exception to the heckling and came over and took a close-fisted swing at my buddy Aaron. Security pulled Capel away after he missed (misses that game ran in the family). The refs never saw it, and thus no action was taken. One can only imagine how that could affect a coach's job these days.

When I used to sit behind the cheerleaders by the door the opposing team comes in we all used to hang over the railings and taunt them as they came in or out. I can't repeat many of the things that were said! haha We had Fake donuts and were waiving them in the Face of Mason's Jai Lewis one game COGS
01-28-2022 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.