UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBR: Everyone that travels I-22 needs to read today's AL.com article
blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
NBR: Everyone that travels I-22 needs to read today's AL.com article
Police in this tiny Alabama town suck drivers into legal ‘black hole’

If you drive along I-22, stay in the right lane, drive well under the speed limit and use your turn signal for every maneuver. And you still may get pulled over by an unidentifiable person in an unmarked vehicle.

Brookside should have its municipal charter revoked and be wiped out of existence. The bully tactics, manufacturing of charges and acting outside of its lawful jurisdiction (up to 1.5 miles outside of town limits) are despicable. The author fails to note that as a town of approximately 1,250 residents they are prohibited by Alabama state law from patrolling the interstate even if the interstate actually runs through the town limits. (A city must have a population of a minimum of 19,000 residents).
01-19-2022 10:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kdblazer Offline
All American

RE: NBR: Everyone that travels I-22 needs to read today's AL.com article
Dirty tricksters. By their standards Birmingham should issue millions upon millions of traffic citations per year. Without I22 their budget would be nil to null.
01-19-2022 11:51 AM
BlazerDave Offline
1st String

(01-19-2022 10:39 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  Police in this tiny Alabama town suck drivers into legal ‘black hole’

If you drive along I-22, stay in the right lane, drive well under the speed limit and use your turn signal for every maneuver. And you still may get pulled over by an unidentifiable person in an unmarked vehicle.

Brookside should have its municipal charter revoked and be wiped out of existence. The bully tactics, manufacturing of charges and acting outside of its lawful jurisdiction (up to 1.5 miles outside of town limits) are despicable. The author fails to note that as a town of approximately 1,250 residents they are prohibited by Alabama state law from patrolling the interstate even if the interstate actually runs through the town limits. (A city must have a population of a minimum of 19,000 residents).

Fruithurst flashbacks!
01-19-2022 11:59 AM
mobileblazer Offline
DadofTwins

While I’ve never had the pleasure of dealing with this police force I did once receive a ticket for doing 47 in a 45, in Loxley.
01-19-2022 11:59 AM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
(01-19-2022 10:39 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  The author fails to note that as a town of approximately 1,250 residents they are prohibited by Alabama state law from patrolling the interstate even if the interstate actually runs through the town limits. (A city must have a population of a minimum of 19,000 residents).

This statement isn't accurate, but in your defense the DA I once worked for didn't know this law correctly either, and he'd tell you he was the smartest lawyer to ever walk the earth. The statute you're thinking of is 32-5A-171(8), which states "A law enforcement officer or a peace officer of any incorporated municipality or town which has less than 19,000 inhabitants according to the most recent federal decennial census shall not enforce this section on any interstate highway." I highlight those words because that section deals specifically with speeding. So, while a town with less than 19K cannot write a speeding ticket, they CAN patrol the interstate, and if they have probable cause to believe you committed some offense other than speeding, say, DUI, they do have authority to stop and arrest if it is within their jurisdiction.

That being said, I think your outrage here is well founded, and I'm a law enforcement kinda guy. To put this in perspective, here's how long it's been going on. Here is a link from ABC 33/40 from 2019 about the same issue in Brookside.

https://abc3340.com/news/abc-3340-news-i...department

Something needs to be done, for sure. It reminds of of other small towns who have a reputation of doing the same type stuff. Harpersville comes to mind.
01-19-2022 12:22 PM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

(01-19-2022 11:59 AM)mobileblazer Wrote:  While I’ve never had the pleasure of dealing with this police force I did once receive a ticket for doing 47 in a 45, in Loxley.

Loxley- my dad got popped there about 25 years ago doing about that speed in that speed zone...at about 2:00 in the morning, sober as a judge. Castleberry, down below Evergreen, comes to mind as well.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2022 12:25 PM by BatesUAB.)
01-19-2022 12:25 PM
Advertisement

BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

https://abc3340.com/news/abc-3340-news-i...paid-bills

Brookside's current chief was the owner of the business mentioned in this article.
01-19-2022 12:49 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

Harpersville for sure.
01-19-2022 01:17 PM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(01-19-2022 12:22 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  
(01-19-2022 10:39 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  The author fails to note that as a town of approximately 1,250 residents they are prohibited by Alabama state law from patrolling the interstate even if the interstate actually runs through the town limits. (A city must have a population of a minimum of 19,000 residents).

This statement isn't accurate, but in your defense the DA I once worked for didn't know this law correctly either, and he'd tell you he was the smartest lawyer to ever walk the earth. The statute you're thinking of is 32-5A-171(8), which states "A law enforcement officer or a peace officer of any incorporated municipality or town which has less than 19,000 inhabitants according to the most recent federal decennial census shall not enforce this section on any interstate highway." I highlight those words because that section deals specifically with speeding. So, while a town with less than 19K cannot write a speeding ticket, they CAN patrol the interstate, and if they have probable cause to believe you committed some offense other than speeding, say, DUI, they do have authority to stop and arrest if it is within their jurisdiction.

That being said, I think your outrage here is well founded, and I'm a law enforcement kinda guy. To put this in perspective, here's how long it's been going on. Here is a link from ABC 33/40 from 2019 about the same issue in Brookside.

Something needs to be done, for sure. It reminds of of other small towns who have a reputation of doing the same type stuff. Harpersville comes to mind.

Ah, I didn't realize that only applied to speeding. If that is the case, why did/does Argo enlist Hoover to patrol I-59 within its the Argo police jurisdiction? for the purposes of sharing seized drug proceeds? I'm not sure that relationship exists any longer now that Trussville has grown beyond 20,000 but I know for a fact that it was in place in the past.

I suppose the more glaring omission might be the 1.5 mile restriction that a smaller city may patrol outside its corporate limits. I doesn't appear that much, if any of I-22 falls within that allowed area. I believe the state recently reduced the range outside of city limits (from 3 miles for smaller cities) with the intention of eventually restricting municipal police forces to operation strictly within their respective corporate boundaries. Am I remembering that right?
01-19-2022 01:37 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

These one horse towns are trippin 03-drunk
01-19-2022 02:34 PM
scottycolsonblazer Offline
Water Engineer

That law was because an East Alabama State Senator got a couple of tickets. And yes it only applied to speeding. Apparently, he got hit a couple of times not involving legislative immunity.

01-19-2022 03:48 PM
Advertisement

KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

01-19-2022 04:11 PM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

(01-19-2022 01:37 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  

Ah, I didn't realize that only applied to speeding. If that is the case, why did/does Argo enlist Hoover to patrol I-59 within its the Argo police jurisdiction? for the purposes of sharing seized drug proceeds? I'm not sure that relationship exists any longer now that Trussville has grown beyond 20,000 but I know for a fact that it was in place in the past.

I suppose the more glaring omission might be the 1.5 mile restriction that a smaller city may patrol outside its corporate limits. I doesn't appear that much, if any of I-22 falls within that allowed area. I believe the state recently reduced the range outside of city limits (from 3 miles for smaller cities) with the intention of eventually restricting municipal police forces to operation strictly within their respective corporate boundaries. Am I remembering that right?

Don't know anything about the Argo/Hoover thing, but yeah, that's all the way across town. It very well could have been a multijurisdictional drug task force situation, which is pretty much what you referenced.

As for Brookside's 1 1/2 mile police jurisdiction beyond corporate limits- fooling around on Google Earth, it looks to me that the area between Cherry Ave, Exit 87, and Coalburg Road, Exit 93, fall within 1.5 miles. So, they've got about 6 miles of road to cover. Kinda reminds me of Spurbury in Super Troopers.

The legislature amended the statute back in 2020 about this. It's in Section 11-40-10 of the Code. Bottom line, they froze the jurisdiction where it was in January of 2021. So, whatever was in their jurisdiction they get to keep. But if they expand the corporate limits through annexation in the future, the police jurisdiction doesn't expand outward with it. The only way in the future to expand jurisdiction is to actually annex the dirt.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2022 05:05 PM by BatesUAB.)
01-19-2022 05:03 PM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

(01-19-2022 03:48 PM)scottycolsonblazer Wrote:  That law was because an East Alabama State Senator got a couple of tickets. And yes it only applied to speeding. Apparently, he got hit a couple of times not involving legislative immunity.

Stone cold fact.
01-19-2022 05:04 PM
Blazer Engineer Offline
Skull Splitter

(01-19-2022 03:48 PM)scottycolsonblazer Wrote:  That law was because an East Alabama State Senator got a couple of tickets. And yes it only applied to speeding. Apparently, he got hit a couple of times not involving legislative immunity.

I think it may have been Clanton that got a senator
01-19-2022 05:14 PM
Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

Yeah, John Archibald on Twitter had a pretty good thread about that. They couldn’t give speeding tickets so they’d manufacture something, even when false, about tag lights, following too closely, driving in left lane (even before “road rage” law took effect), etc.

Surely these officers know how morally corrupt this is. They aren’t making anyone safer with this craziness and you’d assume the individuals knew that.
01-20-2022 08:59 AM
Advertisement

Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/pastor-s...venge.html

For anyone interested, this also happened
01-20-2022 09:02 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2022 08:54 AM by BlazerGreen.)
01-26-2022 08:54 AM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
The best thing to come out of this will be the extending of the prohibitions on small towns regarding interstates from speeding tickets to a complete ban.

The eventual operating restriction on cities & towns and their respective police forces to strictly their corporate limits will end a lot of the other nonsense currently allowed by law in Alabama. (See Baldwin County and its municipalities).
01-26-2022 11:37 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Some movement in Brookside:

https://www.al.com/news/2022/02/brooksid...iling.html

I wondered when I read the first story, but didn't use the google until tonight (I suspect I didn't want to know):

Brookside Municipal Judge James Wooten, who gave the legal veneer to all of this ********, is the same Jimmy Wooten who was my friend and UAB classmate back in the day. It's kind of shocking. Well, not shocking, he's not the first person I've known to fall prey to a rotting of the soul. Disappointing, I guess.

At least they had their toys taken away; they have to give back their tank.
02-02-2022 01:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.